PDA

View Full Version : Stoops' reaction?

Spray
9/16/2006, 08:22 PM
Anyone heard a peep yet out of Stoops via radio or tv? Interested to hear his postgame reaction.

afs
9/16/2006, 08:25 PM
pretty much the high road on all the calls. he made one comment about how the staff and everyone in the stadium were convinced that the pass was tipped and he couldn't understand how someone could come up with a different conclusion, but somehow they did.

it seemed that the reporters were trying to step lightly on the topic.

Spray
9/16/2006, 08:35 PM
Weak sauce.

He should scream loud and long. If he gets fined we'll take up a collection. I was really hoping he wouldn't *****foot this one.

Blue
9/16/2006, 08:38 PM
Weak sauce.

Kinda like moving and locking threads. someones on a power trip...

StoopTroup
9/16/2006, 08:43 PM
Like I said in another thread...

What he ought to do isn't what he's gonna do.

Bob's not gonna change how he does business and he's not gonna do the job for the media.

The media, the NCAA and the game announcers especially should be ashamed.

The announcers sounded like they had guys in their ear telling them to tread light.

oumartin
9/16/2006, 08:44 PM
Stoops seems to have lost his balls when his brother up and left. He won't call anyone out. I love the guy but he just seems to roll with it now.
He and his brother are better with each other and I wanna see his bro back.

StoopTroup
9/16/2006, 08:45 PM
The ABC coverage a minute ago sounds like they blew the review.

OUTromBoNado
9/16/2006, 08:46 PM
Bob sounded pretty wiped out to me. The game was pretty emotional and intense. Probably once he gets the chance to recharge, we'll hear more.

9/16/2006, 08:46 PM
No, the high road is always best.

It sucks butt, but it is.

Spray
9/16/2006, 08:49 PM
Brando and Tillman said it was blown.

MarylandSooner
9/16/2006, 08:50 PM
The ABC coverage a minute ago sounds like they blew the review.

Flutie explained the mistake's that were made by the officials, and then James said if you are going to use the review, at least get it right, and then made the comment, is that not what it is for. We got screwed.

GreenSooner
9/16/2006, 08:53 PM
According to WWLS, Stoops and the coaches hadn't seen the replays yet. When they will, I'm sure they'll hit the roof, though perhaps not in public. Tuesday should be interesting...

9/16/2006, 08:54 PM
When freakin' MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for an athletic department budget are in the mix, how are video-documented calls like this not questioned?

SoonerInFla
9/16/2006, 08:57 PM
He's not gonna bitch about the refs. I'd be more interested in hearing how a friggin duck could be down in the endzone catching passes without at least having the courtesy of somebody just acting like they wanted to cover his ***.

Spray
9/16/2006, 09:07 PM
He's not gonna bitch about the refs. I'd be more interested in hearing how a friggin duck could be down in the endzone catching passes without at least having the courtesy of somebody just acting like they wanted to cover his ***.

Wah.

oufan1
9/16/2006, 09:07 PM
Good Point!

Spray
9/16/2006, 09:08 PM
Good Point!

Double wah.

OKC-SLC
9/16/2006, 09:08 PM
of course, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Bob looked into responding to the fact that our D gave up 500 yards of offense, including 350 thru the air.

The officials prevented us from winning as much as our D did.

OKC-SLC
9/16/2006, 09:21 PM
BV isn't working out, IMHO. I like the guy, and I want him on our staff. However the D has taken a MAJOR step back since he took it over.

Remember how all we could talk about was how no RB ran for 100 yards against OU? It happens literally all the time now.

And today's breakdowns cost us the game--

why the long TD on their 4th and 6?
what about the one to take the lead?
why can't our guys tackle? I mean, there is a finite number of things you can practice that you just KNOW you'll need to use. Tackling is one of them. Others, like the tip drill, you may never need. Tackling, not so much.

ClintonSooner
9/16/2006, 09:22 PM
to me I cant even picture stoops getting mad anymore, When we lost in 04 at the Oj bowl, I heard he let the kids do what ever they wanted, so I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt do anything, God knows I hope I'm wrong...

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
9/16/2006, 09:25 PM
of course, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Bob looked into responding to the fact that our D gave up 500 yards of offense, including 350 thru the air.

The officials prevented us from winning as much as our D did.

