PDA

View Full Version : A Duck fan's letter to PAC 10 commiss.

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:07 PM
Commissioner Hanson,

As a loyal Duck fan of many years, I feel the need to voice my concerns and to make a suggestion.

I was present at the Oklahoma vs. Oregon game at Autzen Stadium this past weekend, and I have to say that it while it was impossible for the people in the stands to know how poorly the on-side kick was called by the PAC-10 officiating crew, a review of the replays available on the internet and on television afterward were pretty convincing. If the officials had access to the same replays during the game, it’s difficult to understand how any honest official could have given the ball to the Ducks after that play.

I recognize the fact that there is always going to be human error in football officiating, and I also recognize that a number of calls should have gone Oregon’s way at different points in the game and didn’t, but when our reputation as a conference that plays fair is at stake (and I believe it is in this case), then such obvious lapses in judgment cannot be tolerated (if, indeed, it was merely a lapse in judgment and not something more sinister).

Regardless of how the rest of the season turns out for the Ducks, this game will always have an asterisk next to it in the minds of millions of college football fans all over the nation, and that simply isn’t fair to the players or the fans. In fact, it’s most unfair to the Oregon players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never feel is truly theirs.

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know already, but I’m writing to urge you take a further step than just suspending the officials for one game. I hope you will agree that this conference needs a comprehensive overhaul of its officiating policies and personnel. This is hardly the first time that PAC-10 officiating has been harshly criticized – both by outside conferences as well as within league-play. But since that will have to wait for the off-season, perhaps in the meantime you can give some thought to making an immediate policy change: allow the visiting teams to bring their own officials to man the review booth or officiate on the field (one or the other), as many conferences are already doing. I think this would go a long way toward putting visiting teams at ease in the future, and it may also serve to deflate a controversy that has already gotten to the point of having OU’s president demanding that the game get voided from the record.

It won’t make Sooner fans any happier, but it would show others that we are committed to fairness in athletics. A champion is not a champion unless the contest is fair. After all, for us to lay claim to a motto like “the conference of champions,” I think it behooves us to go above and beyond in our efforts to ensure our contests or officiated fairly and objectively.

Respectfully,

Dio
9/18/2006, 07:13 PM
It's not nice to beat up other kids and steal their homework.

I'm just screwing with you- nice letter.

MamaMia
Thats nice. Now, can you prove you sent it?

badger
Thanks duck fan. I don't think anybody blames the ducks for the bad officiating. Now as for our blocked field goal... :rolleyes:

soonerhubs
9/18/2006, 07:21 PM
Just when I was thinking of new creative words to rhyme with duckwriter, you go and make me feel guilty for attacking you so maliciously the other day. Seriously, sorry for being so ornery, I was just in a terrible mood.

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:23 PM
Will this do?

From <[email protected]>
Sent Monday, September 18, 2006 5:21 pm
To [email protected]
Cc
Bcc
Subject Please fix officiating!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner Hanson,

As a loyal Duck fan of many years, I feel the need to voice my concerns and to make a suggestion.

I was present at the Oklahoma vs. Oregon game at Autzen Stadium this past weekend, and I have to say that it while it was impossible for the people in the stands to know how poorly the on-side kick was called by the PAC-10 officiating crew, a review of the replays available on the internet and on television afterward were pretty convincing. If the officials had access to the same replays during the game, it�s difficult to understand how any honest official could have given the ball to the Ducks after that play.

I recognize the fact that there is always going to be human error in football officiating, and I also recognize that a number of calls should have gone Oregon�s way at different points in the game and didn�t, but when our reputation as a conference that plays fair is at stake (and I believe it is in this case), then such obvious lapses in judgment cannot be tolerated (if, indeed, it was merely a lapse in judgment and not something more sinister).

Regardless of how the rest of the season turns out for the Ducks, this game will always have an asterisk next to it in the minds of millions of college football fans all over the nation, and that simply isn�t fair to the players or the fans. In fact, it�s most unfair to the Oregon players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never feel is truly theirs.

