PDA

View Full Version : I think Gore just lost my vote

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 04:51 PM
If Condi or McCain doesn't run in 08, I probably would have voted for him in 08 over the rest of the garbage, but not now if this is the crap he's running with.

Bush Sr was right in calling him Mr Ozone.

I'm another step closer in switching parties over stupid **** like this.

linky

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-09-18T212718Z_01_N18271786_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT-GORE.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

Gore says tax pollution, not payrolls

By Gertrude Chavez-Dreyfuss

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore on Monday suggested taxing carbon dioxide emissions instead of employees' pay in a bid to stem global warming.

"Penalizing pollution instead of penalizing employment will work to reduce that pollution," Gore said in a speech at New York University School of Law.

The pollution tax would replace all payroll taxes, including those for Social Security and unemployment compensation, Gore said. He said the overall level of taxation, would remain the same.

"Instead of discouraging businesses from hiring more employees it would discourage business from producing more pollution," Gore said.

Gore, a longtime environmentalist, also proposed that the United States re-join any successor to the U.N. Kyoto Protocol for curbing global warming beyond 2012.

Scientists believe global warming is caused by the trapping of greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, in Earth's atmosphere. The consequences of this climate change include rising seas, stronger storms and intense heat waves.

Under the Kyoto global warming treaty, 35 industrialized nations -- but not the United States -- have agreed to cut carbon dioxide emissions to below 1990 levels.

President George W. Bush withdrew from the Kyoto pact in 2001, saying its caps on greenhouse gases would cost jobs.

"The absence of the United States from the treaty means that 25 percent of the world economy is now missing. It is like filling a bucket with a large hole in the bottom," Gore said.

Gore's proposals may be too radical to gain much support and are likely to be opposed by some business interests.

Many power companies are watching the U.S. government's every step on global warming. Any future national plan in the United States, the world's top emitter of greenhouse gases, to regulate such gases could force many companies to shut down coal-fired generation or add expensive carbon-capturing devices to their equipment.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2006, 04:58 PM
you were actually going to vote for him?

wow

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 05:01 PM
He wants us in the Kyoto Protocol. You know, the one that the entire Senate voted against 95-0 because it exempted India and China (among others). Despite all that's happened in the last 6 years, we're still better off with Bush than Gore.

mdklatt
9/19/2006, 05:04 PM
Bush Sr was right in calling him Mr Ozone.

Except that ozone isn't really related to global warming....

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 05:05 PM
you were actually going to vote for him?

wow

I voted for him in 2000. Granted, it was more of anybody but Bush vote.

Why are you surprised, I'm voting for Kinky remember.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2006, 05:06 PM
ahh yes, now i remember

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 05:06 PM

You work for Willie?????????????

skycat
9/19/2006, 05:07 PM
The guy two houses down has a Kinky yardsign.

I wouldn't mind so much if the colors weren't so freakin' horrible.

picasso
9/19/2006, 05:24 PM
Except that ozone isn't really related to global warming....
neither is Al Gore.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2006, 05:24 PM
neither is Al Gore.

right, they dont even have the same last name

crawfish
9/19/2006, 06:48 PM
He wants us in the Kyoto Protocol. You know, the one that the entire Senate voted against 95-0 because it exempted India and China (among others). Despite all that's happened in the last 6 years, we're still better off with Bush than Gore.

Oh, you mean the Kyoto "let's hurt the US economically but add provisions that will keep this from making a scrap of difference evironmentally" Protocol?

I've heard of it.

usmc-sooner
9/19/2006, 06:57 PM
I don't even think Bill Clinton voted for this fool.

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 07:03 PM
You work for Willie?????????????

I did do his taxes back in my college days. ;)

Jerk
9/19/2006, 08:37 PM
Think this is bad?

They have a tax on cow and sheep emissions down in New Zealand.

A Fart Tax! (http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0620-06.htm)

Friggin' enviro wackos.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 08:48 PM

most people I know are also voting for Kinky...

and these are the same folks that voted for Perry 4 years ago.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2006, 09:42 AM
If Condi and Hillary run, we'd have a good shot a lesbian President. That would rule.

The
9/20/2006, 09:46 AM
If Condi and Hillary run, it would be a good year to run as a third party candidate.

NormanPride
9/20/2006, 09:48 AM
If Condi and Hillary run, we'd have a good shot a lesbian President. That would rule.

No, a HOT lesbian president would rule. :mad:

skycat
9/20/2006, 10:03 AM

I'm guessing having a lesbian president is much like having lesbian neighbors.

A whole lot better in theory than in practice.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/20/2006, 10:07 AM
I think we should elect a big black women and have her stand up in the UN and say stuff like "Oh No you didn't Iran!!"

tbl
9/20/2006, 10:36 AM
So.... eliminating all payroll taxes would be considered a bad thing????

JohnnyMack
9/20/2006, 11:11 AM
I think we should elect a big black women and have her stand up in the UN and say stuff like "Oh No you didn't Iran!!"

I'd vote for Oprah before I'd vote for Hillary, I know that much.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:14 AM
I'd vote for Oprah before Hillary or Condi!!!

C&CDean
9/20/2006, 11:15 AM
I'd vote for Oprah before Hillary or Condi!!!

Yeah, me too. For the person I'd most like to see lose her ****ing voice box.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, me too. For the person I'd most like to see lose her ****ing voice box.

:les:I'd vote for you to shut it!!!!!

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 11:48 AM
So.... eliminating all payroll taxes would be considered a bad thing????

Only if it reduces pollution, apparently. I don't understand the big fuss over Gore's idea, although I think putting it into practice would be a giant cluster****. If the goal is reduce pollution, doesn't that also mean you're constantly reducing government revenues? That would be great if it meant concomitant reduction in the size of government--but we all know know that's not going to happen.

sooner_born_1960
9/20/2006, 11:58 AM
If my income taxes where eliminated, I'd be able to afford another SUV and a motor boat to tow to the lake. Take that, Al Gore.

OklahomaTuba
9/20/2006, 12:02 PM
Is he still living a "carbon neutral" lifestyle???

Anything that gets rid of taxing income is OK with me. Tax consumption for goodness sake. Don't penalize people for working!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/20/2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone who is considering either Condi or Gore for the same job is perplexing, no?

9/20/2006, 01:59 PM
Is he still living a "carbon neutral" lifestyle???

Anything that gets rid of taxing income is OK with me. Tax consumption for goodness sake. Don't penalize people for working!!Taxing spending discourages spending, thereby punishing economic growth.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 02:06 PM
Taxing spending discourages spending, thereby punishing economic growth.

Taxing spending certainly seems more counerproductive than taxing income. Who has ever said, "I'd like to make more money, but I just couldn't afford the extra income tax"???

9/20/2006, 02:36 PM
Taxing spending certainly seems more counerproductive than taxing income. Who has ever said, "I'd like to make more money, but I just couldn't afford the extra income tax"???One of those weird times when we agree(unless you're being facetious).

tbl
9/20/2006, 03:48 PM
That would be great if it meant concomitant reduction in the size of government--but we all know know that's not going to happen.
Too bad a word like "concomitant" took away the good point you were trying to convey... :D

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:04 PM
(unless you're being facetious).

Not at all.