The players did give up 500 yards but in the end they still made the plays needed to win the game. The refs didn't. They missed the call on the kick. Thats ok, blown calls happen thats why we have replay. But then they didn't fix their mistake. In the end we still had a chance but just couldn't get it done. Still shouldn't have come down to that.

bri
9/16/2006, 09:28 PM
What good does throwing a bitch-fit in the postgame press conference do for Bob? He'll take a look at the tape tomorrow and file a protest with the league and the NCAA, just like he did after Tech last year. And they won't even admit that we got hosed, much less do anything about it...just like last year.

Spray
9/16/2006, 09:31 PM
And today's breakdowns cost us the game--

I know what you're saying, but as far as this game goes its "stinkin' thinkin'". The blown call cost us the game. No ifs, ands or buts. They get it right, we run out the clock and go home to watch film and figure out how to correct the problems mentioned above.

Spray
9/16/2006, 09:33 PM
What good does throwing a bitch-fit in the postgame press conference do for Bob? He'll take a look at the tape tomorrow and file a protest with the league and the NCAA, just like he did after Tech last year. And they won't even admit that we got hosed, much less do anything about it...just like last year.

It sure would make me feel better, and honestly, that's all that matters. :D

bri
9/16/2006, 09:34 PM
Man, you must be doing better than me, then. I still would only feel better if I could throat-punch some refs. :D

OKC-SLC
9/16/2006, 09:36 PM
The players did give up 500 yards but in the end they still made the plays needed to win the game. The refs didn't. They missed the call on the kick. Thats ok, blown calls happen thats why we have replay. But then they didn't fix their mistake. In the end we still had a chance but just couldn't get it done. Still shouldn't have come down to that.
agreed.

Southeast Sooner
9/16/2006, 09:37 PM
I think Stoops reaction will be that we have to get better. We have to stay out of situations where officials can control the outcome of the game. Still I'm sick of officials.

Kingwoodboomer
9/16/2006, 10:06 PM
Man, you must be doing better than me, then. I still would only feel better if I could throat-punch some refs. :D

No DOUBT!!!!!

bluedogok
9/16/2006, 10:09 PM
A coach can't go off on officials, then any questionable calls will go against you. It is much like what happened when Tubbs was constantly needling the officials, eventually they tired of it and showed him and the team who is in control and can determine the outcome if they so wish.

That said, I would go ballistic.

85Sooner
9/16/2006, 10:17 PM
The point was made and I agree. If Bob does not defend his team on this regardless of the fine, then I believe he has to go. A coach not defending the blatent disregard for the rules should not have a place at Oklahoma.

The Review rules state that the "action is obvious and descernable" if those calls were not than I am blind. A position has to be made and held.

As far as the D is concerned BV needs to go backwards. His D is not even close to a resemblance of OU football and another coach needs to be brought in.

At this time I am really really questioning Bob Stoops leadership. The gunslinger/gambler we all knew seems to be gone. I know this in only one game but I have noticed a pattern that has developed since the loss to KState in the B12 Champ game years ago.

I will always support OU but the Stoops era may be a myth. Recruiting has been great. We always had a reputation for being tough, our workout programs were the envy of Div 1 football, and it is gone. Period.

PT has done what I expected him to do. the O line was questionable but may still develope to become great. Ad, well enough said there.

As far as the D, I don't even know where to start. My flag football team had a better concept of what we were doing than the D OU is presenting right now.

I hope it gets better but B Stoops does have somthing to answer for. His percieved arogance will only carry so far.
Heres to hoping things turn around,

but if you felt as I felt, When Oregon scored the touchdown with one minute remaining I said the game was lost . I had no confidence in our Special teams (for an onside kick) and I knew the D would throw it away. I was right. They did. Until next week sprts fans, hang in there.

SoonerGM
9/16/2006, 10:27 PM
The point was made and I agree. If Bob does not defend his team on this regardless of the fine, then I believe he has to go. A coach not defending the blatent disregard for the rules should not have a place at Oklahoma.

The Review rules state that the "action is obvious and descernable" if those calls were not than I am blind. A position has to be made and held.

As far as the D is concerned BV needs to go backwards. His D is not even close to a resemblance of OU football and another coach needs to be brought in.

At this time I am really really questioning Bob Stoops leadership. The gunslinger/gambler we all knew seems to be gone. I know this in only one game but I have noticed a pattern that has developed since the loss to KState in the B12 Champ game years ago.

I will always support OU but the Stoops era may be a myth. Recruiting has been great. We always had a reputation for being tough, our workout programs were the envy of Div 1 football, and it is gone. Period.