I�m sure I�m not telling you anything you don�t know already, but I�m writing to urge you take a further step than just suspending the officials for one game. I hope you will agree that this conference needs a comprehensive overhaul of its officiating policies and personnel. This is hardly the first time that PAC-10 officiating has been harshly criticized � both by outside conferences as well as within league-play. But since that will have to wait for the off-season, perhaps in the meantime you can give some thought to making an immediate policy change: allow the visiting teams to bring their own officials to man the review booth or officiate on the field (one or the other), as many conferences are already doing. I think this would go a long way toward putting visiting teams at ease in the future, and it may also serve to deflate a controversy that has already gotten to the point of having OU�s president demanding that the game get voided from the record.

It won�t make Sooner fans any happier, but it would show others that we are committed to fairness in athletics. A champion is not a champion unless the contest is fair. After all, for us to lay claim to a motto like �the conference of champions,� I think it behooves us to go above and beyond in our efforts to ensure our contests or officiated fairly and objectively.

Respectfully,

Charles Glenn

badger
9/18/2006, 07:24 PM
awww, no fair! He's a military guy so we can't spam his email now :(:(:(:(

Thanks for servin the country, duckie. Now go beat some Trojan arse. :D

leavingthezoo
9/18/2006, 07:26 PM
there's no way i'd put my email addy on a message board. unless it's howzits addy.

birddog
9/18/2006, 07:27 PM
funny how your tune has changed in one day, writer.

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:29 PM
Just when I was thinking of new creative words to rhyme with duckwriter, you go and make me feel guilty for attacking you so maliciously the other day. Seriously, sorry for being so ornery, I was just in a terrible mood.

The feeling's mutual. I feel bad for some of the things I said in anger as well. I truly meant what I said about the OU fans I met at the game being class-acts. I honestly hope there is something that PAC-10 officials can do to change the problems with its officiating, and whatever it is I hope it's public and effective. We Duck fans have been begging and pleading with Oregon's AD to start scheduling quality opponents in the regular season, and they finally started listening ... but this could really put a damper on storied programs like OU wanting to take on the Ducks at home. It's hard enough to convince them to come when we can only sell 60,000 tickets.

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:33 PM
funny how your tune has changed in one day, writer.

My tune changed when I saw that second video yesterday, bird-dog (and it's right there in the thread, if you want to check it out), and after giving it some serious thought since then: I don't think the PAC-10 commissioner is taking this seriously enough.

It's a damned shame, it truly is. Take away the controversy, and this could have been one of the Ducks' proudest moments. Two touchdowns in 26 seconds followed by a blocked kick doesn't come along every day. I guess I wanted to hang on to that.

mrowl
9/18/2006, 07:39 PM
writer, do you think this will affect if other conferences schedule games with the Pac 10?

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 07:40 PM
One video changed your mind.

Man you had alot to say before that.

In the future, maybe you should learn to search out all the facts before going off like you did.

badger
9/18/2006, 07:40 PM
I don't blame you one bit. Our sand aggies at Texas Tech made billboards out of their controversial victory last year.

OU/UO was a great game... kind of like baseball back in the "America's pasttime" era. And now... they both have a big * :mad:

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:54 PM
writer, do you think this will affect if other conferences schedule games with the Pac 10?

Too early to tell. I hope not, but I think alot of it depends on what the PAC-10 does with these officials.

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 07:57 PM
One video changed your mind.

Man you had alot to say before that.

In the future, maybe you should learn to search out all the facts before going off like you did.

Hey, alot of what I said still stands, StoopTroup -- the Sooners had chances to win the game, and didn't capitalize. It's also true that there were game-changing calls that were made/not made that benefited OU in this game. Admitting that to yourself might be healthy.

I still think OU's defense is in trouble, just like I think the Ducks have to learn to protect the football if they want to make it to a bowl game this year.

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 08:03 PM
Hey, alot of what I said still stands, StoopTroup -- the Sooners had chances to win the game, and didn't capitalize. It's also true that there were game-changing calls that were made/not made that benefited OU in this game. Admitting that to yourself might be healthy.

