PDA

View Full Version : went to the Norman vs Enid game- my thoughts

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 08:22 AM
I didn't really see "it" from the Box kid, especially on defense. Decent offensive player, IMO he was shying away from contact. Didn't really tackle that well, seemed like he wanted to grab the ball carrier instead of tackling. He got juked out of socks on a few plays.

Ryan Broyles, man this kid is amazing. For a kid to dominate 6A teams like this. He is a must get from the state of Oklahoma. I can't say enough about this kid, Reggie Smith like.

King Crimson
9/17/2006, 04:18 PM
NHS has won 3 games in a row pretty convincingly. against Norman North, Moore, and Enid.

The Consumate Showman
9/17/2006, 04:36 PM
Norman is good, no doubting that. But I think you can go ahead and print Muskogee's name on that 6A trophy...toooooooooo much talent...and they also have another guy I think we'll end up offering and picking up in Dre Stout....he is having wayyyyyyyyyyy too many 200 yard games to just look past at this point....besides, we aren't going to get Lennon Creer, so he should be the lone RB we take this year...

King Crimson
9/17/2006, 04:49 PM
i've been out of state for 15 years, but when/how is Muskogee get to 6A? i can understand how a town like Choctaw goes from being a small town to an OKC suburb....but Muskogee is not real close to Tulsa.

forgive my ignorance.

goingoneight
9/17/2006, 08:25 PM
If you mean wrapping up and tackling the ball carrier, then you have watched Brent Venables' defense for too long, that's how you actually tackle a guy... But if he can't tackle, that doesn't surprise me that BV's after him either...

The Consumate Showman
9/17/2006, 09:18 PM
If you mean wrapping up and tackling the ball carrier, then you have watched Brent Venables' defense for too long, that's how you actually tackle a guy... But if he can't tackle, that doesn't surprise me that BV's after him either...

Let me stop you there.

Brent IS NOT, I repeat, NOT the coach that limits our guys in practice to hitting above the waist and not allowing tackling to go on.

Get on Bob for that one man. Most people don't understand this because of the image built around Bob.

okienole3
9/18/2006, 10:48 AM
OU better get Broyles. He is a special player.

Eielson
9/18/2006, 08:58 PM
I watched Box in teh opener. He had like 8 tackles, 100 yards rushing, 10/12 passing for about 300 yards and I think 4 TDs.

He seemed to do fine on defense especially considering how we try to go the other way on every play. He didn't miss any tackles that I saw. There was one play on that was just amazing in which he just ran right through one of Bartlesville's defenders. You would've had to seen it. It is the biggest hit I've seen in high school and one of the biggest hits I've ever seen especially on offense.

okienole3
9/19/2006, 12:41 PM
Turner Troupe > Austin Box

FroggyStyle22
9/20/2006, 05:51 PM

So what?

Okienole > DD in high school, but everyone knows DD was a D1 athlete. :)

The Consumate Showman
9/21/2006, 01:05 PM

You obviously have absolutely no freakin' clue what you're talking about.

Turner Troupe, while a good athlete, will see one or two D-1AA offers and some NAIA/D-2 to go along with them.

Turner Troupe = couldn't hold Box's **** in his hands...

FroggyStyle22
9/21/2006, 05:35 PM

I doubt he would want to. Even if he did want to and still couldn't I would think that is something the coaches should know, I mean that could be a major medical condition. I can just see the headline, "All-star recruit to leave team with elephantitis." Not good.

okienole3
9/23/2006, 01:05 PM
You obviously have absolutely no freakin' clue what you're talking about.

Turner Troupe, while a good athlete, will see one or two D-1AA offers and some NAIA/D-2 to go along with them.

Troupe will get DI offers.

okienole3
9/23/2006, 01:06 PM
Austin Box=Dane Zaslaw

wishboneTE
9/25/2006, 08:25 PM
Wow, some of you must have seen a different game than I did. I went to watch Box and Broyles play. Both were impressive. Norman never tackled Box on first contact. Box may have missed a tackle or two but the kid never leaves the field. Norman rarely ran at Box. I kept thinking of what Box would do with a little more talent around him and only playing defense. His speed is pretty impressive to be 6'3" 220. I'll take Stoops, Venables, BJW's and several other D-1 coaches', who offered Box, evaluations over some Norman High fans. Broyles needs an offer, the kid can play.

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 09:09 AM
Corey Wilson commiting just hurt Ryan's chances of getting an offer.

Now, I don't think that we will offer him because we have filled our need for the slot position and will probably just wait on the Terrance sweepstakes now.

okienole3
9/26/2006, 12:45 PM
Corey Wilson commiting just hurt Ryan's chances of getting an offer.

