PDA

View Full Version : Joe C. Speaks

Sooner-N-KS
9/17/2006, 06:55 PM
This is from SoonerSports: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=609897

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma Athletics Director Joe Castiglione confirmed Sunday that the OU Athletics Department is seeking a comprehensive review of specific officiating calls and the use of instant replay during last Saturday's game at Oregon.

He issued the following statement outlining OU's reaction:

“The University of Oklahoma has taken immediate steps to follow Big 12 Conference procedures in officially requesting a comprehensive review of specific officiating decisions and use of instant replay during Saturday’s Football game against the University of Oregon.

"The game officials were assigned by the Pac-10 Conference and we believe this situation will be properly handled and analyzed by the Pac-10 and then communicated back through our conference office.

“There should be no mistaking our very serious concerns about the events that transpired and the energy we will exert in voicing those concerns.

"At the same time we need to make clear several other points. First of all, this action should not take any focus away from the extraordinary effort displayed by the student-athletes of both the University of Oklahoma and the University of Oregon. It was a very exciting game and both coaching staffs had their players well prepared.

"Secondly, we fully understand the outcome of the game is irreversible, regardless of the decisions made in regards to the grievance. Therefore, we are moving on in preparation for our upcoming game. We congratulate Oregon on its victory in this hard-fought contest.”

I don't like how he gives up on protesting the game. The officiating made the entire game outcome a farse. It isn't just that an official made a bad call. Whoever made the final decision is inept and possibly biased.

noobalicious
9/17/2006, 06:59 PM
Stoops and Joe C basically said what I expected. They're ****ed but they have to look professional. We're ****ed but we have the luxury of being able to vent!

At least in a polite sort-of-way they are saying screw you to the officials!

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 07:01 PM
same old PC crap,

Hey I think we got screwed, but please don't take this as a sign of being angy, because I fully understand the value of getting screwed, not that I'd be to upset if we got screwed, so please don't take it the wrong way.

BS he should be up in freakin arms

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 07:03 PM
“There should be no mistaking our very serious concerns about the events that transpired and the energy we will exert in voicing those concerns.

It doesn't sound like they're giving up on anything. There is no way in hell that the PAC10 or the NCAA is going to reverse the game's outcome, if that's what you're thinking. It was never a consideration.

arizwebfoot
9/17/2006, 07:04 PM
I'll say it again, as a Duck Fan, you guys got screwed, hard and dry and without the benefit of some KY to ease the pain.

In no way would I ever want a game - any game - to end like that abortion in the guise of a game I saw yesterday.

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 07:13 PM
I've always loved how the NCAA (or any professional entity) immediately fines anyone who calls into question the integrity or ruling of a game. It's like working for a company and receiving a salary dock anytime you question upper management.

Gimme a break. The NCAA is just another entertainment organization nowadays.

That's the only reason Stoops and Joe C aren't behaving like ravenous beasts over this outrage.

The Maestro
9/17/2006, 07:18 PM
Well, he started out good, but then he came back too PC. Basic summation...

The officiating sucked and we want to be heard but we don't really expect anything to happen...oh, and good game, Oregon.

Why can't the damn outcome be overturned?

jbstrick
9/17/2006, 07:23 PM
don't like how he gives up on protesting the game.

Ok. What should he do? Stomp his feet and scream? Understand, even though this is sports, it is also a diplomatic problem as well.

snp
9/17/2006, 07:35 PM
Typical.

OU Adonis
9/17/2006, 07:38 PM
If someone screwed you out of potential hundereds of thousands of dollars, would you still want to be PC about it?

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 07:38 PM
It's not diplomatic, because you're dealing with the NCAA, a veritable dictator in the matter. If you question them publically and too harshly, they fine you for speaking out against the entity, no matter how right you are.

I guess it's neither here nor there. This argument goes way deeper than just the behavior of Stoops and Castiglione. The NCAA is a whacky, whacky organization.

I think Joe C. did the most that he could have done ... anything less, too soft. Anything more, too harsh.

Of course I'd like to see him come out, guns a blazin' ... but I'm also still emotional from the loss. You never know -- this could be the fuel that rockets this team to play to the level we all know they can. And with a bit of luck around the country, we might just end up in that national championship game anyways.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 07:39 PM
Okay, I'm going to ruffle some feathers now. I've listened to this for two straight days now. If Joe C. and/or Stoops did what half the retards on this site wanted, then all they'd accomplish is looking like half the retards on this site.

Not everything can be solved by ranting and raving and acting like spoiled, stupid, little school kids.

And it doesn't just apply to this thread.

There, I said it. Neg Spek away if you fit into the above catagory.

sanantoniosooner
9/17/2006, 07:44 PM
Okay, I'm going to ruffle some feathers now. I've listened to this for two straight days now. If Joe C. and/or Stoops did what half the retards on this site wanted, then all they'd accomplish is looking like half the retards on this site.

