PDA

View Full Version : Should the NCAA Have the Power to Nullify Outcomes? (LONG)

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 05:38 AM
This is an article I wrote for my site....if you wish to know the site, then PM me. I will not broadcast it on this site, in respect to the rules.

Should the NCAA Have the Power to Nullify Outcomes?

Now, by the title of this article, you may be sitting there wondering what I mean. So let me explain. Under extreme circumstances, should the NCAA have the power or right to nullify an outcome of a game or match if it is deemed appropriate?

This past Saturday a few college football games had controversial endings. Controversy is always going to occur in any sport or competition, and I understand this. However, this past Saturday a game was decided because of the officiating crew and the replay officials.

If the NCAA is going to allow instant replay in college football, they should make sure their replay officials are capable of handling their responsibilities and understand the rules of the game.

Take a moment and read the rules for free kicks (kick-offs).

The NCAA Rules and Bylaws state:

Rule 6 Section 1
Restraining Lines
ARTICLE 1. For any free kick formation, the kicking team’s restraining line shall be the yard line through the most forward point from which the ball shall be kicked, and the receiving team’s restraining line shall be the yard line 10 yards beyond that point. Unless relocated by a penalty, the kicking team’s restraining line on a kickoff shall be its 35-yard line, and for a free kick after a safety, its 20-yard line.

Rule 6 Section 1
Free Kick Recovery
ARTICLE 3. A Team A player may touch a free-kicked ball:
a. After it touches a Team B player (Exception: Rule 6-1-4).
b. After it breaks the plane of and remains beyond Team B ’s restraining
line (Exception: Rule 6-4-1)(A.R.2-11-2-I).
c. After it touches any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond
Team B ’s restraining line.
Thereafter, all players of Team A become eligible to touch, recover or catch the kick. Illegal touching of a free kick is a violation that, when the ball becomes dead, gives the receiving team the privilege of taking the ball at the spot of the violation. However, if there are offsetting fouls or if a penalty incurred by either team before the ball becomes dead is enforced,
this privilege is canceled (A.R.6-1-3-I).

Turn the clock back to Saturday afternoon during the last 1:12 of the Oregon/Oklahoma game.

This was a very good game. I enjoyed it tremendously. However, with Oklahoma winning (and yes, as many of you know, I am an Oklahoma Sooner Fan) 33-27, Oregon attempts an onside kick. During this onside kick an Oregon player touched the ball before it traveled the 10 yards required, creating an illegal touch penalty (but there was no penalty called). Oklahoma actually recovered the ball. Yet, somehow Oregon gets the ball, and goes on to win the game 34-33.

Now, I am not the smartest person in the world. But given a high definition T.V. and unlimited time to replay this one single play, I could have made the correct call, giving the ball to Oklahoma at the spot of the illegal touch (the 44.5 yard line). In fact, I made what should have been the correct call after the second replay of that play. Yet, these paid and "trained" officials couldn’t until Monday?

Now lets fast forward just two plays later to second down and 10. There was a penalty called, Pass Interference. Because of this penalty, Oregon got an automatic first down. But, just wait. The replay official was called on yet again. This time to see if there was an actual penalty.

Now, I again, I am not a brain surgeon. But Dennis Dixon (QB for Oregon) isn’t that bad of a passer. His passes usually don’t go from a tight spiral to a lame duck (no pun intended Oregon fans) without something obstructing that pass.

Back to the penalty. In order for Defensive Pass Interference to occur, the defender basically needs to be grabbing the offensive receiver while the ball is in flight, as long as the pass hasn’t been deflected or touched by another player first. In other words, if the ball gets tipped, the defender can then mug the wide receiver even if the ball is still in the air.

Two questions come to my mind on this play. 1. Where was the pass interference, since the defender never touched the receiver until the ball was touched? 2. How can you have pass interference when the ball was tipped by #99 C.J. Ah You of Oklahoma at the Line of Scrimmage? Yet again, the replay official could not see this in his replay. However, all of America at home watching the game was able to see the ball being tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Now granted, it would have been third down and ten and Oregon could have gone on to score. But we go back to that onside kick. Because if the correct call would have been made on that play, OU would have gotten the ball, and ran the clock out, resulting in a 33-27 win for Oklahoma, not the 34-33 loss.

So my question is. Since Oklahoma should have gotten the ball at the 44.5 yard line because of that illegal touching on the kickoff, should the NCAA step in and nullify this game. Meaning erase the game entirely from the record books?

