PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER new TV thread

tbl
9/19/2006, 03:30 PM
So I'm pretty much sold on the DLP projection technology over Plasma and LCD. Now I face the conundrum of which DLP to get. The last time I bought a TV was a 27" Sony, standard tube screen.

I've always been a Sony guy, but all the sales reps out there talk about is Samsung, saying they're the new Sony (whatever that means). Any opinions on what brand is best?

I'm seeing pretty big price differences between the light processing engine numbers. The 1080p 56" is $2,599 while the 720p is $1,999. Is it really that big of a difference? I didn't see much while I was in the showroom, but it seems like it would be (2,500:1 contrast versus 10,000:1). Looking through the features of the two TV's, that's really the only difference.

Of course they're really touting the service plan, but I think it's nuts. $400 for four years, when the new lamp costs $500. Has anybody ever actually used the service plan and found them useful? The only thing I've bought a service plan for is for my lazboy, and that's a 10 year deal for $50 and they'll replace the entire chair if I set it on fire while trying to light a fart. Electronics always seem to have more loopholes.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 03:37 PM
So I'm pretty much sold on the DLP projection technology over Plasma and LCD. Now I face the conundrum of which DLP to get. The last time I bought a TV was a 27" Sony, standard tube screen.

I've always been a Sony guy, but all the sales reps out there talk about is Samsung, saying they're the new Sony. Any opinions on what brand is best?

I'm seeing pretty big price differences between the light processing engine numbers. The 1080p 56" is $2,599 while the 720p is $1,999. Is it really that big of a difference? I didn't see much while I was in the showroom, but it seems like it would be (2,500:1 contrast versus 10,000:1). Looking through the features of the two TV's, that's really the only difference.

Of course they're really touting the service plan, but I think it's nuts. $400 for four years, when the new lamp costs $500. Has anybody ever actually used the service plan and found them useful? The only thing I've bought a service plan for is for my lazboy, and that's a 10 year deal for $50 and they'll replace the entire chair if I set it on fire while trying to light a fart. Electronics always seem to have more loopholes.

OK well lets clear up a few things.
1. THere is no such thing as a true 1080p dlp. They use wobulation circuitry to create the extra pixels.
2. Which one of the 986,001 parts in the DLP will break first.

3. Lamps for rear projection televisions are around 200.00-225.00
4.I would buy a warr for a DLP no question. See #2

5. LCD and PLasma are flat panel TV's. Totally different than rear projectors.
6. There is no standard for contrast measurement and they only list that on flat panel lcd sets. Pay no attention to the numbers. trust your eyes on the reset picture setting.

If your wanting a set that is 50-55 inch. Go with the KDS50A2000 or the KDS55A2000 2247.00 and 2799.00 respectively. Both are true 1080p Liquid crystal on silicon technologies. Exptremely reliable as well. No moving parts. both Sonys.

Lamps last approx. 4000-5000 hrs No warr on SXRD technology is OK.

Hope that helps.

achiro
9/19/2006, 03:38 PM

I've always been a Sony guy, but all the sales reps out there talk about is Samsung, saying they're the new Sony (whatever that means). Any opinions on what brand is best?

I was at a local place a few days ago looking at the dlp's as well. They had a samsung right next to a sony playing the same thing and the sony had a much better picture fwiw.

I'm curious though, why a dlp instead of a plasma at that price range?

BoogercountySooner
9/19/2006, 03:43 PM
I bought a 50" Sony SXRD and love it. I will say for $3100 dollars I didn't have a problem not throwing anything at it on Saturday during the debacle in Oregon.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 03:43 PM
clear up a few more things.

My replacement lamp was $160.

The only part that has had to be replaced in my DLP was the color wheel. The bearing went out. It was $250 installed.

SoonerInKCMO
9/19/2006, 03:44 PM
And here I thought 85 was just making up words when he wrote 'wobulation'.

