PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jack Wright

southern sooner
9/19/2006, 01:25 PM
Would like to get some thoughts here from some of you guys. Do you think our problem at CB (outside of Reggie), is a problem with talent, or coaching? I believe Bobby Jack Wright may not be the secondary coach we need. A lot of times when I see our guys get burned it sure looks like we are not in position and stuff looks mixed up....

Thought?

If coaching is it Venables or Wright?

Tear Down This Wall
9/19/2006, 01:29 PM
The secondary coach we need is currently wasting time in Tuscon, Arizona. Give Lute Olson University another season or two with him and then he'll be free to rejoin us.

CtheB
9/19/2006, 01:40 PM
Would like to get some thoughts here from some of you guys. Do you think our problem at CB (outside of Reggie), is a problem with talent, or coaching? I believe Bobby Jack Wright may not be the secondary coach we need. A lot of times when I see our guys get burned it sure looks like we are not in position and stuff looks mixed up....

Thought?

Well, considering that it took 5 minutes to figure out who's fault it was on Oregon's second touchdown, I'd have to say it's a combination of things. That being said, I am beginning to hear that our defensive schemes are too complicated, and that is what is leading to the apparent confusion on the field. If it takes 5 minutes to figure responsibility, the scheme is too complicated.

Just what I have heard.

JohnnyMack
9/19/2006, 02:05 PM
......isn't all he was cracked up to be?

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 02:09 PM
This thread has nothing about bad officiating in it. Therefore I will be boycotting it and writing many strongly worded letters to the powers-that-be.

mightysooner
9/19/2006, 02:13 PM
Not sure how the decision to move Bobby Jack Wright to secondary coach was made to begin with. What did he know about coaching secondaries before moving to that position? I'm not sold on him OR Venables......

sooner969
9/19/2006, 02:22 PM
Well, considering that it took 5 minutes to figure out who's fault it was on Oregon's second touchdown, I'd have to say it's a combination of things. That being said, I am beginning to hear that our defensive schemes are too complicated, and that is what is leading to the apparent confusion on the field. If it takes 5 minutes to figure responsibility, the scheme is too complicated.

Just what I have heard.

The schemes aren't too complicated and Harris decided to be sloppy on the scoring play. He tried to jam his guy, lunged at him, a no-no, whiffed, then was out of the play for the guy to score. The paper quoted him as saying he didn't think his guy was gonna get the pass. Maybe that's why he took the play off, or it could just be the coaches are sloppy and easily satisfied.

sooner969
9/19/2006, 02:25 PM
Not sure how the decision to move Bobby Jack Wright to secondary coach was made to begin with. What did he know about coaching secondaries before moving to that position? I'm not sold on him OR Venables......

UT Defensive Backs Coach 1991: Number one pass defense in the country

Where that BJW has gone is anyones guess.

MamaMia
9/19/2006, 02:42 PM

Thought?

We have a secondary? :confused:

I thought we did away with that type of scheme and was trying something new since we don't have anyone close to their receivers all that much.

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 02:42 PM
Guys, let's try and remember something.

He's got a VERY inexperience secondary right now. The only two guys with real experience are Darrien Williams and Jason Carter, and neither of those guys are Oklahoma caliber talents. You can't blame BJW for the lack of safety talent. Nic Harris and Keenan Clayton are probably the future at the safety positions, but those guys are both in only their second year in the program (Harris is a true soph and Clayton is a RS Fresh). And Harris has played very well at times, he's just not a complete player yet in his technique or his understanding of the defense.

Look at who he has at cornerback for a second. Lendy Holmes was a receiver this time a year ago. DJ Wolfe is a converted runningback who is only in his second year OF HIS ENTIRE LIFE at CB. Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker are really the only "true corners" that we have right now, and both of those guys have played very well.

I really don't think that it's fair to criticize BJW right now. If the secondary doesn't improve over the course of the season, and become dominant next year, then you might have a case. But right now he's got 2 corners that know how to play the position (one of whom is extremely injury prone), and no safeties that are athletic enough to execute the scheme like he wants without busting coverages due to a lack of experience.

TXBOOMER
9/19/2006, 02:45 PM
Agree with S969. Nic let his man get behind him after getting out of position on a line jam. Inexperience. As these guys get experience they will improve. I think Nic showed a lot of potential in that game.