PT has done what I expected him to do. the O line was questionable but may still develope to become great. Ad, well enough said there.

As far as the D, I don't even know where to start. My flag football team had a better concept of what we were doing than the D OU is presenting right now.

I hope it gets better but B Stoops does have somthing to answer for. His percieved arogance will only carry so far.
Heres to hoping things turn around,

but if you felt as I felt, When Oregon scored the touchdown with one minute remaining I said the game was lost . I had no confidence in our Special teams (for an onside kick) and I knew the D would throw it away. I was right. They did. Until next week sprts fans, hang in there.

spoken like a true sooner fan :rolleyes:

letsroll
9/16/2006, 10:27 PM
i agree, but we still would have won it making the field goal

soonershane22
9/16/2006, 10:28 PM
Okay, I have had a chance to cool down and hopefully get my thoughts together without wanting to just completely go off on someone...that being said...

I love this coaching staff. They have all done what they need to do individually and as a group. The question that I have is when do we stop blaming the players and start blaming the coaches? The defense since MS left has gone nothing but downhill. BV just does not seem to be getting the job done. Do I want him gone? Not at all! That is not what is at question. What is at question is when does the head coach...who is a defense guy...step in and start trying to fix things? Something is definitely wrong but BS just seems to be standing back and watching it? The fire that was there really seems to be dwindling down to a flicker. I am starting to wonder if BS fed off of MS's energy because since he left we have started to see the energy level just fall off further and further. The defense was supposed to carry us this year and to the offense's credit, they have been doing all the work and putting us where we need to be. The defense is the one that has been letting us down...again! Same story as last year. The discipline that OU used to have is completely gone...see all the "concentration" penalties that we get each game! AD is a great runner...in the second half. PT is doing an incredible job...I think that has a lot to do with JH being there for him. Our defense just looks like they have never tackled anything in their lives. When do we stop seeing the same mistakes and misses every single game?

Kingwoodboomer
9/16/2006, 10:33 PM

I have to agree on this....in the last two games, the defense has allowed 2 touchdowns in the opening drive...something has to change

Spray
9/16/2006, 10:34 PM
Neg spek? For this thread? Huh?

soonermaticsam
9/16/2006, 10:41 PM

Agreed, making a statement when emotions are still high could be bad. I really hope he does say something though, moreover, I hope he can keep the team's focus this week, as bad as I feel about this abomination I can't imagine how much worse it would feel if I'd been suited up putting my blood, sweat, and tears into the game. I hope our guys can bounce back. Stoops has his work cut out this weak IMO

Blue
9/16/2006, 10:43 PM
Neg spek? For this thread? Huh?

You get negged for talking about neg, negger.

Btw, I want my coach to show some balls. I don't know about half of you. PC tree-huggin liberals, probably.;)

Texas Golfer
9/16/2006, 10:44 PM
Bob needs to defend the play of his boys and scream loud and scream long. He needs to show these replays at every interview and so what if the NCAA fines him. He makes almost $3M a year.

The Sooners deserved this win and it was stolen from them and Stoops needs to shout that from the highest buildings.

nanimonai
9/16/2006, 10:58 PM
Well taking a look at Arizona we may have Mike back in time for the bowl game.

(Mostly joking, I wish Mike the best...)

OUFan22
9/16/2006, 11:02 PM
Bob needs to defend the play of his boys and scream loud and scream long. He needs to show these replays at every interview and so what if the NCAA fines him. He makes almost $3M a year.

The Sooners deserved this win and it was stolen from them and Stoops needs to shout that from the highest buildings.
You sir are exactly right! Bob Stoops needs to defend his boys to the end. If he doesn't, I will lose all respect for him. It is his job as the leader of the OU football team to fight, scratch, and do whatever it takes to ensure the the success and well-being of the team. If he doesnt have the balls to fight for what is right and just stands by and takes this up the ***, he is not a man. You can only use "the high road" so far. He makes PLENTY of money to speak up and deal with any fines that may come his way. If it were me in his shoes, I wouldn't lay down and would let them know what I thought.

Would he fight for his children if they were getting taken advantage of and robbed? Sure he would. The same principles apply here.

StoopTroup
9/16/2006, 11:02 PM
So...

We all agree that we got hosed.