No, they won’t. reason being, they do not have that authority. But should they? I say yes. Under extreme circumstances, which I believe occurred this past Saturday, the NCAA should have the right and the authority to nullify a games result when it is so blatantly obvious the outcome should have been completely different, or if the outcome was due directly to inept officiating.

But instead, the game officials and the replay officials will only receive a one game suspension, which is not adequate in my opinion. Oklahoma in the meantime receives an apology from the PAC-10 commissioner Tom Hansen, nothing more.

On September 16th, 2006, a very hard fought game between two good teams was decided by the referees. Oklahoma getting the bad end of the stick. While Oregon benefited and won a game, that in all honesty, they should not have won.

Note: For the complete NCAA Football Rulebook go here. (.PDF FILE)

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2006/2006_football_rules.pdf

mrowl
9/19/2006, 05:52 AM
no.

ouflak
9/19/2006, 05:58 AM
No.

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:00 AM
no.

Why not?

I think the NCAA should have that power, at least upon an extensive investigation to overturn or correct a wrong by an officiating crew that directly affected the outcome of the game.

Why? Because now, OU's chances of making it to their 3rd NCG in the last 4 years is slim to none thanks to the refs and replay officials.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 06:02 AM
do you really want to turn the great game of football into a court battle everytime an owner or president is ****ed that they lost?

no.

ouflak
9/19/2006, 06:09 AM
Why not?

I think the NCAA should have that power, at least upon an extensive investigation to overturn or correct a wrong by an officiating crew that directly affected the outcome of the game.

Why? Because now, OU's chances of making it to their 3rd NCG in the last 4 years is slim to none thanks to the refs and replay officials.

That is not a valid reason. A valid reason would be if they were cheating. This is much more difficult to prove.

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:12 AM
That is not a valid reason. A valid reason would be if they were cheating. This is much more difficult to prove.

Much more difficult to prove?

How much more does a person need to see something was up with this officiating crew that last 72 seconds of the game?

I am not saying to switch the outcome to show OU won, but to nullify the game...where neither team won.....meaning both Oregon and OU would still be 2-0.

instead, the hopes and goals of one team remain, and the other is dashed.

Officials need to be held accountable too...and nullifying a game could make it that way...especially when it comes to the officiating.....

I know a one game suspension darn sure isnt holding them accountable!

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:14 AM
do you really want to turn the great game of football into a court battle everytime an owner or president is ****ed that they lost?

no.

Who says court?

I am simply saying if there are extreme circumstances, and it is found that the officials were blatant in their calls, as seems the case last saturday....the NCAA should have the power to nullify a game from the record books.

Sooner-N-KS
9/19/2006, 06:19 AM
Yes. This is a clear cut case that the officials refused to do their jobs. Nobody doubts that OU could run out the clock and finish the game. When it is 100% clear that the system broke to the point where you shouldn't expect a team to play under those conditions it should be overturned.....or at least nullify as if the game wasn't played.

Oklahoma should be able to expect the game to be fairly and competantly officiated. In two of our last 6 games this hasn't been the case.

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:25 AM
Yes. This is a clear cut case that the officials refused to do their jobs. Nobody doubts that OU could run out the clock and finish the game. When it is 100% clear that the system broke to the point where you shouldn't expect a team to play under those conditions it should be overturned.....or at least nullify as if the game wasn't played.

Oklahoma should be able to expect the game to be fairly and competantly officiated. In two of our last 6 games this hasn't been the case.

I agree.

Hesston, KS....I have a brother in McPherson.

Sooner-N-KS
9/19/2006, 06:30 AM
I agree.

Hesston, KS....I have a brother in McPherson.

Well I grew up near Ponca in Lamont. :)

Sooner-N-KS
9/19/2006, 06:36 AM
Well, it seems even more like the PAC 10 failed in giving OU a fair shot at this game.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1158639907304430.xml&coll=7&thispage=1
A source in the replay booth on Saturday said that Riese found himself crunched for time, pressured by television and the on-field referee for a rapid decision, and there was such a delay in getting the video feed to Riese that he never even got to properly review the play.

He admits he didn't have everything he should have, and he said he knew immediately after he made the call it was wrong.