IronSooner
9/19/2006, 03:17 PM
Two problems:
1. Stop rotating corners. Marcus Walker is the best we have opposite Reggie. Leave him in, get him comfortable, give him experience. Stop writing the depth chart in disappearing ink.

2. Our D has no fire, no attitude, and no killer instinct. We've become far too businesslike over the last couple years. I think that's a big indication of what Mike brought that BJW doesn't seem to. That guy was fiery during practice, games, checkers matches, and if you played for him, so were you. We don't intimidate anyone anymore and nobody's afraid of going across the middle on us. I miss having the type of defense that was written of as "they not only go after you, they go after your credit rating too."

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 03:40 PM
Walker was out of the game last week with cramps, not because the coaches wanted to replace him.

The defense plays with plenty of fire and effort. They just don't play with a whole lot of intelligence or fundamentals.

snp
9/19/2006, 03:58 PM
He's trying to make corners out of a converted safety, converted WR, converted RB, and a guy who has been injured a lot over his career.

MissouriSooner
9/19/2006, 04:10 PM
Excuse me, but I fail to see why D-backs, even those played some other position in high school, can't do one simple thing: In the late stages of a game where the worst possible thing that can happen is for a WR to run past you for a TD, keep your man in front of you. OU's D-backs have plenty of talent to do that, so why are they not doing it? Coaching would be my guess. Who's their coach? BJW. Stoops and/or Venables needs to light a fire under his butt and tell him to have the secondary play harder and smarter, or somebody else will be given a try at doing to.

sooner969
9/19/2006, 05:12 PM
Guys, let's try and remember something.

He's got a VERY inexperience secondary right now. The only two guys with real experience are Darrien Williams and Jason Carter, and neither of those guys are Oklahoma caliber talents. You can't blame BJW for the lack of safety talent. Nic Harris and Keenan Clayton are probably the future at the safety positions, but those guys are both in only their second year in the program (Harris is a true soph and Clayton is a RS Fresh). And Harris has played very well at times, he's just not a complete player yet in his technique or his understanding of the defense.

Look at who he has at cornerback for a second. Lendy Holmes was a receiver this time a year ago. DJ Wolfe is a converted runningback who is only in his second year OF HIS ENTIRE LIFE at CB. Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker are really the only "true corners" that we have right now, and both of those guys have played very well.

I really don't think that it's fair to criticize BJW right now. If the secondary doesn't improve over the course of the season, and become dominant next year, then you might have a case. But right now he's got 2 corners that know how to play the position (one of whom is extremely injury prone), and no safeties that are athletic enough to execute the scheme like he wants without busting coverages due to a lack of experience.

Jamming your man before he's able to start his move and rotating your hips to run with a streaking receiver is a fundamental you shuold be learning by at least 8th grade. These guys should be well aware of coverage techniques at the positions they played. These are simple fundamentals that an athlete of their caliber should be able to do with a minimum of practice. They do them, they're simply incomprehensibly sloppy at it. How many years does this guy need to get it right? Do you think Mike would've stood for these kinds of breakdowns as consistently as they happen? True he did have some breakdowns but they were few and far between, not every game. So, in the end it's not about not knowing what to do, it's getting them to do what they know with some sense of pride and enthusiasm.

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 05:15 PM
Harris had a mental breakdown, and thought that he had help over the top when he didn't. He'd also been on the field all game was was probably gassed and emotionally drained.

How well did the DBs play in 1999, when we didn't have Strait and Thompson or Williams or Thatcher in the secondary?

A big part of it is talent. And I remember a ****load of secondary breakdowns in the losses against aTm and Oklahoma State in 2002.

RedstickSooner
9/19/2006, 05:17 PM
Our corners have been getting beaten deep FOREVER. Throughout the Stoops era, this has happened.

Frankly, I've come to conclude it just goes with the territory - or else maybe it goes with some aspect of a pseudo-aggressive defensive philosophy. Because otherwise it'd seem insane -- how difficult can it be to simply stay ten yards behind a guy, then come up to make the tackle once the ball arrives?

The fact that it has happened, and continues to happen, every season, would seem to indicate it's just something which goes with our defense. Which, one would hope, is a defense that can be blamed philosophically on Stoops, even if he isn't managing it on a day-to-day or play-by-play basis.

sooner969
9/19/2006, 05:22 PM
Harris had a mental breakdown, and thought that he had help over the top when he didn't. He'd also been on the field all game was was probably gassed and emotionally drained.