Boomer Sooner ! ! !

boomrsoonr
9/16/2006, 11:15 PM
Whoa there guys. Coaching is a big part of any team sport. But last I checked, execution on the part of the players was very important to the outcome. Venables and Stoops aren't the ones that are missing tackles. And they aren't the ones that are letting receivers get behind them on 4th and 6 plays.

Can they be more effective as coaches. Nobody is perfect, and that includes the coaching staff at OU. But let's put away the rope and rethink the lynching here. It's not their fault if the players don't execute the game plan and do as they've been coached.

And another thing. Some of the players may just not be that good. Let's stop sounding like GD and Mack haters here and start supporting those that have brought us back from the bowels of the 90's.

SoonerGM
9/16/2006, 11:33 PM
when it comes to the coaching staff, i would like to remind everyone to stand back and look at how much the coaching staff actually changes each year.

for example, one large problem is we have not been getting pressure on the qb like we are accustomed to. the dline coach is new on this staff this year because bobby jack wright is coaching the db's this year(i think?). remember also, we lost dusty d'voraceck. this guy is not someone who is easy to replace! he lead the nation in tackles for loss last year... thats good penetration. we dont have that right now. the guys to replace him are young. all of this can add up. so that means BV sucks? i dont think so. i think MS is better, but i think there are many many factors which are having an impact on this team, not just the coaching staff.

i think people need to be careful for what they ask for. nebraska got rid of frank solich and look at them. texas a&m got rid of rc slocum(sp?) and look at them.

additionally, all these people sayin that stoops needs to grow a set and throw a fit about the officiating, yelling and screaming... try this.. the next time management, or whoever is over you, at your place of employment does something that you just can not stand, why dont you take your own advice, grow a set, and blow up on them. lets see how far in life you get with that. oh but its different when its your own job, and therefore your own families lifestyle on the line.

Sooner-N-KS
9/16/2006, 11:40 PM
A coach can't go off on officials, then any questionable calls will go against you. It is much like what happened when Tubbs was constantly needling the officials, eventually they tired of it and showed him and the team who is in control and can determine the outcome if they so wish.

That said, I would go ballistic.

The problem is that the calls are already going against OU. I just don't understand how we get so many obviously blown calls and reviews.

To me this looks like a possible turning point. I think Stoops needs to fight this publicly. He was quiet publicly last year about Tech, but it got us absolutely nowhere. This year we can't figure out why our talented defense is playing like they are. Recruits may see a coaching staff that doesn't fight for the team.

I hate to feel so negative about this, but how can the coaches just walk away quietly from this? We have now lost two of the last six games because officials made their calls by guessing, and the replay officials just didn't look at the tape. Not one honest person will step up and say that it should be Oregon's ball except for the replay official. Someone at the University of Oklahoma needs to stand up and say that this won't be tolerated!

StoopTroup
9/16/2006, 11:42 PM
And another thing. Some of the players may just not be that good. Let's stop sounding like GD and Mack haters here and start supporting those that have brought us back from the bowels of the 90's.
We went from pre-season #1 to 15 in less than a month without losing a game.

We knew we had lots of young guys entering this season.

Thing is...we've been there before and we seemed to have enough seasoned players to be a contender this year.

I still feel we can win the Big XII and maybe even get in a decent bowl...

Especially if Oregon can keep pulling off miracles the rest of the season. It will help our strength of schedule.

Death to the Whorns.

OUFan22
when it comes to the coaching staff, i would like to remind everyone to stand back and look at how much the coaching staff actually changes each year.

for example, one large problem is we have not been getting pressure on the qb like we are accustomed to. the dline coach is new on this staff this year because bobby jack wright is coaching the db's this year(i think?). remember also, we lost dusty d'voraceck. this guy is not someone who is easy to replace! he lead the nation in tackles for loss last year... thats good penetration. we dont have that right now. the guys to replace him are young. all of this can add up. so that means BV sucks? i dont think so. i think MS is better, but i think there are many many factors which are having an impact on this team, not just the coaching staff.

i think people need to be careful for what they ask for. nebraska got rid of frank solich and look at them. texas a&m got rid of rc slocum(sp?) and look at them.

additionally, all these people sayin that stoops needs to grow a set and throw a fit about the officiating, yelling and screaming... try this.. the next time management, or whoever is over you, at your place of employment does something that you just can not stand, why dont you take your own advice, grow a set, and blow up on them. lets see how far in life you get with that. oh but its different when its your own job, and therefore your own families lifestyle on the line.
If my boss was on me and I was right, I would stand up for myself. If her/she were right, I would sit back and take it. This is different since we were right and got screwed. He should stand up for his team. His job would not be in jeopardy if he stood up for what is morally right.