Now, I don't think that we will offer him because we have filled our need for the slot position and will probably just wait on the Terrance sweepstakes now.

Any chance they are laying off of him for off the field/attitude reasons?

The Consumate Showman
9/26/2006, 03:29 PM
Any chance they are laying off of him for off the field/attitude reasons?

From all I've heard, he is a good kid on and off the field. I am not close to their school or program as far as having insiders, but I don't believe him to have any off the field problems...

Any Normanites on the board???

AeroSooner7
9/26/2006, 07:02 PM
Box just got hurt last weekend playing Union. 3rd Qtr he got a dislocated elbow. Out 2-4 weeks. I'm from Enid and we still can't compete with the elite of 6A. We haven't won a big game in forever. He is an athelete though. Rarely tackled without help and never on the first try. Very calm in the pocket and laid a pretty nasty lick on a few union receivers.

okienole3
9/30/2006, 11:54 AM
Saw Broyles play last night. He accounted for about 90% of the Tiger offense.

The Consumate Showman
10/1/2006, 12:50 AM
Austin Box=Dane Zaslaw

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

okienole3
10/1/2006, 01:27 PM
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Really?

Dane Zaslaw
Inside linebacker
Edmond (OK) Memorial

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 241 lbs
Forty: 4.6 secs
Bench max: 360 pounds
Bench reps: 32
Squat max: 650 pounds
Vertical: 35 inches
GPA: 3.0

Austin Box
Outside linebacker
Enid (OK) Enid

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 215 lbs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Vertical: 31 inches

The Consumate Showman
10/1/2006, 03:27 PM
Really?

Dane Zaslaw
Inside linebacker
Edmond (OK) Memorial

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 241 lbs
Bench max: 360 pounds
Bench reps: 32
Squat max: 650 pounds
Vertical: 35 inches
GPA: 3.0

Austin Box
Outside linebacker
Enid (OK) Enid

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 215 lbs
Bench max: 300 pounds
Vertical: 31 inches

Hate to break it to you Nole, but numbers don't mean sh!t. If that were the case, why don;t you go to our roster and start comparing those on the OU team now that are comparable in size and numbers and see how that works for ya.

You obviously have never played football. Box has a nose for the ball and has great instincts. Zaslaw has none. That's why his sorry arse is riding the pine.

I guess you don't remember a guy named Steven Taylor from Purcell that we signed once upon a time that just sucked it up royally and left becasue he was a puss. Great size and potential, but no heart. What about Brandon Keith, Akim Millington, Randy McAdams, Moe Dampeer, Tony Cade, BOMAR!?!?!?! I could go on and on.

Sometimes a player just isn't as good a football player as others even if they measure up similarly, but I guess you too were one of those guys that thought we had wasted a scholly on Mark Clayton and D. Strait because of their size and seemingly small numbers, huh? Box is a SUPERIOR athlete and that's why he is ranked number 1 player in the state and #3 nationally at his position.

In the words of Ron White : "The next time you have a thought...let it go."

okienole3
10/1/2006, 04:28 PM
We'll see.

FroggyStyle22
10/1/2006, 09:48 PM
Hate to break it to you Nole, but numbers don't mean sh!t. If that were the case, why don;t you go to our roster and start comparing those on the OU team now that are comparable in size and numbers and see how that works for ya.

You obviously have never played football. Box has a nose for the ball and has great instincts. Zaslaw has none. That's why his sorry arse is riding the pine.

I guess you don't remember a guy named Steven Taylor from Purcell that we signed once upon a time that just sucked it up royally and left becasue he was a puss. Great size and potential, but no heart. What about Brandon Keith, Akim Millington, Randy McAdams, Moe Dampeer, Tony Cade, BOMAR!?!?!?! I could go on and on.

Sometimes a player just isn't as good a football player as others even if they measure up similarly, but I guess you too were one of those guys that thought we had wasted a scholly on Mark Clayton and D. Strait because of their size and seemingly small numbers, huh? Box is a SUPERIOR athlete and that's why he is ranked number 1 player in the state and #3 nationally at his position.

In the words of Ron White : "The next time you have a thought...let it go."

Settle down there a sec. Just because Box is a great athlete and ranked highly at his position does not mean he will be a stud at the next level. I think it is too early to be making judgements about the kids' heart as well. College is a much different game than high school. Stop assuming you know everything and give a little respect for someone elses opinion.

The Consumate Showman
10/2/2006, 09:26 AM
Settle down there a sec. Just because Box is a great athlete and ranked highly at his position does not mean he will be a stud at the next level. I think it is too early to be making judgements about the kids' heart as well. College is a much different game than high school. Stop assuming you know everything and give a little respect for someone elses opinion.

