PDA

View Full Version : Paysinger Knew He Touched the Ball First

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2006, 04:29 PM
Oregon 34, OU 33: Duck Calls: Sooners lose on disputed replays

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

9/17/2006

EUGENE, Ore. -- Clearly, video replay didn't work Saturday, and it cost Oklahoma certain victory.

Oklahoma lost Saturday's game at Oregon when officials awarded the Ducks possession of the football on an Oregon onside kick with 72 seconds to play. Video replays showed that OU actually recovered the kick.

Oregon went on to score the go-ahead touchdown with 46 seconds left, then blocked OU's field goal on the last play for a 34-33 win.

The Sooners fell behind 10-0, then led 33-20 with 3:12 to play. But Oregon capitalized on what appeared to be multiple officiating errors and an OU defensive collapse that led to two touchdowns in the span of 26 seconds.

"I can't even explain how disappointed I am," said OU running back Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 211 yards. "It's hard. It's a hard, hard loss, man."

The 15th-ranked Sooners went into Autzen Stadium on Saturday as 4 1/2-point underdogs to the 18th-ranked Ducks. But OU seized control of the game, and with three minutes to play led by 13.

That's when the mighty Ducks -- with the help of what was left of a record 59,269 rowdy, green-and-yellow clad fans and two critical officials' calls -- roared back.

Even then, it wasn't over until Garrett Hartley's 44-yard field goal attempt was blocked on the game's final play.

The Sooners (2-1) lost to the Ducks (3-0) for the first time in seven meetings.

"I noticed some people leaving (after OU took a 33-20 lead)," Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti said. "I thought, 'They're going to be really mad when we come back and win.' "

Afterward, OU's locker room was devastated.

"You're not going to come in somewhere and win a football game giving up 34 points," said OU coach Bob Stoops.

The Sooners would have won if not for the final seven points, earned on a two-play, 52-yard drive after the Pac-10 Conference officiating crew erred in awarding Oregon possession.

The onside kick wrought a series of officiating errors, followed by a botched replay review.

First, Oregon's Brian Paysinger appeared to touch the football before it had traveled the necessary 10 yards and also collided with OU's Malcolm Kelly.

"I touched it first," Paysinger said, "but I wasn't able to grab it."

Rest of Story (www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=060917_Sp_B1_Soone54672)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

noobalicious
9/17/2006, 04:30 PM
GOOD LORD! Are you sure this isn't a cooked story?

OUstud
9/17/2006, 04:31 PM
At least there's no denial amongst the players...

soonersweetie
9/17/2006, 05:08 PM
unreal, I don't think I could live with myself if I showed that much lack of character and integrity.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2006, 05:13 PM
GOOD LORD! Are you sure this isn't a cooked story?

It was also reported in this story (www.registerguard.com/news/2006/09/17/d1.sp.uofootball.0917.p1.php?section=sports), from an Oregon paper.

Flying Scotsman
9/17/2006, 05:21 PM
WTFO?!!!??

sooner518
9/17/2006, 05:52 PM
Replay angles weren't conclusive on the distance. As hands reached, which finger was first?

"Not conclusive," was the decision of officials in the press box after interminable views. So all that mattered was who recovered the football.

i love this. No, that was not the call you moron! The call was that Kelly touched it first, you dunce. But then that would blow your story out of the water wouldnt it? Im stuck in the Portland airport trying to get out of this state and all I see and hear are people drinking UO kool-aid and have no idea what theyre talking about! Get me out of here!!

AlbqSooner
9/17/2006, 06:05 PM
And Dixon admits the ball was tipped on the "pass interference" call.

jrsooner
9/17/2006, 06:19 PM
It was also reported in this story (www.registerguard.com/news/2006/09/17/d1.sp.uofootball.0917.p1.php?section=sports), from an Oregon paper.Yep, that's from the Eugene Register Guard a legal newspaper in Eugene. The other link from SDSG was from the TulsaWorld.

This is beautiful!!!!! Even the Oregon papers are printing it. I need to dig up my old AP wire links to see if there is anything new on them.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2006, 09:01 PM
Well i guess that screws up the "Conclusive evidence shows the ball was touched by OU first" story we got yesterday; what BS will they come up with before Tuesday to explain it then?

AZSunSooner
9/17/2006, 09:07 PM
unreal, I don't think I could live with myself if I showed that much lack of character and integrity.Which person are you referring to?