Sooner-N-KS
.....and what is the headline on SoonerSports.com?

"Blocked Field Goal Dooms OU" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

boomrsoonr
9/16/2006, 11:45 PM
We went from pre-season #1 to 15 in less than a month without losing a game.

We knew we had lots of young guys entering this season.

Thing is...we've been there before and we seemed to have enough seasoned players to be a contender this year.

I still feel we can win the Big XII and maybe even get in a decent bowl...

Especially if Oregon can keep pulling off miracles the rest of the season. It will help our strength of schedule.

Death to the Whorns.

You know as well as I do that pre-season polls are worthless.

GrapevineSooner
9/16/2006, 11:50 PM
It's not what Stoops does publically that matters. It's what he does privately when he calls up the Pac-10 director of officiation/video review and says..

"I did you guys a favor on Saturday. I took the high road publically.

Privately, I'm not going to be anywhere near as kind."

Then proceeds to rip the entire conference a new one.

jrsooner
9/16/2006, 11:56 PM
The point was made and I agree. If Bob does not defend his team on this regardless of the fine, then I believe he has to go. A coach not defending the blatent disregard for the rules should not have a place at Oklahoma.There's a time to yell and a time not to yell. This is surely the time to yell. This is not just a "standard" bad call. This was the call to end the game or not. If players don't think thier coach is going to stand up and shout at this blatant regards to keep a team from winning, then why the hell should they want to play their best for him?

SoonerGM
9/17/2006, 12:01 AM
standing up to the refs is like going in to a car dealership and dickering with the salesman for 8 hours to get the price down. you might walk away with the peace of mind thinking you got a good deal, but in the end you still got screwed, wasted your time, and they are still laughing at you.

im sorry, but if stoops was screaming and yelling about this like some of you want, he is going to look like a ****** bag(al gore when he lost his election? how about calahan?). nothing gets accomplished. he burns bridges with more refs. bad publicity. bad sportsmanship.

as for the boss thing, i find it laughable. truly, do stand up to your boss, screaming and yelling. it works great. you will truly succeed with big fat raises and lots of promotions. sometimes there is a difference between what you feel like doing, and what actually gets results.

RedstickSooner
9/17/2006, 12:04 AM
When the refs took away our win, our defense collapsed a bit.

We had the game won, period. Ball touched a duck after nine yards -- with the clock at a little over a minute, that means we take a knee for four downs and win.

Stoops should demand an explanation of why the Pac-10 instant review official(s) awarded the game to the Ducks, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to suggest pollsters vote the game by its proper result -- moving OU up and UO down in next week's polls.

Not that it'll ever happen, of course. Coaches (with rare exception) are afraid of being sanctioned or ridiculed if they actively call out the refs on things like this... Even when we have clear video evidence of what happened.

The onside kick going less than 10 yards was clear as day in the replay -- and the only reason a ref could rule against us with it is if they chose to do so in spite of the video evidence, rather than in response to it.

It also seems fairly apparent that they didn't bother reviewing whether we recovered the ball, since they were focused on who touched it first, and where. The question of which side actually recovered the ball would seem worthy of review as well -- unless it's unreviewable.

I don't see why we bother playing the games if the refs are going to choose the winner. There have been a lot of plays that had an impact on a game -- but rarely do you have a call that literally decides the winner. Had the play been called correctly, we won.

SoonerGM
9/17/2006, 12:04 AM
It's not what Stoops does publically that matters. It's what he does privately when he calls up the Pac-10 director of officiation/video review and says..

this is the smart way to do it. although, i have no faith that anything will really be accomplished, but at least he wont look like a whiny cry baby.

RedstickSooner
9/17/2006, 12:09 AM
this is the smart way to do it. although, i have no faith that anything will really be accomplished, but at least he wont look like a whiny cry baby.

Screw the high road. Footage of the onside kick should be sent to review refs from the Big 10, Big 12, and Big East. Ask them how they'd review that play, giving them all the angles the Pac-10 official(s) had.

When they all say, "That's incontrovertible video evidence the ball was touched by the kicking team before it travelled 10 yards", we can take the W.