What's wrong with the PAC 10? Maybe it wasn't the replay official's fault, even though he knew he was making the wrong call. The PAC 10 is trying to deflect attention on itself by suspending the officials. But now it appears the PAC 10's system was broken. Why was everyone in the country watching the game able to see the video, but the replay official didn't have access? If they couldn't get the video to him, why couldn't he turn on a TV with a DVR?

OU was playing in an unfair playing environment, and the game should be overturned.

mrowl
9/19/2006, 06:43 AM
Who says court?

I am simply saying if there are extreme circumstances, and it is found that the officials were blatant in their calls, as seems the case last saturday....the NCAA should have the power to nullify a game from the record books.

so when the NCAA makes a decision that someone doesn't like. You have now opened the doors to a lawsuit.

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 06:43 AM
Nullify for officials' incompetence? NO.
No. No. No.

no

Nullify only in most egregious case of a "fix" such as bribery, and even then only if there is clear and convincing proof of corruption that affected the outcome.

Also - Can't the use of ineligible players result in a forfeit?

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:46 AM
so when the NCAA makes a decision that someone doesn't like. You have now opened the doors to a lawsuit.

Well, they make decisions every year that people dont like. So what is one more?

and read the last post by SoonerNKS.

And what is the difference?

The NCAA can strip a team of all their wins in a season for the use of an ineligible player....so why cant they nullify a game because there was such an extraordinary circumstance, such as inept officials, or unfair playing enviroments?

OU_Sooners75
9/19/2006, 06:48 AM
Nullify for officials' incompetence? NO.
No. No. No.

no

Nullify only in most egregious case of a "fix" such as bribery, and even then only if there is clear and convincing proof of corruption that affected the outcome.

Also - Can't the use of ineligible players result in a forfeit?

The only way they will find out if any game is fixed is if by some reason, they get told by a credible source.

I dont think or at least dont want to believe any ref or official will have an invested interest in any game.

Dio
9/19/2006, 07:43 AM
No, right or wrong - and Saturday it was most definitely wrong- the team that walks off the field the winner is the winner. Going back days or weeks later and changing the outcome for whatever reason, even a good one, will cheapen the game even worse than shoddy officiating.

mikeb
9/19/2006, 07:56 AM
yes and let me tell you why because it would not have to happen but a few times. They have replay so get it right or lose your job period..

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 08:33 AM
The only way they will find out if any game is fixed is if by some reason, they get told by a credible source.

I dont think or at least dont want to believe any ref or official will have an invested interest in any game.
Right, so basically the outcome of a game should almost never be nullified. I'm cool with that.

This whole Oregon deal is now OVER, as far as I'm concerned.

TexasLidig8r
9/19/2006, 08:52 AM

The fact that OU has the 97th ranked defense amongst NCAA D1 teams weighed heavily against a trip to the NCG...and if there are 3 undefeated teams left at the end of the year and OU is one of them.. OU would have been left out because of the perceived weakness of the Big XII this year and because of OU's last performance in the national championship game.

So, you suggest the NCAA should completely overlook the last 1:12 of the game and award it to OU? Hypothetically speaking if the onside kick had been called correctly, is there a 100% chance that OU would not have fumbled the ball and turned it over to Oregon? Quirky things happen in football every week.

Are you suggesting that the NCAA should overlook the fact that the OU defense let the Oregon offense march almost unimpeded down the field or that your defensive back got beat by about 5 yards on the last touchdown pass? Are you suggesting that the NCAA should ignore the fact that despite the horrendous play calling, OU still had TWO CHANCES to win the game, (1) by stopping Oregon who still had to go 52 yards to score the go ahead touchdown; and (2) by kicking a game winning field goal at the end of the game?

Your analogy about the NCAA taking away games is comparing apples to turnips. When the NCAA mandates forfeiture of games, it is due to a knowing violation of NCAA rules by student athletes of that institution and more likely than not, knowledge of those violations by the institution itself. Here you have Pac 10 officials, appointed NOT by Oregon, but by the Pac 10.

soonerlaw
9/19/2006, 09:15 AM
Hypothetically speaking if the onside kick had been called correctly, is there a 100% chance that OU would not have fumbled the ball and turned it over to Oregon? Quirky things happen in football every week.

I agree. As hard as people try, it is impossible to predict the outcome of future events. And as likely as it was that OU would run out the clock with a knee, it is not certain. At the very most, they could make them play the entire game again.. which would also never happend. The most they can do (and basically what Boren wants them to do) is to admit they made a mistake, and take preventative measures to hopefully prevent it in the future.