PDA

View Full Version : worst defense since Blake era?

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 06:58 AM
71 points, and close 1200 yards given up after 3 games. I've heard about enough of blown assignments, busted coverages, missed tackles and everything else. We have talent but something is horribly wrong.

and who watches those replay reviews? Mr. freakin Magoo. How does this happen twice in 2 years. Is there any recourse?

I'm really frustrated.

MarylandSooner
9/17/2006, 07:58 AM
N.C.A.A. = National Communist Against Athletes from Oklahoma!

Wheres the BOZ when we need him.

Eddie Money
9/17/2006, 08:10 AM
I think if this keeps up, the Blake era defenses might look a little better. And don't throw a shoe at me for saying this, but Rex Ryan was actually not that bad. If we get that darn tackling trick figured out, we might be okay though.

DrZaius
9/17/2006, 08:22 AM
We are witnessing to SLOW DISENTIGRATION of our once PROUD DEFENSE. Is it Vulnrables fault? Maybe.... Do we not have the TALENT that we thought? Maybe....

I sure would like to see the defense stats from each season since Mike left. I bet that you would find that our defense has gotten worse for each season.

What do we do about it? I have no freaking idea...........

This makes me wonder know why Pelini left. Did he leave because BV is a tool and he knew it but could do nothing about it because of Bob and BV relationship.

Would Bob let an inferior DC run our defense because of friendship?

With all this said...I am MORE PROUD TO BE A SOONER THAN EVER.

Eddie Money
9/17/2006, 08:46 AM
2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Points 15 13 16 16 17 24 24
Total Yards 281 246 294 260 299 307 401
Rushing Yards 102 86 108 114 95 91 180
Passing Yards 179 161 186 147 205 217 221

More detailed breakdown at SoonerStats.com (http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/seasons/index.cfm)

*The 2006 calculations are mine and subject to verification.

DrZaius
9/17/2006, 08:51 AM
Not as bad as I was thinking

GrapevineSooner
9/17/2006, 09:28 AM
Our defense doesn't instill fear like it used to.

And as bad as I think we got jobbed, I think our defensive play was bound to cause us to lose at least one or two games this year, anyway.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:33 AM
I'd have to say this is the worst since Blake since it's never been this bad under Stoops.

Eddie Money
9/17/2006, 09:37 AM
Our defense doesn't instill fear like it used to.

And as bad as I think we got jobbed, I think our defensive play was bound to cause us to lose at least one or two games this year, anyway.

That's the scary part. I was sure after the UAB game that our D would snap out of it and start playing with some intensity, but they only got worse.

Will this loss be a wake up call? I hope so, but I have been fooled before.

jthomasou78
9/17/2006, 09:47 AM
We have played three straight teams with very mobile QB's. Mobile running QB's have always been the weakness of this defense. I think our defense has ever had one realy good game against a dual threat QB and that was against Seneca Wallace.

OKC-SLC
9/17/2006, 09:53 AM
Not as bad as I was thinking
they may not be as bad as you were thinking, but get ready for this year's to skyrocket--UAB has proved to be a very average offense. UW began to have their way with us. And Oregon straight up moved the ball on us with ease--if Belotti wasn't trying too hard to overcoach (see the move to Leaf intermittently), they could have had 600.

the defense must get better. whether it's the coaches' or players' faults i don't know or care; but the defense is going to lose us games this year.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 09:54 AM
We have played three straight teams with very mobile QB's. Mobile running QB's have always been the weakness of this defense. I think our defense has ever had one realy good game against a dual threat QB and that was against Seneca Wallace.

we've played only 1 QB this year that has hurt us with his feet that was the back up QB at UAB. Plus is the same QB we dominated about 9 months ago.

Make up all the excuses you want but this is not OU defense.

stoopified
9/17/2006, 09:54 AM
Anybody know IF Rex Ryan is availible?At this point I'd hire Buddy Ryan even though I think he is deceased.Seriously I like Venables but w/o Mike he ain't cutting it.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:57 AM

Mobile QBs are here to stay. They have become the norm. Pocket passers are now rare in college football.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:59 AM
I like Venables but w/o Mike he ain't cutting it.

I don't think Brent was cutting it with Mike. This shows me that Mike ran the defense and Brent got to be called co-DC.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2006, 10:09 AM
its to me our defense is more reacting that being aggressive...

this defense has in the past forced offenses to adjust to them with safety and corner blitzes and different looks they would give...now we are spotting points and having to adjust to whatever the offenses want to do....

and also our defense used to give us momentum and now its like they are waiting for the AD to make a big play or something to happen on offense before they get fired up...