That wasn't bad officiating. It was cheating.

rainiersooner
9/17/2006, 01:37 AM
You sir are exactly right! Bob Stoops needs to defend his boys to the end. If he doesn't, I will lose all respect for him. It is his job as the leader of the OU football team to fight, scratch, and do whatever it takes to ensure the the success and well-being of the team. If he doesnt have the balls to fight for what is right and just stands by and takes this up the ***, he is not a man. You can only use "the high road" so far. He makes PLENTY of money to speak up and deal with any fines that may come his way. If it were me in his shoes, I wouldn't lay down and would let them know what I thought.

Would he fight for his children if they were getting taken advantage of and robbed? Sure he would. The same principles apply here.

That's silly. You can't controll the refs. You can control poor play calling in the red zone and missed tackles. I'd rather he focus on that.

Blue
9/17/2006, 01:39 AM
That's silly. You can't controll the refs. You can control poor play calling in the red zone and missed tackles. I'd rather he focus on that.

Go ahead and convert RANIER. This was bull**** and we deserved the W.

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 02:02 AM
The call was bull****, but you can't argue that we folded like a house of cards BEFORE the onside kick. That's what has me worried. The defense always gets complacent when we go up on a team and it seems in the bag. They don't crush opponents and rub it in like they used.

However, we made the play on the onside kick, no doubt whatsoever. I don't think anyone can fault the defense's play after that. They were probably so bewildered that they couldn't even see straight. That's a mental preparation sort of thing, but after experiencing it at Tech last year, I can imagine they probably had the same thing going through their minds.

We still got screwed. :\

sooners2k3
9/17/2006, 04:26 AM
it's my personal opinion that stoops needs to go completely ape**** on these refs in a press conference soon. that is the only way to get ESPN, and other major networks, which then reaches to the majority of sports fans, to realize how badly we got jobbed.

Sooner-N-KS
9/17/2006, 08:14 AM

I disagree. I think that absolutely nothing happens with this in private. There will be no pressure on anyone to say or do anything. This needs to go public to put pressure on someone.

ESPN Gameday wrap-up mentioned that OU got screwed and that college replay was in danger, but then they just casually moved on.

Stoops needs a press conference today to get this issue front and center on the news. I don't think anyone can watch the replays and say that he's being a crybaby or sore losser. All college fans want good officiating and fair replays. I think fans everywhere would stand behind Stoops.

If Stoops stays quiet I'm afraid I may lose some respect for him. Our coaching staff is placing themselves in a position where we are going to start asking, "What is going on with these guys?"

OUFan22
9/17/2006, 08:30 AM
How about accountability and rercourse!!!!!! It's not silly. Fight for what's right.

stoopified
9/17/2006, 08:52 AM
We made enough plays to win if we hadn't got screwed by the refs.HOWEVER WE did not play SOONER FOOTBALL,if we had,we would have won anyway.

AlbqSooner
9/17/2006, 08:58 AM
Anybody remember the public reaction from Switzer after the fiasco in the Texas game in I think '85?

Neither do I, and I was at that game and felt as jobbed then as I do now.

This is as much history as that. It is just more recent. We need to move on and make preparations to run the table from here out, taking another Big XII trophy to the Switzer Center.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:00 AM
Whoa there guys. Coaching is a big part of any team sport. But last I checked, execution on the part of the players was very important to the outcome. Venables and Stoops aren't the ones that are missing tackles. And they aren't the ones that are letting receivers get behind them on 4th and 6 plays.

But they are supposed to teach tackling techniques and how to keep the receivers in front of you. They aren't supposed to just recruit good players and turn them loose to do what they want.

tnraider1
9/17/2006, 09:01 AM
For those talking about yelling and screaming at your boss, I didn't realize that the PAC 10 Officials signed Bob's paycheck. I too would raise hell. Instant reply was brought in to keep bad calls from changing outcomes, and it can do that if the refs don't blow off the evidence that they were wrong. When UO scored the last TD, I wouldn't be surprised if Bob told the guys to let them score. The refs were going to maike sure that it happened anyway, just like Tech. If that's the case, good coaching move by Bob. If not, horrible play and coaching to let a guy ten yards behind you into the end zone. It's crap like this that make me not watch Pro ball anymore. Another screw job by the refs this year, and I'll quit watching college ball too. You think Bobby Bowden wouldn't say something, how about Paterno, what would Switzer do. He was never at a loss for words. Give em Hell Bob, or get ready for more of the same.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:05 AM
We have now lost two of the last six games because officials made their calls by guessing, and the replay officials just didn't look at the tape. Not one honest person will step up and say that it should be Oregon's ball except for the replay official. Someone at the University of Oklahoma needs to stand up and say that this won't be tolerated!

