PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the aTm students feel stupid playing pretend..

royalfan5
9/16/2006, 10:53 PM
soliders when they are playing the United States Military Academy?

jk the sooner fan
9/16/2006, 10:56 PM
what a stupid question....considering the fact that nobody from either student body is actually on active duty.....and considering the fact that A&M has put ALOT of cadets in the active duty officer ranks....

bluedogok
9/16/2006, 11:03 PM
The A&M Corps of Cadets members that I have known are in ROTC and are headed to the military once they graduate. I am not sure if that is a requirement, just the case with those that I knew.

Rogue
9/16/2006, 11:05 PM
Probably not, unless they stop for a minute to ponder the notion that TCU without Fran is winning, 'Bama without Fran is winning, and aTm with Fran is getting worse.

But for the military part, no...they're probably just proud to be gettin' ready to serve their country.

afs
9/16/2006, 11:06 PM
nope it's not a requirement for all the cadets, merely an option.

Blue
9/16/2006, 11:06 PM
yeah...stupid....

StoopTroup
9/16/2006, 11:23 PM
Do the Military Academy guys run you through with a sabre if you step on thier field?

Chuck Bao
9/16/2006, 11:34 PM
Go Army! This is one of the few times I root against a Big 12 team.

critical_phil
9/16/2006, 11:36 PM
whether army finishes this off or not, fran should be fired for that 4th down call.

yermom
9/16/2006, 11:37 PM
i think they will feel stupid when they lose in a few seconds

Chuck Bao
9/16/2006, 11:37 PM
Wow! I wish I could watch the closing minutes of this.

Army 24 A&M 28 with Army 2nd and goal at the A&M 2 yard line with 13 seconds left.

critical_phil
9/16/2006, 11:39 PM
aTm wins.

fran is a goddamned idiot.

yermom
9/16/2006, 11:40 PM
Army ran on 3rd and Goal with no time outs... they stopped them, bad call

MRNOTDUCKS
9/16/2006, 11:45 PM
This wasn't the same A&M team I saw last week. Now, I know that we were playing U La La, but the team executed. Passed the ball more. Threw to the tight ends.

Maybe this is the wake up call they need to know that they can't half *** it and read press clippings all week.

Army played a good game, don't want to discredit that.

This is a tough win.

Chuck Bao
9/16/2006, 11:56 PM
The only thing that gives me some joy is the thought of Baylor kicking A&M's butt and then feeling like it's not special enough to take down the goal posts.

Statalyzer
9/17/2006, 01:11 AM
Don't forget, Baylor played OU closer than A&M last year.

The A&M Corps of Cadets members that I have known are in ROTC and are headed to the military once they graduate. I am not sure if that is a requirement, just the case with those that I knew.

Not only is it not a requirement, it's true of less than half of the Corps members.

47straight
9/17/2006, 03:12 AM
aTm corps of cadets... actual members of the military... the whorns despise both equally.

Desert Sapper
9/17/2006, 04:18 AM
My alma mater nearly took the Aggies. The game ended much better than I thought it would, even if a terrible call cost Army the game. I suppose it would be stupid to think that OU is the only team willing to shoot itself in the foot while knocking on the door. It would only figure that both my teams managed that in the same weekend.

On another note, Army tackled 100% better in this game than OU did against Oregon. We need to pull one of their position coaches to come teach us how to break down and form tackle.

MiccoMacey
9/17/2006, 04:37 AM
On another note, Army tackled 100% better in this game than OU did against Oregon. We need to pull one of the position coaches from any local junior high to come teach us how to break down and form tackle.

Sounds more correct. :D

Desert Sapper
9/17/2006, 05:29 AM
:eek: I wasn't going to say it, but yeah...I think there are pee wee teams that tackle better than we do. Army looked pretty dang good against aggie, though. I would have laughed so hard at the Aggie fans that were freaking out at the end of the game if Army had punched it in and not shot themselves in the foot.

Okla-homey
9/17/2006, 07:20 AM
what a stupid question....considering the fact that nobody from either student body is actually on active duty.....and considering the fact that A&M has put ALOT of cadets in the active duty officer ranks....

Actually, service academy cadets are "in" the military and on active duty. They are subject to the UCMJ and their service as cadets is creditable for longevity pay purposes throughout their careers. Not so for ROTC guys except when they are ordered to active duty for summer camp.

jk the sooner fan
9/17/2006, 07:24 AM
Actually, service academy cadets are "in" the military and on active duty. They are subject to the UCMJ and their service as cadets is creditable for longevity pay purposes throughout their careers. Not so for ROTC guys except when they are ordered to active duty for summer camp.

yes, this is true - but they have a special status.....you dont salute a cadet

Okla-homey
9/17/2006, 07:31 AM
yes, this is true - but they have a special status.....you dont salute a cadet

But underclass service academy cadets salute cadet officers.

jk the sooner fan
9/17/2006, 07:43 AM
But underclass service academy cadets salute cadet officers.

so?

that has more to do with rules of the institution itself

my point was that i doubt seriously the student body at West Point, while they can be quite full of themselves, look down on the corp of cadets as wannabe's....i'm sure you understood that, being a Citadel man ;)

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 08:40 AM
once you graduate the Academy, you still have to go and complete OCS before you can dole out any orders or recieve a salute, and they're still considered recruits or candidates.

jk the sooner fan
9/17/2006, 08:44 AM
once you graduate the Academy, you still have to go and complete OCS before you can dole out any orders or recieve a salute, and they're still considered recruits or candidates.

untrue - they receive their commission at their graduation ceremony and are officially a 2LT - and get all the courtesies and respects afforded to that rank....they then report to Officer Basic Course - not OCS

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 08:58 AM
untrue - they receive their commission at their graduation ceremony and are officially a 2LT - and get all the courtesies and respects afforded to that rank....they then report to Officer Basic Course - not OCS

it must be different in the Marine Corps then (or at least I think) I knew a Cpt. who graduated West Point and I was pretty sure he told me he was a candidate while going through OCS. I think the only way you get out of OCS is if you do the PLC which basically splits up OCS into 2 summers.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Okla-homey
9/17/2006, 12:33 PM
it must be different in the Marine Corps then (or at least I think) I knew a Cpt. who graduated West Point and I was pretty sure he told me he was a candidate while going through OCS. I think the only way you get out of OCS is if you do the PLC which basically splits up OCS into 2 summers.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

A midshipman who elected to go Marine who graduates from USNA (Annapolis) is immediately commissioned a 2LT in the Marine Corps and is entitled to all the rights, responsibilites of that rank from that day. Ditto all the service academies and ROTC grads at other colleges and universities. Example: At my college graduation, I walked across the stage in my cadet uniform, got my diploma, then had to do a quick-change into my AF uniform to raise my right hand and get my bars.

After the ceremony, I walked out of the chapel where the commisioning ceremony was held into the bright sunlight of a Charleston mid-day and promptly got saluted by an enlisted guy to whom tradition required me to present a silver dollar. In fact, enlisted guys who hang around commisioning ceremonies stand to rake up some serious coin that way.

With regard to a USMA guy who works a deal to be commissioned into the USMC...I have no idea what hoops the Corps makes him jump thru before pinning on his bars.