Not everything can be solved by ranting and raving and acting like spoiled, stupid, little school kids.

And it doesn't just apply to this thread.

There, I said it. Neg Spek away if you fit into the above catagory.
gets green from me

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks SAS.

LOL.

To the other person that obviously fits into the catagory I described, at least have the balls to sign it. And so you'll know, your neg spek dropped me a whopping 4 points. LMAO.

FaninAma
9/17/2006, 07:52 PM
Joe, I like you and everything but if you keep scheduling home and home series with second tier PAC 10 programs like Oregon I hope Bob Stoops beyotch slaps you.

AzianSooner
9/17/2006, 08:01 PM
There is no way the result is changed. So, officially issues a concern statement is appropriate for the instituion, fans, coaches, and players.

Thanks Joe C. for doing this for us (as a fan)

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2006, 08:06 PM

Agreed. So how does it get solved? Because this is total BS.

If this had happened before instant replay, that would be one thing. Refs are only human and make mistakes and sometimes that goes against you. I get that.

But there is NO excuse, NONE whatsoever for this, and I just can't accept that there's NOTHING that can be done. If nothing else to save other teams from the same kind of cluster f**k.

TopDawg
9/17/2006, 08:08 PM
We could always take the Alabama route and claim it as a win anyway.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 08:11 PM
Agreed. So how does it get solved? Because this is total BS.

If this had happened before instant replay, that would be one thing. Refs are only human and make mistakes and sometimes that goes against you. I get that.

But there is NO excuse, NONE whatsoever for this, and I just can't accept that there's NOTHING that can be done. If nothing else to save other teams from the same kind of cluster f**k.

It's been done. Comments from Stoops are matter of record now in the media. The media themselves are putting their own opinions out there. And now OU, as an institution, have put out a request for review.

It's now up to the NCAA and the PAC-10 to take action or not to take action. If they do take action, the most you'll see is the dismissal of that officiating crew. The least you should see (note I said "should") is a reprimand for that crew with maybe a suspension.

Anything less than this will show the entire country that neither the NCAA or the PAC10 cares what their image is, or fair play.

This is just my opinion. But I feel that is all we're gonna get.

Rogue
9/17/2006, 08:30 PM
We're not going to "see" any results involving the officiating crew. As good as it would feel, WHEN they are reprimanded it will be in private.

TopDawg
9/17/2006, 08:33 PM
I'd be happy with an explanation. I really don't care what happens to a guy, I just want him to show up at halftime of this week's game against MTSU and explain what he saw as they show the replay(s) on SoonerVision.

mikeb
9/17/2006, 08:46 PM
Is there a rule that states that they can not overturn the game?

Ash
9/17/2006, 08:58 PM
I'd be happy with an explanation. I really don't care what happens to a guy, I just want him to show up at halftime of this week's game against MTSU and explain what he saw as they show the replay(s) on SoonerVision.

I've kind of been thinking the same thing. And I don't agree with the fact that officials cannot comment on their decision making during a game to the press. If it's all on the up and up (which is the case, IMHO) then why can't they comment on it? How would that affect the integrity of the game?

I actually think it might be beneficial for both the officials and the fans. After hearing (I assume) rational explanations, most people would probably come to grips with the decisions that were made. I sometimes wonder if some of the anger that bad referring invokes is due to the fact that they are seemingly unaccountable, even when they obviously make mistakes.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 09:12 PM
I've kind of been thinking the same thing. And I don't agree with the fact that officials cannot comment on their decision making during a game to the press. If it's all on the up and up (which is the case, IMHO) then why can't they comment on it? How would that affect the integrity of the game?

I actually think it might be beneficial for both the officials and the fans. After hearing (I assume) rational explanations, most people would probably come to grips with the decisions that were made. I sometimes wonder if some of the anger that bad referring invokes is due to the fact that they are seemingly unaccountable, even when they obviously make mistakes.

I imagine they'll be doing some explaining, just not to us (the general public). If the PAC10 wants to save face at all, they'll be asking those refs a lot of questions and will want some pretty convincing explanations. I doubt they'll get any that can justify their decisions. The PAC10 will take action, or they'll face a lot of criticism.

StoopTroup
9/17/2006, 09:19 PM
Is there a rule that states that they can not overturn the game?
Based on his letter...

I'd say yes.

Ash
9/17/2006, 09:26 PM
I imagine they'll be doing some explaining, just not to us (the general public). If the PAC10 wants to save face at all, they'll be asking those refs a lot of questions and will want some pretty convincing explanations. I doubt they'll get any that can justify their decisions. The PAC10 will take action, or they'll face a lot of criticism.