Not only two of the last six games but our only two losses during that period were the direct result of biased, not just inept, but biased officiating. I say that because the call that beat us in Lubbock was made by a Lubbock business owner and the play was confirmed in the booth by a Lubbock businessman. Yesterday, the calls were made by Pac-10 officials.

And you're calling the replay official "honest" is being generous.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2006, 09:12 AM
I used to think that only 'rassling and the NBA was fixed; now i'm adding college football to that list; the Pac 10 and the University of Oregon should be embarrassed to accept that win yesterday, and to me it has nothing to do with the 2 replayed calls but the fact that OREGON NEVER RECOVERED THE ONSIDE KICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:14 AM
He can publicly criticize the officiating without sounding like a "whiney baby" as some have called it.

He can say that the outcomes of the games should be decided by the play on the field and not by the officials. But that bogus call and the bogus reinforcement by the official in the booth, the game was decided right then and there who the victor was going to be and it was decided by the men in stripes and not the players.

To reinforce the position that it was decided right then and there, later on the winning drive we got called for a pass interferrence that should not have been called because of the deflection that, too, showed very clearly on the replays that the booth official disregarded.

Texas Golfer
9/17/2006, 09:18 AM
I used to think that only 'rassling and the NBA was fixed; now i'm adding college football to that list; the Pac 10 and the University of Oregon should be embarrassed to accept that win yesterday, and to me it has nothing to do with the 2 replayed calls but the fact that OREGON NEVER RECOVERED THE ONSIDE KICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only did the replay official's decision **** me off but the words that were used made it particularly bogus.

He didn't say that the replay was "inconclusive". He said "indisputable video evidence showed OU touched the ball first" which is wrong, at best, and a lie, at worst.

But also the official running up to the pile claims Oregon had possession of the football when Patrick was standing there with it even before the official ran up to the pile. What Duck did that official see had possession?

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 10:50 AM
But they are supposed to teach tackling techniques and how to keep the receivers in front of you. They aren't supposed to just recruit good players and turn them loose to do what they want.

And you actually think they aren't doing that?:rolleyes:

josh09
9/17/2006, 11:34 AM
Anyone heard a peep yet out of Stoops via radio or tv? Interested to hear his postgame reaction.

ya on sportscenter it showed him in i guess the locker room after the game. he said something about "they made contact with us and the ball before 10 yards, and i think they werent aloud to do that, but just ask the refs on that one" something like that

he was definately ****ed, and i sensed some sarcasm in his voice on the last half of that sentence.

birddog
9/17/2006, 11:40 AM
anyone have a link to the post-game interview?

TexasLidig8r
9/17/2006, 11:58 AM
Perhaps a better avenue to pursue would be...

For Stoops to come out and publicly say that for many reasons, your university, your team, your fans are all disappointed in the outcome of the game for many reasons, but are putting it behind you as your prepare for your next game and the rest of the season.

At the same time, your Athletic Director steps to the plate and announces that he has reviewed the tapes, has them, and intends to meet with the head of officiating for the NCAA and intends to file a protest and to seek upgrades and improvements to the system. The AD can publicly berate the officiating (albeit in tactful ways) and announce that the officiating appeared to be very one sided at the end of the game, that mistakes were obviously made and that he will be seeking an investigation not only into that game, but the system as a whole.

Stoops can't do it and maintain credibility (the rest of the nation would respond with, "well yes but coach, your defense had the chance to stop them even with the bad calls and in any event, why in the blue hell weren't you playing a Cover 2 on that last drive) and the repercussions in future games from other officiating crews could be felt as well.

fadada1
9/17/2006, 12:00 PM
everyone seems to say - "we should've put the game away earlier."

that would be true if it were against "the sisters of the weak." but this was against a top 20 team - that knows how to play football. in the game we don't speak of, the players decided the outcome of the game, and we got our butts handed to us - fair and square.

in this, and the tech game, we did the things necessary to win, and the officials decided the outcome of the game. THAT, is what makes me sick.

soonersweetie
9/17/2006, 12:24 PM
I think everyone is in agreement that we should have played better, that our defense was less than what we are accustomed to at OU.

However...

