PDA

View Full Version : 2 onside kicks 2 weeks in a row

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 08:14 AM
I know yesterday's was just a bad call but we seem to let the same things happen from week to week.

see also D line play, secondary play, no forced punts in the first quarter.

aero
9/17/2006, 09:38 AM
Agreed. Lots of talent but ........ Inexperience? Coaching? Some of both? What makes the screw-job we got even worse is that we beat 2 teams out there - UO and OU. We did not play a good game but the team still fought through it all to earn a victory. They could have given up early when UO was looking like they were going to make it 14-zip. The secondary looks porous at best. They will need much more pressure up front to make it through the year. Do we have a real blitz package? The times we blitzed seemed like the timing was off and it seemed like we were half-committed. This team is still fairly young and inexperienced. I'm o.k. with it so far but we still need some games to gel into a very good team. Right now we are a good team that can beat anybody on a given day or lose to anybody on a given day. We won that game yesterday but the refs gave it to UO. We cannot do anything about that. But if we had shut them down with a 13 pt. lead we wouldn't have put it in the refs hands to begin with.

jthomasou78
9/17/2006, 09:41 AM
I think this is an unfair statement. At least about the onside kick. My guess would be your coverage is pretty good, when the other team interferes illegally, and you still recover the onside kick.

aero
9/17/2006, 09:52 AM
What's unfair? NOBODY is denying the bad calls. But if the D had stopped UO there would not have been an onside try. It is what it is. We set ourselves up to let the refs job us and then it happened. It would be nice to put our foot on the opponents throat and not let them back in it and play well enough that even the refs can't take it away.