PDA

View Full Version : Prevent defense should be a FIREABLE OFFENSE !!!

slickdawg
9/16/2006, 09:36 PM
Dammit, I still can't believe this ****.

If we didn't go into that bull**** prevent defense, we win.

:hot: :mad: :hot: :mad: :hot: :mad: :hot:

sooner969
9/16/2006, 10:32 PM
It's highly possible they could've slowed them enough to run them out of time, maybe stop them. It was a bonehead decision though, I agree completely.

tbl
9/16/2006, 10:38 PM
I've never seen a circumstance where the prevent defense actually prevented anything. I still don't understand the rationale behind it. I mean, I know why they think it works, but it doesn't.

mdklatt
9/16/2006, 10:58 PM
I've never seen a circumstance where the prevent defense actually prevented anything.

The prevent defense prevents punts. :mad:

Rocker
9/17/2006, 06:28 AM
Prevent defense = prevents you from winning!

SoonerDad
9/17/2006, 06:48 AM
Prevent defense = prevents you from winning!

You're exactly right, Rocker. That's an infamous John Madden line. Up to that point in the 4th quarter, we were doing a good job of containing their offense. Then, in typical "traditional" D-coordinator think, we put in extra D-backs, drop them all 20 yards, and let Oregon complete pass after pass under our coverage and then create a huge zone that lets Dixon run for a long touchdown untouched. C'mon Venebles, you're better than that.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 06:50 AM
we must have been in the prevent the whole game. We gave up 500 yards

TXBOOMER
9/17/2006, 07:50 AM
we must have been in the prevent the whole game. We gave up 500 yards

25% of that 500 was their last two drives. If BV would have blitzed and been in attack mode we would have won the game in spite of those Whoregan homer refs. BV did not put OUr defense in the best position to win by running the prevent. Their QB proved he could not throw under pressure throughout the game. I'm ready for BV to pack his bags. This finesse crap is going to get us beat two or three times a year.

usmc-sooner
9/17/2006, 07:59 AM
25% of that 500 was their last two drives. If BV would have blitzed and been in attack mode we would have won the game in spite of those Whoregan homer refs. BV did not put OUr defense in the best position to win by running the prevent. Their QB proved he could not throw under pressure throughout the game. I'm ready for BV to pack his bags. This finesse crap is going to get us beat two or three times a year.

200 yards came in the first quartter. Heck it should take a great OC a few drives to see where the defense is. But offenses have us pegged from the get go.

I also think it's the second game in a row we haven't forced a team to punt in the first quarter.

I see why at times our play calling seems like it is milking the clock our defense is horrible. It was ranked 74 nationally before yesterday.

TUSooner
9/17/2006, 08:02 AM
I wonder if Venables knows what "discombobulated" means.
The last 2 minutes showed 2 prime examples: discombobulated refs, and discombobulated D. Nothng we can do about the refs, but we dang sure better fix the defense.

DrZaius
9/17/2006, 08:13 AM
With all that has been said. This thread is the best describes how I feel. Refs or not we have to stop them and we didn't. Yes we should have not been in that position but you have to suck it up and play the game.

PAC 10 officials are GHEY.

slickdawg
9/17/2006, 08:15 AM
Defenses should always attack, without exception.

The prevent defense theory is that no ONE LONG BALL will beat you.
That worked for Auburn on the LAST PLAY of the LSU game yesterday.
They attacked for every other snap.

If you keep running the prevent defense, that leaves passes under that coverage wide open. You hit a few of those in a row, you get a touchdown.

In our case, with two bad calls, two touchdowns.

slickdawg
9/17/2006, 08:16 AM
With all that has been said. This thread is the best describes how I feel. Refs or not we have to stop them and we didn't. Yes we should have not been in that position but you have to suck it up and play the game.

PAC 10 officials are GHEY.

"If you are good enough, you overcome bad officiating" - Jackie Sherrill

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 08:23 AM
After being touted by many so-called "experts" as having one of the best, if not the best, defense in the country, the performance of our defense all year has been terrible.

Giving up 500 yards and letting two TDs in the last 72 seconds in inexcusable and Brent Venables needs to be fired TODAY! This wasn't the #1 team in the nation that did this to us, people. This was barely a top 20 team.