Sorry, but to say that Box is an equal talent to Dane Zaslaw is crazy. I'm not - and yes I forgot to put this into my post - saying that Box is going to be a great athlete at OU because you never know what's going to happen, but I think it is fair to say that he has a LOT more potential than Zaslaw.

Oh, and about his heart, go watch him play or go on the field after an Enid loss and try to approach him and you tell me how much heart this kid has. He lives and breathes football. Go read some of the interviews that have been conducted with him and his father and his coach and teammates and hear what his dad and coaches/teammates have to say about him. I can say that he has the heart for the game and hopefully he can translate that love to the college level for OU.

okienole3
10/2/2006, 10:43 AM
The Consumate Showman must be from Enid. I don't think it is ridiculous. The same things you are saying now about your fellow Plainsmen, people were saying about Zaslaw then. The frog is right, you never know.

From Athlon Sport:

Dane Zaslaw 6-3 230 4.56 Edmund, OK (Memorial)

Arizona (O), Arizona State (O), LSU (O), Miami, Oklahoma (O), Texas and Texas A&M. Made 121 tackles last season. Bench presses 385 pounds, squats 600 pounds and has a 32.7-inch vertical jump. Dane is the quintessential linebacker from the Class of 2003.
From AtlantaSooner:

The final LB gem is Dane Zaslaw. Dane is the pure MLB of the three. Dane for his senior season had 121 tackles (40 UT, 81 AT), six tackles for loss, two sacks and three passes broken up. He also recovered three fumbles and returned one for a touchdown and intercepted a pass and returned it for a TD. Also, he carried the ball 63 times for 301 yards and three touchdowns. Dane has been part of high school program that has him in fantastic shape throwing around mad weight for a high school athlete.

The Consumate Showman
10/2/2006, 12:17 PM
Okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh. And no I'm not from Enid...but let's not start doubting Box before he gets here. Dane had only two LEGIT scholly offers, OU and aTm. Those other schools were "interested". Dane was ranked #4 or 5 in the state when he was recruited. He was ranked #11 by position. Now, I know Austin hasn't set foot on an OU playing field yet, but, his leadership qualities and playing abilities are second to none. I think the potential is there, and let's face it, that's what every college team recruits...potential. So if I was too harsh, I apologize, but I stand by my statement that Box is by far a better athlete.

wishboneTE
10/2/2006, 11:10 PM
okienole=turnertroupe

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 12:48 AM
Okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh. And no I'm not from Enid...but let's not start doubting Box before he gets here. Dane had only two LEGIT scholly offers, OU and aTm. Those other schools were "interested". Dane was ranked #4 or 5 in the state when he was recruited. He was ranked #11 by position. Now, I know Austin hasn't set foot on an OU playing field yet, but, his leadership qualities and playing abilities are second to none. I think the potential is there, and let's face it, that's what every college team recruits...potential. So if I was too harsh, I apologize, but I stand by my statement that Box is by far a better athlete.

Agreed. The film on these guys differentiates them. box is a freaking missile on D. His angles are precise, intuitive, and produce explosive results at the point of contact. He's a different kind of animal than Zaslaw. You cannot teach the things that Box displays on the field.

I'll step out there and say that he is going to be a special player at OU.

It is completely out of line to compare Zaslaw to Box. Zaslaw was pretty much toast after he lost out to Clapp. Heck, they even brought Pleasant over to be the number 2 at FB.

FroggyStyle22
10/3/2006, 01:11 AM
okienole=turnertroupe

Okienole is TurnerTroupe or maybe he is not TurnerTroupe. Who nose? I mean he might be TurnerTroupe, but not the TurnerTroupe you think he is or maybe he is. I don't even really know. Who knows. I don't think any of us no. It is to early too tell.:)

okienole3
10/3/2006, 09:22 AM
It is completely out of line to compare Zaslaw to Box. Zaslaw was pretty much toast after he lost out to Clapp. Heck, they even brought Pleasant over to be the number 2 at FB.

Except that he was a gem of a linebacker coming in (like Box), but couldn't cut it so that moved him to fullback where he still couldn't cut it. The point is they were both highly recruited linebackers. It is too early to tell.

