PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Riese, replay official, was a line judge in '82 Cal-Stanford game

SoonerGX
9/19/2006, 12:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pl

A little bit of info on Gordon Riese who was the replay official during the OU vs. Oregon game was also involved in the controversial game between the California Bears and Stanford Cardinal in 1982. You know the game where the ball was pitched around about 20 times where a guy's knee was down and where the ball was actually pitched forward. It is known as "The Play" and Gordon Riese was the line judge.

Here is an excerpt from the link provided above.

It is difficult to conclusively determine anything from the footage. The game officials, however, ruled that all five of the laterals were legal; the flags, according to referee Charles Moffett, were, in fact, on Stanford for having too many men on the field. Moreover, even if Moen had not scored, the officials, per NCAA rules, could have awarded Cal with the touchdown on the basis of the band's interference.

Moffett recalls "The Play": "I called all the officials together and there were some pale faces. The penalty flags were against Stanford for coming onto the field. I say, 'did anybody blow a whistle?' They say 'no'. I say, 'were all the laterals legal'? 'Yes'. Then the line judge, Gordon Riese, says to me, 'Charlie, the guy scored on that.' And I said, 'What?' I had no idea the guy had scored. Actually when I heard that I was kind of relieved. I thought we really would have had a problem if they hadn't scored, because, by the rules, we could have awarded a touchdown (to Cal) for (Stanford) players coming onto the field. I didn't want to have to make that call."

"I wasn't nervous at all when I stepped out to make the call; maybe I was too dumb. Gee, it seems like it was yesterday. Anyway, when I stepped out of the crowd, there was dead silence in the place. Then when I raised my arms, I thought I had started World War III. It was like an atomic bomb had gone off."

Readyfor8
9/19/2006, 12:58 AM
Wow so he learned more than 20+ years ago that you don't make a bad call against the home team. Interesting.

Ash
9/19/2006, 06:19 AM
It would have been better only if he was part of the "fifth down."

:twinkies: