PDA

View Full Version : Whoa ... let's get some perspective

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 11:23 PM
I doubt anyone on this board is responsible, but this **** has got to stop ...

Replay Official Gets Death Threat
By WILLIAM McCALL, Associated Press Writer
Monday, September 18, 2006

The instant replay official whose failure to overturn a bad call led to a narrow victory for Oregon over Oklahoma said he feels like he is under siege after receiving menacing phone calls and a death threat.

Gordon Riese said he would make a decision soon about whether to finish the season, or even whether to return next year.

"I'm struggling with it," Riese said in an interview at his home. "I feel so bad I missed that call, it's driving me crazy."

A former college baseball pitcher in the 1960s who was inducted into the Portland State Hall of Fame in 1997, Riese said he never played football but always enjoyed the game during 28 years as a Pacific-10 Conference official.

"I loved it, I absolutely loved it," Riese said.

But that was before he became an instant replay official.

"I've felt much, much more pressure as an instant replay official than I ever did on the field," Riese said.

He said the equipment is not as sophisticated as NFL replay equipment, and does not allow the official to freeze the frame. But Riese lays the blame on himself after replays showed that an onside kick was touched by an Oregon player before it traveled the required 10 yards. The Ducks went on to score the go-ahead touchdown.

"I can't sleep, I can't eat, my blood pressure is skyrocketing," Riese said, looking haggard and worn as he sat on the front porch of his house.

His wife is a registered nurse, and has been checking his blood pressure every four hours, he said.

Riese said he has stopped answering the phone, and police are investigating the threatening calls while keeping an eye on his neighborhood.

"They not only threatened me, they threatened my wife and kids," Riese said.

Riese has endured plenty of physical pain in his career. He said a torn rotator cuff ended his pitching days, all the ligaments in his right knee were torn when he was hit by an Oregon defensive back at Autzen Stadium in a 1984 game against Washington State, and he separated a collarbone when he was run over by opposing linemen trying to block each other in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl.

The knee and the collarbone still bother him, occasionally, he said. But not as much as his ruling from the booth last Saturday.

"I don't know how to deal with it," he said. "I guess it's just one of those things."

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 11:24 PM
Dean Nip

QUACK! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78444)

PrideTrombone
9/18/2006, 11:26 PM
Death threats and harassing the guy is unnecessary, childish, and retarded.

That said, I hope he loses a lot of sleep for being such a dumbass.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 11:27 PM
I hope he has that insurance for when he gets injured by Dean.

JethroDean
9/18/2006, 11:29 PM
I hope he has that insurance for when he gets injured by Dean.

Do you really think Dean might bite him ????

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 11:29 PM
AFLAC!
http://www.oddculture.com/ba/images/aflac.jpg

TheLadiesMike
9/18/2006, 11:30 PM
I don't think he deserves this treatment.

"I feel so bad I missed that call, it's driving me crazy." ~ replay official

"They had an opportunity to get it right and they chose not to." ~ Stoops

Jewstin
9/18/2006, 11:32 PM
I'm not going to say I have any sympathy for the guy for missing the call ... especially now that there is something brewing with the claim that he never even saw the replay and lied about it ... we'll see how that turns out.

But threatening the guy or his way of life, no matter if it was a mistake or a lie, is absolutely unnecessary.

This is still just FOOTBALL.

SoonerBorn68
9/18/2006, 11:33 PM
I'll repeat what I said in another thread...A #1 crap for the death threats or physical harm to his family.

The dude admitted he blew the call. A-D-M-I-T-T-E-D. If he can't sleep, has high blood pressure, or starts crapping blood because of it, it's of his own doing. Live with it *******! We all make mistakes but this one was so obvious!

Duckwriter, I've read your posts. I understand your position but, c'mon...If you can't admit this game was gift wrapped for your Ducks, you're dilusional.

The Maestro
9/18/2006, 11:35 PM
MRNOT ALREADY POSTED!!!!

DarrellZero
Sad and unacceptable.

SelmaBamaFan
This is still just FOOTBALL.

:eek:

Them's crazy talk son!

JethroDean
Threatening life is out of perspective, not appropriate ccc

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 11:36 PM
I thought PAC-10 officals were not allowed to give interviews about the calls which he is quoted talking about in this article. I assume that is a fireable offense?

Texas Golfer
9/18/2006, 11:37 PM
Death threats are definitely unwarranted. That is too much.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 11:37 PM
This is like catching the one armed killer.

I mean....this is THE ref that makes bad calls.

Oh Happy Day.......when bad calls went away.....

Jewstin
9/18/2006, 11:38 PM
:eek:

Them's crazy talk son!

You know, I reviewed what I wrote ...

And after doing so, I determined there wasn't indisputable video evidence to prove I ever wrote it in the first place.

You knew it was comin'!

sanantoniosooner
Death threats are definitely unwarranted. That is too much.