1991SOONER
9/17/2006, 10:17 AM
Venebles must go...period. He has not been impressive since day 1. 2004 was Stoops leftover players. And since stoops players that he coached are graduating, the defense is getting worse. Venebles is not even teaching these kids to tackle correctly. It goes back to "its not what you know, its who you know".

Widescreen
9/17/2006, 11:05 AM
Venables isn't going anywhere unless Venables wants to go somewhere.

Scott D
9/17/2006, 11:37 AM
jarhead I'm disappointed that it took you until the following day to make this thread.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 11:42 AM

You forgot the 12-0 win over Vince Young and the wHorns in 2004.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 11:42 AM
jarhead I'm disappointed that it took you until the following day to make this thread.

well I spent last night crying in my beer.
:D

PrideTrombone
9/17/2006, 11:43 AM
We didn't seem to blitz bery much at all... lots of rushing our front 4 (and we all know they're the weakness of the defense). Little/no blitzes from the corner or safeties. And of course the tackling was poor again. I'm not gonna say I know what the answer is, but something ain't right.

Scott D
9/17/2006, 11:43 AM
the shame man....the shame :D

Scott D
9/17/2006, 11:44 AM
We didn't seem to blitz bery much at all... lots of rushing our front 4 (and we all know they're the weakness of the defense). Little/no blitzes from the corner or safeties. And of course the tackling was poor again. I'm not gonna say I know what the answer is, but something ain't right.

[canned response]man, the tackling hasn't been the same since Jonathan Hayes left[/canned response]

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 11:45 AM
Venebles is not even teaching these kids to tackle correctly.

And you know this how? Do you attend the practices to see what they are or are not taught?

:rolleyes:

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 11:51 AM
And you know this how? Do you attend the practices to see what they are or are not taught?

:rolleyes:

maybe he's watched our last three games. :cool:

Scott D
9/17/2006, 11:54 AM
maybe he's watched our last twenty-five games. :cool:

fixed ;)

tbl
9/17/2006, 11:54 AM
I have a feeling this ref controversy is going to overshadow the dirt poor play of our D. It's happening with a lot of people on this board, and it's sure to be happening in the locker room. I am afraid nothing will come of this, but more mediocre D play. I hope it's a wake up call, but it might be another blowout win by saxeT to make that happen :shudder:.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2006, 11:57 AM
You forgot the 12-0 win over Vince Young and the wHorns in 2004.
Vince was only a running threat in 04; he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with his throws

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2006, 11:58 AM
Guys, if we don't find a pass rush, our defense will be lit up several times this season because we can't cover well enough; if we had a pass rush, i think our secondary play would be harder to expose

SOONER44EVER
9/17/2006, 12:14 PM
We need to start recruiting football players instead of "athletes".

BIG_IKE
9/17/2006, 12:26 PM
Hats off to the offense. Ena, AD and all the receivers really made me proud yesterday. Way to play with poise, confidence and pride. We would be #2 in the nation if the defense played to what it was hyped to be. I am in total disbelief right now.

Are we hyping these guys up to more trhan what they are? Or are the coaches not doing their job? Im not at practice so I really dont know....but through week 3 this is what our defense is doing.

Rush Defense: 94th in NCAA, 12th in Big 12 165 yds/game
Pass Defense: 89th in NCAA, 230 yards a game
Scoring Defense: 75th in NCAA, 23 points per game
Sacks: 105th in NCAA

TOTAL DEFENSE: 97th IN NCAA w/ 396 YARDS A GAME :mad:

FYI..UAB's O has been non-existent since they played us. I want ANSWERS!!!

Eddie Money
9/17/2006, 12:50 PM
I have a feeling this ref controversy is going to overshadow the dirt poor play of our D. It's happening with a lot of people on this board, and it's sure to be happening in the locker room. I am afraid nothing will come of this, but more mediocre D play. I hope it's a wake up call, but it might be another blowout win by saxeT to make that happen :shudder:.

You hit the nail on the head there my friend. No excuses!

Egeo
9/17/2006, 12:52 PM
its to me our defense is more reacting that being aggressive...

this defense has in the past forced offenses to adjust to them with safety and corner blitzes and different looks they would give...now we are spotting points and having to adjust to whatever the offenses want to do....

and also our defense used to give us momentum and now its like they are waiting for the AD to make a big play or something to happen on offense before they get fired up...
i disagree, we blitz all the freaking time
i bet if we go back and look at oregon's big plays almost all of them will have came when we were blitzing!
(well, we didnt blitz when there was less than 3 minutes to go)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2006, 03:49 PM
its not so much if are blitzing than who is blitzing......

M Stoops would blitz a corner and a safety and whichever the RB picked up in protection(or tried), the other would lay smack on the QB....