DLP (Digital Light Processing), a low-cost leader in big-screen HDTV technology, uses a chip with thousands of micromirrors to display pictures. But there’s a limit to how small the mirrors can become and still produce a good image. Texas Instruments, which makes the DLP chips, maxed out with its 1,280-by-720 array, short of the highest-quality HD resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels. So HP created Wobulation, a technique that takes advantage of the fact that TI’s new DLP mirrors can oscillate every 1/120 of a second to create a series of overlapping pixels, which the eye melds together. The result is two visible pixels for each physical mirror, or a true 1,920-by-1,080 picture. Available late next year

mrowl
9/19/2006, 03:44 PM
and my original lamp lasted 8000 hours.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 03:55 PM
clear up a few more things.

My replacement lamp was $160.

The only part that has had to be replaced in my DLP was the color wheel. The bearing went out. It was $250 installed.

We have been replacing alot of those.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 03:57 PM
And here I thought 85 was just making up words when he wrote 'wobulation'.

DLP (Digital Light Processing), a low-cost leader in big-screen HDTV technology, uses a chip with thousands of micromirrors to display pictures. But there’s a limit to how small the mirrors can become and still produce a good image. Texas Instruments, which makes the DLP chips, maxed out with its 1,280-by-720 array, short of the highest-quality HD resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels. So HP created Wobulation, a technique that takes advantage of the fact that TI’s new DLP mirrors can oscillate every 1/120 of a second to create a series of overlapping pixels, which the eye melds together. The result is two visible pixels for each physical mirror, or a true 1,920-by-1,080 picture. Available late next year

Thank you grasshopper

TopDaugIn2000
9/19/2006, 04:00 PM
I had my mind set on a 60" DLP sony, until I saw the depth of that sucker. If you have a corner to put the TV in (as my parents do), it'll never be noticed. The way my house is laid out though, the side of the TV is the FIRST thing you see when walking in the front door. I just couldn't stand it, so I decided on plasma. Since the technology is so new, I decided to go ahead and fork over the $400 for the 4 yr warranty. If it goes out after that, I'm sure there will be something NEW AND BETTER that I'll just have to have.

And I got a Pioneer even though I'm a Sony fan, cause I was told they're the best

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 04:03 PM
I had my mind set on a 60" DLP sony, until I saw the depth of that sucker. If you have a corner to put the TV in (as my parents do), it'll never be noticed. The way my house is laid out though, the side of the TV is the FIRST thing you see when walking in the front door. I just couldn't stand it, so I decided on plasma. Since the technology is so new, I decided to go ahead and fork over the $400 for the 4 yr warranty. If it goes out after that, I'm sure there will be something NEW AND BETTER that I'll just have to have.

And I got a Pioneer even though I'm a Sony fan, cause I was told they're the best

Did you get the 60" pioneer. If so SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT.

I am thinking of picking one of those up soon myself.

skycat
9/19/2006, 04:09 PM
In two years I want a ~50" SED for $4000 - $5000.

Make it happen 85. :mad:

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 04:13 PM
In two years I want a ~50" SED for $4000 - $5000.

Make it happen 85. :mad:

Still no word on that. It is still way out from the way everyone is talking.

skycat
9/19/2006, 04:16 PM
<sigh>

Thanks for the info. About what I figured.

TopDaugIn2000
9/19/2006, 04:42 PM
Did you get the 60" pioneer. If so SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT.

I am thinking of picking one of those up soon myself.

I got the 50"

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 04:45 PM
I got the 50"

Thats right , I remember. Everything going good?

TopDaugIn2000
9/19/2006, 05:50 PM
yup! so far so good!

Tyrone doesn't like to get out much, but he sure is nice to look at.

achiro
9/19/2006, 05:51 PM
Since we are talking about it here I will go ahead and ask. The reason I was looking at the dlp's is that I have been told that they are the best for gaming. Is this true?

hurricane'bone
9/19/2006, 05:55 PM
All the numbers confuse me...1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc.

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 06:03 PM
I don't think I'd buy a plasma. Not interested in something with image burn-in potential. I already have that potential problem with my CRT projector so I'm always paranoid the kids are going to go off and leave it running with the DVR paused.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:09 PM
Since we are talking about it here I will go ahead and ask. The reason I was looking at the dlp's is that I have been told that they are the best for gaming. Is this true?

