PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Defensive Trends since 2000

TrophyCollector
9/17/2006, 11:18 PM
For any of those who think the defense hasn't dropped off since Mike Stoops left. We've held the line on rushing yards per game until this season, but in every other stat we have gotten worse and worse since 2003 and 2006 is shaping up to be off the charts.

I'm not saying BV is doing anything wrong or failing to do anything right, but he's the HMFIC and the buck should stop at his desk.

Passing Defense:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shauntune2/passDypg.JPG

Rushing Defense:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shauntune2/rushDypg.JPG

Total Defense:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shauntune2/totalDypg.JPG

Scoring Defense:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shauntune2/scoringDppg.JPG

Forced Turnovers:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shauntune2/turnovers.JPG

Snrfn4ever08
9/17/2006, 11:20 PM
That's some great stuff, I applaud you and I totally agree.

TrophyCollector
9/17/2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks, I'll keep them up the rest of the season and see if it gets any better. But right now, we are going to need a couple of shutouts just to stay on pace with last year's D.

Vaevictis
9/17/2006, 11:49 PM
Know anything about statistical analysis? Those data points alone don't say much.

I'm thinking a significance test and/or a graph charting the deviation from the mean (with standard deviations shown) would be instructive. You'd have to go game by game to get enough samples though.

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 11:52 PM
We need flowcharts, and we need them ASAP.

Powerpoint presentation preferred. ;)

I do like the graphs, though. We've definitely seen a drop-off, but that doesn't indicate whether or not it was a result of M. Stoops leaving or a recent lack of talent. I think it's certainly a combination of the two.

Anyways, we had some special, special players on those squads. I think, as a result, we've all been a bit spoiled.

TrophyCollector
9/17/2006, 11:54 PM
Know anything about statistical analysis? Those data points alone don't say much.

Other than the fact than they do show that the defense has given up more points and more yards and forced less turnovers the past few seasons, I fully agree with your asshat nerd stat comments.

Vaevictis
9/18/2006, 12:06 AM
Other than the fact than they do show that the defense has given up more points and more yards and forced less turnovers the past few seasons

In other news, water is wet.

I fully agree with your asshat nerd stat comments.

Wow, touchy. You need a candy bar to bring the blood sugar up or something? :)

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 12:12 AM
Wow, touchy. You need a candy bar to bring the blood sugar up or something? :)

Nah, just another beer. Just trying to point out that I wasn't claiming to be the master of statistical analysis. Just my simple ole graphs to show that the Sooner D isn't what it used to be.

Ike
9/18/2006, 12:14 AM

I'm thinking a significance test and/or a graph charting the deviation from the mean (with standard deviations shown) would be instructive. You'd have to go game by game to get enough samples though.

assuming sqrt(n) errors, the data are consistent with statistical fluctuation....except perhaps for the last point maybe.

Vaevictis
9/18/2006, 12:17 AM
Nah, just another beer. Just trying to point out that I wasn't claiming to be the master of statistical analysis. Just my simple ole graphs to show that the Sooner D isn't what it used to be.

Hey, I wasn't meaning to rain on your parade, or anything. Was just being lazy and asking for more data ;)

(I think you misunderstood the intent of my statement: It wasn't "Gee, don't you know ANYTHING about statistics?" It was more of, "Do you know anything about statistical analysis? Can you provide more information?")

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 12:22 AM
Heh. I look at those and think "crap, I miss our 2001 D." Then I think "good god, I'm glad we don't have to suffer through the 2001 O."

Eddie Money
9/18/2006, 12:33 AM
I think when I see UAB busting us in the mouth and moving up and down the field as they please, that is all the analysis I need. But great work on the charts, TC.

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 12:38 AM
I think when I see UAB busting us in the mouth and moving up and down the field as they please, that is all the analysis I need.

Good point, being ranked 97th in the nation in D also makes it pretty clear. Lots of folks want to give BV a pass, but if he worked for me - he'd be on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) right now.

TrophyCollector
9/18/2006, 12:42 AM
Heh. I look at those and think "crap, I miss our 2001 D." Then I think "good god, I'm glad we don't have to suffer through the 2001 O."

Don't get too excited, this year's offense so far is only better by about 35 yards per game and if you go by scoring, the 2001 offense has this year's team by a point.

Egeo
9/18/2006, 12:53 AM
Don't get too excited, this year's offense so far is only better by about 35 yards per game and if you go by scoring, the 2001 offense has this year's team by a point.
that offense was getting the ball back thanks to repeated 3 and outs by our opponents