PDA

View Full Version : Man, it is going to SUCK getting our asses kicked by Directional TN State U...

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2006, 12:40 PM
And we might be lucky to win at all.

Think that's nuts?

If the focus of the team at all reflects Stoops's focus then it's not.

Remember last year how we were going to DESTROY Tulsa, just flat out PUNISH them because of how PO'd we were about the TCU game? Remember how that turned out?

A win yes.

But a "squeak-by" win.

It was clear the players hadn't recovered from the shock. This one might be worse. By Tuesday last year people nationally had quit talking about the upset the previous weekend. This year the talk about last weekend only seems to be intensifying.

And Tulsa kicked our asses up and down the field for pretty much the whole game save one AD run.

Personally I don't see MTSU as having nearly as talented a team as Tulsa brought here last year. But then again I don't know if we really know much about them at all. They've been another one of those teams that has scared the jeepers out of so-called big-boys in the last few years. Think they might be gunning for the signature upset?

We'd better pray the team is focussed and ready to go. Even a narrow win against "the little directional school" would be pretty embarrasing.

Discuss...

Fugue
9/19/2006, 12:44 PM
night game
liquored up angry loud fan base
AD

big win

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 12:51 PM
Whew. All is right with the world again.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2006, 12:54 PM
I think he's serious this time.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/19/2006, 12:55 PM
The big key difference being we just beat a Top 20 Oregon team in their own house. At this point last year, we were barely better than Tulsa, Tulsa had better TE's and QB's and we were so inept on offense, that we weren't going to blow anyone away!

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2006, 01:04 PM
I think he's serious this time.

Yup.

I'm not saying we won't or shouldn't win the game. But if you were on the team would you even feel like playing football right now? We're talking about 18-22 year-olds here. Some are going to want to go out there right now... this very minute. But some are going to be wishing they could take a blow.

So as a team I would expect mixed performances/results. As a team I would expect an attitude of "Gawd, if we can just shlog through this game then we can take a little break before Texas week."

So in the least I expect a sluggish performance. It might even be a "Danger Will Robinson" game.

If I'm wrong and they come out looking like a well-oiled machine and just torch these guys... then the rest of the season will be looking up indeed.

I just wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2006, 01:11 PM
I just wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I wouldn't bet your farm on it either.

Hey, aren't I supposed to be getting ****ed at you naysayers right now? Damn this week has me confused.

flopshotjoe99
9/19/2006, 01:12 PM
focus will be a big concern Saturday, hopefully OU rolls.:cool:

SoonerJason
9/19/2006, 01:12 PM
Mills went to the NFL.. No squeaking

Jason White's Third Knee
9/19/2006, 01:19 PM
Since when is Middle a direction?

TX_SOONER_FAN
9/19/2006, 01:26 PM
Technically, I believe Middle is the absence of any direction

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/19/2006, 01:27 PM
Where was the mojo thread last week when we needed it !!!

The Consumate Showman
9/19/2006, 02:09 PM
And we might be lucky to win at all.

Think that's nuts?

If the focus of the team at all reflects Stoops's focus then it's not.

Remember last year how we were going to DESTROY Tulsa, just flat out PUNISH them because of how PO'd we were about the TCU game? Remember how that turned out?

A win yes.

But a "squeak-by" win.

It was clear the players hadn't recovered from the shock. This one might be worse. By Tuesday last year people nationally had quit talking about the upset the previous weekend. This year the talk about last weekend only seems to be intensifying.

And Tulsa kicked our asses up and down the field for pretty much the whole game save one AD run.

Personally I don't see MTSU as having nearly as talented a team as Tulsa brought here last year. But then again I don't know if we really know much about them at all. They've been another one of those teams that has scared the jeepers out of so-called big-boys in the last few years. Think they might be gunning for the signature upset?

We'd better pray the team is focussed and ready to go. Even a narrow win against "the little directional school" would be pretty embarrasing.

Discuss...

