PDA

View Full Version : PAC 10 suspends officiating crew

spaceman
9/18/2006, 04:59 PM
for one game according to WWLS.

IronSooner
9/18/2006, 05:01 PM
I hope their wrists don't sting too bad.

RedstickSooner
9/18/2006, 05:04 PM
Er... Linky?

Landthief 1972
9/18/2006, 05:09 PM
So basically, they get a 1-week vacation. Hopefully, Reise spends his time getting an eye exam and a few lessons on running a TiVo remote.

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 05:10 PM
Confirmed by the DO.

mrowl
9/18/2006, 05:13 PM
also on Dallasnews.com

They should be fired.

BoonesFarmSooner
9/18/2006, 05:15 PM
F'ing AMAZING !!!!!!!!!

PAC 10 thought they got some bad emails from me today..... Tomorrow I'm raining blows on those F'ers!!!!

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 05:16 PM
Officiating crew suspended 1 game; Apology issued

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- The Pacific-10 Conference has suspended for one game the officiating crew and the instant replay officials that worked Saturday's Oklahoma at Oregon football game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story continues below advertisement

The Pac 10 also apologized to the University of Oklahoma for the officiating on a key play in the game.

A review by conference officials of video of the game revealed that both the instant replay officials and the game officials assigned by the Conference made errors in the final 1:12 of the game, Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said today.

Oregon won the game 34-33, scoring two touchdowns in the final 1:12.

An onside kick by Oregon after its first touchdown was touched by an Oregon player before it had traveled the required 10 yards, and the ball accordingly should have been awarded to Oklahoma at the spot of touching.

Further, while the ball was determined to have been recovered by Oregon by the game officials, video shows an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball. That aspect of the play is not reviewable by instant replay by rule.

The play was reviewed by the instant replay officials, who concurred with the field officials that that Oklahoma had touched the ball with Oregon recovering and the play stood as called on the field.

A subsequent Oregon pass play on which pass interference was called on Oklahoma also was reviewed to see if the forward pass had been touched by a defensive player, thus nullifying the pass interference call. The replay officials ruled that there was not indisputable video evidence that the touching had occurred.

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said. "We had a solid veteran crew assigned, and the instant replay official had a fine career as a referee in the Pac-10. We believe in the ability and integrity of each individual involved. It should be noted that not all of the seven officials were directly involved in the play in question, but the entire crew bears responsibility for every play. Game officials and replay officials have positions of great responsibility and must be accountable for their actions.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, Coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating.

"Because of the ramifications, we are taking action against both the members of the officiating crew and the instant replay official and his assistant. Each individual will be suspended for one game, and their work in future games closely monitored.

"Officiating on the field is much more difficult than it appears from the stands, and certainly when watching repeated replays. Plays occur at a high rate of speed. Decisions on the field must be made instantaneously. The training and experience of officials at this level enable them to work at a high degree of accuracy. Unfortunately, at the critical moment of this game errors were made," Hansen stated.

"Further, the instant replay official is limited to the views of any play which is made available and must make a timely decision, although on the kickoff play ample views were available," he concluded.

donutello
9/18/2006, 05:17 PM
Do you guys remember the USC-UCLA game from 2004 where the refs blew a whistle negating a fumble that UCLA was going to return for a TD and negated another USC fumble with a whistle?

That was our dear friend Gordon Riese at work. He was subsequently assigned to booth duty because he was deemed to be blind as a bat.

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 05:18 PM
Well that sucked.

Paperclip
9/18/2006, 05:20 PM
I know I feel better. :rolleyes:

Dio
Blah, blah, PC, blah

usmc-sooner
one game

tbl
9/18/2006, 05:21 PM
Why did that suck? That's more than I expected to happen...

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 05:22 PM
This just in...

The officials must also go to bed tonight without dinner.

Harry Beanbag
That's more than I expected too, but one game is pretty lame.

BoonesFarmSooner
Suspended for ONE freaking game???

THAT IS ACCOUNTABILITY ???????????????

Nice job, Pac-10. You are like the ten teams in your league on defense:

SOFT

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 05:24 PM
Why did that suck? That's more than I expected to happen...