The Consumate Showman
10/3/2006, 09:30 AM
Okienole is TurnerTroupe or maybe he is not TurnerTroupe. Who nose? I mean he might be TurnerTroupe, but not the TurnerTroupe you think he is or maybe he is. I don't even really know. Who knows. I don't think any of us no. It is to early too tell.:)

Judging from your grammar usage, or lack thereof, I would venture a guess that Y O U are turner troupe...;)

okienole3
10/3/2006, 10:20 AM
Judging from your grammar usage, or lack thereof, I would venture a guess that Y O U are turner troupe...;)

No, he is Nick Zepp

okienole3
10/3/2006, 10:32 AM
More evidence from Rivals.

11. Dane Zaslaw LB, Edmond (OK) Memorial, 6-foot-2 240 4.6
Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Nitzchke, if there is one player in the country this year that was reminiscent of these hard-nosed gritty inside linebackers it was Zaslaw. He went both ways for the Bulldogs and could be seen on a regular basis being helped off the field, getting sick, and then promptly finding his way back out onto the field. Zaslaw is everything that a linebacker should be nasty, physical, and willing to surrender his body to make the play. With a couple of strong candidates in the middle Zaslaw will red-shirt another year, and figures to work on his lateral quickness.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 11:36 AM
Except that he was a gem of a linebacker coming in (like Box), but couldn't cut it so that moved him to fullback where he still couldn't cut it. The point is they were both highly recruited linebackers. It is too early to tell.

Compare the footage, though. Have you?

Maybe I'm seeing through crimson-colored glasses . . . but oddly enough, I never thought that's something I'd have to state as a caveat on this board . . . especially to another Sooner fan while talking about our top recruit.:confused:

okienole3
10/3/2006, 12:03 PM
Compare the footage, though. Have you?

Maybe I'm seeing through crimson-colored glasses . . . but oddly enough, I never thought that's something I'd have to state as a caveat on this board . . . especially to another Sooner fan while talking about our top recruit.:confused:

I hope he is as good as advertised. Hopefully he will prove me wrong. I just don't like people saying that something I say is ridonkulous.

Forget this conversation. TUCK FEXAS!!! ;)

The Consumate Showman
10/3/2006, 12:16 PM

Amen brother!

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 02:58 PM

Exactly. Tuck 'em hard!

wishboneTE
10/3/2006, 10:52 PM
okienole knows about Box but I am sure Box has no clue who he is. Box's rival page is incomplete. He has about a dozen offers, including Fla., Tenn, Mich. St. Box was the first instate kid offered by both OU and OSU. He's been to OU's camp for several years. Rumor was that Bo Pelini (then D Coord.) was wanting to verbal him after camp before his soph year. Box started as a freshman in football, baseball and basketball as a freshman in Class 6A. I saw Dane Z play as a senior at EdM and was not impressed. He looked slow and stiff. That's probably why he is at FB now. Also, didn't his Dad have some connection to OU? Anyway, Box is an elite athlete. He may never play at OU but comparing him to DZ at this point is plain stupid. To dog Box at this point (Scout #15, Rivals #62 and likely to be selected to play in the Army AA game) only shows that okienole is just a jealous high school kid or jealous parent.

Echoes
10/6/2006, 02:54 PM
I know Box, personally. I'm tellin you, he's the real deal. I know my view is shaded because I do know him, but I have been around him for a long time. He could play baseball at OU if he wanted. Hell he could probably play any sport here, it doesn't matter. He is that good of an athlete. I don't believe he ever played high school basketball, but I guarentee you with a few years practice, he could be a D1 basketball recruit, I have played against him.

People who posted above are right, its not about his size and stats. Go watch him play a game. Check the angles, the reads. He can flat out play. He has the will to succeed and win, plus hes a monster. He won't be a flop.

Mark my words, Box will see playing time next year, and be starting his Sophmore season.

Personally by the way, I beleive he would make a better strong safety, but I seem to be alone in this opinion. And since we already got Reggie back there, its no need to have him there

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/6/2006, 04:09 PM
I know Box, personally. I'm tellin you, he's the real deal. I know my view is shaded because I do know him, but I have been around him for a long time. He could play baseball at OU if he wanted. Hell he could probably play any sport here, it doesn't matter. He is that good of an athlete. I don't believe he ever played high school basketball, but I guarentee you with a few years practice, he could be a D1 basketball recruit, I have played against him.

People who posted above are right, its not about his size and stats. Go watch him play a game. Check the angles, the reads. He can flat out play. He has the will to succeed and win, plus hes a monster. He won't be a flop.

Mark my words, Box will see playing time next year, and be starting his Sophmore season.

Personally by the way, I beleive he would make a better strong safety, but I seem to be alone in this opinion. And since we already got Reggie back there, its no need to have him there

Thanks for posting. Any insider info is always appreciated.

Echoes
10/7/2006, 01:14 PM
No problem, I am trying to start posting more, I read the boards every day just don't post much :)