You point, while valid in reference to our team at this time last year(somewhat), is moot. Now I'm not trying to be an azz here, but think about this:
1) We would all agree, I think, that this year's team is much better than last year's team at this point.
2) This is NOT 2005.
3) AD is 100% healthy
4) IMO, right now, we are playing as good or better than we were last year late in the season.
5) Our QB play is VASTLY improved.
6) OL has proven that is has the capability to be good.
7) The only question or concern that any of us should have is our D, which is ludacris based on all the "hype" surrounding them; but the silver lining is that I believe that we are only a game away from putting everything together and playing GREAT. We have toooooo many great athletes not to.

If you look at what happened to us last season, TCU did beat us...fair and square. No cheating refs involved, plus, we lost on our home field on the opener...I think our guys were EXTREMELY shell shocked after that one. But in looking later in the year at the TT game, we were: a) on the road b) cheated several times c) our guys KNEW they should have won that game and were greatly cheated.

Having said that, LOOK at what we did against lOSUr the following week after the TT game. I do seem to remember being there and seeing AD run like a freaking mad man.

This week = huge blowout. and tejas??? they had better prepare the 55 gallon drums of vaseline on their sidleine for the RRS.

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 02:17 PM
But if you were on the team would you even feel like playing football right now? We're talking about 18-22 year-olds here. Some are going to want to go out there right now... this very minute. But some are going to be wishing they could take a blow.
I used to feel this way too. However, the year Tulsa made it to the Elite-8, I went to their game at ORU where ORU somehow managed to beat them. I expected the team would basically fall apart but I saw some of them afterwards laughing and joking around. They ended up losing only 5 games that year. I think a lot of these kids have gotten better at letting losses roll off than we as fans do.

toast
9/19/2006, 02:20 PM
Does Northern Middle Tennessee State Tech even have weights?

Joe87OU1
9/19/2006, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=
5) Our QB play is VASTLY improved.[/QUOTE]

VASTLY!

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 02:26 PM
I think Mr Odanorth has a valid point. Frankly, I'm concerned about this game.
The last game HAD to drain the players emotionally in light of the outcome, and even more because of what university officials and talking heads keep saying about it now.
Obvioulsy, the fans have not been able to let last week go, and I'm afraid the very young men on the team might be suffering the same ill effects, even if they are quiet about it.
If MTSU gets off to a good start, or even if they "hang around" while OU fiddles and plays flat, they could pull a huge upset. That would drop OU to it lowest point in the Stoops era and make us the undisputed Big Joke of college football.
Mr Stoops needs to stop talking NOW about last week, and the coaches need to make damn sure the players are not thinking about last week or the RRS. We have much more to lose than to gain in this game, and we'd better be ready to kick azz right from the start.

Sincerely,
Grandma

Fugue
9/19/2006, 02:27 PM
night game
liquored up angry loud fan base
AD

big win

what, nobody is up for an angry drinkfest? uo officials must have stolen our sacks too.
:D

Ash
9/19/2006, 02:29 PM
Does Northern Middle Tennessee State Tech even have weights?

Can't say, but rumor has it they have or will soon hold a practice this week before the game. Stay tuned...

OUstudent4life
9/19/2006, 02:29 PM
what, nobody is up for an angry drinkfest? uo officials must have stolen our sacks too.

Oh, my friend, there will be drinking. Make no mistake.

Drink.

Ing.

Ash
9/19/2006, 02:31 PM
The last game HAD to drain the players emotionally in light of the outcome, and even more because of what university officials and talking heads keep saying about it now.
Obvioulsy, the fans have not been able to let last week go, and I'm afraid the very young men on the team might be suffering the same ill effects, even if they are quiet about it.
If MTSU gets off to a good start, or even if they "hang around" while OU fiddles and plays flat, they could pull a huge upset. That would drop OU to it lowest point in the Stoops era and make us the undisputed Big Joke of college football.
Mr Stoops needs to stop talking NOW about last week, and the coaches need to make damn sure the players are not thinking about last week or the RRS. We have much more to lose than to gain in this game, and we'd better be ready to kick azz right from the start.

