PDA

View Full Version : Our defense tackles like a bunch of girls

wishbonesooner
9/16/2006, 10:06 PM
Don't know how we fix it, but we won't beat a good team until somebody figures out what to do. Other than our pitiful defensive performance, I thought the Sooners turned a corner today.

BASSooner
9/16/2006, 10:08 PM
We're really good but we just need to go over the simple mistakes that we make such as mistackling and how to tackle.

mojohornfan
9/16/2006, 10:10 PM
I picked Oregon to win this one. I was wrong. Good game and a tough loss. The refs fvcked it up. Should be one of the better RRS's this year!

GottaHavePride
9/16/2006, 11:48 PM
I think it's a coaching problem. Our defense looked like they were totally oput of position at the start of the game - like they had no clue what Oregon's tendencies were or who they should be watching. The result was a lot of trying to tackle guys with an arm as they run past. It took nearly the entire first half until our defense seemed to figure Oregon out and shut them down. I think it's a preparation problem, and that's squarely on the coaches - we've got the talent to be much better than that, as evidenced by the second half (up until the dick-slapping the refs gave us - I can't fault the D for being shell-shocked after those calls). I have to admit, I was still hoping for Hartley to pull of a von Schamann-esque miracle at the end.

Soonerus
9/16/2006, 11:52 PM
I think we have a good defense... I know some of you will disagree but that is my opinion...

westcoast_sooner
9/16/2006, 11:55 PM
The thing that keeps bugging me about this is that before the season started, everyone seemed to think that our D was going to be our strong point. After all, we had a young O-Line, and turmoil at the QB position. Those guys have played a lot better than expected, while the D has not done nearly what we expected. I thought we kinda got it together last week in the 2nd half against Washington, but seems like today we took a step backwards.

sooner969
9/17/2006, 12:53 AM
I agree. Somewhere hidden in the cloak of confusion, ineptitude, and lack of preparation there's a championship defense waiting to happen. Unfortunately Venables or BJ can't seem to find it.

OKC-SLC
9/17/2006, 01:07 AM
I think we have a good defense... I know some of you will disagree but that is my opinion...
sorry buddy but i don't agree. The 500 yards we gave up to Oregon were very easy for them to get.

soonerhubs
9/17/2006, 01:12 AM
I'm struggling to see our Defensive interior do much to disrupt the opponents plays. There in I feel lies alot of our struggles regarding our D. Are we just that young there?

mightysooner
9/17/2006, 01:13 AM
I think it's glaringly clear that our defensive staff aren't cutting the mustard here considering what's happened over the last two years. Venables defenses aren't prepared to play from basic fundamentals all the way up to film study. There's a LOT of talent out there on that squad and BV and BJW can't seem to do anything with it. A pattern has clearly developed.

OldGuyinStudentSection
9/17/2006, 02:16 AM
Aside from the '04 RRS (with Pelini as DB coach), Venables defense has not produced a single dominant performance as DC.

1991SOONER
9/17/2006, 07:32 AM
Aside from the '04 RRS (with Pelini as DB coach), Venables defense has not produced a single dominant performance as DC.

Alot of those players were coached by M. Stoops prior to Mike leaving. It seems our defense is getting worse by the year.

TXBOOMER
9/17/2006, 07:43 AM
Their QB proved during the game he could not throw while under pressure. Sorry, BV assisted the refs in giving them the game because he did not put OUr players in the best possible position to win the game. Our DB's have proven for the last two years that if the QB has enough time WR's will get behind them. Two linebackers should hve been shooting those gaps on both of their last two drives. So far this year BV has been out coached by UO and UAB. Washington will not out coach any team they play. He might be a good linebacker coach but he is not a good strategist. We must go back to being an attack defense, I'm sick of watching this finesse bend but don't break mentality.

TUSooner
9/17/2006, 07:43 AM
Alot of those players were coached by M. Stoops prior to Mike leaving. It seems our defense is getting worse by the year.
Yep. Honestly, my first thought if the day (first football thought, anyway) was not about how badly we got screwed by th refs, but how pathetic our D looked in the last 2 minutes. I don't know what the real dealio is, but when Mike was here, we had a kick-a$$ and take names D. Now we have a D that looks tentative or lost; too much chasing and not enopugh attacking. Call or no Call, those last 2 TDs by the D*cks looked waaaaay too easy. I don't know if the D is "bad," but they sure are disappointing based on the hype they received.

