PDA

View Full Version : AND FINALLY, an elementary lesson in CAUSATION, for the stubborn and logic-impaired

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 01:27 PM
I really am over it. Honest. By now, everybody with a brain knows we got jobbed; and we are now ready to move on to Middle Eastern Tennessee A&M State Tech.
HOWEVER,
There remains one crucial point that seems to have escaped many folks who still insist that the Call was not why OU “lost” the game.
THEREFORE,
In the interest of Sweet Reason, and for no other reason (because I’m over it, honest), I offer this elementary lesson in the principle of causation:

Okla-homey decides to drive his “Auburn Dad” bumper-stickered pick-up truck from Tulseytown to Okie City. Instead of taking the direct route down I-44, he decides, for reasons known only to his Creator, to pass through Henryetta. Somewhere on southbound Hwy 75, around Okmulgee, Okla-homey stops for a very large glass of sweet tea. As Okla-homey pulls out onto the roadway, TUSooner, roaring drunk and driving a stolen 18-wheeler that he is neither licensed nor qualified to drive, plows into Okla-homey’s “Auburn Dad” bumper-stickered truck, totalling the truck and scaring Okla-homey so much that Okla-homey wets his brand new pre-shrunk button-fly Levis.

Most folks would say TUSooner was “the cause” of the blue jean soilage. (Ace law student Okla-homey would say TUSooner was the “legal” or “proximate” cause of the dampened denim.)

However, some folks (like, say, maybe somebody from Oregon or MSNBC?) would say it was Okla-homey’s OWN FAULT because he didn’t take the most direct route to Okieville, or because he stopped to drink that big ol’ glass of sweet tea, or because he didn’t go to the toilet more frequently, or because he should have left earlier, or later, or driven faster, or slower, or maybe even because he went to Okietown in the first place, instead of staying home studying or spending quality time with Mrs. Homey.

Now somebody ought to read this story and figure out that: Okla-homey is OU; the road trip was the game; the crash was the final score; and TUSooner was the replay guy... WHO “CAUSED” THE CRASH.

Any questions?

OUDoc
9/19/2006, 01:31 PM
What was that middle thing again?

;)

ADs_Agent
9/19/2006, 01:32 PM
okay....................

Blues1
9/19/2006, 01:34 PM
WHO “CAUSED” THE CRASH.

Whoever lied the most---Lets ask Gordon... :eek:

ousoonerfan
9/19/2006, 01:34 PM
What was that middle thing again?

;)

Don't call me stupid! :D

Tear Down This Wall
9/19/2006, 01:37 PM
Rule 403. Exclusion of Relevant Evidence on Grounds of Prejudice, Confusion, or Waste of Time

Although relevant, evidence may be excluded if its probative value is substantially outweighed by the danger of unfair prejudice, confusion of the issues, or misleading the jury, or by considerations of undue delay, waste of time, or needless presentation of cumulative evidence.

Jewstin
9/19/2006, 01:38 PM
Me likey! Excellent stuff.

Now, go tell that to Pat Forde, who just hammered us because we should've been up by more, or we should've done more to win the game, 'cause that's what CHAMPIONS do, EYE OF THE TIGER, HEART, ETC.. :rolleyes:

Fugue
9/19/2006, 01:39 PM
Rule 403. Exclusion of Relevant Evidence on Grounds of Prejudice, Confusion, or Waste of Time

Although relevant, evidence may be excluded if its probative value is substantially outweighed by the danger of unfair prejudice, confusion of the issues, or misleading the jury, or by considerations of undue delay, waste of time, or needless presentation of cumulative evidence.

exactly, all of the things you have been saying.

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 01:39 PM
Hmmmmmm....This is not going as well as I expected.

TopDawg
9/19/2006, 01:47 PM

Welcome to the world of message boards.

Tear Down This Wall
9/19/2006, 01:51 PM

You look at all the hair-splitting on the Oregon game, and then bring the law, the ultimate hair-splitting tool, into it? Grasshopper... :rolleyes: :D

GrapevineSooner
9/19/2006, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the world of message boards.

Chock full of people with closed minds.

Howzit
9/19/2006, 01:53 PM
Mmmm...sweet tea.

I bet he had a slice o' pie, too.

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 01:58 PM
I HATE story problems. What time did Homey leave? And how fast was TU going? I'll never figure this out. :mad:

toast
9/19/2006, 02:04 PM
TU was under pressure to get somewhere quicker, only one of the truck's headlights was working, and he had a gut feeling he had made a mistake when he hit Homey.

sooner518
9/19/2006, 02:11 PM
Im going to need a picture of Okla-homie's wet pants before I can make a conclusive statement as to whether or not the pants are really wet.