No! on the contrary, they are the worst for gamers especially,

Most of them have a 1/10,000th of a second delay. So you will miss alot of kicks in football and hook alot of T shots. Once you get adjusted and try and play on another set you will have to adjust back.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:12 PM
I don't think I'd buy a plasma. Not interested in something with image burn-in potential. I already have that potential problem with my CRT projector so I'm always paranoid the kids are going to go off and leave it running with the DVR paused.

Ever owned a TV? It had Burn in potential. Seriously, yes plasmas can burn in but if you have never burned in a TV before you probably won't now. Just use due care. (little secret) also if you should notice burnin starting just put on a white noise signal over night and that should help.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:15 PM
All the numbers confuse me...1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc.

1080i - HD signal that employs 1080 lines of resolution sparated into odd and even scans.

720p - HD signal comprosed of 720 lines of resolution presented simultaneously

1080i and 720p are pretty indistinguishable from each other and are used by the networks to manage their bandwidth.

1080p - is comprised of 1080 lines of resolution presented simultaneously and currently only avaiable in the Blu Ray dvd format.

Got it?

tbl
9/19/2006, 07:29 PM
My concern with plasma is the life expectancy on them. With a DLP, you can simply replace the lamp or the parts, but when a plasma goes out, that's it.

Is that correct?

tbl
9/19/2006, 07:29 PM
BTW, I thought the Philips plasma with Ambilight was AWESOME.

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 07:31 PM
85, I know you've probably said it before but what are the pro's and con's on LCD, Plasma, and DLP?

I'm wanting a Samsung when I get my bonus, but other then that I'm clueless on what to get.

hurricane'bone
9/19/2006, 07:33 PM
Yes.

Sounds like right now, 1080p is kinda worthless.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:39 PM
Plamsa TV's (from major manufacturers) have a half life of 60k hours. No need to worry.

Plasma - Flat Panel, overall best picture, Pioneer recommended
LCD flat Panel- Good picture you get what you pay for. generally smaller sizes.
for sizes over 40:" then go with plasma, Sony recommended, then samsung

DLP- I am sorry, but I just do not like them, won't own one and won't recommend them. OK picture, 986K moving parts

LCD rear Projection- Great choice for 42-70" sets. Sony makes the best and are priced very reasonably. Sony is the one here

LCOS- Sony sxrd technology, true 1920x 1080 resolution, fantastic reliability and priced reasonably 2250.00 and up (my resommendation)

Geesh I can;t wait til my website gets up, it will get down to the details on all of this but I must admit that I am a little easier on DLP there. don't want to flame too much and P1$$ of TI.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 08:19 PM
the only moving parts in a dlp tv is the color wheel, the 6 different fans to cool the lamp, and the DLP chip itself (if you consider micro movements)

tbl
9/19/2006, 08:22 PM
986,000 moving parts sounded a little excessive. ;)

tbl
9/19/2006, 08:22 PM
Does startup/shutdown affect the life of the Plasma's, or is it strictly hours?

tbl
9/19/2006, 08:26 PM
So rear projection LCD? What's the life like on those bad boys? Obviously I'm very leary about the plasma...

mrowl
9/19/2006, 08:50 PM
burn in would suck.

with the baby now, I sometimes pause a show up to 20-30 minutes while changing, feeding, etc.

Any possibility of a tv with burn in would not work for my family now...

BoogercountySooner
9/19/2006, 09:34 PM
LCOS- Sony sxrd technology, true 1920x 1080 resolution, fantastic reliability and priced reasonably 2250.00 and up (my resommendation)

This what I have in a 50" TV.:D

tbl
9/20/2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I was looking through the Sony LCD projections, and I was wondering what the difference was between the KDF & KDS versions. The KDF is less expensive by $1,000, but I'm sure there's a reason for it. Is the picture quality THAT much better?

85, where does one find the prices you listed for the KDS versions? Best Buy is around $200 more than you put on your post.

