PDA

View Full Version : My analysis thus far

Widescreen
9/17/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm going to set aside the idiocy from yesterday. We all know (including the duck coaches and fans) that we got royally screwed - no need to comment on that.

Coming into the season, we all heard how this could be Stoops' best defense yet due to returning starters and experience. We suspected there would be some struggles offensively because of an inexperienced OL and QB who's been playing WR for a year. After 3 games, you can see various patterns emerge - not that we know where we will be in 8 games, but you can see the things we are weak on and will have to work on a lot to get better.

Defense
There was an article in the Daily Oklahoman right before the season started where (I think it was) Birdine who was wanting to break the Sooner record for sacks in a career. How many sacks do we have as a team? Our interior DL is basically non-existent - the OL gets through to our linebackers on nearly every play which causes gaping holes for even average RB's to run through. The loss of DD was apparently much more devestating than I would've thought because he routinely got doubled which allowed our ends to cause havoc. As a result, our ends aren't doing much of anything - so much for Birdine's goal. This lack of pass rush also puts our secondary at risk as the opposing QB has a bunch of time to survey the field and wait for a receiver to break free. I strongly believe our secondary would be much better if we had any kind of representative pass rush (see last year).

Offense
Any offensive difficulties we've had this year have fallen right at the feet of our OL. Am I surprised? Not really. Am I surprised that it's this bad? Yes. These guys can get absolutely no push until late in the game when the defense is getting tired. Peterson spends most of the 1st half either running wide or banging his head against a defensive wall. There was at least 1 green jersey in our backfield on nearly every play yesterday - even when they weren't blitzing. But the real killer is the penalties. We had 1st-and-goal 3 times inside the UO 10 yard line and had to kick field goals. Folks, that's the difference between winning and losing. If you can't have the discipline when you're 1st-and-goal at the 2 to not false start, you don't deserve to win. And it wasn't the crowd at Autzen that caused it - we were doing the same crap last week at home. You know its bad when your only senior on the OL is killing you. PT throws too high, too hard, or too far sometimes - we all expected that. Overall he's playing well so it's not him. Peterson is a man among boys and continues to show why he's the best RB in football. Our receivers are very impressive individually and as a group. No worries there. But if we continue to have year-after-year of subpar OL play, we're not going to be much of a factor nationally.

My current prediction is that UT will not have to throw a single pass to beat us. Their strength is their OL and they should be able to manhandle us and run straight up the gut all game long. I feel like washing my mouth out with soap for saying it because I don't think UT is that much better than us. But one of their main strengths plays right into one of our main weaknesses.

Feel free to neg away. I'm a big boy and can take it. Just my opinion and I hope that when the season's over I can look back at this post and see how far we've come. Time will tell.

Boomer Sooner

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 03:31 PM
I won't neg you at all. One of the more sensible posts made this weekend. And, it doesn't get carried away with wanting to lynch people that may or may not be responsible for how things are turning out.

My only comment is.... there's always something in the media before each season that says this or that may be Stoops best yet. I pay about as much attention to that as I do the preseason polls. Until those kids get out there and play, you never know.

fadada1
9/17/2006, 03:32 PM
no negspek needed. definitely a fair assessment.

the D has been a big disappointment thus far - with no real explanation that i can see.. other than missed assignments, poor tackling, poor coverage, lack of D-line push, conservative blitzing, over pursuing, etc....

PT has been more than what was expected - i think we'll all agree on that - especially given the circumstances. he's put us in a position to win each game, and that's all that was asked of him.

AD - enough said, because nothing more can be said.

Blues1
9/17/2006, 04:40 PM
I was hoping maybe PT could have shown some better running ability, but with our blocking or lack of - He's probably lucky to be in one piece...Your analysis is right on from what I've seen.....Even With all our problems on defense we should be 3 and 0

Too bad we had to be part of College Footballs worst Cluster F#$% in the history of the Game....I say this ain't over yet - there's something awful fishy about this game that will still come out....IF it walks Like a Duck - talks like a duck - Looks like a duck - Smells Like Royal Screw Job.....

Pac 10 & NCAA Fix this --- or just go away....