PDA

View Full Version : Solution To Officiating...No Joke

Geekboy
9/19/2006, 12:49 PM
This isn't a 100% cure but it would cut down drastically this current situation that is getting worse every year.

On about Monday or Tuesday after the college games make the conferences have their officials hold a press conference ON CAMERA! Have it live on one of the ESPN channels.

There could be certain rules applied like maybe only four calls reviewed on a monitor and questions ask. I leave that to you experts.

The bottom line why can't they be questioned? Why can't they be held accountable?

Players get asked questions. The officials throw flags and identify the penalized player. Coaches get asked questions. The officials are just as much a part of the game. Why can't they be asked questions? Why are they immune to the spotlight?

A perfect example today would be a press conference with the Pac-10 officials. I can see some calls getting messed up on the field of play by not the playback officials. I'm hearing the review guy (official) is now saying he blew it.

Here's where the press conference comes into play. The perfect question to ask that specific official would be...."How did you blow that call? Everyone else didn't get it wrong. Why are you just NOW, after the game has been decided, agreeing that you got it wrong after you watched it several times in the booth but NOW you are saying you blew it?" I'd love to hear that answer but we won't get an answer because they aren't held accountable.

Whoopie do.......a game suspension. Someone at work told me it wouldn't do any good because they could wind up being just as arrogant as some of these smart *** coaches. I say GOOD! Let them be that way. That way when these dumbass zebras run out on the field there are some well known bozos that get well deserved boos and hopefully they wind up quitting.

Let's see......a game suspension that maybe altered OU's entire season and it determines a possible bowl selection which also determines many thousands of dollars. If this was done at the corporate level the dumbass would have been fired immediately.

And while I'm at it......why are there 'conference' officials anyway? Why not just college gameday officials that aren't associated with any conference? Get rid of that!

Bottom line, until these guys are held accountable in the public eye it's only going to get worse because the lame accountability you have now within the conferences is a joke. Put these officials under the hot glare of the public spotlight and I guarantee they'll think twice before trying to manipulate a game to their liking.

Jewstin
9/19/2006, 01:07 PM
Interesting ...

I think robots would be a better option. Laser beams don't lie!

ADs_Agent
9/19/2006, 01:19 PM
robots would work, or how bout we bring in officials from overseas from the European league, they have no bias toward any school.

Legend of Ron Mexico
9/19/2006, 01:22 PM
I think it would be nice to have officials answer questions about bad calls after the game because they sure do make a lot of mistakes and there usually aren't very severe repercussions. The NFL grades their refs after the games to judge how good they're doing. It would be nice if the conferences did the same thing and made the results public.

By the way, not everybody feels OU got jobbed this week. Damn those terrorists! ;)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/legendofronmexico/protestors-ou-uo.jpg

Geekboy
9/19/2006, 02:51 PM
Well it looks like my idea of having them appear at a press conference won't do because according to the Oregonlive.com article they might get high blood pressure. :rolleyes:

OKC Sooner
9/19/2006, 10:28 PM
The trick is to think outside the box....

Before each game, there should be an auction held at midfield... each official, except for the replay guy, is auctioned off to the highest bidder. Winning bidders get to choose which school that official will 'root' for. Whichever school ends up with the fewest 'auctioned' officials, that school gets the replay guy. Turn it into a contest between the refs, with the replay guy thrown in as a wild card.

YWIA

Duckwriter
9/19/2006, 10:31 PM
I think it would be nice to have officials answer questions about bad calls after the game because they sure do make a lot of mistakes and there usually aren't very severe repercussions. The NFL grades their refs after the games to judge how good they're doing. It would be nice if the conferences did the same thing and made the results public.

By the way, not everybody feels OU got jobbed this week. Damn those terrorists! ;)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/legendofronmexico/protestors-ou-uo.jpg

Dude ... that's really f-ed up. That's not even funny, that's just friggin classless.

Duckwriter
9/19/2006, 10:34 PM
This isn't a 100% cure but it would cut down drastically this current situation [snip] I guarantee they'll think twice before trying to manipulate a game to their liking.

I think that's a great idea. Add that into the mix. But the first thing that has to change is that the Pac-10 has to start allowing visiting teams to man the review booths or call the plays on the field, one or the other. The next thing that has to happen is the budget for the replay systems needs to be commensurate with the importance of the games ... technical difficulties are not acceptable at this level. Do those two things IMMEDIATELY, and the Pac-10 might just be able to salvage a shred of credibility from this fiasco.

Blue
9/19/2006, 10:52 PM
Dude ... that's really f-ed up. That's not even funny, that's just friggin classless.

It's called a joke, dumbass. Why are you still here?

goingoneight
9/19/2006, 11:45 PM
Here's what I don't get. I'm watching my little TV in the kitchen before I got my big TV delivered last year... and I can see what is holding, false starts, downs, etc. I can judge what's fair and not, even if it hurts my own team, on a little 10" monitor. How come several line judges, field judges, referees, reviewers, etc. can't see something obvious like that?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like an "honest mistake" to me. Especially considering despite OUr weak points, we've outperformed several top 10 teams so far and here we are barely in the polls again. Wait till SUC throttles Oregon and the talk will be about how "THIS TEAM BEAT OKLAHOMA!!! USC absolutely MUST be number one!!!" Sounds like a weird conspiracy theory??? Until SUC loses, book it, I'll stand by it...