How well did the DBs play in 1999, when we didn't have Strait and Thompson or Williams or Thatcher in the secondary?

A big part of it is talent. And I remember a ****load of secondary breakdowns in the losses against aTm and Oklahoma State in 2002.
He didn't think he had help over the top he just got sloppy and didn't think the pass was coming his way. He missed his jam and didn't give a **** until the ball landed in his mans lap for the win.

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 05:26 PM
Oklahoma puts their corners and safeties on an island A LOT, because we aim to shut down the run and generate pressure on the passer with aggressive blitzing. OU likes to use a lot of 8 man looks, with a safety playing like a linebacker against the run or as a blitzer.

The schemw works well when you get pressure from your LBs and DL on blitzes, and stop the run on early downs, and then have DBs who can make plays in single coverage. If you can get consistent pressure and force long yardage situations, then you can switch over to max cover schemes and confuse the quarterback and force turnovers. The problem comes when you start have problems getting pressure on the passer or stopping the run, which results in fewer long yardage situations, or when you lack the talent on the back end to have guys defend their man 1-1 so that you can release safeties and linebackers to blitz.

cschellman
9/19/2006, 05:30 PM
Venables is a great Linebackers coach and a poor Defensive Coordinator. Bobby Jack Wright is a good DB coach but if the rest of the defense is deficient, it reflects on the defense as a whole. I think our secondary is good with Marcus Walker out on the field. Nic Harris has been hot and cold so far...it would be nice if he could play more consistently.

stoopified
9/19/2006, 05:44 PM
Trust Bob to make the right decisions,that is why he is paid the BIG BUCKS.If any of us knew more about being the head ballcoach than Bob ,one of us WOULD be the coach at OU and Bob would proably be coaching Iowa.

VMG
9/19/2006, 07:15 PM
Folks seem to have forgotten the Mike Stoops secondaries that got torched against OSwho, Texas A&M and others. The current secondary is talented but young -- that means that in spite of all efforts by the coaching staff they bust coverages. The completion against Lendy on the far sideline being but one example...

My biggest concern is the defensive front. They look like they're just running around without a clue. Makes life a lot more difficult for the LBs and the DBs...

sooner969
9/19/2006, 07:28 PM
The pass on Holmes WAS NOT busted coverage. It was **** poor fundamentals. PERIOD. It was Lendy stopping to watch the game for a second.

You sit here and talk about certain games over a long period of time. I'm talking about year after ****ing year of sloppy play since Mike left. There's a big difference no matter how much you wanna protect your boys. Is it going to take another USC *** thumping to show that to you?

ultimatesooner1
9/19/2006, 07:34 PM
all of the position coaches on defense have their work cut out for them right now. We are supposed to have 4 great defensive ends and they are not showing up near enough right now. This D is going to get it all together sometime and when they do

LOOKOUT!!!!!!!

picasso
9/19/2006, 07:38 PM
we've lost our intense mojo since Mike left. I know jkm will bring up oSu '02 or aTm but those were few and far between. it's an every game occurence these days.:(

VMG
9/19/2006, 07:58 PM
The pass on Holmes WAS NOT busted coverage. It was **** poor fundamentals. PERIOD. It was Lendy stopping to watch the game for a second.

You sit here and talk about certain games over a long period of time. I'm talking about year after ****ing year of sloppy play since Mike left. There's a big difference no matter how much you wanna protect your boys. Is it going to take another USC *** thumping to show that to you?

We'll agree to disagree. He bumped the guy as he would playing the short zone, started to roll up, looked back at the QB and then turned and ran...

...it was all over but the crying from there.

westcoast_sooner
9/19/2006, 09:41 PM
Two problems:
1. Stop rotating corners. Marcus Walker is the best we have opposite Reggie. Leave him in, get him comfortable, give him experience. Stop writing the depth chart in disappearing ink.

2. Our D has no fire, no attitude, and no killer instinct. We've become far too businesslike over the last couple years. I think that's a big indication of what Mike brought that BJW doesn't seem to. That guy was fiery during practice, games, checkers matches, and if you played for him, so were you. We don't intimidate anyone anymore and nobody's afraid of going across the middle on us. I miss having the type of defense that was written of as "they not only go after you, they go after your credit rating too."