85Sooner
9/20/2006, 08:19 AM
986,000 moving parts sounded a little excessive. ;)

When one of those mirrors gets stuck open or closed, you will feel diferently. I promise. The actual number is 983,040 moving mirrors and you are right about the fans and color wheel. We have never had any trouble with the fans.

85Sooner
9/20/2006, 08:20 AM
burn in would suck.

with the baby now, I sometimes pause a show up to 20-30 minutes while changing, feeding, etc.

Any possibility of a tv with burn in would not work for my family now...

Esy solution, when you pause, turn the set off. Then no chance of burnin.

tbl
9/20/2006, 08:22 AM
You've sold me on the LCD projection...

TopDaugIn2000
9/20/2006, 08:36 AM
Esy solution, when you pause, turn the set off. Then no chance of burnin.

that's what I do

49r
9/20/2006, 11:26 AM
Mitsubishi makes some pretty good looking DLP sets too. Don't know if they suck or whatnot.

DLP's used to have a really bad time handling images with lots of motion (sports, action movies, etc.) and while they've cleared up those problems quite a bit, it is something that should factor in a person's decision to buy. It's why I chose Plasma.

oilmud
9/20/2006, 12:12 PM
Mitsubishi makes some pretty good looking DLP sets too. Don't know if they suck or whatnot.

DLP's used to have a really bad time handling images with lots of motion (sports, action movies, etc.) and while they've cleared up those problems quite a bit, it is something that should factor in a person's decision to buy. It's why I chose Plasma.

I have the new 65" Mits. It has an sweet pic, however you're right somtimes it seems to "lag" during ball games. Still a great set for the money and its 1080p.

85Sooner
9/20/2006, 02:27 PM

Also most mits do not reproduce high definition signals. I refer you to a review/test in May home theatre magazine. All new sonys pass. Toshiba's were the only DLP brand to pass on every set. Samsung failed as well on some of theirs.

Sooner Traveler
9/20/2006, 03:19 PM
85 Sooner-

Great info here. I am looking at the Sony 50" Grand WEGA #KDF50E2000 and price quoted is $1999.

It appears from your posts that you recommend the LCD's - thoughts on this versus others and should I have any reservations about this TV. What about the warranty on LCD?

Thanks in advance.

Taxman71
9/20/2006, 03:26 PM
Per 85, I got the 50" Sony LCD Rear Projection (KDF-E50A10) a year ago and it rocks. Unless you are going for something 60" or above, I don't see any advantage to 1080p over 720p (IMHO). Plus, the Sony LCD-RP have come way down in price (mine is now about $1600 at Best Buy). For that price, you can get an extended warranty from Sony (around $200) or another vendor (like 85), sit back and enjoy.

My next HDTV will be a flat panel LCD however for another room.

tbl
9/20/2006, 03:42 PM
I'm heading to Best Buy tomorrow to check out the differences between the KDF & KDS versions. I've always liked Sony, so I'm glad an expert is recommending them. Thanks again 85!

Thanks for the input taxman. I was really thinking about the KDS version, but I was having trouble rationalizing the $1,000 difference. We'll see tomorrow, but it'll have to be pretty amazing for me to fork that much more out. Considering my jew-like tendencies, I'm pretty sure which way I'll end up going. ;)

85Sooner
9/20/2006, 04:29 PM
85 Sooner-

Great info here. I am looking at the Sony 50" Grand WEGA #KDF50E2000 and price quoted is $1999.

It appears from your posts that you recommend the LCD's - thoughts on this versus others and should I have any reservations about this TV. What about the warranty on LCD?

Thanks in advance.

Try more around 1699.00 you should be able to get it for that.
OK

Taxman71
9/20/2006, 04:40 PM
I'm heading to Best Buy tomorrow to check out the differences between the KDF & KDS versions. I've always liked Sony, so I'm glad an expert is recommending them. Thanks again 85!

Thanks for the input taxman. I was really thinking about the KDS version, but I was having trouble rationalizing the $1,000 difference. We'll see tomorrow, but it'll have to be pretty amazing for me to fork that much more out. Considering my jew-like tendencies, I'm pretty sure which way I'll end up going. ;)
The only real difference between the KDF and KDS that I know of is the KDF has the cablecard while the KDS replaced the cablecard with an extra HDMI connection.