I'm a little shocked they admited they were wrong, but then again with that video I don't guess they had any other choice. One game???

mrowl
I bet they are still paid for this one game.

TopDawg
This just in...

No soup for the officials...one year!

Jewstin
9/18/2006, 05:25 PM
Sigh. Typical.

I was an idiot for actually believing anything unprecedented would come out of this.

buffchazen
Hey guys. I am a BYU fan who wanted to say that I can sypathize with you all. You guys have learned the lesson we learned many years ago and continue to learn every time we play a PAC-10 team at home. The lesson is this:

YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE TEAM AND THE REFS IF YOU WANT TO COME AWAY WITH A WIN.

Gentlemen, PAC-10 officials are the most biased officials in the country. If you want to win a PAC-10 game played in the PAC-10, you HAVE to score so many points that the refs cannot take the game away from you. You have to put it so far out of reach that it would be impossible for the refs to make a difference.

DO NOT GO BACK TO THE PAC-10 UNLESS YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN OFFICIALS.

PrideTrombone
Better than the Big 12 did for the refs in the Texas tech game.

TopDawg
This just in...

Officials grounded from cell phone use until Wednesday.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 05:26 PM
That's almost worse than doing nothing. That says "We know they were wrong and we don't give a ****."

RedstickSooner
9/18/2006, 05:26 PM
I agree. I appreciate this - and I don't remember a conference ever apologizing for lousy officiating like this.

Doesn't mean it hasn't happened - just means I don't remember it.

And, yeah, I'd like to see the guy suspended for more than one game -- but, still, having the Pac-10 admit that the call was blown, and egregiously so... Well, it's gratifying.

mrowl
9/18/2006, 05:27 PM
Pac-10 to OU: Officials got it wrong

Conference issues apology, suspends crew for one week

05:19 PM CDT on Monday, September 18, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORMAN, Okla. – Pacific-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said he will suspend all the officials, both on the field and in the replay booth, who worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon game for one week.

In a statement released Monday, Hansen also apologized to OU for officials' errors that led to the Ducks' controversial 34-33 win in Eugene.

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said in the statement. "We had a solid veteran crew assigned, and the instant replay official had a fine career as a referee in the Pac-10.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, Coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

Pac-10 spokesman Jim Muldoon said the replay official, Gordon Riese, was a former game official who was moved to the replay booth last year. "He was one of our better referees," Muldoon said.

But Muldoon said once conference officials studied the tape, they knew they had to do something.

Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg also issued a statement saying he was disappointed that instant replay did not work as intended.

"There is no provision under NCAA or conference rules for a game result to be reversed or changed as a result of officiating errors, nor do I believe there should be," Weiberg said. "Officiating decisions are part of the game just as are decisions of coaches and athletes, and determining what errors should result in overturning results would be chaotic."

Earlier Monday, OU president David Boren asked the Big 12 to take action.

In a letter to Weiberg, Boren asked for the conference to “launch a vigorous effort to correct the situation.”

Boren was seeking an apology from the Pacific-10 Conference for “gross errors” in officiating. Boren’s referring to two calls that Pacific-10 officials declined to reverse late in the game. On the first, replays appeared to show an Oregon player touching an onside kick before the ball had traveled the required 10 yards. On the second, a pass interference call was not overruled, despite the fact that the pass appeared to have been tipped.

In his letter, Boren asked that the game not be recorded as a win or a loss by either team “in light of the level of officiating mistakes.” He also asked that the officials involved in the calls be suspended.

TopDawg
This just in...

Officials must wash dishes and take out the trash this week.

tbl
but can they still meet me at the Sonic for slushies?

OUstudent4life
...The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling...

...They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating...

Well, that's more than I expected, and pretty much all that can happen under the NCAA.

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 05:29 PM
This just in...

Lights out for officials at 9:30 p.m. next two weeks.

PAW
9/18/2006, 05:29 PM
link?

mrowl
9/18/2006, 05:30 PM
link?

www.google.com

mdklatt
9/18/2006, 05:30 PM
"There is no provision under NCAA or conference rules for a game result to be reversed or changed as a result of officiating errors, nor do I believe there should be," Weiberg said. "Officiating decisions are part of the game just as are decisions of coaches and athletes, and determining what errors should result in overturning results would be chaotic."

