PDA

View Full Version : Should OU Play @ Washington in '08?

Octavian
9/19/2006, 03:00 PM
In light of recent events, should we go back out West and play the Huskies in Seattle in 2008?

Jackal
9/19/2006, 03:06 PM
Jesus Christ, how many posts do you have to make before you can vote in polls and make threads.........kinda p1ssin me off.

Anyhow, we should break the contract with Washington and cite improper practices by their conference.

King Crimson
9/19/2006, 03:08 PM
i say we play em. unless proven malfeasance by the officials and pac 10 comes to light. but, i don't think it's anything sinister just incompetance and maybe some pac 10 guys getting a little overwhelmed by the idea of beating big bad Oklahoma in pac 10 country. and calling what they wanted to see and not what happened. with additional bungling along the techno-visual chain of command and some pretty weak back-paddling.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 03:09 PM
Jesus Christ, how many posts do you have to make before you can vote in polls and make threads.........kinda ****in me off.

Anyhow, we should break the contract with Washington and cite improper practices by their conference.
It's a noob rule. You have little complain about with a single digit post count. This cuts down on noobs showing up and starting threads without participating in ones that are identical. Unfortunately, we still have plenty of old members that ignore the search feature.

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 03:10 PM
YES. Because we are OU and we are not afraid of anybody, anywhere, anytime!
We just need to take the advice of all the pundits and make sure we are ahead by 6 touchdowns with 2 minutes to go so even the refs can't botch it up.

C&CDean
9/19/2006, 03:11 PM
Jesus Christ, how many posts do you have to make before you can vote in polls and make threads.........kinda p1ssin me off.

If you keep using the Lord's name in vain, you ain't ever gonna get to vote or start a thread.

mightysooner
9/19/2006, 03:11 PM
No we should not.

C&CDean
9/19/2006, 03:12 PM
Oh, and hell yes we play them up there! We're not cowards. We're not quitters. We're not whiney wuss boys. Well at least some of us ain't.

OUstud
9/19/2006, 03:16 PM
Plus, in 2 years, unless they declare no contest or something else memorable, this won't really be on our minds. Sure, someone might bring it up on the board, but it probably won't be a huge issue like it is here in 2006.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 03:17 PM
I voted maybe, so I'm only half a wuss boy. I wouldn't mind going to Seattle for a game FWIW.

SoonerDood
9/19/2006, 03:33 PM
not Hell No, but **** No.

Dio
9/19/2006, 03:38 PM
The game's already scheduled- we need to go whip their asses.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 03:49 PM
I wonder how many duck fans would make the trip just to root against us in that one...

Octavian
9/19/2006, 03:51 PM
Plus, in 2 years, unless they declare no contest or something else memorable, this won't really be on our minds.

I dunno....we Sooners have pretty good memories...

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7489/ksym5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 03:59 PM
Yes. We signed a contract and we should honor it.

SanMarcosCASooner
9/19/2006, 04:01 PM
Still in shock. Couldn't think of anything else to do but create a website to remember it by...

Snrfn4ever08
9/19/2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, we should play up there no matter what to honor our contract, but we should raise a stink about the PAC-10 refs only rule. If we threaten to pull out of the contract for that reason even though we have no real intentions of pulling out, we may just be able to change their minds a little bit.

flopshotjoe99
9/19/2006, 04:07 PM
ya, we should play em.

SleestakSooner
9/19/2006, 04:12 PM
Yes let's fulfil our contract obligations, not create any new ones until changes are made, possibly have independant rewiew booth officials or something to that extent of changes to the refereeing.

We should go up there to Seattle and spank them so hard no crooked official on earth could screw us out of the win! As a matter of fact we should play that way every game from here on out!

Snrfn4ever08
9/19/2006, 04:13 PM
Yes let's fulfil our contract obligations, not create any new ones until changes are made, possibly have independant rewiew booth officials or something to that extent of changes to the refereeing.

We should go up there to Seattle and spank them so hard no crooked official on earth could screw us out of the win! As a matter of fact we should play that way every game from here on out!
Can you say 12-1(13-0)? And by that I mean for the rest of eternity. That would show them:D

tulsaOUfan
9/19/2006, 04:13 PM
All contracts have an out, if you're willing to pay whatever price there is.