Definitely do your research at www.avsforum.com (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/www.avsforum.com) to get all the answers. Their threads on these specific models are quite extensive.

Caution: the information you learn after a few hours on the avsforum will blow the mind of any BestBuy worker. Compare and play with the TVs but don't rely on any of their information. I had to educate them when I bought mine.

85Sooner
9/20/2006, 04:53 PM
The only real difference between the KDF and KDS that I know of is the KDF has the cablecard while the KDS replaced the cablecard with an extra HDMI connection.

Definitely do your research at www.avsforum.com (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/www.avsforum.com) to get all the answers. Their threads on these specific models are quite extensive.

Caution: the information you learn after a few hours on the avsforum will blow the mind of any BestBuy worker. Compare and play with the TVs but don't rely on any of their information. I had to educate them when I bought mine.

And be careful on AVS forum as well. The KDF series is the 3 LCD 720p series. 2006 models had cable card. 2007 models do not and correct there is one more hdmi interface.

The KDS series is the SXRD techology or liquid crystal on silicone. 1080p.
It is the only true 1080p rear projection set on the market. cable card will only be included on the XBR series due out later this month.

tbl
9/20/2006, 04:54 PM
Their layout colors are burning my rods and cones....

49r
9/20/2006, 05:24 PM
Their layout colors are burning my rods and cones....

Yeah, you'd think that a bunch of geeks concerned with visual quality in their home theater equipment would be a little more concerned about how freakin ugly their message board is.

I guess nobody accused them of being web designers, though, huh?

Taxman71
9/21/2006, 06:40 AM
And be careful on AVS forum as well. The KDF series is the 3 LCD 720p series. 2006 models had cable card. 2007 models do not and correct there is one more hdmi interface.

The KDS series is the SXRD techology or liquid crystal on silicone. 1080p.
It is the only true 1080p rear projection set on the market. cable card will only be included on the XBR series due out later this month.

Correct. I was thinking of the difference between last year's KDF and this year's KDF models (didn't check the model #). SXRD is different technology and may be worth the extra dough. I am just glad they redesigned the SXRD to look like the KDF without the unnecessary width on the sides.

tbl
9/22/2006, 01:17 PM
Okay... so I got the Sony KDF46E2000. I got it all hooked up but I haven't got to experience the HD yet b/c I have no HD source. I'm probably going to get the DirecTV HD-DVR, since the morans at Dish won't upgrade me. The DVD's look pretty cool, but I'm only using the S-video since I don't have all the component wires. I'm really kind of wondering if it's worth it...

I'm kind of confused on something. I bought an HD TV around a year ago (then took it back 8 days after I got it) and all I had to do was hook up rabbit ears and I could get all the local HD programming. I tried that with this TV and no luck. Am I doing something wrong on that?

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 01:40 PM
My $0.02:

1. Buy an HD antenna if you don't get all your local HD through your provider. In OKC area, we don't get FoxHD from Cox so I bought the Terk5 antenna ($50 at BB) to get FoxHD over the air.

2. Always use component cables, DVI or HDMI for your DVD player and game console. It makes a huge difference.

3. In order for the Sony to pickup OTA HD channels, you must run the setup feature in the menu to allow it to recognize and lock in the channels. Run this feature and it should work.

85Sooner
9/22/2006, 01:48 PM
My $0.02:

1. Buy an HD antenna if you don't get all your local HD through your provider. In OKC area, we don't get FoxHD from Cox so I bought the Terk5 antenna ($50 at BB) to get FoxHD over the air.

2. Always use component cables, DVI or HDMI for your DVD player and game console. It makes a huge difference.

3. In order for the Sony to pickup OTA HD channels, you must run the setup feature in the menu to allow it to recognize and lock in the channels. Run this feature and it should work.

and get rid of all of your S-video cables, they are no longer of use.

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 02:17 PM
OK well lets clear up a few things.
1. THere is no such thing as a true 1080p dlp. They use wobulation circuitry to create the extra pixels.
2. Which one of the 986,001 parts in the DLP will break first.

