PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam ?

olevetonahill
9/18/2006, 12:38 AM
I recieved this email and was a lilttle worried about my paypal
till i realised , this came to my yahoo addy and i use my alltel addy for paypal

From: "PayPal" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Your PayPal account has been SUSPENDED!
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:44:07 +0300

Dear valued PayPal member:

We have noticed several attempts of fraud. Seems like somebody tried to hack into your account. Your account requires URGENT attention. You are able to log into your account but all your payments are suspended untill you update your personal information. Identity protection matters. And PayPal works day and night to help keep your identity safe. That's why it has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To login to your PayPal account and update your records click on the following personal PayPal link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounts Management will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements, as outlined in our User Agreement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United States as an electronic money institution.

PayPal Email ID PP359

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 12:40 AM
shhhhhhh........just click it.

I'm in a hurry.

OCUDad
9/18/2006, 12:41 AM
Vet: That is a prime example of "phishing," or trolling for personal information. If you haven't already deleted the message, forward it to [email protected]. And then delete it. If you want to make any changes to your Paypal account, log in to Paypal directly (not from some e-mail link). Or just mail all your money directly to SAS.

Vaevictis
9/18/2006, 12:44 AM
Impossible to tell unless you post the email source. If they sent it to you as HTML, it's possible that they've done some link-hiding stuff in that link they sent you that wouldn't necessarily reflect when you cut and pasted it here.

When in doubt, assume it's a scam. Even when you don't doubt it, ASSUME IT'S A SCAM.

As a general rule, account maintainers aren't going to email you/call you to ask for such account information (for this very reason), and when they do, you should email/call them back at an address/phone number you have previously verified.

Ike
9/18/2006, 12:45 AM
Vet: what dad said. scam.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 12:46 AM
apparently none of you need supplemental income.

:mad:

olevetonahill
9/18/2006, 12:47 AM
Vet: That is a prime example of "phishing," or trolling for personal information. If you haven't already deleted the message, forward it to [email protected]. And then delete it. If you want to make any changes to your Paypal account, log in to Paypal directly (not from some e-mail link). Or just mail all your money directly to SAS.
thats what i thought , sas aint getting my few bucks lol.
i did click on the link then closed it . it looked legit , but i figure paypal would use my addy that im registered with . had already started the thread when i figured that out . im kinda slow that way , but it also might help others to know . thanks for the addy ,its on the way to em

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I got a few of those the other day posing as e-mails from my bank. They were idiots, though and didn't even mask the e-mail addy. I mean, when the e-mail is coming from [email protected] or nameofmybank.biz it's pretty obviously a scam. My bank uses .com addys, and there were several other things that weren't right.

Ike
9/18/2006, 12:53 AM
thats what i thought , sas aint getting my few bucks lol.
i did click on the link then closed it . it looked legit , but i figure paypal would use my addy that im registered with . had already started the thread when i figured that out . im kinda slow that way , but it also might help others to know . thanks for the addy ,its on the way to em

vet, for future use, with emails that you think may be a scam, sometimes even clicking the link can be dangerous. If your patches aren't up to date and you are using IE, its possible the site it takes you to can install a virus (so run a virus checker soon) or a keystroke logger or something equally nefarious. And if that isn't the case, it is also possible that the site may just register that you clicked the link, confirming that your email address is valid, so that they know to send you more scam emails in the future.

so, in the future, I'd recommend not even clicking the links.

olevetonahill
9/18/2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks dad and the rest , well except sas :P
I forwarded to spoof and already got an reply said it was definately a scam and if i had given em any info to log in to paypal and change my **** right now lol. i didnt just checked to see if it looked legit now i guess i gotta run a virus scan :mad: bastages
thanks again for the help :cool:
i knew i could count on the so to give smart answers and smartass answers :D :D :D :D :D

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 01:05 AM
my kid needs braces you cheapskate.

OCUDad
9/18/2006, 01:06 AM
If someone can start a thread asking for donations for an iPod, you can start one asking for donations to a "straight teef" fund. Slacker.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 01:08 AM
If someone can start a thread asking for donations for an iPod, you can start one asking for donations to a "straight teef" fund. Slacker.
I wont take handouts.

Legitimate fraud is way more honorable.

Blue
9/18/2006, 01:09 AM
my kid needs braces you cheapskate.

He's right. I do.

http://www.lakshdeep.com/smile5.jpg

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 01:11 AM
He's right. I do.

did granny forget to lock the basement door again?

olevetonahill
9/18/2006, 01:30 AM
He's right. I do.

http://www.lakshdeep.com/smile5.jpg
braces aint gonna help that mess
just pop that kid with a 22 and put em out of my misery ;)