And I don't see anything wrong with requesting nuetral officials

daMentor
9/19/2006, 04:24 PM
Yes.. I think we should play them. Furthermore, we should declare all out war on any Pac-10 team we play. We should stomp their dicks in the dirt everytime we play ANY Pac-10 team. We should run up the score as high as possible going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter even if we're up by half a hundred.

jwlynn64
9/19/2006, 04:45 PM
Yes.. I think we should play them. Furthermore, we should declare all out war on any Pac-10 team we play. We should stomp their dicks in the dirt everytime we play ANY Pac-10 team. We should run up the score as high as possible going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter even if we're up by half a hundred.

What the **** did the collective football teams of the Pac-10 do to us? :confused: I don't have a problem running up the score on Oregon since they benefitted but the other schools do not deserve a beat down. (Except USC of course, they have their own rules. ;) )

I thought that Washington was a class act when they were here so why should we try and run it up on them? Let's remember who we are. We're not some classless *** clowns like most of the Whorn fans. :texan:

Were Oklahoma. We don't have to resort to that type of behavior to get respect for the program.

Jackal
9/19/2006, 05:03 PM
If you keep using the Lord's name in vain, you ain't ever gonna get to vote or start a thread.

Wow Dean, you are gonna neg rep when I didn't violate a rule?

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

Saying jesus christ is a violation of your personal views, you shouldn't bring it to a forum even if you are a admin.

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 05:05 PM
Question: Did we have Big 12 officials for the game in Norman? If so, I think that we ought to honor this game, but not schedule any more road games to Pac 10 stadiums unless they change their rule, and prove that their replay system isn't incompetent.

wishbonesooner
9/19/2006, 05:36 PM
"If you keep using the Lord's name in vain, you ain't ever gonna get to vote or start a thread"
Thank You David, that language isn't necessary or appreciated.
And yes, we honor our contract, and kick butt.

RacerX
9/19/2006, 06:25 PM
They played here with Big 12 refs and got screwed on a call.

OU should play at UW with PAC 10 refs.

OU should make sure all future home and home arrangements with any conference uses the traditional refs of the visiting team clause.

olevetonahill
9/19/2006, 06:59 PM
yes

hurricane'bone
9/19/2006, 07:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2594808

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma would consider canceling its game at Washington in 2008 if the Pacific 10 Conference doesn't change its rule requiring league officials to be used at its home stadiums, Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday.

The Sooners lost 34-33 at Oregon on Saturday, and Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen has since said that two incorrect calls by the league's officials on Oregon's behalf changed the outcome of the game.

On Monday, Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter to Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg asking him to pursue having the Pac-10 remove its officiating policy.

"I think there's no question that [athletic director] Joe Castiglione and I and President Boren, if that rule is not changed that we may reconsider that game, and I think it's justified. We'll look into that."

Oklahoma defeated Washington 37-20 on Sept. 9 in the first game of the home-and-home series.

The Sooners also played a home-and-home series against UCLA of the Pac-10 in 2003 and 2005. The game at Oregon concluded a series that began in Norman in 2004.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

WA. Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:26 PM
Play em

AlbqSooner
9/19/2006, 08:04 PM
YES. Because we are OU and we are not afraid of anybody, anywhere, anytime!
We just need to take the advice of all the pundits and make sure we are ahead by 6 touchdowns with 2 minutes to go so even the refs can't botch it up.
A good idea, except then we would be accused of running up the score.

We should hold the Pac-10 feet to the fire in changing their rule regarding only Pac 10 officials for non-conference games. In the end, if they do so, we get what we want. If they refuse to do so, we still get what we want. We simply say, OK. We will honor the contract, but don't look to see us playing any Pac 10 teams at their house in the future. Then, we pile on as many points as possible and tell Washington we hated to do it but your conference was just too obstinate to allow us any choice.

Snrfn4ever08
9/19/2006, 08:08 PM
A good idea, except then we would be accused of running up the score.
Ah, who cares about that. We get accused of that anyway. Even when we're running our scout team with plays out of a middle school playbook and still somehow managing to score. :D

Ash
9/19/2006, 08:34 PM
Hell yes we play them.

I ain't skeered.

A buddy at work, though, brought up the fact that if the ref's don't matter why does the PAC-10 insist on keeping it in-house? Do they need the extra hours?

Just sayin'.

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2006, 08:58 PM
Where's the "Frozen Sooner already has tickets and is going to be mighty ****ed off if OU doesn't show" option?

I mean, it can be a yes or no, but it should be an option.

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2006, 08:59 PM
Wow Dean, you are gonna neg rep when I didn't violate a rule?

