PDA

View Full Version : OU vs. Middle Tenn St numbers

mrowl
9/19/2006, 10:06 AM
On to the game...

I have some worries... I know that MTSU hasn't played much of anyone... But, this troubles me.

Total Defense rankings:

MTSU: 11th
OU: 97th

And they scored 44 last weekend for Tenn Tech, with 301 total yards of offense, and 174 on the ground.

I see OU still winning this game, but still allowing at least 250 of offense, and maybe 20 points.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/19/2006, 10:09 AM
I dont remember such horrible defensive numbers for any OU team

Then again, I have selective memory

sooneron
9/19/2006, 10:21 AM
What's the word on Cooper?

GoMTBlue
9/19/2006, 10:44 AM
Do worry. Just overlook us. :)

Actually our D has been a surprise. We had a good D last year, but we lost some key starters.

Our new D coordinator was on the N.C. State staff. He seems to be doing a good job.

We have played Maryland and lost, 24-10. Turnovers killed us. Maryland constanly had a short field.

As far as the 44 points go, don't worry. Our offense has been very sluggish, except for that 2nd half burst of 41 points against a D-1aa team.

With that said, our players always seem to get up for these "money" games and they usually play very well.

JohnnyMack
9/19/2006, 10:47 AM
With that said, our referees always seem to get up for these "money" games and they usually play very well.

That's what worries us.

:O

sooneron
9/19/2006, 10:58 AM
I posted this in the moving on thread, but I guess I should put it in the "Numbers" thread.

I would like to see us hold them to 200-250 yards and less than 10 points. That's what I want. I think we go vanilla and pound them as much as possible after PT softens them up with some throws on first down. We won't score more than 35 points as we will be playing eat the clock.

Oh, and I think we get a ST or Def TD.

GoMTBlue
9/19/2006, 11:05 AM
That's what worries us.

:O

Nope, we never get the benefits of the refs. Heck, in 2002 we were down by 5 to Bama late in the 4th. On a critical 3rd down play they called defensive holding on #58 the nose tackle for Middle Tennessee, who happened to be sitting at home in Murfreesboro watching the game on TV.

The call was supposed to be on Bama's center. Instead of creating 4th down, it gave Bama a 1st down and secured the 5 point victory.

westcoast_sooner
9/19/2006, 11:36 AM
Never underestimate ANY opponent. I'm hoping our D plays with a chip on their shoulder, goes out and HITS someone.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 11:41 AM
Never underestimate ANY opponent. I'm hoping our D plays with a chip on their shoulder, goes out and HITS someone.

I thought they would do that after UAB and Washington.

hopefully its one of those deals where the defense is slowly adding in new stuff (like every season), and they will get better.

ADs_Agent
9/19/2006, 11:55 AM
Nope, we never get the benefits of the refs. Heck, in 2002 we were down by 5 to Bama late in the 4th. On a critical 3rd down play they called defensive holding on #58 the nose tackle for Middle Tennessee, who happened to be sitting at home in Murfreesboro watching the game on TV.

The call was supposed to be on Bama's center. Instead of creating 4th down, it gave Bama a 1st down and secured the 5 point victory.

that sucks, the noseguard has to be thinking, "Was I holding my soda unethically?"

Bourbon St Sooner
9/19/2006, 12:19 PM

Yeah, well if we don't get some home cookin' this weekend we're really gonna be ****ed.

Dan Thompson
9/19/2006, 01:26 PM
If a team ever wanted to prove something, this is one of those times. I think the team must be as mad as the rest of us and needs to prove how good they really are.

I just wish our D would jell and show everyone just how good they can be.

southern sooner
9/19/2006, 01:31 PM
We need to play with the pep in our step and a nice cocky attitude on D would be nice to see.

soonermax
9/19/2006, 01:43 PM
Does any one know where I can watch the OU vs MTSU game in houston texas. The OU club normally has it a Jillians, but they are not showing it because of PPV. I heard that there is a sports bar in Midtown that will be showing it. Any idea?

sjt
9/19/2006, 02:10 PM
I live in Franklin,TN about 20 miles from MTSU and I don't think they are televising the game here. Maybe one of the local channels will pick it up.

Blue_Raider_11
9/19/2006, 02:13 PM
Hello Sooner Fans!

This might be my only post EVER on this website. But good luck to OU this weekend, I don't like them and never have. But I don't have any dilusions of MTSU pulling the upset in this one. I was pretty happy with our 24-10 loss to Maryland, so holding OU to 35 points would be fantastic. I'm not sure if MTSU will score at all. the 44-0 against Tennessee Tech was really not that great, our Offense has been terrible this season, we only put up 3 points on Tech in the first half before their I-AA depth gave out in the second half. 7 points against Florida International... I'd like to see them with 2 TD's against OU, but that would be like the best christmas present ever.