Golfer draws the line at stalking and intimidation......:D

JethroDean
This is like catching the one armed killer.

I mean....this is THE ref that makes bad calls.

Oh Happy Day.......when bad calls went away.....

the poor sas, i mean sob....

Funky G
9/18/2006, 11:39 PM
After reviewing the messages there is not indisputable evidence to overturn the accusations at threats or related. First Down!!

Jewstin
9/18/2006, 11:41 PM
You know, I was half expecting the referee making the call on the field to scream, "GO DUCKS" after he emphatically indicated they had possession of the ball.

"There is indisputable video evidence that DUCKS RULES AND SOONERS DROOL! TOUCHDOWN OREGON!"

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2006, 11:46 PM
I bet it was the threat uncle made this morning when he left a message for him saying he knew where he lived...it was funny

BajaOklahoma
9/19/2006, 12:39 AM
By Sunday morning, I had received 6 emails with the guy's name and phone number.
I didn't forward them on.
I didn't call the TTU guy at home or work, so I won't call this guy either. And family is always off limits. Period.

TopDawg
9/19/2006, 12:41 AM
note to self: don't **** off BajaOklahoma's friends

JethroDean
9/19/2006, 12:42 AM
By Sunday morning, I had received 6 emails with the guy's name and phone number.
I didn't forward them on.
I didn't call the TTU guy at home or work, so I won't call this guy either. And family is always off limits. Period.

proper priorities and action/inaction....

Duckwriter
9/19/2006, 01:04 AM
Saw on another thread here that Canzano (Oregon sportswriter) might be revealing in a column tomorrow that the officials never looked at the replay ... so the article I posted to start this thread might turn out to be crap. Actually, I hope it is ... I'd like to think no football fan would take it that far.

Then again, Canzano might just be trying to drive up sales for tomorrow's paper ...

rainiersooner
9/19/2006, 02:17 AM
what about his comment that they don't have the technology to freeze frame???!!! If that's true...are you kidding me? What does that cost? $50? $100? Does someone at the PAC-10 or NCAA want to take care of that? How can you have video replay without freeze frame? I wanted to think of a witty analogy, but it's so pathetic that I can't.

yermom
9/19/2006, 02:31 AM
um, TiVo

i'm sure they would love to sponsor NCAA Instant Replay :)

yermom
9/19/2006, 02:32 AM
i don't understand why the officials don't have access to better stuff than the commentators do... or at least the same stuff

Jewstin
9/19/2006, 02:37 AM
There's another thread on here that has a detailed listing of the procedures they follow and the type of equipment they have ...

Their equipment IS powered by TiVo and it goes above and beyond what anyone could ever need to make the right call. They even have access to what the broadcaster's say and show.

rhombic21
9/19/2006, 02:38 AM
Anybody who makes a threat on an official's life because of a bad call should be sterilized and deported. Just classless.

yermom
9/19/2006, 02:44 AM
There's another thread on here that has a detailed listing of the procedures they follow and the type of equipment they have ...

Their equipment IS powered by TiVo and it goes above and beyond what anyone could ever need to make the right call. They even have access to what the broadcaster's say and show.

ok, then they are idiots ;)

but sadly, even idiots deserve to live :les:

olevetonahill
9/19/2006, 02:51 AM
Anybody who makes a threat on an official's life because of a bad call should be sterilized and deported. Just classless.
Ive already had a vasectomy , now just how big a ole boy are you ?
Are you saying you can run me out of the country ? :P

ouflak
9/19/2006, 02:55 AM
Oklahomans take their football far more seriously than anybody in Oregon ever will. That's not by any means necessarily a good thing however.

leavingthezoo
9/19/2006, 02:58 AM
but sadly, even idiots deserve to live :les:

as you've proven. :D

oops. i mean... :pop:

TUSooner
9/19/2006, 06:49 AM
sick
<shakes head>

We go from "righteous sufferers" to "dangerous, fanatical, idiot cry-babies" in an instant.
F'ing scheisskopf who did that !!!

sanantoniosooner
9/19/2006, 06:52 AM
I promise I haven't made death threats..........to that guy.

AlbqSooner
9/19/2006, 07:11 AM
By suggesting that there was a death threat or similar scenario, this media tool has deflected the righteous indignation of Sooner fans, and fans of football into UNrighteous indignation. Now the debate centers about taking football too seriously and is no longer shining the probing light of truth onto the inquiry of this grave injustice done to a football team and its fans.

This was a tactic used often by J. Edgar Hoover and his henchman during the tumultuous '60s. Totally discredit the critics and you defuse any support they may be receiving from the general populous.

No one knows the source of the threat. Most do not even know if the threat was actually made. But to even mention that such happened discredits ALL of the critics as a bunch of rabid hate mongers who have no perspective on life.

I call bullshift!

Penguin
9/19/2006, 08:29 AM
Disgusting.

So much for hoping that all our fans would take the high road.