PDA

View Full Version : Worst Calls in NCAA Football History?

Pride Baritone
9/18/2006, 06:46 PM
I'm just wondering if any of you guys out there can compare the calls made late in the game with any other legendary officiating screw-ups. Where does this sit on the all-time list? I wouldn't be surprised if this went down as one of the worst calls in college football history. :pop:

josh09
9/18/2006, 06:51 PM
weve had 3 of at least the top 15, from TTU last year, oregon this year, and the texas game (cant remember the year) where the interception was called out.

Sooner Suzie
9/18/2006, 06:55 PM
The "fifth down" Colorado 33 Missouri 31 October 6, 1990 would probably make the top 10. I have a feeling the OU/UO one will go down in history as No. 1 seeing how they had the benefit of instant replay and still blew it.

OK2LA
9/18/2006, 07:26 PM
The 5th down would probably have to go down as #1 in my book.

#1 because of the "obvious" factor. - The refs all wear these rubber band things that go in between their fingers to "count" the downs, and then you have that huge sign on the sideline, THEN you have the friggin' scoreboard. That's what I call the "obvious factor".

OU/tejas with Stansbury's interception was pretty decisive as well, but again, it was up to a human seeing the catch, his feet, etc. Bang-bang. NO REPLAY. Plays/calls get missed.

The big one that sticks out in my mind is the Pass Interference in the Fiesa Bowl with Ohio State/Miami. That one was pretty questionable . . . AND LATE!:pop:

AllAboutThe'O'
9/18/2006, 07:42 PM
A Florida fan on another thread mentioned the 2003 Fla.-Fla. State game. That, too, was an officiating debacle.
I'll also add the Florida-Tennessee game of 2004 when a Gator and a Vol was involved in a shoving match, and instead of giving both teams unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, only the Gators were flagged, which set up a long field goal from Tennessee which won them the game.

mrowl
9/18/2006, 07:45 PM
5th down has to be #1

AllAboutThe'O'
9/18/2006, 07:47 PM
Another one that comes to mind was Charles White's phantom touchdown for USC in the 1979 Rose Bowl with Michigan. White appeared to fumble the ball away before reaching the end zone, but officials ruled that he broke the plane. That controversial touchdown proved to be the difference in the game as USC won by seven points.

Miko
9/18/2006, 08:03 PM
What about the no-call the time Bobby Bouchet lost his pants on a fumble recovery and ran into the endzone bare-@$$? The Muddogs went on to win the Bourbon Bowl, you remember.

crawfish
9/18/2006, 08:07 PM
Didn't NU also kick a ball in the end zone to get a catch to beat CU? That's gotta be one of the worst no-calls.

jkjsooner
9/18/2006, 08:18 PM
A few years ago in the Georgia / Georgia Tech game, the Georgia player jumped over the pile to score a TD and as he was coming down the Tech player slapped the ball away. The play was ruled a fumble but on replay it was clearly a TD. This was at the end of the game and GT won.

ClintonSooner
9/18/2006, 08:22 PM
1. Fifth down
2. Ohio state-Miami's "defensive holding"
3. I would say Texas/OU 84'...wtf ref
4. Gotta go back to luvcuck TT's
5. Oregon

you can swith the last 2, depends on how rest of the season goes IMO

keep in mind this is a Sooners POV

AllAboutThe'O'
9/18/2006, 08:28 PM
I grew up an Arkansas fan, and back in '82, the Hogs played a critical Southwest Conference game with SMU (back when the Mustangs had the Pony Express of Dickerson and James). Winner goes to the Cotton Bowl.
Late in the game, with the Razorbacks holding on to a lead, the Mustangs throw an incomplete pass on third down. Nathan Jones, an Arkansas defender, was covering on the play and didn't do any blatant pushing, it appeared as if he was applying good coverage but the refs didn't see it that way, flagging the Hogs for pass interference. SMU then ties the score on that drive, and the game ended in a tie. The Mustangs won the tiebreaker to go to the Cotton Bowl, where they eventually beat Dan Marino and Pitt. Razorback fans still consider this the second worst non-win in history, the other being the '69 loss to Texas.