I still think OU's defense is in trouble, just like I think the Ducks have to learn to protect the football if they want to make it to a bowl game this year.
Warning (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78385)

Rogue
9/18/2006, 08:07 PM
Good on you, DW. Well-written letter and the stones to change your opinion after reviewing the evidence.

pardine
9/18/2006, 08:10 PM
In my opinion they’re no faults to Oregon team or there fans. The officiating and the review official made terrible mistakes and there know way we could get the win back. With that said I hope in the future they can get the review system fix and that this not happens again for any teams. The teams play the game not the officials.

gigglestunes (https://www.burnlounge.com/gigglestunes)

badger
9/18/2006, 08:17 PM
Teams play the game, as do coaches.

Speaking of...
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/0918/nfl_a_sims2_195.jpg
Jon Gruden: Let me answer that one for Chris...
Chrissy throws 3 INT's!!!!

GrapevineSooner
9/18/2006, 08:20 PM
Thank you.

For the letter.

But much more, for your service to our country.

Something that puts all of this into perspective.

Soonermagik
9/18/2006, 08:25 PM
You're a class fan duck. I've never once held a grude against Oregon, just the refs!!!

mrowl
9/18/2006, 08:27 PM
but I still can't figure out how writer gets to start threads. goes against the rules.

KingDavid
9/18/2006, 09:49 PM
Commissioner Hanson,

I was present at the Oklahoma vs. Oregon game at Autzen Stadium this past weekend, and I have to say that it while it was impossible for the people in the stands to know how poorly the on-side kick was called by the PAC-10 officiating crew, a review of the replays available on the internet and on television afterward were pretty convincing. If the officials had access to the same replays during the game, it’s difficult to understand how any honest official could have given the ball to the Ducks after that play.

I recognize the fact that there is always going to be human error in football officiating, and I also recognize that a number of calls should have gone Oregon’s way at different points in the game and didn’t, but when our reputation as a conference that plays fair is at stake (and I believe it is in this case), then such obvious lapses in judgment cannot be tolerated (if, indeed, it was merely a lapse in judgment and not something more sinister).

Regardless of how the rest of the season turns out for the Ducks, this game will always have an asterisk next to it in the minds of millions of college football fans all over the nation, and that simply isn’t fair to the players or the fans. In fact, it’s most unfair to the Oregon players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never feel is truly theirs.

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know already, but I’m writing to urge you take a further step than just suspending the officials for one game. I hope you will agree that this conference needs a comprehensive overhaul of its officiating policies and personnel. This is hardly the first time that PAC-10 officiating has been harshly criticized – both by outside conferences as well as within league-play. But since that will have to wait for the off-season, perhaps in the meantime you can give some thought to making an immediate policy change: allow the visiting teams to bring their own officials to man the review booth or officiate on the field (one or the other), as many conferences are already doing. I think this would go a long way toward putting visiting teams at ease in the future, and it may also serve to deflate a controversy that has already gotten to the point of having OU’s president demanding that the game get voided from the record.

It won’t make Sooner fans any happier, but it would show others that we are committed to fairness in athletics. A champion is not a champion unless the contest is fair. After all, for us to lay claim to a motto like “the conference of champions,” I think it behooves us to go above and beyond in our efforts to ensure our contests or officiated fairly and objectively.

Respectfully,

Duckwriter - you may learn SLOWLY, but you learn WELL. Thanks for the post and over-all gesture. More so, thanks for your service to our great nation!

Peace to you . . . and here's hoping that the Ducks make the most of their good fortune like other teams have done (Colorado 1990 for instance).

morrisbuttermaker
9/18/2006, 10:01 PM
In fact, it’s most unfair to the Oregon players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never feel is truly theirs.
Great letter but I have to correct you on the above. It's 'most unfair' to the OU players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never have even with an *.

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 10:03 PM
http://www.supercoolstuff.com/items/candy/pics/CN007.jpg

StoopTroup
9/18/2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART182/OBJ018.jpg

Duckwriter
9/18/2006, 10:05 PM
Great letter but I have to correct you on the above. It's 'most unfair' to the OU players who played their hearts out at key moments to get a victory they can never have even with an *.

The real victims of this whole fiasco are the players and the coaches from both teams.

Funky G
9/18/2006, 11:44 PM
OK. Enough is enough. The mistake has been recognized. We won. Let's move on.