I agree with this 100%, even when it bites us in the ***.

JohnnyMack
9/18/2006, 05:31 PM
An apology and a suspension is rare. Take it and move on.

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 05:31 PM
"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said.

...but is easier for me to stomach when you consider that it could result in a better bowl payout for our conference."

DuckY
9/18/2006, 05:33 PM
I spent 20 mintues composing a bunch of crap and an admin wiped it out in 2 seconds.

StuIsTheMan
9/18/2006, 05:33 PM
:pop: ONE GAME...it is probably next week...the week they are schedualed off anyway...This all but proves the fix was in and the PAC10 is trying to do the very least to make this go away. Although I do think that taking the game off the books is not the right call either, but I do think a suspension of the field staff for the year the Fireing of the Replay Gonad is. People really need to look in to this whole P.K. thing...HE IS AS DIRTY AS THEY COME...I am from Portland, and I know his track record isn't all that good up here unless you are with the University of Oregon. But there is more here then meets the eye...I just wish someone with more research power would realize it. But taking on the 4th richest man in the US would be probably the worst career move you could make for a sports writer. It just stinks I tell you.STINKS!!!

PAW
9/18/2006, 05:34 PM
www.google.com

been there already, thanks ;)

stoopified
9/18/2006, 05:34 PM
AT least they admitted it and aplogized.Other than awarding the game to the Sooners that is all they can do.It was more than I expected.

sitzpinkler
9/18/2006, 05:35 PM
Laying low under the radar for years, yesterday's referees crew have finally been found out. They're the cause of not just the outcome of yesterday's game, but many other larger, global issues. As for yesterday's game, here's a shortened list of all the things caused by the referees: I wanted everyone to have a full recap, just to make it easy to see how Oregon's play had nothing to do with the outcome, and nothing was Oklahoma's fault. The referees caused all of this:

The referees caused Oklahoma to have 501 yards run up against them.

The referees caused Stewart to go off for almost 144 yards and a better average than Peterson by the way.

The referees caused Paysinger to be wide open by 10 yards on a 20 yard route for the winning TD.

Dixon's 16-yard run, untouched to the end zone to get Oregon within 6 points was a direct result of the referees failing to make a tackle for Oklahoma. Something they did repeatedly all day long that needs to be investigated.

The referees caused Oklahoma to only get 6 points when Malcolm Kelly pushed off of Walter Thurmond, got separation and scored a touchdown. This is an atrocity. Oklahoma should've been awared 12 points for that play. I'm outraged even myself.

The referees caused Oklahoma to have to go too far for their last touchdown of the 3rd quarter. They gave Oklahoma a play that never happened when the clock ran out and Malcolm Kelly went the distance. Then only spotted the ball 8 yards ahead of where they should've after making that mistake. Saying he stepped out of bounds on the Oregon 47 instead of the Oklahoma 47. They should've placed the ball at the Oregon 1 yard line for first and goal. Thats' what God wanted I believe. Again, these referees did not give Oklahoma enough of an advantage in the 3rd quarter and that's incredibly unfair.

The referees caused more work for the Sooners when they mysteriously only gave Adrian Peterson an extra 2 yards on the spot when he dove for the sticks in the 4th quarter. Causing it to be 4th and inches instead of 4th and 2. Oklahoma deserved the 1st down even though they had come up short. At least one referee should be fired for this. Total incompetence.

The referees caused Oklahoma to use all of their timeouts ahead of time because of all the noise. Clearly, the referees have a duty to take all home field advantage away from Oregon, and allow God's team to play as if they're in their own backyard. Yeah, I know, Oklahoma prepared all week. I know, everyone said, 'We've played in hostile enviroments before.' Still, the referees should've done something about it. Loud noise at a football game is wrong. These are just young boys and to ask them to play with that kind of distraction is wrong. There should be an investigation.

The referees caused Oklahoma to not score touchdowns on three separate occasions when they had first downs on the 2, first down on the 3, and first down on the 7. Again, Oregon had nothing to do with that, it was the referees. Huge hits by Chung, Ageyman, and Phillips should've been wiped out. Their making plays down there was unfair, the referees should've
seen it and done something about it.