BermudaSooner
9/18/2006, 08:33 PM
5th down has to be #1

5th down was bad, but it was 2 - 3rd downs that they got. Had they gotten 2 4th downs, it would have been much worse, but the 2 third downs changed the playcalling on both sides of the ball. If CU knew that the 2nd 3rd down was really 4th down, maybe they would have called something different.

Don't forget the fumble OU recovered in the 84 UT game as well that was ruled down. Either that recovery or the Stanbury interception wins the game for OU. The Oregon game has to be worse though, because of the replay officials still got it wrong.

Blues1
9/18/2006, 09:46 PM
Oregon VS OU #1 --- 9/6/2006 -- This was a full blown 100% illegal attempt to change the out come of the game - and they did it......!!!
and had a chance to make it right and REFUSED.....

The others were either dumb - lazy - stupid - human error or mistakes - poor & bad judgement - and some favoritetism - etc...JMHO....

Still R'

KingDavid
9/18/2006, 10:08 PM
1. Fifth down
2. Ohio state-Miami's "defensive holding"
3. I would say Texas/OU 84'...wtf ref
4. Gotta go back to luvcuck TT's
5. Oregon

you can swith the last 2, depends on how rest of the season goes IMO

keep in mind this is a Sooners POV

Agree with everything here except #2 - it wasn't that bad of a call, IMO. But then again, I can't stand Miami.

All of these belong on the Mount Rushmore of bad calls.

Du Fu
9/18/2006, 10:54 PM
1. 5th Down
2. Luckeyes over Miami in NC game.

Crimson_Balls
9/18/2006, 11:05 PM
What about the Torrence Marshall interception against Texas A&M in the '99-2000 season? Remember the Rocky Calmus block in the back on the return?

The refs could have called that TD back and the Sooners would have never won a national title.

Thank God they didn't but A&M shut down our offense and if it wasn't for TM making a big return on a pick we were toast.

Some calls go our way and some calls don't. It's just unfortunate that the Duck's get a break like that and take away from our NC hopes this year.

Sco
9/19/2006, 12:02 AM
Let's not forget the USC/ND game of 2005... final play... yeah...

jkjsooner
9/20/2006, 10:09 PM
5th down was bad, but it was 2 - 3rd downs that they got. Had they gotten 2 4th downs, it would have been much worse, but the 2 third downs changed the playcalling on both sides of the ball. If CU knew that the 2nd 3rd down was really 4th down, maybe they would have called something different.

Don't forget the fumble OU recovered in the 84 UT game as well that was ruled down. Either that recovery or the Stanbury interception wins the game for OU. The Oregon game has to be worse though, because of the replay officials still got it wrong.

Colorado downed the ball on 4th down (markers said 3rd down) to stop the clock. Obviously, they would have never done that had the down marker been correct. On the other hand, their fourth down plan would have been very very rushed....

usmc-sooner
9/20/2006, 10:22 PM
I always thought the FSU vs NU for FSU's first title, was very questionable if not fixed by the refs. I thought Neb had that game stolen from them.

usmc-sooner
9/20/2006, 10:23 PM
sorry repeat.

ClintonSooner
9/20/2006, 10:24 PM
If it weren't for the "defensive holding" call, then tOSU would't be where they are today IMO

notice they were still ranked top 5 and top 10 the few down years after?

thats the reason why.

jonej_77
9/20/2006, 10:43 PM
that would be the 2001-2002 season when the ducks were overlooked for the national championship game for a team that didn't even when their conference. OU you can start talking when you are truly screwed over for a shot at the title

batonrougesooner
9/20/2006, 11:10 PM
The thing we should remember is that among all the above plays, with the exception of the TT game, replay was not available to make it right. Sure some of the calls wouldn't have been reviewable anyway, but the point remains.

The thing that makes this one so bad is that they got an opportunity to make it right and still screwed it up. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't know already.

Camomaha
9/20/2006, 11:23 PM
Worst screw jobs ever have to have been the Penn State vs NU and the Penn State vs Bama games from 1982. Those of you that saw those games need no explaination. Home cooking at its best (worst).

swardboy
9/21/2006, 05:40 AM
Don't forget the infamous Cal/Stanford kickoff return into the band in the endzone....replay seems to show his knee was touching when one of the returners lateraled the ball.