ADs_Agent
9/19/2006, 02:33 PM
what brand was the sweet tea?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/19/2006, 02:33 PM
I really am over it. Honest. By now, everybody with a brain knows we got jobbed; and we are now ready to move on to Middle Eastern Tennessee A&M State Tech.
HOWEVER,
There remains one crucial point that seems to have escaped many folks who still insist that the Call was not why OU “lost” the game.
THEREFORE,
In the interest of Sweet Reason, and for no other reason (because I’m over it, honest), I offer this elementary lesson in the principle of causation:

Might as well forget it. You're talking to one of these. (http://www.math.toronto.edu/~drorbn/Gallery/Symmetry/Tilings/2S22/BrickWall.jpg)

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 02:55 PM
Might as well forget it. You're talking to

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7962/brickwallli2.jpg

yep. :)

TopDawg
9/19/2006, 03:01 PM
Did anybody catch the accident on video? That should clear all of this up.

Blues1
9/19/2006, 03:25 PM
yep. :)
I'm the 3rd brick on the right 8 rows up.....looks kinda Red,,,,,,,:)

OUinFLA
9/19/2006, 04:14 PM
What's on the other side of that brick wall?
Homey?

caphorns
9/19/2006, 04:30 PM
The problem is that there was intervening stuff that happened. There's a principal in law known as mitigation (requiring you to mitigate your damages after a tort has occurred). So, in your example, lets say that Okla-homey somehow could have unbottoned his fly immediately after the accident and let out the beast in time so as to keep his jeans unsoilt. He would have then mitigated his damages. In this case, the zipper fly is the OU secondary.

daMentor
9/19/2006, 05:20 PM
Yes. In fact, there were several camera angles to choose from. Unfortunately, the videos did not make it to the courthouse in time, and TUSooner was expunged of all charges due to a lack of sufficient video evidence. :pop:

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 05:22 PM
The problem is that there was intervening stuff that happened. There's a principal in law known as mitigation (requiring you to mitigate your damages after a tort has occurred). So, in your example, lets say that Okla-homey somehow could have unbottoned his fly immediately after the accident and let out the beast in time so as to keep his jeans unsoilt. He would have then mitigated his damages. In this case, the zipper fly is the OU secondary.
Hey, this is MY analogy, bugger off !!!
:P

Besides, "let's say... somehow...coulda" = lame

cvsooner
9/19/2006, 11:44 PM
A better example might be that you're sober, driving the speed limit, and going through a green light, when some drunken fool runs the red light and plows into your car, causing major and severe damage to the car and to you personally.

Then the police officer gives you a ticket and arrests youfor drunken driving, and the other guy is allowed to drive off.

And then you find out the other driver has no insurance either.

OUinFLA
9/20/2006, 06:41 AM
Why would TUSooner be sober?

Okla-homey
9/20/2006, 06:50 AM
All I wanna know is this...and I do not have sufficient the tweaked BCS inner-workings knowlege to figger it out. IF OSU, uSucc and Auburn all go undefeated...who get's left out of the big MNC party this year?

afs
9/20/2006, 07:15 AM
Okla-homey - because he failed to properly yield to oncoming traffic. therefore, OU should have bagan kneeling on the ball around the 4:00 minute mark

Jason White's Third Knee
9/20/2006, 07:54 AM

Dude, you are making me start to hate Ronald Reagan.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/20/2006, 10:43 AM
The problem is that there was intervening stuff that happened. There's a principal in law known as mitigation (requiring you to mitigate your damages after a tort has occurred). So, in your example, lets say that Okla-homey somehow could have unbottoned his fly immediately after the accident and let out the beast in time so as to keep his jeans unsoilt. He would have then mitigated his damages. In this case, the zipper fly is the OU secondary.Look, it's Caphorns, finally weighing in after his Mack-lead whorns were manhandled by the tOSU herd. Where were ya when the whorn faithful were being counted?

Nate Johnson
9/20/2006, 10:50 AM

Careful, sir, or you will receive a penalty for misuse of the Federal Rules of Evidence.

caphorns
9/20/2006, 10:56 AM
Look, it's Caphorns, finally weighing in after his Mack-lead whorns were manhandled by the tOSU herd. Where were ya when the whorn faithful were being counted?

I have a note from my mommy somewhere.