Sincerely,
Grandma

Have you thought about making yourself available as Stoops personal coaching consultant?

easy there ==>;)

Fugue
9/19/2006, 02:34 PM
Jackassery aside, i think OU found out how good they could be on Saturday. I'm looking for a beatdown.

tulsaOUfan
9/19/2006, 02:56 PM
***WARNING*** OU fans will be ****ed after watching this video.
Not only did Oregon touch the ball first but they also didnt even recover the kick at all. This video shows CONCLUSIVE evidence that the Sooners were robbed on the highest level. Congradulations to the NCAA and PAC-10 officals for botching the game. Oregon should be ashamed for taking advantage of this situation. Disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDtfppxP4Q8

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2006, 03:27 PM
Not only did Oregon touch the ball first but they also didnt even recover the kick at all. This video shows CONCLUSIVE evidence that the Sooners were robbed on the highest level. Congradulations to the NCAA and PAC-10 officals for botching the game. Oregon should be ashamed for taking advantage of this situation. Disgusting.

Wow! What a find! Next you'll be telling me that the world trade center towers no longer exist.

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 03:52 PM
The officials have been lifting weights.

The Consumate Showman
9/19/2006, 09:23 PM

Sincerely,
Grandma

I think you need to re-read what I posted earlier. Too much concern from Sooner fans about a team and game that WILL be a preactice session before the RRS. Here's my post yet again:

Your point, while valid in reference to our team at this time last year(somewhat), is moot. Now I'm not trying to be an azz here, but think about this:
1) We would all agree, I think, that this year's team is much better than last year's team at this point.
2) This is NOT 2005.
3) AD is 100% healthy
4) IMO, right now, we are playing as good or better than we were last year late in the season.
5) Our QB play is VASTLY improved.
6) OL has proven that is has the capability to be good.
7) The only question or concern that any of us should have is our D, which is ludacris based on all the "hype" surrounding them; but the silver lining is that I believe that we are only a game away from putting everything together and playing GREAT. We have toooooo many great athletes not to.

If you look at what happened to us last season, TCU did beat us...fair and square. No cheating refs involved, plus, we lost on our home field on the opener...I think our guys were EXTREMELY shell shocked after that one. But in looking later in the year at the TT game, we were: a) on the road b) cheated several times c) our guys KNEW they should have won that game and were greatly cheated.

Having said that, LOOK at what we did against lOSUr the following week after the TT game. I do seem to remember being there and seeing AD run like a freaking mad man.

This week = huge blowout. and tejas??? they had better prepare the 55 gallon drums of vaseline on their sidleine for the RRS.

Stitch Face
9/19/2006, 09:39 PM

Someone let me in on the joke about this post showing up in every thread. Go ahead. You can PM me.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 09:45 PM
That's it, we're doomed.

Scotty
9/19/2006, 09:49 PM
Someone let me in on the joke about this post showing up in every thread. Go ahead. You can PM me.

same here

KAjunRaider
9/19/2006, 11:36 PM
Technically, I believe Middle is the absence of any direction

You will know where "Middle" is after the ballgame. We won't win, but we'll give ya'll a helluva run for your Cherokee money.

sanantoniosooner
9/19/2006, 11:39 PM
You will know where "Middle" is after the ballgame. We won't win, but we'll give ya'll a helluva run for your Cherokee money.
I got a pretty good idea where middle is, but I appreciate the assistance.

Is there a reason you want to wait til alfter the game to reveal this? Is it a secret?

I like secrets.

KAjunRaider
9/20/2006, 12:13 AM
Coach Stockstill's Press Conference

(sorry, Sooner folks, I can only post replies in this forum-- cannot start new threads)

Coach Stockstill Press Conference Video (http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/20918)

Fraggle145
9/20/2006, 01:27 AM
Jackassery aside, i think OU found out how good they could be on Saturday. I'm looking for a beatdown.

