PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!

Chuck Bao
9/19/2006, 11:59 AM
It appears that the police and army have seized control of Bangkok.

They've shut down CNN, BBC and outside news.

Damn!

If you guys hear anything, let me know.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 11:59 AM
Good luck Chuck, hope you have a safe place to stay.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2006, 12:00 PM
all isnt lost, you've still got internet

seriously, stay safe!

KaiserSooner
9/19/2006, 12:03 PM
I'm guessing the coup is endorsed by the king?

Widescreen
9/19/2006, 12:07 PM
Keep in touch, dude! And stay safe.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/19/2006, 12:14 PM
So you never saw it coming?

Chuck Bao
9/19/2006, 12:22 PM
We've heard rumours and I've been writing about for months.

According to a SMS from a colleague, the army is split and is prepared to fight.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will most certainly stay safe.

OUDoc
9/19/2006, 12:27 PM
Take care, Chuck.

Chuck Bao
9/19/2006, 12:33 PM
I'm going out to buy a bottle of whiskey or a couple bottles just in case.

OU4LIFE
9/19/2006, 12:40 PM
I'm going out to buy a bottle of whiskey or a couple bottles just in case.

to bribe them incase they show up wanting buttsecks?

good thinking.

SoonerInKCMO
9/19/2006, 01:10 PM
Here's the gist of what our company sent out in an e-mail (we have a subsidiary in Bangkok):

A military coup is directed at the current Prime Minister Thakshin Shinawatra who had offered to step down last year but hasn't actually done so to date. Thaksin had been charged with corruption.

I was informed that the military action (tanks rolling down the streets that was reported on CNN ) is "localized" in the Government area. The area affected is the government buildings located quite a distance away [from our offices]. Both [employees] confirm that neighborhoods etc are fine and show no indications of protests or trouble.

[We] have shut down the office tonight (Bangkok time) and closed their night shift operations.

Expats and Staff plan to be back at work tomorrow AM barring unforseen events.

All [company] expats are being contacted and informed to be on alert.

OklahomaTuba
9/19/2006, 01:14 PM
We just told our guys to hightail it to Singapore. We have an office in Bangkok and Rayong.

OklahomaTuba
9/19/2006, 01:15 PM
Well, phuket.

mdklatt
9/19/2006, 01:15 PM
They've shut down CNN, BBC and outside news.

Lucky for you they've never heard of the innerweb. :twinkies:

Chuck Bao
9/21/2006, 09:38 AM
It had been 15 years and almost seven months since the last bloodless coup d’etat in Thailand and I guess we were due for one. Yeah, I’m being sarcastic.

First of all, I'm fine. Maybe, I’m a little exhausted and that’s mainly from spending two days arguing about it with my colleagues and friends. Nobody was never really in danger, I don’t think, except Thaksin and his key supporters.

There is no opposition to the military’s power grab and I think most Bangkokians are just thankful that this political crisis is finally over, even though it took guns and tanks and tearing up the constitution to do it.

According to one American friend living in the far northeast of the country, people in the village were more concerned about what to have for breakfast than goings on in Bangkok. Anyway, the whole deal was signed, sealed and fait accompli with pictures of the army brass on their way to the palace.

What do I think? I’m a bit ****ed off, frankly. Fresh elections would have been held in November, anyway. Of course, Thaksin and his Thai Love Thai party would have won the majority of the votes and gained new legitimacy. What I really take umbrage about is the notion that Thailand isn’t really ready for democracy or that Thaksin’s brand of populist politics isn’t real democracy at all. Essentially, they’re saying: “Those poor, rural, uneducated farmers can’t be trusted to cast their votes wisely.”

Okay, I don’t always agree with election results. I may even call those who voted for the winning candidate stupid. Heh! But, no way am I’m throwing in the towel on everyone should have a say.

The news of the coup spread about 9pm on Tuesday night. Some of my analysts and I stayed up all night calling, emailing and SMSing each other. Our primary source of information was from the Internet since the TV stations were taken over and broadcasting only a recorded message and playing martial music and pictures of HM the King. Anyway, we knew that everything would be closed on Wednesday and we could sleep in.

But, I couldn’t sleep in. I had to wait until 5am and read the Bangkok Post and Nation newspapers and then I decided to go to my office.