Then again, we've played the big schools pretty close...

Final Prediction... OU 41 - MTSU 3

soonermax
9/19/2006, 02:36 PM
I live in Franklin,TN about 20 miles from MTSU and I don't think they are televising the game here. Maybe one of the local channels will pick it up.

Why would y'all want to watch the game that will called " Massacare Saturday". After the crap that was done to us, you can only imagine what will happen to your team. we will be fired up, p****ed off, and ready to prove the nation that we aren't going to let this get us down.

OU-44
MSTU-3

Jimminy Crimson
9/19/2006, 02:52 PM
I don't like them and never have.

Care to explain? :rolleyes:

GoMTBlue
9/19/2006, 02:52 PM
http://blueraiderzone.com/mygallery/clickgallery/users/50/refhorseass151.jpg

ADs_Agent
9/19/2006, 02:54 PM
LOL!!

GoMTBlue
9/19/2006, 03:25 PM
September 19, 2006
Weekly press conference held at Bluesboro
Stockstill and Jenkins respond after second home win
MT Media Relations Related Content
· Press Conference Video

Sophomore defensive lineman Trevor Jenkins has tallied four tackles for loss on the season. (MT)

Head Coach Rick Stockstill

Opening statement: "We had a good win last week. We are looking forward to going to Oklahoma and I know our players are excited about going there."

How do you stop Adrian Peterson? "I don't know if anyone has ever stopped him. He's a great back. I think he's the best back in the country. He has great speed, power, is a physical runner. He's dangerous in the kicking game. To stop him, control him, contain him, you have to get a lot of people around the ball. I don't see one guy bringing down. We have to get people to the ball."

Do you think you are playing Oklahoma at an awkward time after the manner in which they lost (to Oregon) last week? "I think it is tough going there whenever. Everybody is making a big deal of that but it's Oklahoma. They are going to be excited to play football. Everybody is talking about what happened at (Oregon) but I know they will be ready to play and we will get a great effort. They have aspirations of a national championship. They can't afford another loss. They have to get back in the national championship hunt and we will get a great effort from them, as well as the remaining teams on their schedule."

What is the key to your defense controlling Oklahoma's offense? "It starts with our offense. They can't score if they are on the sideline. It's imperative that we have drives and sustain drives with scores. We can't get down there and kick field goals. We have to score touchdowns when we have the opportunity. If we have a bunch of three-and-outs it is going to be a long day for the defense."

How do you prepare for the crowd noise there? "We piped in some crowd noise during our practices and that helps. When we are on the practice field we are having our quarterback whisper in the huddle so you have to read lips as opposed to hearing and really pay attention. Defense is mostly signals anyway without a lot of huddle communication so I don't know that it affects them as much."

How much progress was made in the Tennessee Tech win? "Against Tennessee Tech our defense was much better. We tackled better. I don't care who you are playing when you get a shutout in college football you have played good defensive football that day. We got turnovers, we created problems. Offensively, we didn't play real well in the first half, but the second half we played better. We didn't have as many missed assignments in the second half and the defense put us on a short field, too, so that helped."

Thoughts on instant replay? "I like the replay system. I think it's good. I am for getting the right call made. I think they do a good job. As far as kinks, it's the first year we have had replay in the Sun Belt Conference so there will be things to improve but I think it's good for college football."

DT Trevor Jenkins

How do you plan on stopping Adrian Peterson? "Adrian Peterson is a great runner, a talented runner. He's a Heisman Trophy candidate and he should be, but he also has a great offensive line. If we can get past the offensive line then we get to him. That's the way I look at it."

On facing Oklahoma this weekend: "It's a must win for them. They still want to win a national championship and they can, but they can't afford another loss. We know we are going to face a very, very good Oklahoma team. No matter what happened last week (against Oregon) they will put that behind them and move on because that's what you have to do. As far as us, it's another opportunity to play football. That's my approach. It's no different from any game we have played."

What has the crowd noise being piped into the stadium been like at practice? "It's annoying but it's great preparation. It's a challenge, it's been a little difficult and that's what we need. It helps in that you have to focus more on getting the calls and communicating. Like coach Stock said, the defense is mainly signals but we still have to communicate and get the calls. It's been productive."

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 03:56 PM

Didn't your university president write the SEC a nasty letter !?!

PS I LOVE David Boren.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 03:59 PM
I like what their coach has to say. Good coachspeak.