Amen to this... on top of that I crawled into a bottle of Jager last saturday... this saturday I look to have burst through a bottle of Jager before the 1st quarter... big difference... booze+OU football at night = heaven

GoMTBlue
9/20/2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry about this as well, but I can't start a new thread. There is a story in the local paper about Murfreesboro resident and former OU player Leo Martin. He talks about the tradition of OU football and his experience playing on two national championship teams. Just thought you might like to read it.

Here's the link (http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060920/NEWS01/609200321/1002)

BlueRaiderZone.com (http://www.BlueRaiderZone.com)

OUDoc
9/20/2006, 08:36 AM
You will know where "Middle" is after the ballgame.
Bad touch!

TX_SOONER_FAN
9/20/2006, 08:54 AM

Dude, I meant "Middle is the absence of direction" in the literal sense (lines of the compass) meaning, IMO, this should not be considered the preverbial "directional school". I was not referencing lack of direction in any leadership or focus sense. Still, way to balz up for your team!

Gotta respect the schedule makers too, Florida, Georgia, Bama, Tennessee and Oklahoma all on the schedule in the past coupla years.

tbl
9/20/2006, 09:24 AM
I wonder if the huge payouts from those schools had anything to do with it?

Landthief 1972
9/20/2006, 09:27 AM
soonerboy, I commend you on your choice of bait this week.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/20/2006, 12:47 PM
soonerboy, I commend you on your choice of bait this week.

Time to start a-shiftin' ye ol focus offa alleged things that may or may not have happened this last weekend in some Northwestern part of these here United States...

boomrsoonr
9/20/2006, 01:30 PM

I already know where the middle is. I wipe it at least once a day. It also deposits little kajunraiders in the toilet.

kruss1971
9/20/2006, 04:24 PM

Discuss...

I think a better comparison would be the TT game and the following game against OSU. We were ready...

Score: OU 42 - OSU 14

AD: 24 for 237, 2 TDs, 9.9ypc

yermom
9/20/2006, 05:20 PM
i think AD catches Billy Sims on Saturday

Stitch Face
9/20/2006, 06:05 PM
i think AD catches Billy Sims on Saturday

Big deal. No way Billy Sims is as fast as he used to be.

Dio
9/20/2006, 06:37 PM
This is the game Stoops should be talking about calling off. In fact, we should probably just cancel the season and let the soccer team use the stadium.

TUSooner
9/20/2006, 06:48 PM
I'll say this: If the team is as focused on MTSU as we fans are....

we're in a heap o' trouble, boy

:eek: :twinkies:

leavingthezoo
9/20/2006, 07:35 PM
looks like they'll becoming in with a hole in the offensive line. senior Germayle Franklin just lost his mother to cancer and will miss the game. :(

i don't know what that mean exactly as far as closing up holes for the defensive line. i really think AD has a huge day saturday though. and not only in the second half. i hope.

leavingthezoo
9/20/2006, 07:38 PM
heh. i tried to be serious amongst you monkeys. what was i thinking?

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/20/2006, 10:16 PM
Well I wish Germayle Franklin the best, I know football is the farthest thing from his mind. I just don't think Middle Tennessee can play with us more than a quarter. They just don't have the talent UAB or TCU has and they will get overwhelmed with it

OKC-SLC
9/20/2006, 10:46 PM
looks like they'll becoming in with a hole in the offensive line. senior Germayle Franklin just lost his mother to cancer and will miss the game. :(
that's terrible.

TUSooner
9/21/2006, 09:05 AM
bump

GoMTBlue
9/21/2006, 09:13 AM
that's terrible.
Thanks guys. Not only is Franklin our best lineman, he's a really good guy. It's got to suck to lose your mother at such a young age.

leavingthezoo
9/21/2006, 09:18 AM
welcome MTBlue. any interesting points, in your opinion, on your team?

sorry to hear about Franklin. that's just too young to be losing your mother. :(

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 09:32 AM
You point, while valid in reference to our team at this time last year(somewhat), is moot.