3. Lamps for rear projection televisions are around 200.00-225.00
4.I would buy a warr for a DLP no question. See #2

5. LCD and PLasma are flat panel TV's. Totally different than rear projectors.
6. There is no standard for contrast measurement and they only list that on flat panel lcd sets. Pay no attention to the numbers. trust your eyes on the reset picture setting.

If your wanting a set that is 50-55 inch. Go with the KDS50A2000 or the KDS55A2000 2247.00 and 2799.00 respectively. Both are true 1080p Liquid crystal on silicon technologies. Exptremely reliable as well. No moving parts. both Sonys.

Lamps last approx. 4000-5000 hrs No warr on SXRD technology is OK.

Hope that helps.

I agree with this post except for the models of LCoS you have listed. LCoS is the best way to go for now but you need to get the JVC models. They get much better marks on just about all scores/ratings plus theyare a little cheaper. In fact you can get last years JVC LCoS (aka HD ILA) around 1600 for their 56".

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 02:21 PM
Okay... so I got the Sony KDF46E2000. I got it all hooked up but I haven't got to experience the HD yet b/c I have no HD source. I'm probably going to get the DirecTV HD-DVR, since the morans at Dish won't upgrade me. The DVD's look pretty cool, but I'm only using the S-video since I don't have all the component wires. I'm really kind of wondering if it's worth it...

I'm kind of confused on something. I bought an HD TV around a year ago (then took it back 8 days after I got it) and all I had to do was hook up rabbit ears and I could get all the local HD programming. I tried that with this TV and no luck. Am I doing something wrong on that?

Do not get suckered by DirecTV. Wait until October! The new MPEG4 DVR's are suppose to out by then. If you order now, just order regular H20 RX's from Direct then in Oct/Nov when the MPEG4 DVR's are out you can upgrade. If you order an HD DVR from them now they will send you the MPEG2 version which will not work for any of their MPEG4 channels. Most importantly are most of the Locals in HD are MPEG4. Most any new channels will likely be MPEG4 as well. Be careful, they won't explain anything unless you ask.

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 02:40 PM
I read that the JVC DILA sets had some quality control issues and consistently delayed their release over the past couple of years. Again, I would do my research on the avsforum before buying any specific model for known issues (nearly every brand and model has some sort of issue these days).

tbl
9/22/2006, 02:50 PM
Do not get suckered by DirecTV. Wait until October! The new MPEG4 DVR's are suppose to out by then. If you order now, just order regular H20 RX's from Direct then in Oct/Nov when the MPEG4 DVR's are out you can upgrade. If you order an HD DVR from them now they will send you the MPEG2 version which will not work for any of their MPEG4 channels. Most importantly are most of the Locals in HD are MPEG4. Most any new channels will likely be MPEG4 as well. Be careful, they won't explain anything unless you ask.
Thanks for that! I was thinking of doing it pretty quick so I'll definitely hold off. Do you know when exactly they will make the change?

I think the problem is that when I lived in Fort Worth I could pick up the local HD channels b/c I was in town. Here in Atlanta, I'm out in the sticks so I'm thinking my trusty old rabbit ears aren't going to cut it.

I'm not buying an HD antenna b/c they're literally the same as a standard antenna. I'll just have to get a bigger/more powerful VHF/UHF version. Thanks guys!

tbl
9/22/2006, 02:52 PM
and get rid of all of your S-video cables, they are no longer of use.
So what now? All components? Those suckers are expensive!

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 03:05 PM
I have found that expensive cables are not worth it. I have found the acoustic research cables at BestBuy are nice quality at a reasonable price.

As for your antenna, it depends. Normal rabbit ears did nothing for my Sony LCD, but the Terk5 works like a charm. If yours does not work well, you should check out this site to see what type you need:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

tbl
9/22/2006, 03:51 PM
Oh dude.... You freaking ROCK!!! I've been googling for this and I couldn't find it. I'm way too far away from the towers for standard rabbit ears.

tbl
9/22/2006, 03:53 PM
Apparently IMSSRA before giving it to taxman again...