No doubt. But I think this is part of what fuels frustration among fans. We are told, most likely, through press releases stated in vanilla round-about language that the ref's did some 'splaining and "appropriate action" was taken. With no more details or tangible evidence one way or another.

:cool:

yukonsooner
9/17/2006, 09:36 PM
Just because the NCAA has never overturned a game doesn't mean they can't. They are just like the government, they can do whatever they want. They can read the rules and regulations anyway they want to, whatever is to their advantage. We're waiting for the fallout from the NCAA over Bomar, but USC isn't concerned about the NCAA's possible sanctions because of Bush. There are different sets of rules depending who you are. Do any of you think that if this had been a game between USC and NU in Lincoln and Big XXII officials had made these errors that there wouldn't be an indepth investigation, and ultimately USC would have came out the winner or at least the NCAA would tell them they wouldn't count this against them in post season play? I don't see how the NCAA can hand out discipline and sanctions to universities, when they have no control over their own affairs.

mdklatt
9/17/2006, 09:37 PM
Did anybody see that delay of game we didn't called for on a third down conversion that eventually led to a touchdown?

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 09:38 PM
We probably should wait until about mid week so who ever is going to review this has a chance to ........... uh......... review it.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 09:40 PM
Did anybody see that delay of game we didn't called for on a third down conversion that led to a touchdown?

I saw it. According to someone on another site, what we saw was 0 on the clock when the ball was snapped. They explained that on the actual clock in the stadium (and I don't know this to not be true) that it was at 0.9 when it was snapped. I didn't know they used basketball clocks now. ;)

noobalicious
9/17/2006, 09:51 PM
Well so far I think everyone is expecting the Pac 10 to come out with a statement that the ruling on the field is wrong. What will we all do if they say they're right?

I'll be ****ed...I don't know what I would do but it would probably be violent lol. Not that this would change the result if they said the refs were wrong, but it will give us some sense of vindication. Hopefully they've tired of getting flooded with emails and letters...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2006, 10:13 PM
Well so far I think everyone is expecting the Pac 10 to come out with a statement that the ruling on the field is wrong. What will we all do if they say they're right?

If they do that, Tom Hansen's new nickname will be Baghdad Tom.

Most of the country has seen that the ruling was wrong. There's no way they can deny that and have any amount of credibility left.

That's not to say they won't, though.

PhilTLL
9/17/2006, 10:26 PM
The only way I could see the NCAA possibly altering the official result (which would be unprecedented and infintesimally unlikely) would be to make it a non-result, ie, we both go back to 2-0. There's no chance they change L's or W's for either team.

noobalicious
9/17/2006, 10:32 PM
The only way I could see the NCAA possibly altering the official result (which would be unprecedented and infintesimally unlikely) would be to make it a non-result, ie, we both go back to 2-0. There's no chance they change L's or W's for either team.

I think thats the best and fairest idea I've heard yet. I think nullifying the game would be a good way to keep people happy. Sure Oregon fans will complain that they didn't have that extra W, but both teams would have their records untainted. I think we at least deserve to wipe the L off our record after such a blatant blunder.

sooner969
9/17/2006, 11:42 PM
I don't think he should rant and rave but he for damn sure should call a ****ing spade a spade. The refs ****ing cheated. PERIOD. ***** footing around what they did is ridiculous. It was like the 1919 White Sox out there refing the last couple of minutes. They undermined the very reason we play the game, the very fabric of the institution. Let's just start calling this WWF volume II if the NCAA let's this slide. We can just decide beforehand who wins and not risk anyone getting hurt.

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 11:45 PM
The WWF? Yes!!

The Pac-10 will issue a statement, as presented by STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN.

"Oregon won the game ... AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, because Stone Cold said so."

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 12:05 AM
Screw the Pac 10. What is X-PAC's ruling on the call?

:les: FREE X-PAC!

Eddie Money
9/18/2006, 12:39 AM
No matter what happens, no records or results would change, but it will be nice just to hear the NCAA officially say a bad call (or several) was (or were) made.

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 12:41 AM
I'd also like for the NCAA to apologize for allowing Boise State to have that blue field.

snp
9/18/2006, 12:49 AM
I'd like an apolegy for the previous statement. That field is awesome :(

sanantoniosooner
9/18/2006, 01:02 AM
I'd like an apolegy for the previous statement. That field is awesome :(
what is that freak'n color......electric smurf?

NC_Tigah
9/18/2006, 01:07 AM
Is there a rule that states that they can not overturn the game?Actually, the NCAA is not prohibited by rule from overturning an outcome. USC's '04 team may eventually find that out. By rule the conclusion of certain circumstances can also be anticipated as in the case of an open field runner tackled by a fan being awarded a TD. Similar to the predictable circumstaces relative to your game's outcome had the kick recovery been appropriately awarded to OU. The game would have been basically over. But I'm not sure a reversal has ever been done under these circumstances.