I wanna know where the hell you get off spelling mute wrong! :mad:

leavingthezoo
9/21/2006, 09:36 AM
I wanna know where the hell you get off spelling mute wrong! :mad:

the debate between the spelling of moot and mute is a moot point. :D

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 09:38 AM
You better stare spelling it mute before it moot you for good!

GoMTBlue
9/21/2006, 11:12 PM
welcome MTBlue. any interesting points, in your opinion, on your team?

sorry to hear about Franklin. that's just too young to be losing your mother. :(

Thanks for the kind words about Franklin.

In years past we have had a high powered offense, but no defense to go with it. Last year and this year are different. We have a pretty solid defense, especially for a mid-major, but our offense has been sluggish.

We are in our first year under Rick Stockstill (He was QB at FSU when they started to make a name for themselves down in Tallahassee and likens MT to FSU back in that era). The players have taken to him and the new staff very well, but we are still learning their system. Since moving up to D1A in 1999 we have never been able to build up our scholarship level to the NCAA allowable 85. I blame this on signing too many JUCOs and taking too many chances on prop 48's that didn't pan out. With so many of these "risky" players it hurt our APR and we got penalized very heavily this year. We were only able to sign 12 guys, so right now we have about 65 scholarship players. I say this to tell you that depth is a real issue for us. On top of that, we have already had 3 or 4 guys go down with season ending injuries.

I have a friend that is a huge OU fan, but living in TN he goes to all the MT games with me. He says that #25 J.K. Sabb our middle linebacker could start for OU.

Clint Marks, our QB, has been inconsistent, even though he is 2nd among active QB's in completion percentage.

Our receivers are a little young and unproven.

Our LB's and secondary are the real deal. I don't know how we will stack up against OU, but they have been very successful on the mid-major level.

#20 Eugene Gross has been stellar throughout his career. His back-up is Demarco McNair. McNair has more speed, but is not as powerful.

Our D-line is young and light. I'm fearful that your O-line will push them around all evening. I also have concerns about our O-Line and especially with Franklin missing the game due to the loss of his mother.

As our coach said on his radio program, OU will have more talent than MT at every position, but our goal is to play mistake free and see what happens.

We will not have many fans in Norman this weekend. In year's past we have traveled very well. As a matter of fact, when we play SEC teams we have many people talk about the crowd we bring and how passionate we are. I think most of our fans now realize that these "money" games are fun, but the important games for us are our Sun Belt conference games, so many are electing to go to the conference games instead.

I expect us to play OU much like all the other "money" games. I have a feeling that at halftime many of the OU fans will be frustrated and can't believe that OU isn't blowing out Middle Tennessee. Probably around the middle of the 3rd quater OU will get on track and MT's players will be worn out. OU will then cruise to an easy victory.

FYI, if any of you gamble, MT is always a solid bet in "money" games. I can't remember the last time MT didn't beat the spread in a "money" game.

Here's too a good game this weekend and hoping that the officials help MT out as much as they helped out Oregon. :)

BlueRaiderZone.com (http://www.BlueRaiderZone.com)

Blue
9/21/2006, 11:19 PM
Great post. Here's to a good game...but not too good. ;)

cherokeebrewer
9/21/2006, 11:47 PM
we'll give ya'll a helluva run for your Cherokee money.
Hey now! You better bring a lunch..

leavingthezoo
9/22/2006, 12:49 PM
thanks for the rundown MT.

i'm curious to watch Sabb play now for sure.

GoMTBlue
9/22/2006, 02:40 PM
Here's a story on Sabb from the Middle Tennessee web site.