85Sooner
9/22/2006, 03:59 PM
So what now? All components? Those suckers are expensive!

S-Video bypasses the internal processing of the TV. THat is what you bought it for. Use componant for Cable box and DVD and composite for VHS.

tbl
9/22/2006, 04:10 PM
So in the meantime, would I be better off using the yellow/red/white cables for my TV and just trashing the S-Video?

tbl
9/22/2006, 04:12 PM
There's a glitch in the Matrix. Apparently I am now Sooner All-World with 1,251,787 posts. Top that!

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 04:20 PM
So in the meantime, would I be better off using the yellow/red/white cables for my TV and just trashing the S-Video?

I would try both ways, but I doubt you will notice much difference either way. Just go pick up some components (even at Wal Mart for $10) and you will be fine.

Enjoy, you have an awesome tv set.

85Sooner
9/22/2006, 04:21 PM

Yes

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for that! I was thinking of doing it pretty quick so I'll definitely hold off. Do you know when exactly they will make the change?

I think the problem is that when I lived in Fort Worth I could pick up the local HD channels b/c I was in town. Here in Atlanta, I'm out in the sticks so I'm thinking my trusty old rabbit ears aren't going to cut it.

I'm not buying an HD antenna b/c they're literally the same as a standard antenna. I'll just have to get a bigger/more powerful VHF/UHF version. Thanks guys!

Thats funny...I am in ATL as well....Where are you at?

I hooked up my friend with a 60mile gain UHF antenna and he picks up everything perfectly out at Lake Lanier.

As far as "the switch" with Direc it has already happened. What I was trying to explain is to just order the regular H20 (non DVR) RX. Then when the DVR's come out later in the year you won't spend as much money. The H20 RX will get you all the locals in HD right now, it just is not a DVR.

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 04:46 PM
Make sure you ask for that specific model as well. What Direct does sometimes is try to pawn off last years HD RX's to unsuspecting peeps in order to get rid of them. Last years model in not MPEG4 capable. Anything that you do with DirecTV, you need to make sure that it is MPEG4 ready.

tbl
9/22/2006, 06:14 PM
Apparently I need a more powerful antenna b/c the 45db one I got from the Wal-Marts ain't cutting it. What model did you hook your buddy up with? I'm gonna need the full juice.

I'm out in Dallas/Paulding County (SW of Marietta).

tbl
9/22/2006, 06:16 PM
I looked up my old address in TX and it wasn't much different as far as how far my house is from the antenna's, but I can't get squat here. Maybe all the hills have something to do with it....

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 06:25 PM
Apparently I need a more powerful antenna b/c the 45db one I got from the Wal-Marts ain't cutting it. What model did you hook your buddy up with? I'm gonna need the full juice.

I'm out in Dallas/Paulding County (SW of Marietta).

You are not much farther away than he is.

Try the Channel Master 4228. It has been towards the top of UHF antenna's since the whole HDTV thing came about.

You are going to freak out when you watch Sunday Night Football (WXIA). Remeber Monday Night is on ESPN. Which you won't get until you upgrade DirecTV.

tbl
9/22/2006, 06:40 PM
Dadgum... I was hoping an indoor antenna would cut it. How much are these bad boys? Any idea of a store to find them in? I'd rather not go mail order on something like this. Thanks again for the help!

85Sooner
9/22/2006, 07:40 PM
Dadgum... I was hoping an indoor antenna would cut it. How much are these bad boys? Any idea of a store to find them in? I'd rather not go mail order on something like this. Thanks again for the help!

Go to wineguard antennas and find a local dealer. they are generally the best and are not too expensive. the guys there should know about the area and will be able to help out. OK

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 07:47 PM

Dow Electronics here in Atlanta sell them for around $54.00. This antenna will work in your attic but you will have to test to find out for sure. Several people have them in there attic. It just depends on the situation.

As far as 85's idea for wineguard, thats not a bad idea either. They have stolen the designs for most of the UHF popular designs. You can probably find a similar 8bay bowtie from them as well. Most people find their products cheap but hey this is UHF and you can use a coat hanger for some of those frequencies.