Actually, I was really thinking about going to Government House where the tanks were parked as a show of power more than anything. My main idea is that reporters would be around that area and I could get a better idea of what was going on. Foolhardy, I know. Okay, the truth is that I really wanted a pic of the tanks festooned with yellow ribbons signifying their support for HM the King. I never made it there, partially because I don’t think I could find my way to Government House and it was pouring down rain.

I got an eerie feeling driving my bike into the office. No cars or trucks on the roads. The last time I experienced Bangkok with no traffic was during the May 1992 political crisis and at that time we were racing around the city on our bikes breaking curfew on our way to pro-democracy protest.

I’ve learned some important lessons from the 1991 coup and 1992 Black May incidents – mainly make sure that there is food in your home and money in your pocket. During the ’92 crisis, I waited too late and negotiated to buy a loaf of bread for the equivalent of $5 at a closed mom and pop shop through a chain fence. Luckily, I found an ATM that hadn’t yet run out of cash.

This time, I go get my cash and visit the local 7-Eleven. But, I somehow change my mind and decided to buy a bottle of whiskey instead of the bread. Yeah, I know, what was I thinking. I should have bought something to mix with it and some ice.

When I got to my office, one of my colleagues called and started gloating and going on and on about how this is a step forward for democracy. Yeah? Like the army gets to vote with guns and tanks and that’s a step forward for democracy? I told him that it was a pity that he was willing to screw his whole country when he just had a hard on for Thaksin.

I shouldn’t have yelled at him and he shouldn’t have called me back with my boss on a three-way line. My boss is the company president and CEO. He’s the one who wrote all those editorials for a local newspaper attacking Thaksin and made me edit them. Urgh!

I shouldn’t have yelled at my boss.

I was surprised about the news coverage of the coup. Of course, it helps that Thaksin was preparing to give his speech before the UN at the time. Some of the reports were way off with little understanding of the situation.

There was one article that even suggested that students may protest the military takeover. Today’s students? Heh! I’m still laughing about anti-Thaksin protest at several universities staged last week and only the lecturers showed up.

Besides the apathetic students, there are many who saw Thaksin as a corrupt dictator and truly believe that the military is righting a wrong. There are others who see Thaksin as a champion of the rural poor. The best news stories are those who quote both sides.

Basically, I tried to put a positive spin on it. It isn’t very good. But, if you want to read it, here’s the link:

http://kelive.kimeng.co.th/kelive/UploadPdfs/20060921095405999060921_Stockgazer_e.pdf

Anyway, we have a military government for two weeks until an interim civilian government is appointed to draft a new constitution and hold elections within one year. In the meantime, I understand that it’s illegal to criticize the military and for five or more people gathering together to discuss politics. That’s okay by me, as long as they let me watch my TV.

jk the sooner fan
9/21/2006, 09:54 AM
what kind of job do you have there?

OklahomaTuba
9/21/2006, 10:14 AM
So I guess the Oregon robbery isn't a big story over there at the moment?

picasso
9/21/2006, 10:58 AM
could be worse. you could be in Harlem with Hugo Chavez Chavez.

Widescreen
9/21/2006, 11:17 AM
There is no opposition to the military’s power grab and I think most Bangkokians are just thankful that this political crisis is finally over, even though it took guns and tanks and tearing up the constitution to do it.

Fresh elections would have been held in November, anyway. Of course, Thaksin and his Thai Love Thai party would have won the majority of the votes and gained new legitimacy. What I really take umbrage about is the notion that Thailand isn’t really ready for democracy or that Thaksin’s brand of populist politics isn’t real democracy at all. Essentially, they’re saying: “Those poor, rural, uneducated farmers can’t be trusted to cast their votes wisely.”

This seems contradictory. Does this mean that Bangkokians didn't like Thaksin but the rural majority would've put him back in power in November?

By the way, glad you're safe!

Chuck Bao
9/21/2006, 11:37 AM
This seems contradictory. Does this mean that Bangkokians didn't like Thaksin but the rural majority would've put him back in power in November?

By the way, glad you're safe!

Thanks and yeah, exactly. Bangkok has a pop of about 10 million, but it's only about 17% of the total pop. So, there is that power struggle between the traditional centrist bureaucrats in Bangkok and the elected members of parliament from the provinces. Thaksin sided with and was supported by the provincial politicians while trying to reform the Bangkok bureaucracy.

That's an issue that other countries have and will face - rich / elite vs. poor / majority.

Of course in this case, anti-Thaksin people say it's only a question of corrupt vs. clean.