The referees caused Oregon to have an unfair advantage as well by making sure two of their starters on defense were injured duriing the game. After causing standout tackle Jeremy Gibbs to be injured, they also made sure starting linebacker Brent Haberly was injured. This gave Oregon and unfair advantage by making them play with two guys who weren't as good. The NCAA surely will discuss this next week.

The referees caused the kick to be blocked. Yes, I've watched the tape (If you look closely and go frame-by-frame I swear this happens) One of the referees runs toward the line at the last second and joins the play, pushing along with the Oregon line toward the kicker, providing an extra push needed for Blair Phillips to block the field goal. Without the referees help, Oregon wouldn't have blocked the kick, it would've been impossible. Of course, in real-time it's impossible to see this, but the film doesn't lie.

The referees also caused Adrian Peterson to go out of bounds and told Bob Stoops to throw a clock-killing incomplete pass to stop the clock twice on Oklahoma's last drive. These officials were atrocious.

It is also now a proven fact that this referee crew is the cause of cancer, rising gas prices and may be fairly influential in the spread of West Nile Virus.

STFU and get off our board you stupid ****

Dallas
9/18/2006, 05:36 PM
Ducky -

Post all the drivel you want. It does not change the fact that your Ducks needed this officiate crew to win this game for you. You will not admit it. We don't expect you to. But - down in your gut and when you go to bed each night this week. You know Oklahoma beat your sorry teams A$$ again.

G'day to you

Dallas

donutello
9/18/2006, 05:37 PM
Gordon Riese was one of the officials on the field during "The Play" in the Cal-Stanford game. I don't think the Pac-10 officials would feel comfortable publicly firing someone with such a long tenure as a referee over a single incident but I expect that he will announce a plan to retire so he can be with his family before the end of this season. I'm surprised that they were so quick with the apology and suspensions because I doubt it's something the Commissioner could do on his own so he probably had to get together an emergency meeting of officials to perform this review. Anyhow, I think the 1-game suspension for the whole crew is just the first step with more to come soon.

Anyone remember how long it took the ACC to suspend the officials involved in the Duke-FSU basketball game last year?

Stoop Dawg
I'm satisfied with that response. I don't see what else can be done, unless they uncover some sort of illegal activity.

TrophyCollector
been there already, thanks ;)

www.newsok.com - front page

Sooner24
9/18/2006, 05:38 PM
Boy that sures makes me feel better. :rolleyes:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/091906dnspoouprez.20f524bd.html

Pac-10 to OU: Officials got it wrong

Conference issues apology, suspends crew for one week

05:19 PM CDT on Monday, September 18, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORMAN, Okla. – Pacific-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said he will suspend all the officials, both on the field and in the replay booth, who worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon game for one week.

In a statement released Monday, Hansen also apologized to OU for officials' errors that led to the Ducks' controversial 34-33 win in Eugene.

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said in the statement. "We had a solid veteran crew assigned, and the instant replay official had a fine career as a referee in the Pac-10.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, Coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

Pac-10 spokesman Jim Muldoon said the replay official, Gordon Riese, was a former game official who was moved to the replay booth last year. "He was one of our better referees," Muldoon said.

But Muldoon said once conference officials studied the tape, they knew they had to do something.

Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg also issued a statement saying he was disappointed that instant replay did not work as intended.

Earlier Monday, OU president David Boren asked the Big 12 to take action.

In a letter to Weiberg, Boren asked for the conference to “launch a vigorous effort to correct the situation.”

Boren was seeking an apology from the Pacific-10 Conference for “gross errors” in officiating. Boren’s referring to two calls that Pacific-10 officials declined to reverse late in the game. On the first, replays appeared to show an Oregon player touching an onside kick before the ball had traveled the required 10 yards. On the second, a pass interference call was not overruled, despite the fact that the pass appeared to have been tipped.