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

Saying jesus christ is a violation of your personal views, you shouldn't bring it to a forum even if you are a admin.

By definition, it's vulgar.

Not that I care, but it is vulgarity.

KaiserSooner
9/19/2006, 10:34 PM
Well, the whole thing ****es me off. But I definitely want to see an OU game in Seattle. Assuming it happens, I'm going to do all I can to make sure I'm there in '08.

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2006, 11:15 PM
Dude, if you're there, you're SO going to my tailgate.

One of Dad's friends happens to be paraplegic-and he designed all the handicapped seating at Husky Stadium.

Which means that not only does he get VIP parking, he gets VIP handicapped parking.

The tailgates are right by the stadium and run right out of his van. Tailgating with smoked salmon, chili, and microbrews sounds weird at first, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

TrophyCollector
9/19/2006, 11:31 PM
We should go up there and lose the game because we have our players spending 60 minutes doing nothing but "accidently" running into refs at full speed.

sanantoniosooner
9/19/2006, 11:34 PM
We should go up there and lose the game because we have our players spending 60 minutes doing nothing but "accidently" running into refs at full speed.
bleh.......you'll have to do better if you want to get called up to the South Oval.

KaiserSooner
9/20/2006, 08:56 AM
Dude, if you're there, you're SO going to my tailgate.

One of Dad's friends happens to be paraplegic-and he designed all the handicapped seating at Husky Stadium.

Which means that not only does he get VIP parking, he gets VIP handicapped parking.

The tailgates are right by the stadium and run right out of his van. Tailgating with smoked salmon, chili, and microbrews sounds weird at first, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, I'm there.

Jeez, it's only 9 am in September 2006, and my mouth is already watering for smoked salmon.

:D

yermom
9/20/2006, 09:45 AM
**** 'em

let's go play in the SEC somewhere

i'll be there irregardless...

Nate Johnson
9/20/2006, 10:06 AM
I think we should play them in 08. We should insist (rightfully so) that another conference's crew officiate. The home ref rule is wack and in light of recent events should be repealed.

SteelClip49
9/20/2006, 10:20 AM
Speaking of playing out of conference teams, I could have sworn OU was set to play LSU in 2006, 2007 and Clemson in 2007, 2008. A year or so ago this was posted on the future schedules link on soonerstats.com. I wonder if the Less Smiles hiring at Corndog State worried ole Leslie and backed LSU out. I mean why would LSU back out? They did win the title over us in 2003.

We should play Washington regardless of what dissatisfaction there is with the Pacific 10 officiating. Seattle is a nice city and pleasant weather all year round. Hell, I would like to go up there and visit the Don James trophy room and look at their crystal ball.

From now on in ooc games, the officiating crew should be one not affiliated with the 2 teams playing each other. I just hope the SEC refs never do an OU game.

UofO Duck
9/20/2006, 11:10 AM
Okay, folks...once and for all, let's shut down this diatribe about how Sooners got robbed, okay? I'm only gonna comment on this once:

Yeah, sure the officiating crew screwed up a couple of times. Hey, every game has at least one or two really questionable calls that may or may not have affected the outcome. It happens. It is what it is. Well, the officiating crew has been suspended, as expected. Besides, when your defense allows 14 points in 26 seconds, and then, fail to get a field goal attempt off, do you really feel the replay official is the one you should direct your ire toward? Not a nock on you guys. Just some observations.

Now,

GET BACK IN THERE AND KICK THE FUSKIES IN THE ARSE!!!

UofO Duck
9/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Okay, folks...once and for all, let's shut down this diatribe about how Sooners got robbed, okay? I'm only gonna comment on this once:

Yeah, sure the officiating crew screwed up a couple of times. Hey, every game has at least one or two really questionable calls that may or may not have affected the outcome. It happens. It is what it is. Well, the officiating crew has been suspended, as expected. Besides, when your defense allows 14 points in 26 seconds, and then, fail to get a field goal attempt off, do you really feel the replay official is the one you should direct your ire toward? Not a nock on you guys. Just some observations. Your team played their hearts out, which is what I went to the game to see. A lot of teams visiting Autzen forget to even get off the bus.

Now,

GET BACK IN THERE AND KICK THE FUSKIES IN THE ARSE!!!

"Better Big Red Than Irish Dead"

Sincerely,

Duck Fans for a Huskies-Free Northwest

GrapevineSooner
9/20/2006, 11:26 AM
For the 1,423,522nd time...

It's not so much the fact that a controversial call gave Oregon the ball. And that if the right call had been made, OU would have won.

