PDA

View Full Version : Season Outlook-post oregon!!

Collier11
9/18/2006, 04:11 PM
Whatever side you are on, us not executing or pac 10 refs screwing us, the fact is that its time to move on and try to win the big 12. In all honesty, I feel alot better about this team now than I have in over a year. Our offense is executing, yea we had a bad first have but we dominated Oregon on their home fielf by the tune of 33-10 for about 51 some odd minutes. Our D although giving up alot of yard, forced several turnovers and made several key stops before the final 2 minute fiasco. There are obviously still areas of concern like false starts, bad d-line play, and bad run blocking in the first half, but at this time last year I was wondering how we could win out and doubting if it was possible, this time this year, I feel completely opposite. I feel that we ARE the best big 12 team aside from texas and we might even be better than they are if we start executing better in the first half. I see alot of up-side and I am actually really excited about the possiblities of this season, what do you fellas think??

Big Red Ron
9/18/2006, 04:14 PM
Couldn't you have added this drivel to the 100 sumthin' OU/UO threads? ;)

I'm with ya man!

This team would kick teh carp out of last years team.

I think this team is Big XII Champion material.

KaiserSooner
9/18/2006, 04:18 PM
Hate to break up the sunshine pumpin' but the D needs to step it up several gargantuan notches.

Collier11
9/18/2006, 04:21 PM
Couldn't you have added this drivel to the 100 sumthin' OU/UO threads? ;)

Ya I could have but I really wanted to **** off dean ;)
Actually I just figured if I stuck this on the end of some "the end of the world" thread then it wouldnt have been noticed and I am truly interested in how others feel about our team at this point :D

Big Red Ron
9/18/2006, 04:46 PM
Actually I just figured if I stuck this on the end of some "the end of the world" thread then it wouldnt have been noticed and I am truly interested in how others feel about our team at this point :D:D

:pop:

stoopified
9/18/2006, 05:02 PM
If the so-called experts are right and there are no unbeaten teams at the end of the season,we could STILL have a shot at the NC.The path being to beat UT and go to the Big 12 title game and beat AIR CORN or whomever else is there.

The key of course
is to turn around the worst defense in my memory which for a full season that dubious honor has to go to Blake teams in '96 and '97.The scary part is that unchecked we are headed in that direction.Maybe I am just an incurable optimist but I cannot help but think that we have the talent and coaches to do just that.

What specifically do we need to do to get beeter?Forwhaever its worth here is my thinking.In the week leading up to MTSU and also in the two weeks we have after that befor UT push all our players harder then the've been pushed all-season.A more modern and less psychotic Junction-style practice approach.Physical practices emphazing blocking and tackling .Yes ENA and AD would have to be afforded protection,but AP,Gute,Bradford,and Halzle would ALL be live targets as would Madu,Brown,and wrs like Chaney,Higgins,Strong,Johnson.I think Kelly is in the same league as a difference maker as AD and ENA and should be protected.Find out who REALLY wants to play.

That may sound desperate,extreme and maybe even foolish but deperate times call for desperate measures.When your D is ranked around 97th out of 119 or so teams,drastic action is needed.

Another suggestion is to decide if we are playing our best 11 on D.We are rotating 4-5 DE's,4 DTs,multiple corners and safeties.I wonder are we trying to play TOO MANY players on D ?Is it a coincidence that our offense is playing much better than anticipated with minimum subs?

IMHO we are doing very well on offense,execution-wise.Our special teams have been among the best in the country.Punt and kick returns are outstanding,coverages are stingy and hard-hitting .Our punting has gone froma concern to a weapon with Cohen and with the exception of two kicks out of bounds Hartley has been all we could ask.All that leaves is the defense and I think that Bob and our coaches are proven D coaches although maybe Bob needs to be more hands on,given our aformentioned struggles.

If you can trust the so-called experts the talent is there to do the job.Guys like Lofton,LattnerAlexander,Granger,McCoy,Smith,Clayto n.Birdine,Dotson,AhYou,Walker were all blue-chippers and are still considered capable by the coaching staff.Maybe they DO need to be pushed HARD to reach their potential.Well thats all I got.

8timechamps
9/18/2006, 05:06 PM
Texas may be in some trouble on offense, Tech is haveing a sub-Leach year, and A&M just ins't very good.

We are the best team in the Big XII, and we need to quiet the Husker fans in teh BigXII CCG.

IronSooner
9/18/2006, 05:55 PM
Once again it's going to come down to OU and texas. We've got a fair shot at it, but our defense has to improve. Right now they're BAD. Our offense is looking much better than I'd expected, and if we can get our OL to mature, cut out the stupid penalties, and get off the ball consistently, our O will be fine.

CU is out of it, A&M probably is too, Baylor doesn't stand a great shot, KSU and KU will suck, TTech doesn't look great, and oSu will be oSu. It's going to come down to OU and tx in the south and NU and MU in the north.

C&CDean
9/18/2006, 05:58 PM
Actually I just figured if I stuck this on the end of some "the end of the world" thread then it wouldnt have been noticed and I am truly interested in how others feel about our team at this point :D

Nah, I ain't ****ed. The thread ain't about that game, it's about the future. So, you're cool. Besides, we've had sex, so that gives you some points.

TripleOption14
9/18/2006, 06:19 PM
If ANY good can come out of all this I hope its this. I hope this team starts playing with a MAJOR chip on its shoulder!!!! Furthermore, i hope Venables has gotten ticked about the D and is scheming as we speak!! The us against the world attitude could be EXACTLY what this team needs!!

sooner969
9/18/2006, 06:33 PM
It's not about the schemes it's about making the same mistakes they were making in the OJ bowl but to add to it we now have a DL that is subpar. Even with that I still think there is a distinct possiblity they'll be playing in the Big XII championship game if they can start and finish a game and Texass gives them as many gifts as Oregon did. I'm looking forward to seeing how they react to playing the Whorns.

Alabama3
9/18/2006, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, Bama fan here that just came here to see what was going on. I really like the forum.

Anyways, I think yall still win division. After a game like this most teams either come out fire up or flat. Think yall will come out on fire. Hope season goes well.

Crimson_Balls
9/18/2006, 07:53 PM
I think Venables needs to step up and teach our boys how to wrap up and tackle somebody. Otherwise texass is going to treat us like a bunch of fat chicks.

TXBOOMER
9/18/2006, 09:58 PM
All I know is the defense has a long way to go. But, anything can happen in a rivalry game. If we get by texass it's OUrs for the taking.

westcoast_sooner
9/18/2006, 10:34 PM
The defense REALLY needs to step up. Our offense has been better than anyone really expected, but it's DEFENSE that wins Championships, and OU Football is about winning Championships.

Eddie Money
9/18/2006, 11:20 PM
Obviously, our D requires dramatic improvement. We beat texass and I think we got the Big XII.

And if there is any justice, Oregon will go undefeated and we will meet them in the title game.