In his letter, Boren asked that the game not be recorded as a win or a loss by either team “in light of the level of officiating mistakes.” He also asked that the officials involved in the calls be suspended.

colleyvillesooner
9/18/2006, 05:38 PM
The referees also caused Adrian Peterson to go out of bounds and told Bob Stoops to throw a clock-killing incomplete pass to stop the clock twice on Oklahoma's last drive. These officials were atrocious.

I love idiots. We didn't throw one pass, let alone two on our final drive.

OUrOUned
9/18/2006, 05:39 PM
Let the media 'hash it out' now...move on To MTSU...media will murder Oregon and Oklahoma might get a little 'wine' notice but considering last years Tech ending I think it is a little warranted, but time to move on.

TopDawg
This just in...

Comedy Central signs Ducky to Comedy Central Presents lineup.

This just in...

Comedy Central Presents booking agent fired.

Stoop Dawg
I wanted everyone to have a full recap, just to make it easy to see how Oregon's play had nothing to do with the outcome, and nothing was Oklahoma's fault.

Dear Mr 2 posts,

I didn't read your entire post, because you obviously haven't taken the time to read any other posts on this board. If you had, you would see that MOST OU fans give Oregon mucho credit (and OU mucho criticism) for their play in Saturday's game. No one is slighting Oregon - only the officiating.

You may move along now.

Sincerely,
Stoop Dawg

Sooner-N-KS
9/18/2006, 05:42 PM
"Officiating on the field is much more difficult than it appears from the stands, and certainly when watching repeated replays. Plays occur at a high rate of speed. Decisions on the field must be made instantaneously. The training and experience of officials at this level enable them to work at a high degree of accuracy. Unfortunately, at the critical moment of this game errors were made," Hansen stated.

"Further, the instant replay official is limited to the views of any play which is made available and must make a timely decision, although on the kickoff play ample views were available," he concluded.

BS!!

I can accept that officiating isn't easy, but to say it's difficult for that play to be reviewed is unbelievable. Everyone watching that game at home knew the right answer before they announced it incorrectly. The replay official can replay it the way he wants to in order to make the right call.....and it was an easy call for everyone else.

What was a terrible call (but maybe forgivable) for the on field officials was to assume the ball was dead simply because they couldn't see it anymore, even though AP was walking away with it.

Jello Biafra
9/18/2006, 05:43 PM
it's official, we are 2 and O. our bye week is over and now its time to beat the **** out of those arrogant blue raiders and on to texas. it was all a bad dream and now we are awake.

seriously, does this mean they just wipe the slate and oregon forfeits the game or what?

SoonerHawk
9/18/2006, 05:44 PM
Who care how long they are suspended!?!?! I don't care if these guys get to call another game in the PAC 10. All I care about is they admit they were wrong and this is an admission that they called the game wrong. This is way more than we got for the Tech game. I have to give props to the PAC 10 for actually admitting fault. You know they could've done what the Big 12 did with the Tech game and just said the calls were right.

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 05:50 PM
It's totally different when it's an inter-conference matchup. The Pac-10 has to do this to (try to) erase any perception of bias on their part. Plus, this game was in the national spotlight, nobody outside of Norman cared about the calls in the Tech game. The Pac-10 couldn't just sweep this under the rug like the Big XII could last year.

In my opinion, the Pac-10 isn't doing anything that they didn't practically have to do.

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 05:51 PM
Who care how long they are suspended!?!?! I don't care if these guys get to call another game in the PAC 10. All I care about is they admit they were wrong and this is an admission that they called the game wrong. This is way more than we got for the Tech game. I have to give props to the PAC 10 for actually admitting fault. You know they could've done what the Big 12 did with the Tech game and just said the calls were right.

Unless they are trying to cover up more and want to end the situation right here. Maybe the Big 12 guys were just dumb asses.

