PDA

View Full Version : takin a day trip tomorrow

Ike
9/18/2006, 11:18 PM
So a friend of mine, who was a grad student at OU when I started, is now a physics professor at Marquette. He has invited me to give a colloquium at their physics department tomorrow afternoon. So I'm gonna go up there and learn em all some particle physics...and then go watch the Brewers. :D

I've given talks before, but they've always been to other particle physicists. Marquette as far as I can tell isn't really involved in any particle physics research, so I've tried as best I can to make more of a general physics talk, removing, or explaining as much of the jargon as I can in the course of a one hour talk. I just hope I'm as sucessful at it as I think I have been.

Anyway, thats not my real concern. My real concern is that given that Marquette is a Jesuit university, and in light of recent events vis a vis the Pope and the a-rabs, should I take a flak jacket? ;)

critical_phil
9/18/2006, 11:52 PM
everytime i read an Ike thread, i imagine that Jimmy Neutron is on the other side of the internet tubes.. is it just me?

http://marketingplaybook.com/jimmy.jpg

OCUDad
9/18/2006, 11:58 PM
Jimmy Neutron is better looking.

Ike, have fun at Miller Park.

Ike
9/19/2006, 12:00 AM
thanks for the new avvie phil :D

skycat
9/19/2006, 12:09 AM
Jimmy Neutron could build stuff. Which clearly means he's an engineer. ;)

PhilTLL
9/19/2006, 12:18 AM
He was a daaaaaaay tripper, a one-way ticket yeah...

proud gonzo
9/19/2006, 12:24 AM
Got a good reason for taking the easy way out

Okla-homey
9/19/2006, 05:05 AM
I've given talks before, but they've always been to other particle physicists. Marquette as far as I can tell isn't really involved in any particle physics research, so I've tried as best I can to make more of a general physics talk, removing, or explaining as much of the jargon as I can in the course of a one hour talk. I just hope I'm as sucessful at it as I think I have been.

I dare you to have someone roll you in in a wheelchair while playing a recording of a voice synthesizer saying..."thank-you-for-having-me-here..."

SicEmBaylor
9/19/2006, 06:41 AM
Particle physics? Whoa..

Damn you and the rest of you with actual degrees that contribute something meaningful to society. ;)

mdklatt
9/19/2006, 09:18 AM
My real concern is that given that Marquette is a Jesuit university, and in light of recent events vis a vis the Pope and the a-rabs, should I take a flak jacket? ;)

Given the area of town where Marquette is you might want to take a flak jacket no matter what.

:eek:

And get some frozen custard at Kopps (http://www.kopps.com/). YWIA.

Howzit
9/19/2006, 09:22 AM
Cool, I can add "posts on the same message board as a guy that gave a colloquium at the Marquetts Physics Department" to my list of accomplishments.

Chuck Bao
9/19/2006, 09:46 AM
That is so great, Ike, that you are willing to share your knowledge and insights with university students.

This may be a really stupid question, but what's the diff between particle physics and quantum physics?

You guys can't measure it or got tired of doing the wave? Or, you measured it and the wave collapsed?

I don't know what I babbling on about, but I think it's interesting. More, please.

Ike
9/20/2006, 11:59 AM
That is so great, Ike, that you are willing to share your knowledge and insights with university students.

This may be a really stupid question, but what's the diff between particle physics and quantum physics?

You guys can't measure it or got tired of doing the wave? Or, you measured it and the wave collapsed?

I don't know what I babbling on about, but I think it's interesting. More, please.

particle physics has a great deal of overlap with quantum mechanics.

quantum mechanics, as was developed by Bohr, Heisenberg, et al, unfortunately is incompatible with einstiens theory of relativity. When you try to apply QM to objects that carry a lot of energy (ie, move very fast), any calculation you try to make "blows up", or gives you a bunch of infinities, which is obviously nonsense. This created a problem, because both theories gained tremendous supporting experimental evidence in the early part of this century. So anyway, particle physics, as it is known now, deals with quantum mechanics at high energies and how the hell all of that works. In some resepcts it is the same as the general QM that gets talked about in physics classes, but its also far more strange (that was a pun by the way, but I don't expect any of you to get it )

Boarder
9/20/2006, 12:02 PM
i lik to reed

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 12:06 PM
(that was a pun by the way, but I don't expect any of you to get it )

I got it. :O

OCUDad
9/20/2006, 12:08 PM
To hell with all that... how was the Brewers game?

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 12:13 PM

To hell with those losers...did you go to Kopps like I told you to?

Ike
9/20/2006, 01:36 PM

The Brewers got absolutely demolished. It was kind of awful. Ben Sheets looked good....except when he was getting his tits lit....their bullpen looked worse. Derek Turnbow should be a defenseman instead of a pitcher. He looks like he could throw a few hits on the ice.

I didn't make it to Kopps, but I did eat at Ziggies which was pretty good stuff.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 01:42 PM
The Brewers got absolutely demolished. It was kind of awful. Ben Sheets looked good....except when he was getting his tits lit....their bullpen looked worse.

And their pitching is better than their hitting. :eek: