PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for Bob Stoops and Company...

The Consumate Showman
9/17/2006, 12:30 AM
Thought I'd come over here and try to get my FREAKIN' blood pressure down for a little while.

Anyway, the point of this thread is NOT to try and be sarcastic, mean, stupid, boneheaded, or accusing or anything like that. I just have some recruiting advice from a guy that played some football, knows a little about the game of football and knows when he's watching a great prospect take the field and dominate a game.

So here goes:

Bob Stoops and OU Football Coaching Staff: "PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR COLLECTIVE BUTTS AND GO OFFER FREAKIN' AWESOME RYAN BROYLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S IN YOUR OWN FREAKIN' BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO GET HIM BEOFRE THE DOMERS DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! If any of you were at the game against Enid Friday night, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't been to see Ryan, GO! This kid is a difference maker every time he touches the ball for Norman. Whether he's playing Slot WR, RB, CB, Kick R, or Punt R he is a TD waiting to happen. Now I know he isn't QUITE at the right weight you might like him to be at, but c'mon...we've got Schmitty, red shirt his butt and see what happens to him.

Now, having said all of that, I've been to watch a lot of high school games over the past 10 years or so and I can say that Ryan is one of the better athletes I've seen on a football field. He really kind of reminds me of Reggie Smith. He picked off OU commit Austin Box twice and scored on a PRETTY end zone pass from Tullius. Plus, he has some BLAZING speed out there.

I am hoping that REAL soon, Ryan will get an offer from OU. And from all the reports I have heard and the people I have talked to, Ryan should be QUICK to give his commitment to OU.

If you go watch him play it's almost like he is trying his damndest to show the OU staff that he is worthy of one of our small offers this year. I have his "unofficial" stats from the Enid game(the ones I took)and I will post them whenever I can find them...think they are buried at the bottom of my truck, but just from memory standpoint, I think he had something like 100 yards rushing and recieving, 1 recieving TD and 2 INT's, one for a score or maybe both...I'll find it.

Oh, 1 more thing, another Norman kid to be listening for in the '08 class is Chika Madu...he may turn out to be better than his brother. He had a INT and a kickoff return for a TD...this kid has some serious moves for a young kid and speed much like Ryan's...

:pop: :hot: :twinkies: :) :D Hook 'em :mack: :meat: supa :stunned: :les: :lwm: :chicken: :42:

KingDavid
9/17/2006, 02:04 AM
Saw Broyles play last year. Always around the ball as a DB. Will be a player - I agree that we need to get him.

The Consumate Showman
9/17/2006, 04:32 PM
Got his stats. I was remembering Austin on the 100 rec and rush yards.

Ryan Broyles - Rushing= 5 attempts for 23 yards
Recieving= 3 catches for 35 yards and 1 TD
Defense= 2 1/2 tackles, 2 INT's
Punt Return= 59 yards & a TD

Not just JUMP off the screen numbers, but he's one of those guys that's a difference maker and you can tell it. Opposing D's have FITS guarding and amtching up with his speed. On his punt retrun for a TD, it looked like he was going to get tackled on the side line, but he has that extra gear you hear a lot of scouts talk about and he just kicked it into overdrive and left everyone in the dust. His presence also frees up his teammates like Chika and Troupe to have some bigger nights as well.

As far as Box is concerned, I know usmc-sooner put up a thread on his thoughts of the game on Box and Broyles, and while I agree with him that Box didn't look overwhelmingly spectacualr, you have to keep in mind that these are 17-18 year old kids and they will have an off day here and there.

Box - Rushing=20 carries for around 90 yards give or take 10 yards (I stopped keeping track with 2:00 minutes to go), 1 fumble
Passing= 8/12 for ca. 175 yards, 2 TD's and 4 INT's
Defense= 4 1/2 tackles

Norman did a good job of staying away from Box's side of the field. As far as his tackling, I thought he had kind of a rough night of it. It looked like he was trying to really lay the wood to a few of the guys out there. On one particular play though, he really demonstrated his strength when a player was trying to gete away from him and Austin was literally having to bend over to get to the guy because he was so short and Austin just picked the guy up by the back of his jersey, off the ground, and slammed him to the ground.

Also, one other thing to keep in mind, Enid is using Austin as a Safety-Roy-type of defensive guy. Not a "true" LB, shich is what OU has him recruited for. I still contend that Austin will be a great player at OU. I've seen him too many times and seen him light up too many guys to be a failure.

BUT...WE NEEEEEEEEEEEED RYAN BROYLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 04:53 PM
I didn't think Box had that good of a game, but you're right it was one game. I'm sure the coaches see something in him that they like or they wouldn't offer him. Wasn't trying to rag on Box at all. He's big and has good speed for a big guy.

The Consumate Showman
9/17/2006, 09:15 PM
I didn't think Box had that good of a game, but you're right it was one game. I'm sure the coaches see something in him that they like or they wouldn't offer him. Wasn't trying to rag on Box at all. He's big and has good speed for a big guy.

Right on. If you would have seen Austin the week before you would be raving about him. He just looked off to me. I've seen him several times, trust me, he is worthy of the #1 player in the state and I'm glad to have him.

okienole3
9/19/2006, 12:41 PM
I agree. As a Norman High alum, I am proud of the Tigers.

westcoast_sooner
9/19/2006, 11:59 PM
I don't even see Broyles having listed OU as a possibility. The kid can run, he has some moves, and can play either side of the football.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:02 AM
nm

The Consumate Showman
9/20/2006, 12:59 PM
I don't even see Broyles having listed OU as a possibility. The kid can run, he has some moves, and can play either side of the football.

He doesn't list OU as a possibility becasue OU wasn't a possibility until just recently. OU hadn't offered him, but if you can think of him in terms of one of our commits last year, Broyles is much like Dom Franks. Give it time, he might be a sooner yet...I am really hoping for it...

okienole3
10/26/2006, 09:13 AM
Just read an article from around the time of the OU/TX game. It said an offer might be coming soon from OU. They like him as a slot receiver. Got an update Showman?

The Consumate Showman
10/26/2006, 12:05 PM
Well, that's what they have been recruiting him for so far. I think we are looking at him as a guy that can catch some screen passes and do some reverse type plays. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands and might be a good kick returner next to Reggie, too. His CB skills are pretty good, but there is no denying that he is a threat when he has the ball in his hands. What I can't get over is that OU is holding off on him and schools like the domers and rocky top have already expressed extreme interest...We need to go and try to lock him up. From what I've heard, he would like to stay close to home while in college and likes OU quite a bit. Hopefully we'll offer him soon. His talent level is just too great to let some other school come and nab him right out from under us...

okienole3
10/27/2006, 05:58 PM
Well, that's what they have been recruiting him for so far. I think we are looking at him as a guy that can catch some screen passes and do some reverse type plays. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands and might be a good kick returner next to Reggie, too. His CB skills are pretty good, but there is no denying that he is a threat when he has the ball in his hands. What I can't get over is that OU is holding off on him and schools like the domers and rocky top have already expressed extreme interest...We need to go and try to lock him up. From what I've heard, he would like to stay close to home while in college and likes OU quite a bit. Hopefully we'll offer him soon. His talent level is just too great to let some other school come and nab him right out from under us...

Look out for Nebraska too.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/27/2006, 08:19 PM
Is this kid even interested in OU ?

Consider it like a Texas kid that goes out of state...

The Consumate Showman
10/28/2006, 12:35 AM

The word I hear a lot is that he loves OU and would have already committed to us if we had shown some interest earlier on in the process. As it stands now, if OU wants him (which they should) then they are going to be in a dogfight with Chucky Weiss and Rocky Top. Ryan is a special kind of athlete, much like Reggie in my mind, just a more offensive type player where Reggie was more defensive. I think if Ryan did come to OU, Schmitty would have a great piece of "clay to mold" much like he did when Mark Clayton came in. Get some more weight on Ryan, and he just might be playing on Sundays in a few years.

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2006, 01:24 AM

Yes, he is. Very much so.

okienole3
10/29/2006, 11:10 AM
He had a catch and run right before the half on Friday night that was as good as I have seen in high school football.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 10:39 AM
He had a catch and run right before the half on Friday night that was as good as I have seen in high school football.

