PDA

View Full Version : A rule question...

TMcGee86
9/18/2006, 11:49 AM
I am quite certain that you can call for a fair catch on a kickoff.

Therefore, with the prevelance of the high, short, onside kicks, could coaches tell their front guys to all simultaneously call for a fair catch and then whoever happens to be under the ball to just wait to either get lit up illegally or catch the ball easily.

So, is it illegal for multiple people to call for a fair catch?

Because I would think that would be a pretty sweet way to combat them just lining up and leveling the front line guys trying to catch the ball.

sooner_born_1960
9/18/2006, 11:56 AM
Not sure, but I think if the ball hits the ground, the fair catch is off.

SelmaBamaFan
9/18/2006, 11:58 AM
Yep, cant call a fair catch after the ball hits the ground.

If they tried one of those 10-15 yard sky kicks, then you can most certainly call a fair catch.

sooner_born_1960
9/18/2006, 12:00 PM
Yep, cant call a fair catch after the ball hits the ground.

If they tried one of those 10-15 yard sky kicks, then you can most certainly call a fair catch.
And most do.

achiro
9/18/2006, 12:11 PM
Wy not get some big-o-boys as a front tier and then your hands guys just behind. The big-o-boys just block the kicking team long enough to let the hands guys either catch it or let it roll out of bounds?

Just wondering out loud here, have no idea if its good, bad, or otherwise.

TMcGee86
9/18/2006, 12:29 PM

Ahhhhh, good call. I forget that that kick is accomplished like that.

My bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

TMcGee86
9/18/2006, 12:31 PM
Wy not get some big-o-boys as a front tier and then your hands guys just behind. The big-o-boys just block the kicking team long enough to let the hands guys either catch it or let it roll out of bounds?

Just wondering out loud here, have no idea if its good, bad, or otherwise.

Yeah I thought of that as well. Just line up a group of linemen, and tell them to take off as soon as the ball is kicked and level everyone in site.

Not sure on the legality of that as well, and I guess if they see your linemen they adjust their kick to compensate, but still an idea.

MiccoMacey
9/18/2006, 12:35 PM

I would think that if you're fair-catching the ball, the opposing team can't hit you, therefore the ball in question would never hit the ground.

Apparently, you can't fair-catch the ball or every coach in the land would opt to do just that on an on-side kick.

Hamhock
9/18/2006, 12:40 PM
I would think that if you're fair-catching the ball, the opposing team can't hit you, therefore the ball in question would never hit the ground.

i think most on-side kicks touch the ground long before reaching the receiving team.

SelmaBamaFan
9/18/2006, 12:40 PM
... but on an on-side kick, the ball is kicked straight into the ground.