PDA

View Full Version : What happens now if we win out?

SoonerGOP
9/18/2006, 07:54 PM
I'm not saying that it is going to happen. I'm very concerned about our defense still and I'm not so blind as to think that we are clearly superior to A&M AT KYLE FIELD, Texas or even Missouri in Columbia. After all, I saw a much superior OU squad lose to a very inferior A&M team at Kyle Field and was amazed at how tough that place is to play at.

But what happens if our defense gets its act together and doesn't allow for any losses? We beat everyone else on our schedule and everyone else loses a game. What happens to us? We go to the Fiesta Bowl as Big XII champ but because we got dropped in the rankings from the loss, we would be out of the NC game?

That's where the after effects of this game really bug me -- we should have moved up. Oregon should have moved down. All the Texas AP voters put us in the low 20's except the guy from San Antonio. If everyone else loses a game (which I think is very possible, we would have been undefeated and playing for our eighth NC. Now I think we wind up on the sidelines a la Auburn a few years ago.

Am I reading this wrong?

Harry Beanbag
9/18/2006, 07:59 PM
I think we should focus on the upcoming nine games before worrying about this possibility.

SoonerGOP
9/18/2006, 08:04 PM
I think we should focus on the upcoming nine games before worrying about this possibility.

I agree that we shouldn't really be concerned about it because we can't effect the outcome. But at the same time, I'm just trying to figure out what could happen. It seems to me that there might be a chance that we could have several in the media (who do have a vote) advocating us...but would they need to start voting us higher in the polls to reflect the loss as not hurting us?

boomrsoonr
9/18/2006, 08:04 PM
I'm not saying that it is going to happen. I'm very concerned about our defense still and I'm not so blind as to think that we are clearly superior to A&M AT KYLE FIELD, Texas or even Missouri in Columbia. After all, I saw a much superior OU squad lose to a very inferior A&M team at Kyle Field and was amazed at how tough that place is to play at.

But what happens if our defense gets its act together and doesn't allow for any losses? We beat everyone else on our schedule and everyone else loses a game. What happens to us? We go to the Fiesta Bowl as Big XII champ but because we got dropped in the rankings from the loss, we would be out of the NC game?

That's where the after effects of this game really bug me -- we should have moved up. Oregon should have moved down. All the Texas AP voters put us in the low 20's except the guy from San Antonio. If everyone else loses a game (which I think is very possible, we would have been undefeated and playing for our eighth NC. Now I think we wind up on the sidelines a la Auburn a few years ago.

Am I reading this wrong?

Did you see aTm and Army? We won't have any problems there. Besides, we just "won" a game in the most hostile, loudest stadium in the Country. :rolleyes:

Texas, I think it could go either way. Missouri, not that worried about them either. So far, both of them have looked good, but look who they played (other than UTerus and tOSU).

The only game I'm worried about is the one in KC at the end of the year if we wind up playing Nebraska. They look pretty solid this year. Losing to USC is not embarrassing.

BermudaSooner
9/18/2006, 08:20 PM
Assuming we win out, between OSU, USC, Auburn, ND, Louisville, Florida, and West Virginia, we would need to pass 6 of those 7 teams. I just don't see it happening, although who knows. This could turn out to be one of OU's greatest comebacks.

mdklatt
9/18/2006, 08:22 PM
The only game I'm worried about is the one in KC at the end of the year if we wind up playing Nebraska.

Who have they played? Other than the team that beat up on them.

AlbqSooner
9/18/2006, 08:28 PM
If, and it requires focusing on the remaining games and getting better, but if we win the Big XII championship and end up in a BCS bowl we might face Oregon again.

I think they would enjoy that about as much as Dr. Tom and the Cornshuckers enjoyed the Orange Bowl rematch.

SoonerGOP
9/18/2006, 08:31 PM
Saw part of A&M/Army while I was up bitching about the OU/UO bullcrap. The only reason that I'm concerned about A&M is the Kyle Field atmosphere. I've been to a game there (our 2002 loss) on a "Maroon Out" game. While their fans were the nicest, most respectful I've ever dealt with at an away location, the volume was simply more than anything Oregon could create.

Looking at our schedule here out, I'm not concerned about MTSU, ISU, CU, or Tech. I'm also not that concerned about osu or Baylor, although I'm proud of the Bears for finally start to field a team that is halfway decent.

That leaves Texas, Missouri and A&M. Texas is a toss up to me right now. I'm confident our offense can dominate against them. I'm not confident our defense can, even sans Vince Young.

Missouri has a great defensive line. Our O-line is going to need be solid in that game. Also, their new quarterback, Chase Daniel, is really pretty good, which concerns me with our secondary blowing coverage.

A&M - we should kill them. We should have in years past but have usually had tough games at Kyle Field -- 2000 was a loss until Torrence Marshall's INT. 2002 was a loss, period. 2004 was only a seven point win in College Station and we had to come from behind with Jason White throwing a record number of TD's in the game. Last season they played us tough in Norman -- remember our offense couldn't get anything done until AD showed up and put the game away for us -- and we won by 6. It's been a long time since 77-0.

As for the Big XII North -- it looks to me that it will be Nebraska or Missouri. I'm betting it will be Nebraska.

Pepper
9/18/2006, 08:32 PM
IF that happens, the BCS rankings will keep us out of the championship game. We will play another 1 or 2 loss team, not in the Fiesta Bowl. Provided we win the bowl game, then we can pull a USC and declare ourselves national champions.