September 22, 2006
Sabb drawing rave reviews (http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/20955)
Leads nation's 11th ranked defense
MT Media Relations
LB J.K. Sabb leads the Blue Raiders in tackles and ranks 10th nationally in tackles for loss. (J. Intintoli)

J.K. Sabb may have a future in film. He already knows how to play to a crowd and give encore performances. As long as Sabb has an audience, he's all about putting on a show. Sabb and the Blue Raiders will play on the big stage in front of more than 80,000 at Memorial Stadium in Norman, Okla., Saturday.
"When the lights come on and there are fans in the stands, I like to perform for them," Sabb said. "Those fans pay to watch the games and I always want to play hard for them and give them a show."

His act has not become old where Middle Tennessee football fans are concerned. In fact, it has become a long-running hit, literally. Sabb, Middle Tennessee's 5-foot-11, 221-pound middle linebacker, was an immediate success after transferring from Georgia Military Junior College prior to the 2005 season.

Sabb proved to be a difference maker, leading the Blue Raiders with 71 tackles, 13 for loss, and he hauled in an interception. The gridiron is his cinema and peers are knowledgeable of the dynamic presentations he is delivering.

For example, Sabb has been named to the preliminary list of 65 candidates for this year's Butkus Award, which is annually presented to the nation's best college linebacker. He has been named Preseason First-Team All-Sun Belt by Sporting News, and Blue Ribbon College Yearbook, and Sabb also was named to the Preseason All-Sun Belt team by the league's head coaches and select media voters.

Needless to say, his play has drawn rave reviews.

"The big thing I'm most pleased with is his improvement from the spring until now," Middle Tennessee head coach Rick Stockstill said. "He made a commitment to change his body and get into good shape and he has become a better football player. He's improved a lot from the spring to this point. He brings quickness and speed to the defense. He's a person that likes football, likes practice, and he likes playing the game. He's a good football player; you wish this was his sophomore or freshman year."

After a smashing debut in 2005, Sabb has come charging out of the gates at the outset of 2006. The Augusta, Ga., native helped key a Middle Tennessee defense that limited Florida International to just one score in a 7-6 Blue Raider win in the season opener and he ignited the group in a shutout win against rival Tennessee Tech. Sabb leads the No. 11-rated defense in the nation with 19 tackles, five for loss, and two sacks.

The unit will receive a stern test when it faces No. 16 Oklahoma and Heisman Trophy candidate Adrian Peterson Saturday in Norman, Okla.

"Our defense has played well but we can be better," Sabb said. "We have to improve in some areas and eliminate some mistakes but we are a close group and we expect to make plays. I expect this to be a good defense. That's why I came to Middle Tennessee. I wanted to make an impact."

Linebackers coach Art Kaufman, who has mentored Sabb each of the last two seasons, said the gifted athlete is capable of not only being a solid defender, but also making others around him better.

"If there's a chance for him to be set up to make that play, J.K. will make the play," Kaufman said. "If people don't worry about him he can do some things and if teams are worried about him then someone else is freed up to make plays so he is a guy who can help you in a lot of different ways.

"We expect a lot of production out of him. He should be one of our most productive players and he expects that of himself. J.K. is one of the more athletic guys on the team and he has really good instincts, he understands the game, and he plays with a lot of savvy."

In 2005, Sabb was part of a Middle Tennessee defense ranked 17th nationally in scoring defense, and 28th nationally in total defense. It was the highest national ranking in either category since Middle Tennessee became a Division I-A member in 1999.

"And I think we can be even better in 2006," Sabb said. "We have the potential to be a very good defense and as we continue to grow and develop within this new defensive scheme, we are only going to get better as a unit. That gets me excited."

And when Sabb gets keyed up, fans have a tendency to get excited because they know it's showtime.

TripleOption14
9/22/2006, 03:13 PM

Jackassery...!!! hahahaha :D That's EPICCCC!! hahaha Good one

No seriously, Fugue is right if this team does not start playing w/ a serious chip on their shoulder (more specially the D) then its gonna be a LONGGGG conf. season my friends!!!