PDA

View Full Version : STOOPS PRESS CONFERENCE

The Maestro
9/19/2006, 12:32 PM
Missed the beginning, but he blasted the Pac 10 for having only Pac Ten officials at their games...mentioned key turnovers lost at UCLA last year as well...and said that if that stays the same that the trip to Washington may be in jeopardy.

He wouldn't dwell on anything, but just said it is painfully obvious about what happened and that's what makes it hard to get over it. Said the team has moved on...also said he would not discuss what he thinks should happen to the officials.

I can't hear the questions, but he sounded like he could care less about the problems for the replay official. He said it wasn't his job to know anything about the replay official and who he is.

Will go back and watch the entire thing for clarity. Trying to watch and listen at work...

The Maestro
9/19/2006, 12:36 PM
Stoops said that anyone who thinks less of AD for OU having a win taken from them...in light of the Heisman...is foolish...mentioned him rushing for 140 yards in the 4th quarter on the road in a hostile environment. Praised PT...said the defense has to start at being better against the run.

Mentioned the field goal attempt being too low but gave Oregon credit for getting up.

Said the defense played good, but just didn't execute in key moments. The early screen for the big gain was run again and again by Oregon and covered well and the team was prepared for it. Just that one play hurt us.

The Maestro
9/19/2006, 12:41 PM
Credited Oregon for having good players...said that you can't stop teams all the time and sometimes they stop you. Sound irritated that people think we should just dominate every game.

Admitted there were not 7 guys on the line of scrimmage on the TD called back.

Said whether 3-0 or 2-1 we gotta go win this week.

Partial Qualifier
9/19/2006, 12:51 PM
Mentioned the field goal attempt being too low but gave Oregon credit for getting up.

He said "Oregon did a good job of climbing up each other to get the block"

I wonder if that was a backhander because technically, that's cheating. They can't use another teammate's body as a means to get a higher jump.

Jewstin
9/19/2006, 12:56 PM
He said "Oregon did a good job of climbing up each other to get the block"

I wonder if that was a backhander because technically, that's cheating. They can't use another teammate's body as a means to get a higher jump.

I thought this same thing, so I looked up the rule after the kick got blocked. If you get a running start, you can't do it (meaning greater than one yard). It sure looked to me like they had 5 or 6 players do exactly that.

Oh well. If we didn't get the onside kick or the pass interference, we weren't going to get that.

OUGreg723
9/19/2006, 12:58 PM
Stoops is going CARAAYYYZZZAAAYYY!

Europasooner
9/19/2006, 12:59 PM
Oregon did not stand on each other to block the kick. That is illegal and is a penalty, but it did not happen. The players did get up in the air, but the problem was the ball was late and low coming out.

You can't have it both ways. If you want the replay to show what happened on the onside kick and pass interference, then you have to watch the replay of the blocked kick and there were no players on top of each other.

fadada1
9/19/2006, 01:02 PM
Oregon did not stand on each other to block the kick. That is illegal and is a penalty, but it did not happen. The players did get up in the air, but the problem was the ball was late and low coming out.

You can't have it both ways. If you want the replay to show what happened on the onside kick and pass interference, then you have to watch the replay of the blocked kick and there were no players on top of each other.
if you believe that, you saw the same replay as the officials.

Fugue
9/19/2006, 01:03 PM

what does the replay have to do with what is called? :texan:

RiddlerOK
9/19/2006, 01:07 PM

You sir, need a new pair of glasses. There was an obviously blatant violation of NCAA rules whereby defenders are not allowed to leap ON or climb on their teammates in an attempt to receive assistance in blocking an attempted field goal.

If you look at ther TIVO (which I am beginning to think doesn't exist in Oregon, just like in the replay booth) you willl see at least 5 of the 11 defenders engaged in this illegal action.

I am not making any excuses for OU. The kick was indeed low. But don't also try to cover up the obvious fact that Oregon also was committing a penalty and the play should have been repeated as the result of a defensive penalty.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 01:11 PM
Defenders climb or use teammates to block kicks all the time. It is rare when it is called- (usually when it's obvious that a guy doesn't have a 55'' vertical.)

sooneron
9/19/2006, 01:12 PM
Oh, and kicks from 44 yards out, usually are low, otherwise, the ball won't travel far enough. That's why short kicks are not often blocked.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2006, 01:24 PM
Defenders climb or use teammates to block kicks all the time. It is rare when it is called- (usually when it's obvious that a guy doesn't have a 55'' vertical.)

uh, LSU? or auburn or whoever it was that got another chance because of this very rule. it was a point of emphasis 2 years ago.