Widescreen
9/21/2006, 12:21 PM
I sure hope the military is "clean". Otherwise, Thailand may be in for some long-term problems.

Chuck Bao
9/22/2006, 05:53 AM
I'm off to the pro-democracy rally.

There could be trouble since Thailand is still under martial law and it is illegal for more than five people to gather for political purposes.

The situation got a little more tense this afternoon with the stock market suddenly falling about 2% on rumors of a counter coup from the army troops in the northeast still loyal to the ousted prime minister.

To hell with all of them, I'm going to the protest anyway.

85Sooner
9/22/2006, 10:44 AM
Here's the gist of what our company sent out in an e-mail (we have a subsidiary in Bangkok):

A military coup is directed at the current Prime Minister Thakshin Shinawatra who had offered to step down last year but hasn't actually done so to date. Thaksin had been charged with corruption.

I was informed that the military action (tanks rolling down the streets that was reported on CNN ) is "localized" in the Government area. The area affected is the government buildings located quite a distance away [from our offices]. Both [employees] confirm that neighborhoods etc are fine and show no indications of protests or trouble.

[We] have shut down the office tonight (Bangkok time) and closed their night shift operations.

Expats and Staff plan to be back at work tomorrow AM barring unforseen events.

All [company] expats are being contacted and informed to be on alert.

I remember 9/11 when they told folks to go back to work after the first plane hit the tower stating that everything was under control. Yeah I am gonna trust government statements. NOT

Ike
9/22/2006, 10:50 AM
Take care Chuck. spread some democracy.

StoopTroup
9/22/2006, 11:30 AM
Corruption in Bangkok?

Say it ain't so...

proud gonzo
9/22/2006, 11:50 AM
isnt' LAS getting ready to go there or osmething?

Ike
9/22/2006, 11:50 AM
does anyone else think of this song when reading this thread?

Bangkok!
Oriental setting
And the city don't know what the city is getting
The créme de la créme of the chess world in a
Show with everything but Yul Brynner

Time flies doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tyrolean spa has the chess boys in it
All change dom't you know that when you
Play at this level there's no ordianry venue

It's Iceland or the Philippines or Hastings or this place

One night in Bangkok and the worlds's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One town is very like another
When you head's down over your pieces brother

Tea girls warm and sweet (warm sweet)
Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite
Get Thai'd you're talking to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest
I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok an the tough guys tumble
Can't bee to careful with your comapny
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Siam's gotta be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha

And thank god I'm only watching the game
Controlling it

I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch I would invite you
But the queens wee use would not excite you

So you'd better go back to your bars
your temples
your massage parlours

One night in Bangkok and the worlds's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh a little history
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok an the tough guys tumble
Can't bee to careful with your comapny
I can feel a devil walking next to me

Chuck Bao
9/22/2006, 04:38 PM
The military junta has asked for no political discussion on message boards, while it is trying to ban or restrict access to new websites denouncing the coup. Most of the locally-based webboards that I know aren’t taking any chances and have suspended the reply or new thread buttons.

This article is from the Nation website. It should be in tomorrow’s newspaper.

My own guess is that there were about a 1,000 people at the pro-democracy protest, but it was hard to tell who were just passing through and who were there for the protest.

It was peaceful and lasted only about an hour. I don't like the fact that police videotaped it, though. And hopefully you won’t see me get greased, jaux.

These are a few of my pics to go along with the story.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/don5C27tcallitreformresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/notodictatorshipresized.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/restoredemocracyresized.jpg

Public stages its first protest

Nearly 100 people staged the first civilian protest against the coup last night, calling it illegitimate and a violation of Thai democracy.

The protesters in front of Bangkok's Siam Centre included university students, lecturers and social activists. All wore black to mourn the death of democracy and condemned the coup as counter-productive.

The demonstrators urged the public to resist the new military regime and vowed to continue their fight until democracy was restored. They called on people who opposed the coup to wear black or carry black banners.

"We believe that a military coup is not the answer," said Giles Ungphakorn, a well-known political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.

He said the 1997 Constitution should be restored along with press freedom and freedom of assembly.

Giles said the coup had annihilated the rights and liberty of Thais. When asked if he was speaking for the majority of Thais, he said: "We believe we speak for a significant number of Thais who are too worried or too afraid to speak."

Protesters held small banners which read "No to Thaksin. No to coup", "Don't call it reform - it's a coup" and "No to martial law". One small poster depicted the Democracy Monument with a text in English reading "On vacation again".