Jello Biafra
9/18/2006, 05:58 PM
Unless they are trying to cover up more and want to end the situation right here. Maybe the Big 12 guys were just dumb asses.

o they had plenty to cover up... late hits on Thompson, at the end of the game, the clock was seriously out of whack as in the play would be whistled dead and the clock would tick two more seconds off etc..... o yeh and did anyone happen to notice how many times alexander was pancacked? i saw at least three times. you will not have a 300 lb lineman pancacke alexander while he is running away from you without holding. not a single call that i can remember. in my opininion, the entire game was poorly called. nearly EVERY series had a major infraction of some sort. call it poor discipline if you will but if the referee looks hard enough at EVERY play, there will be a penalty.

donutello
9/18/2006, 06:03 PM
It's totally different when it's an inter-conference matchup. The Pac-10 has to do this to (try to) erase any perception of bias on their part. Plus, this game was in the national spotlight, nobody outside of Norman cared about the calls in the Tech game. The Pac-10 couldn't just sweep this under the rug like the Big XII could last year.

In my opinion, the Pac-10 isn't doing anything that they didn't practically have to do.

If the NFL could say there were no mistakes made during the Superbowl, the Pac-10 could certainly say the same about this game. No other conference that I recall has ever admitted that incorrect calls were made that affected the outcome of a game. How about at least giving them some credit for being the first to do so?

mdklatt
9/18/2006, 06:12 PM
No other conference that I recall has ever admitted that incorrect calls were made that affected the outcome of a game. How about at least giving them some credit for being the first to do so?

Right. With all the excuses availble to them ("indisputable evidence", etc.), for the Pac-10 to admit any fault much less one that effected the outcome of the game is a huge deal, even if it's unsatisfying to us.

I wonder if we'll be handled with kid gloves by officials for the rest of the season? What effect will this have on non-con teams playing at a Pac-10 stadium?

fadada1
9/18/2006, 06:15 PM
the appology was a nice touch.

but the one game suspension???? i'll take that and swift kick in the nuts and have a happy f-ing day!!!! thanks PAC10. you have solidified your place in the halls of *****dom.

(can i say that??)

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2006, 06:17 PM
What a bunch of crap; if any of us screwed up at our job that badly and potentially cost either the company or a partner millions of dollars, our asses would have been out the door for good:mad: :mad: :mad:

TUSooner
9/18/2006, 06:18 PM
I'm with those who say we should be grateful they even 'fessed up and admitted the refs blundred away the game. What more could you really expect? I figured they'd waffle and prevaricate and never admit they botched it. The Call itself is now history. NOBODY can say we weren't robbed. OK?
Now let's admit our team has work to do and room to improve, and then let's whip up on Middle West Tennessee East A&M State Tech !!

JohnnyMack
9/18/2006, 06:20 PM
(can i say that??)

Ehhhhh, what the hell. Why not.

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2006, 06:22 PM
I'm with those who say we should be grateful they even 'fessed up and admitted the refs blundred away the game. What more could you really expect? I figured they'd waffle and prevaricate and never admit they botched it. The Call itself is now history. NOBODY can say we weren't robbed. OK?
Now let's admit our team has work to do and room to improve, and then let's whip up on Middle West Tennessee East A&M State Tech !!
Well hell, what else could they do? This one wasn't even close, unlike the Texas Tech fiasco last season; the Pac 10 would have lost whatever shred of credibility they have(admittedly not much) if they hadn't stepped up and said what they said

PAW
9/18/2006, 07:00 PM
(duplicate)

This was posted on that Oregon live site that had the poll:

word is that the poor old ba$$tard in the booth never saw the replay and the field guys were telling him to make a call. Someone pulled the plug or someone f'ed up big time. in any event, he never saw it. This will be coming out in the AM or it could be out tonight. Read the paper tomorrow. This is gonna get jerry springer like.

Wow, if true. They'd need more than one game for that farce.

SouthernCal92
9/18/2006, 07:02 PM
I'd like to chime in and say you guys have been jobbed and witnessed first-hand the crappy officiating that IS Pac-Ten football. These guys should all be forced to fly to Norman for a public flogging. Sorry you had to experience it. Shameful crap.

Oh, and to the BYU guy -- don't kid yourself, your team is football vomit.