StuIsTheMan
9/19/2006, 01:32 PM
I need a link to the press conference...anybody?

BoonesFarmSooner
9/19/2006, 02:32 PM
ESPN News keeps replaying the first part of the Stoops press conference today.

HE IS PI$$ED!!!

I'm glad he's laying into the Pac10.

SoonToBeGone06
9/19/2006, 02:35 PM
A bit about the replay official:

"It's Riese's spleen the country wants.

So let's give it to them. But first you should know that Riese didn't see the ABC television feed that viewers watched at home, which you, your spouse and your children know showed an Oregon player touching the ball before it traveled the required 10 yards. And you should know that Riese will not talk about specifics on the call, but said: "My supervisor knows what happened up there and that's all that matters."

A source in the replay booth on Saturday said that Riese found himself crunched for time, pressured by television and the on-field referee for a rapid decision, and there was such a delay in getting the video feed to Riese that he never even got to properly review the play.

The Pac-10's coordinator of football officiating confirmed that Riese didn't get all of the replays that ABC was providing.

With all the cameras working the game that one half of the country was watching, Riese saw only a single frame of video, the source said. The angle was bad. But it appeared to show an Oklahoma player touching the ball with his helmet before it hit the Oregon player. (From other angles, clearly, it hits the Ducks player first.) With no other video immediately available, and television waiting, <b>Riese did what he's told to do when he's out of time and has no conclusive evidence.</b>

<b>He upheld the call on the field.</b>

SoonToBeGone06
9/19/2006, 02:37 PM
You sir, need a new pair of glasses. There was an obviously blatant violation of NCAA rules whereby defenders are not allowed to leap ON or climb on their teammates in an attempt to receive assistance in blocking an attempted field goal.

If you look at ther TIVO (which I am beginning to think doesn't exist in Oregon, just like in the replay booth) you willl see at least 5 of the 11 defenders engaged in this illegal action.

I am not making any excuses for OU. The kick was indeed low. But don't also try to cover up the obvious fact that Oregon also was committing a penalty and the play should have been repeated as the result of a defensive penalty.

Yeah, Oklahomah has NEVER benefited from calls going there way. Boo-Hoo

David Earl
9/19/2006, 02:42 PM
SoonToBeShoe-Whipped06

OnlyOneOklahoma
9/19/2006, 03:04 PM
I believe the term for what David Earl did to SoonToBeATool is PWNT!

Jewstin
9/19/2006, 04:38 PM
I am so tired of the comparisons of this debacle to calls from the pre-replay era, on this forum and with the glorious pieces of journalism on ESPN.

Everybody is comparing apples and oranges when they talk about that. That's like comparing fatality rates between new cars that have airbags and old cars that don't, for a lack of a better analogy.

NO ONE can point to a single issue that is even remotely similar in terms of situation/magnitude/negligence in the era of college football video replay.

"Awww shucks, he didn't mean to do it, pa" is neither justification or excuse. We want blood! ... well, not blood, but something equally viscous and important!!

cwood60
9/19/2006, 05:01 PM
Man, ESPN can't get anything right with this.

http://www.geocities.com/woody6092/espn.jpg

picasso
9/19/2006, 05:29 PM
I heard James Hale's clips of Stoops after the game Saturday night. he said they stacked each other on the blocked field goal but said it was perfectly legal and they did a good job of it.

TopDawg
9/19/2006, 05:35 PM
I am so tired of the comparisons of this debacle to calls from the pre-replay era, on this forum and with the glorious pieces of journalism on ESPN.

Everybody is comparing apples and oranges when they talk about that. That's like comparing fatality rates between new cars that have airbags and old cars that don't, for a lack of a better analogy.

NO ONE can point to a single issue that is even remotely similar in terms of situation/magnitude/negligence in the era of college football video replay.

Yes! But why single out ESPN? There are several other national media idiots doing it too.

jeremy885
9/19/2006, 06:44 PM

Dude, OU does it on almost every PAT. They use to call it during it's first year, but not anymore (or I haven't seen it called in awhile).