Amen Brother. Our Defensive front needs to start whipping people, getting off blocks and hitting someone. Before the season, I think many people here expected this to be the strength of the team, and the ones that would keep us in games until the O-Line started coming around, and PT could settle in.

At times our secondary has been horrible, but whether that's BJW's fault or Venables' fault, I don't know. I think with the secondary, it's just youth, and maybe some kids moving to positions that they don't have experience at. And maybe that kind of thing can be attributed to BJW and Venables.

Overall, I don't think it's one thing, I think it's several things. I'd like to see our guys play with reckless abandon out there against MTSU, and then be ready for the RRS two weeks after that.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 09:59 PM
You MUST have a big threat up front for everything else to fall into place. In the past we had an elite or solid DT that could take on two blockers and was worthy of it, that frees up the DEs and LBs more. These guys are getting so blown off the line that they have Olinemen looking for LBs.

It also seems like the LBs are not keeping pressure on backs out of the backfield and TEs.

The play of the DBs has been helter skelter. I think we are on the right path if Marcus can stay healthy. Other than the misfortunate last TD, Nic had a pretty solid game.

rainiersooner
9/20/2006, 12:00 AM

Just what I have heard.

I don't know...I remember hearing that same excuse about Pellini after the orange bowl - that his schemes were too complicated. Well he's doing just fine at LSU and our secondary remains bad if not worse. I have no answer for you...I'm just not sure that a possible answer is the difficulty of our schemes. And also, I don't know about it taking 5 minutes to figure out whose fault the winning touchdown was. It didn't look like Harris missed his assignment. The guy just ran by him.

SoonerGOP
9/20/2006, 12:16 AM
Bobby Jack is there for recruiting. His Texas ties are HUGE.

rainiersooner
9/20/2006, 12:17 AM
You MUST have a big threat up front for everything else to fall into place. In the past we had an elite or solid DT that could take on two blockers and was worthy of it, that frees up the DEs and LBs more. These guys are getting so blown off the line that they have Olinemen looking for LBs.

It also seems like the LBs are not keeping pressure on backs out of the backfield and TEs.

The play of the DBs has been helter skelter. I think we are on the right path if Marcus can stay healthy. Other than the misfortunate last TD, Nic had a pretty solid game.

Last year Dusty regularly got double teamed by o-linemen; that's what freed Ah You, Thibodeaux et al up for their great play. Our tackles have been a serious problem this year and it's effected our ability to get pressure, which has effected our secondary, in my opinion.

rainiersooner
9/20/2006, 12:18 AM
Bobby Jack is there for recruiting. His Texas ties are HUGE.

That's worth something, for sure.

ashley
9/20/2006, 12:20 PM
The problem is many fold. One is that the basic philosophy is to stop the run, thus commiting so many to the run. The front is not very good in case you haven't notices and with extra time it is very hard to cover. Jamming the receivers and playing man under 1/2's is ok but we like to blitz and then there is no help if the receiver gets by the corner witch is easy to do in bump and run and the coverage is man free or man no free then you are in trouble. I have seen this the past few years over and over again. He is a well respected secondary coach that gets after their *** in practice so it is not for lack of coaching hard or motivation. We obviously have many problems on defense and it is not because of coaching. Players have to make plays and and that is not happening in lots of area's. It seems like all of a sudden around here it must be the coaching and not the players, and thats a bunch of bull.

Tear Down This Wall
9/20/2006, 01:25 PM
Ashley's not much on paragraphs, but does makes some good points.

sooner969
9/20/2006, 02:43 PM
We'll agree to disagree. He bumped the guy as he would playing the short zone, started to roll up, looked back at the QB and then turned and ran...

...it was all over but the crying from there.

Haha, roll up??? You think he was rolling up??? He rotated his hips like he was in slow motion and in the process watched the game. He had no intetion of "rolling up", he just executed his fundamentals poorly. Sorry dude, the truth hurts sometimes.

Perhaps you should get a job refing in the Pac-10. I hear they like people that tell them black is white.

VMG
9/20/2006, 07:15 PM
Haha, roll up??? You think he was rolling up??? He rotated his hips like he was in slow motion and in the process watched the game. He had no intetion of "rolling up", he just executed his fundamentals poorly. Sorry dude, the truth hurts sometimes.

Perhaps you should get a job refing in the Pac-10. I hear they like people that tell them black is white.

What's wrong "coach", couldn't make the big time...or are you off your meds? As I said before, we'll have to agree to disagree.