TripleOption14
9/17/2006, 07:46 AM
sorry buddy but i don't agree. The 500 yards we gave up to Oregon were very easy for them to get.

EXACTLY!!! The ducks got yards in HUGE chunks!!! A 10 yard run, then a 8 screen, then a 12 yard out, then another 10 yard run. I mean it was crazy to see how easy they were picking up yards! At some point this D needs to start making plays on 1st and 2nd down so 3rd down is not so DAMN easy!!

zeke
9/17/2006, 07:49 AM
I agree. Someone on another thread said that we just dont have the talent that we have had in the past. Well maybe not & maybe so. What I do know is that other teams get to recruit kids after OU, TX, Miami, USC ect. do. And seem to put together some pretty good defenses. At least they are disiplined and are able to tackle and play fumdamentle FB.
If OU doesnt have the talent I'd say it is recruiting (I think coaches do the recruiting). If they have the talent then I'd say its coaching problems.
Bottom line is that our defense looks lost for large parts of the games. They dont finish tackles and I dont see much of the aggresive slobber knocking hits that we are used to seeing from OU.
How many times, even yesterday in the first Oregon drive, have you seen a football hit one of our defenders in the hands and the ball is dropped?
Something or someone needs to change.
I want Mike back!

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 07:52 AM

I'm sorry but a good defense doesn't give up 500 yards a game and 2 scores in 72 seconds.

I could see if it was one game deal but after three games our D has been exploited by UAB, UW, and Oregon to the tune of around 1200 yards and 71 points. That's an average of more than 23 points and 400 yards per game. Our db's are still getting absolutely torched by biting on fakes, looking in the backfield, safeties coming over late. It aint a problem that just started this year.

TripleOption14
9/17/2006, 07:55 AM
I don't know if its talent more than it is technique. NO ONE on the D can get off of a block for SH!T!!!!! Once the opponent has them engaged they are locked up until the play is over. In particular the Dlineman. My god boys keep the opposing team hands off of you!!!

TUSooner
9/17/2006, 07:58 AM
**** We must go back to being an attack defense, I'm sick of watching this finesse bend but don't break mentality.

EXACTLY

TripleOption14
9/17/2006, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry but a good defense doesn't give up 500 yards a game and 2 scores in 72 seconds.

I could see if it was one game deal but after three games our D has been exploited by UAB, UW, and Oregon to the tune of around 1200 yards and 71 points. That's an average of more than 23 points and 400 yards per game. Our db's are still getting absolutely torched by biting on fakes, looking in the backfield, safeties coming over late. It aint a problem that just started this year.

I think the CB's are OK its the DAMN late responding safeties w/ the over the top help that has me LIVID!!! And safety is no where near as hard a position as CB!!

Since71ASooner4Life
9/17/2006, 08:05 AM
We're really good but we just need to go over the simple mistakes that we make such as mistackling and how to tackle.

That is an oxymoron like Government Intelligence.

I would agree we are very physically talented, but havent learned to translate that to on field performance. That talent has shown itself with moments of brilliance, but with plenty of gaps in between.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 08:10 AM
I think the CB's are OK its the DAMN late responding safeties w/ the over the top help that has me LIVID!!! And safety is no where near as hard a position as CB!!

agree when we have Walker and Smith at CB, but on that last TD how does a WR get 10 yards behind the safety on 4th and 6? It's not just bad coaching but common sense and it happens over and over.
our D line isn't helping out the secondary much either (actually none at all)

jrsooner
9/17/2006, 08:20 AM
Aside from the '04 RRS (with Pelini as DB coach), Venables defense has not produced a single dominant performance as DC.AGREED! I never saw what most people do in Venables. I always have credited him for our decline in defense.

TripleOption14
9/17/2006, 08:21 AM
agree when we have Walker and Smith at CB, but on that last TD how does a WR get 10 yards behind the safety on 4th and 6? It's not just bad coaching but common sense and it happens over and over.
our D line isn't helping out the secondary much either (actually none at all)

I don't know. i was asking myself the same question. Nic Harris had to be yelling HELP HELP! And then you see Carter running from what looks like where the LB's normally line up. I understand run support but on 4 and 6 and they gotta score? Man, use your head a little safeties!!

cs6000
9/17/2006, 08:30 AM
At that stage of the game, at that spot on the field, the defense coaches should have considered Oregon would throw 10+ yards, or for the end zone....

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 08:32 AM

Good defenses don't let up over 500 yards and 2 TDs in the last 72 seconds to teams that barely crack the Top 20.