We'll get this one if we want him . . . If he doesn't come because we're late and it "hurt his ego" . . . then we don't want him anyway. Talent pretty much NEVER overcomes ego.

The Consumate Showman
10/30/2006, 01:01 PM
We'll get this one if we want him . . . If he doesn't come because we're late and it "hurt his ego" . . . then we don't want him anyway. Talent pretty much NEVER overcomes ego.

What you have to keep in mind is that ND and Tenn have been on him since the get-go. We really didn't show a LOT of interest early on and we are now going to have to play catch up. BUT, like I said earlier, we had the same situation last year with Dom Franks from Union. we got in on him late and impressed him enough to get a commit out of him. If we can work some "Sooner Magic" on Ryan, I think we'll get him. I keep saying that he is just TOO talented and close to home to lose to a D-1 school out of state. Oh, and be assured, he doesn't have ego problems. He is a good kid from all accounts.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 01:35 PM
What you have to keep in mind is that ND and Tenn have been on him since the get-go. We really didn't show a LOT of interest early on and we are now going to have to play catch up. BUT, like I said earlier, we had the same situation last year with Dom Franks from Union. we got in on him late and impressed him enough to get a commit out of him. If we can work some "Sooner Magic" on Ryan, I think we'll get him. I keep saying that he is just TOO talented and close to home to lose to a D-1 school out of state. Oh, and be assured, he doesn't have ego problems. He is a good kid from all accounts.

How many more schollys do we have to give out? We don't have a lot this year, anyway. We've got to save a few - one for the local lineman (can't remember his name), two for QB's, one for Tolliver or another WR.

If we give Broyles an offer with a deadline, he'll take it.

okienole3
10/30/2006, 03:13 PM
Does Pendleton leaving free up another scholly?

Scott D
10/30/2006, 04:52 PM
I believe it should.

william_brasky
10/30/2006, 05:09 PM
I saw somewhere last week that we have offered him.

The Consumate Showman
10/31/2006, 10:16 AM
I saw somewhere last week that we have offered him.

Nope. Not yet. And to tell the truth, if OU gets their opportunity, they will take Gerald Jones over Broyles...

william_brasky
10/31/2006, 10:19 AM
Nope. Not yet. And to tell the truth, if OU gets their opportunity, they will take Gerald Jones over Broyles...

Take both.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 11:28 AM
Not sure we have that sort of liberty with the limited numbers of schollys we have to dole out. Does anyone know the number we have remaining? It can't be a lot.

The Consumate Showman
10/31/2006, 11:36 AM
How many more schollys do we have to give out? We don't have a lot this year, anyway. We've got to save a few - one for the local lineman (can't remember his name), two for QB's, one for Tolliver or another WR.

If we give Broyles an offer with a deadline, he'll take it.

This line for the schollys this year is all screwed up. You have Bomar and Quinn and Schacht's schollys that free up, but you also have Malcolm Willimas from last year's class that didn't qualify to add to our list and Daniel Tabon as well (they are grey shirts). The number is apparently somewhere in between 15-18/19. I think it is also going to depend on what we do with our punter situation, too. Right now, Cohen is a walk-on, but it looks like he is going to be the starting punter next year, which will mean he will be on scholarship, but we might not give Knall his scholarship for next year...I don't know, it's all too confusing.

I say we sign these kids:
1) Romine
2) Frank Alexander
3) either Jones or Broyles
4) Christian Scott
5) one more WR; either Tolliver or Broyles could step in here, but there's also about 4 more possibilities (kid from Tenn, Dez Bryant, Darnius Moore(sp?, Lennon Creer's teammate), and another kid from Tx.)
6) 2 QB's; 1 HS/1 JUCO; Lee and Lee IMO.

That puts us at 17. If we can make room for more, I think we'll take a D-Lineman, probably a DT. We have a couple of kids we're looking at, but one is from Maryland(Langley) and he is looking hard at Joe Pa and there is another DT from Tx, can't think of his name right off. And if we push it to 19, Po'u Palelei from Vega Bishop Gorman might be a possibility if he can get his grades in order.