PDA

View Full Version : Bellotti--Tough to Tell

jdsooner
9/18/2006, 12:52 PM
From the Oregonian

UO has a week off to catch its breath
Saturday's win -- regardless of how it came about -- helps the Ducks move up five spots in poll
Monday, September 18, 2006
AARON FENTRESS
EUGENE -- Oregon's 34-33 win over Oklahoma on Saturday was filled with controversy, dramatics and uncommon emotion.

After the game, the Ducks (3-0) expressed hope it also would earn a measure of respect from college football observers across the nation.

"We're playing for the love and respect of all the country," receiver Jaison Williams said. "It's hard being on the West Coast because, you know, it seems like an East Coast-bias sort of system. Hopefully, this puts a steppingstone and some ground underneath our feet, and, hopefully, we can get some votes that get us into the top 10 pretty soon."

Oregon made a big leap toward the top 10, vaulting from No. 18 to No. 13 in The Associated Press poll.

Getting back into position for a Bowl Championship Series bid is this team's goal after it was somewhat snubbed last season despite a 10-1 regular season record. Defeating the Sooners (2-1) could help the Ducks' cause down the road.

"I think we just want to end up in a BCS game, especially after last year and how we got treated," Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart said.

Oregon's win, however, probably wouldn't have been possible without the benefit of questionable calls by officials late in the game. One came on an onside kick by Oregon, which trailed 33-27 with 1:06 left. Officials awarded the ball to Oregon, but replays showed that a Ducks player touched the ball before it traveled 10 yards and before a Sooners player touched it. Plus, some angles showed that Oklahoma recovered the ball. The play was reviewed on video replay, and still the ball went to the Ducks, who went on to score the winning touchdown.

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said that from the angles he viewed, it was tough to tell which player touched the ball first. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, however, has made no qualms about saying his team came out on the short end of that call.

"I see my guy stepping up inside of 10 yards to go up and gain reception, gain possession of the football," Stoops told the AP. "I see their guy go in front of him and hit the football before my guy is allowed to at 10 yards, and I see him collide with my guy inside of 10 yards as well,"

"That's illegal touching and interfering with the reception. And then I see my guy get up with the football that's laying on the ground."

Verle Sorgen, the Pacific-10 Conference's coordinator of football officiating, planned to review tape of the game Sunday night and make a statement today, associate commissioner Jim Muldoon said.

Whether the officials missed the call won't change the outcome, and Oregon will move on with the big win under its belt.

"Anytime you beat a top 20, undefeated team, it's great for your program," Bellotti said.

FaninAma
9/18/2006, 12:56 PM
What a classless @$$. Hey Mike, you jackass. A tainted victory is not a great win.

Landthief 1972
9/18/2006, 12:57 PM
Belotti sounds like that SNL character Jon Lovitz used to do...

"It was tough to tell which player touched the ball first... uh, yeah, that's the ticket! Really! Just ask Claudia Schiffer... whom I've slept with! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

In fact, I'd love to sit him down with the video ESPN is hosting and watch him try to stammer out some excuse of how it was tough to call.

soonerinabilene
9/18/2006, 12:58 PM
so the oregon players think there is a east coast bias?? wtf??

sooneron
9/18/2006, 12:59 PM
I really didn't expect anything honorable out of his mouth.

toast
9/18/2006, 01:01 PM
"Anytime you escape a top 20, undefeated team, with the benefit of horrible officiating it's great for your program," Bellotti said.

fixed

jdsooner
9/18/2006, 01:02 PM
This will make you ANGRY:

Controversial call: Oregon's comeback was made possible by an onside kick that was reviewed by officials. Replays appeared to reveal that Oregon touched the ball first and before it traveled the required 10 yards. Another angle appeared to show that an Oklahoma player recovered the ball anyway. The review upheld the original call, and Oregon got the ball and scored the winning touchdown two plays later.

National television shows and the announcers on ABC's broadcast, including former Ducks quarterback Dan Fouts, said officials got the call wrong.

UO coach Mike Bellotti said he wouldn't allow any controversy to taint the win.

"We ignore it and move on," Bellotti said.

Bellotti did say, however, that he would feel bad if it were proved to have been a poor call. He also said that he wouldn't want to win a game that way. But, he said, such events have a tendency to even themselves out, and Oregon has been on the wrong side of controversial calls .

"It still can't take away the effort and the will of our players," Bellotti said.

gnostic19
9/18/2006, 01:11 PM
Glad i don't judge my team's success on the ability to beat top 20, undefeated teams...especially when they are undefeated after 2 GAMES!

OUDoc
9/18/2006, 01:13 PM
He's a loser. Screw him.

Landthief 1972
9/18/2006, 01:23 PM
Bellotti did say, however, that he would feel bad if it were proved to have been a poor call. He also said that he wouldn't want to win a game that way.

Great, so when can we expect you to contact the NCAA about reversing that score, Mike?

I didn't think so.

I can tell you feel really bad, Mike. The way you've been strutting around the media bragging on your big win just screams sackcloth and ashes. (bible reference for all you heathens/Oregoon fans).

soonerlaw
9/18/2006, 02:20 PM
"I think we just want to end up in a BCS game, especially after last year and how we got treated," Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart said.

- Does he mean getting beat by OU in the Holiday Bowl.. Yeah, that really showed they belong in a BCS game.

sooner969
9/18/2006, 03:32 PM
This guy is a ****ing tool. He deserves to be stuck at Oregon.

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2006, 06:07 PM
Bellotti should grow a sack and admit the win was tainted by blown calls; what a no class tool

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 06:15 PM
I'm glad Bob had never said anything other people might interpret this negatively

A team shouldn't play for the national championship if they didn't win their conference

oops.

It's amazing how hypocritcal anger can make you.

Readyfor8
9/18/2006, 06:18 PM
I'm glad Bob had never said anything other people might interpret this negatively

oops.

It's amazing how hypocritcal anger can make you.

You are a giant asshat. And I bet you know it to.

Keep this stuff to yourself SaS

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 06:28 PM
You are a giant asshat. And I bet you know it to.

Keep this stuff to yourself SaS
hey......keep holding other coaches and programs to a higher standard than our own. Talk about honor.

When they get in trouble, they're a thug. When our guy gets in trouble, he's misunderstood or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some of you got crimson glasses coke bottle thick.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/18/2006, 06:41 PM
hey......keep holding other coaches and programs to a higher standard than our own. Talk about honor.

When they get in trouble, they're a thug. When our guy gets in trouble, he's misunderstood or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/public/pictures/thumbs/SG6312.jpg

:D

The Maestro
9/18/2006, 06:44 PM
Hey, Belotti...even sounds like damn mobster name...your conference commish thought he'd help you out with the calls...

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said. "Game officials and replay officials have positions of great responsibility and must be accountable for their actions."

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, Coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

Any more questions, Belloti?

Readyfor8
9/18/2006, 06:52 PM

I'm all for being objective as a fan, but you are calling out our head coach after we got jobbed, in a thread about the other coach not owning up to us getting jobbed.

I didn't say you weren't right that everyone has said something they wish they hadn't or benifited when they shouldn't have. I said your an asshat and to bring this up at this time is not only inappropriate, it's downright classless and insensitive.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 06:54 PM
yeah.......it's horrible to bring up honor and accountability when people are screaming about honor and accountability.

call me an asshat a few more times........you'll feel better.