Nonetheless, all protesters denied backing ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The protest attracted several bystanders and around 100 Thai and foreign journalists. Nobody was arrested.

Colonel Manit Wongsomboon, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Division 6, said police had recorded the protest on video and would examine the tape to see if protesters had broken martial law forbidding an assembly of more than five people for political purposes.

Meanwhile, a website has been set up to collect signatures demanding that the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM) should not arrest or harm protesters who planned to express their disagreement with the coup.

The online petition, www.petitiononline.com/thaicoup/petition.html, was the initiative of Thongchai Winichakul, a professor of history at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the United States. He declared that all the signatories regretted the September 19 coup and hoped that democracy would be restored as soon as possible.

The petition also urged the CDRM to respect freedom of expression, a basic human right, by allowing those who disagreed with the coup to express their opinions in the media, on websites and at public gatherings.

More than 400 people from various countries have signed the petition.

In England, a group of postgraduate Thai students at Oxford University called the Oxford Initiative said it planned to issue a statement to express disagreement with the coup. It hopes the CDRM will return civilian rule to Thailand as soon as possible.

However, the statement does not necessarily reflect the opinion of all Thai students at Oxford, said one of the group leaders.

Mongo
9/22/2006, 04:41 PM
What is the major language spoken there? All most of the signs are in Engrish.

Stay safe.

C&CDean
9/22/2006, 04:45 PM
This is undoubtedly the reason why my pad thai at the Padthai was cold yesterday. The red curry chicken was great, the chili paste pork was great, the mixed veggies were great, but the pad thai tasted like last weeks, and it was barely room temp.

And I gotta ask, who's the emperor dude in the pic they have where they set a plate of grub, a glass of wine/saki, and the incense sticks in front of every day? Go there when they first open, and you can see them do their "bless the holy dude" thing. It's interesting.

Chuck Bao
9/22/2006, 04:49 PM
Mongo, there were signs in both Thai and English.

I think the idea is to get the word out to foreign press and get foreign support to put pressure on the coup makers.

It isn't as likely for local TV or newspapers to carry the story. Kudos to the Nation newspaper for doing so.

Chuck Bao
9/22/2006, 04:53 PM
Dean, that must be King Chulalongkorn, the most revered of Thai kings. He did a lot of things to advance the kingdom and help his people, including the freeing of slaves.

I've got my own shrine to him in my home. I put out cigars and whiskey and burn incense occasionally.

C&CDean
9/22/2006, 04:58 PM
Dean, that must be King Chulalongkorn, the most revered of Thai kings. He did a lot of things to advance the kingdom and help his people, including the freeing of slaves.

I've got my own shrine to him in my home. I put out cigars and whiskey and burn incense occasionally.

Cool. Next time I'm in, I'll ask waiter dude. So he's dead now? And y'all still worship him? They don't move on to the next emperor like the Japanese?

Jerk
9/22/2006, 05:01 PM
Go out in the streets with an AK-47, hold it over your head with one hand, and scream Wolverines!!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/wavetank74/red_dawn-yeller.jpg

Widescreen
9/23/2006, 01:14 AM
Jack can talk Thai. Jack talk Thai very well.

KaiserSooner
9/23/2006, 10:04 AM
Chuck, what changes or reforms was Thaksin proposing/pursuing that threatened the Bangkok elite/bureuacracy?

Just trying to figure out why the king would give the thumbs up to a coup.

Chuck Bao
9/23/2006, 01:34 PM
Chuck, what changes or reforms was Thaksin proposing/pursuing that threatened the Bangkok elite/bureuacracy?

Just trying to figure out why the king would give the thumbs up to a coup.

There are many, many factors and many differing opinions. And, my opinion is just that and a minority view that probably isn’t shared by the overseas press.

Basically, Thaksin’s CEO-style of government rubbed many the wrong way. On a many important policy decisions, he bypassed the bureaucracy and the government ministries. Instead, he did those provincial town hall meetings with provincial officials. Okay, a lot of that was just PR stuff, but the traditional centrist bureaucrats, who have always enjoyed their own little fiefdoms, hated that.

They also hated his populist measures benefiting rural folks. But, if you consider all of Thaksin’s mass transit projects planned for Bangkok, Bangkokians wouldn’t be short changed.

Personally, I like a take-charge prime minister and pro-active government. The pendulum will swing the other way now. Pity that.