Nor am I seeking to have the results of the game altered in anyway.

It's that replay was instituted to prevent these kinds of mistakes from being made by the crew on the field.

And in 10 months, it's failed the Sooners miserably twice.

This could have happened to any team. The fact it happened to OU twice, I believe, is purely coincidental.

Unless changes are made to ensure it's integrity, replay's going to screw some other team down the line with similar ramifications.

And when that happens, I don't want the 'oh get over crowd' that's displaying it's self-righteousness towards OU fans to cry to us when their team gets the shaft.

soonerhubs
9/20/2006, 11:35 AM
I say we play Washington in 08 for sure. I highly doubt the PAC-10 would cause any problems for us regarding officiating for a long long time.

David Earl
9/20/2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry dude, but trolls are going down until this situation dies back down a little.

yermom
9/20/2006, 11:46 AM
haha, thanks DE

RacerX
9/20/2006, 01:02 PM
http://static.flickr.com/1/1018484_f59f294d3d_m.jpg

PenFLSooner
9/20/2006, 01:08 PM
Let's drop them and play Alabama again. That was a great home and home!

GrapevineSooner
9/20/2006, 01:32 PM
I think we should just pull 7 guys randomly off the street and then hand them an official's shirt.

SoonerJason
9/20/2006, 02:36 PM
Forget Washington..

Come down here to AZ and play the Sun Devils.

There are Sooner fans here, I promise.

OklahomaRed
9/20/2006, 03:24 PM
I say we do the brother versus brother thing and go play Arizona in Tuscon. Would be a decent trip, plus you could help out a former Sooner. :D

yermom
9/20/2006, 03:25 PM
but those are PAC 10 teams :P

rhombic21
9/20/2006, 08:31 PM
Regardless of whether or not we play the game, it was a mistake to make it public that we were considering not playing right now. We should have waited until after the season to announce it. Announcing it now only makes us look like crybabies and sore losers, and damages our public image.

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 10:29 PM
Regardless of whether or not we play the game, it was a mistake to make it public that we were considering not playing right now. We should have waited until after the season to announce it. Announcing it now only makes us look like crybabies and sore losers, and damages our public image.

No, stating it now while the story is in the news may actually put some pressure on the PAC 10 to change their stupid rule. Waiting until after the season when this story is old news means it gets put on the back page and nobody pays any attention to it and they carry on with their "our officials are the best in the world" policy.

rhombic21
9/20/2006, 10:39 PM
And if they do so, we cancel the game without fanfare. Threatening to cancel the game, after the apology and suspension of the officials, makes us look petty and childish.

MichelleDawn
9/20/2006, 11:04 PM
Until The Pac Ten changes it's rules, we shouldn't play any Pac Ten team. This isn't the first game they 'homered", several Mountain West teams are very familiar with their bad home calls.

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 11:07 PM
I'd be happy to play Washington if they'd move to a conference that didn't demand its' own inept and cheating officials. Like the MEAC, CUSA, Ivy League, Moutain West, NAIA, Div II / III, Big 10, SEC, Big 12, etc.

jwlynn64
9/21/2006, 08:13 AM
No, stating it now while the story is in the news may actually put some pressure on the PAC 10 to change their stupid rule. Waiting until after the season when this story is old news means it gets put on the back page and nobody pays any attention to it and they carry on with their "our officials are the best in the world" policy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TrophyCollector again.

Washington didn't have anything to do with this issue. We should have handled this in the off season. I'm sure that given the circumstances, they would have been more than willing to work with us.

Okie23
9/21/2006, 09:44 PM
I'm looking forward to this game more than any other. I've been waiting for Oklahoma to come up here for years (even though I'm only 23). I was born in Oklahoma and raised in Seattle. My heart is still in Oklahoma. A lot of my family still live back there... and I go back to Norman/Noble every year. All my Husky friends up here give me crap all the time because I always have some sort of OU clothing on... hat, shirt, sweatshirt, socks, you name it. I even have a big OU sticker in my back window of my car. That reminds me, I ran into my first Longhorn fan up here the other day. He saw my sticker and gave me the hook'em sign. I politely gave him the middle finger and the /w\. Like I said, I'm looking forward to this game more than any other. This will be a great moment in my life... and I'm looking forward to meeting all the OU fans that come up this way.

Soonerdaddy
9/21/2006, 09:47 PM
Yes, but it should be the last in the Pac 10 until the policies change.