Getem
9/18/2006, 07:05 PM
I can accept this. But only if they call them to the carpet in public and have them explain their thought process in awarding Oregon the ball. I specifically want the replay official to use a laser pointer on a big screen and show us where he saw "conclusive evidence that a player from the receiving team touched the ball".

badger
9/18/2006, 07:10 PM
at least they did something.

jrsooner
9/18/2006, 07:12 PM
Now let's admit our team has work to do and room to improve, and then let's whip up on Middle West Tennessee East A&M State Tech !!Agreed. It still stinks that this loss counts against us in the BCS formula, if I recall correctly. There's not much more that can be said on the matter. At least the confessed they screwed up. I'd love to see the NCAA state, because of the "extraordinary" circumstances that this loss won't count against us in the BCS formulas.

oumartin
9/18/2006, 07:16 PM
Look, its more nuts than the big 12 has. they acknowledged they cost us the game. the pac 10 may be as soft as the pac 10 defenses but its not as soft as the big 12 which may be as soft as OU's defense right now.

TopDawg
9/18/2006, 07:16 PM
If the NFL could say there were no mistakes made during the Superbowl, the Pac-10 could certainly say the same about this game. No other conference that I recall has ever admitted that incorrect calls were made that affected the outcome of a game. How about at least giving them some credit for being the first to do so?

Again, it's a different situation. If the NFL had AFC and NFC officials and the AFC officials had made a controversial call in the Super Bowl that helped decide the outcome, you can bet your bottom dollar that something like this would happen.

The Pac-10 is doing nothing more than what can reasonably be expected. The apology is nice and the suspension is, essentially, just a wink and a nudge.

Sure, this kind of thing (an apology) may have never happened before. But when was the last time a string of mistakes this big were so obviously, blatantly and incomprehensibly made? And when was the last time the officials had a chance to overturn the blatant mistakes by looking at clear video of said blatant mistakes and still did not correct the blatant mistakes? As far as I can remember, that also has never happened.

Both of these things are unprecedented and, in my opinion, the Pac-10 has set a pretty weak example for how to handle these situations in the future.

SoonerDood
9/18/2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for sticking up for us, Kevin Weiberg! Why I actually expected you to grow a pair and stand up for something. What was I thinking? You are even worse than Bud Selig.

ruf/nekdad
9/18/2006, 08:42 PM
The apology and supension were all well and good. But what about the millions the Big 12 could lose if OU doesn't make it to a BCS game because of the loss? OK, Ok, I know, move along. This is me moving along.

Miko
9/18/2006, 08:50 PM
I still want this, posted in a different thread:

I liked Boren's response as reported in The Oklahoman today. I hope the university and the conference push hard and I hope they prevail in getting all of their requests met.

I do not consider these actions to be "taking the low road".

However, I feel it would not hurt to have some additional demands that can be used as "throw aways" to get the others met.

I suggest that Boren fire off another letter adding these demands:

The assets of the officiating crew be frozen unter the RICO act.
The replay official be detained for an unspecified period of time in Gitmo.
Oregon will pay The University of Oklahoma all of its bowl appearance money for the next ten years as compensation.
Oregon University will face probation in which it will be forced to wear monochrome gray uniforms for the next decade.
Oregon University will be forced by the NCAA to wear KSwiss shoes and apparell in all sports for the next decade.
All PAC-10 teams will wear "We Suck" decals prominently displaid on their football helmets for the remainder of the season.
Oregon will be forced to kick after any score by either team in the final three minutes of any football game for the next two years.
All PAC-10 teams will be forced to kick after any score by either team in the final three minutes of any non-conference football game for the next two years.
The endzones of all PAC-10 stadiums will be painted with a large apology to the University of Oklahoma for the remainder of the season, Oregon's in perpetuity

Jewstin
9/18/2006, 09:50 PM
word is that the poor old ba$$tard in the booth never saw the replay and the field guys were telling him to make a call. Someone pulled the plug or someone f'ed up big time. in any event, he never saw it. This will be coming out in the AM or it could be out tonight. Read the paper tomorrow. This is gonna get jerry springer like.

Yowza. That's pretty big if that's true.

FlatheadSooner
9/18/2006, 10:08 PM
Quote:

Well..............that could explain a lot. :mad:

Geaux4LSU
9/19/2006, 01:48 AM
i used to think apology's after a team was screwed were worthless but its better then what LSU got from the SEC office which was an "we were the only ones to see the play and think it was the correct call" line of BS.

take what you can get, wont change anything but its better then having your intelligence insulted by an outright denial.