Actually, I've been working with Texas Equisearch for the past two weeks in search of tOSU #11. Apparently, nobody in the State of Texas can locate him.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:58 AM
What's on the other side of that brick wall?
Homey?
Brat's Bush!!:P

Mile High Sooner
9/20/2006, 11:06 AM
Or DNA evidence... that always works on TV...is CSI Okmulgee on this??:pop:

stoopified
9/20/2006, 11:09 AM
HOWEVER,
THEREFORE,

Okla-homey decides to drive his “Auburn Dad” bumper-stickered pick-up truck from Tulseytown to Okie City. Instead of taking the direct route down I-44, he decides, for reasons known only to his Creator, to pass through Henryetta. Somewhere on southbound Hwy 75, around Okmulgee, Okla-homey stops for a very large glass of sweet tea. As Okla-homey pulls out onto the roadway, TUSooner, roaring drunk and driving a stolen 18-wheeler that he is neither licensed nor qualified to drive, plows into Okla-homey’s “Auburn Dad” bumper-stickered truck, totalling the truck and scaring Okla-homey so much that Okla-homey wets his brand new pre-shrunk button-fly Levis.

Most folks would say TUSooner was “the cause” of the blue jean soilage. (Ace law student Okla-homey would say TUSooner was the “legal” or “proximate” cause of the dampened denim.)

However, some folks (like, say, maybe somebody from Oregon or MSNBC?) would say it was Okla-homey’s OWN FAULT because he didn’t take the most direct route to Okieville, or because he stopped to drink that big ol’ glass of sweet tea, or because he didn’t go to the toilet more frequently, or because he should have left earlier, or later, or driven faster, or slower, or maybe even because he went to Okietown in the first place, instead of staying home studying or spending quality time with Mrs. Homey.

Now somebody ought to read this story and figure out that: Okla-homey is OU; the road trip was the game; the crash was the final score; and TUSooner was the replay guy... WHO “CAUSED” THE CRASH.

Any questions? excellent example ofparallel thinking in regards to problem solving resulting in simple analogy that intelligent people can follow.NOTE TO AGGYS Don't try this at home.

soonerhubs
9/20/2006, 11:15 AM
I dated a girl in Okmulgee and a couple others in Henryetta, does this help? :D

TexasLidig8r
9/20/2006, 11:21 AM

Mr. TDTW.. that is a lucid, well thought out, reasoned objection. Overruled!

TDTW, you have been the voice of reason on here.... Were I to be a troll of anyone on here....

(Paging GDC.. Paging GDC).... :D

Jewstin
9/20/2006, 01:22 PM
A better example might be that you're sober, driving the speed limit, and going through a green light, when some drunken fool runs the red light and plows into your car, causing major and severe damage to the car and to you personally.

Then the police officer gives you a ticket and arrests youfor drunken driving, and the other guy is allowed to drive off.

And then you find out the other driver has no insurance either.

I think an even better analogy is this:

You're walking along, enjoying the scenery of Bricktown, when all of a sudden an anvil gets dropped on your head. And then a mack truck runs into you ... a mack truck hauling gasoline. And then two buses, one full of midgets, the other full of nuns, crash into you. At this point, things don't seem like they can get much worse, when suddenly a dog urinates on your smoldering corpse.

But wait ... there's more -- an OKC Redhawk's player hits a homerun that goes flying into your eye socket, as a gang of hoodlums approach and vandalize your charred remains. Then, for some reason, a garbage truck dumps it's entire morning load onto you.

Then an officer walks by and writes you a ticket for the damage you've done to the area and you get hauled into court.

That's pretty much what this situation feels like. Plus a couple of piles of vomit, or something.

footballfanatic
9/20/2006, 01:58 PM
Ummm, can we go over this again? What the gross weight of the trailer, and has wind velocity been considered?

caphorns
9/20/2006, 02:21 PM
I think an even better analogy is this:

You're walking along, enjoying the scenery of Bricktown, when all of a sudden an anvil gets dropped on your head. And then a mack truck runs into you ... a mack truck hauling gasoline. And then two buses, one full of midgets, the other full of nuns, crash into you. At this point, things don't seem like they can get much worse, when suddenly a dog urinates on your smoldering corpse.

But wait ... there's more -- an OKC Redhawk's player hits a homerun that goes flying into your eye socket, as a gang of hoodlums approach and vandalize your charred remains. Then, for some reason, a garbage truck dumps it's entire morning load onto you.

Then an officer walks by and writes you a ticket for the damage you've done to the area and you get hauled into court.

That's pretty much what this situation feels like. Plus a couple of piles of vomit, or something.

Look at it this way. There's always the People's National Championship. ;)

Stoop Dawg
9/20/2006, 02:59 PM
TDTW, you have been the voice of reason on here....

Voice of reason? While it is abundantly clear that OU could have won the game in spite of the blown call by capitalizing on other opportunities, it is equally clear that OU did, in fact, play well enough to win the game had the rules of the game been followed. To argue otherwise is the exact opposite of "reason".