That being said, regardless of what the score is, each team has the right to have the right calls officiated on the field. OU was not given that right. We were cheated, raped in an odd sort of way.

What sucks most about this to me is that so what if we beat Middle Tenn St next week, or even tx or even meet Oregon again in the Holiday Bowl. Nothing will ever erase yesterday. There is nothing anyone can say or do to make yesterday any better. And that's what eats at me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sooners and I want us to win, but as a fan, I just don't have the energy right now to get up the effort to go through another game to have it all blown away with a few bad calls because the reps can't seem to get things correct. Not only does replay suck as it stands right now, but the clock rules at the end of the game are a total mess. No one knows what is going on... the players, the coaches, the refs, etc. It's a mess. Needs to go back to the way it was.

I feel like my family was cheated and there is nothing I can do to right the situation. I imagine our players feel the same way. As a player, how do you get up the motivation to go back out on the field? It's going to be a couple of rough weeks for our players and our fans. I still love my Sooners and come game day I will be yelling with my jersey on and willing them on to a victory, but for now I am sad.

I currently live out here in San Diego, but I just talked to my dad who lives right outside of Tulsa and he said it is raining and dark and dreary. Not storming he said, but just that sad kind of dark, gloomy rain. How appropriate for the day and the circumstances.

Boomer Sooner!!

CrimsonChampion
9/17/2006, 12:29 PM
Stoops seems to have lost his balls when his brother up and left. He won't call anyone out. I love the guy but he just seems to roll with it now.
He and his brother are better with each other and I wanna see his bro back.
That's garbage, Stoops does things the right way, he doesn't go after people in the media, he does it face to face. I can guarentee you the NCAA will hear from Castiglione and Coach Stoops. If I remember correctly, coaches grade the officials after each game also, but I promise you we'll do more than that. It's just stupid to feed the media and cowardly call someone out on camera.

BIG_IKE
9/17/2006, 12:31 PM

If you are a Division 1A Defensive College Football player you should have learned how to tackle before you signed a letter of intent.

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 12:41 PM
It's already in the media. Stoops doesn't have to throw a fit as long as the media is doing it for him. By him staying calm and collected, he doesn't look like an overzealous fan. He looks like a head coach that has this **** together.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2006, 01:19 PM
Especially if the refs can keep pulling off miracles for Oregon the rest of the season. It will help our strength of schedule.

Fixed.

StoopTroup
9/17/2006, 02:30 PM
He can publicly criticize the officiating without sounding like a "whiney baby" as some have called it.

He can say that the outcomes of the games should be decided by the play on the field and not by the officials. But that bogus call and the bogus reinforcement by the official in the booth, the game was decided right then and there who the victor was going to be and it was decided by the men in stripes and not the players.

To reinforce the position that it was decided right then and there, later on the winning drive we got called for a pass interferrence that should not have been called because of the deflection that, too, showed very clearly on the replays that the booth official disregarded.
I've always enjoyed your posts as I can read them easily.

Do you use a special keyboard?

http://specialed.umf.maine.edu/Comp/Images/big_key_keyboard.jpg

StoopTroup
9/17/2006, 02:33 PM
Fixed.
After further review...there is enough evidence for a jury to hang the replay refs.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2006, 02:39 PM
everyone seems to say - "we should've put the game away earlier."

that would be true if it were against "the sisters of the weak." but this was against a top 20 team - that knows how to play football. in the game we don't speak of, the players decided the outcome of the game, and we got our butts handed to us - fair and square.

in this, and the tech game, we did the things necessary to win, and the officials decided the outcome of the game. THAT, is what makes me sick.
Well that's because we should have put the game away earlier; we had 2 chances in the 4th quarter inside the 10 yard line to score a TD, and both times we come away with field goals; a TD either time, and we aren't even having this discussion today. I'm as ****ed as everyone else about the officiating and the replay dorks, but it should have never come to that. :(

Sooner-N-KS
9/17/2006, 02:47 PM
It's already in the media. Stoops doesn't have to throw a fit as long as the media is doing it for him. By him staying calm and collected, he doesn't look like an overzealous fan. He looks like a head coach that has this **** together.

I don't believe that it's already in the media. It has been briefly mentioned as they move on to other games.

Here's how the media coverage has been:
"Oklahoma was stunned on Saturday by the #18 Oregon Ducks. There was a bad replay review against Oklahoma, but the Duck are going to be a team to be watched in weeks to come. In other news, Texas Tech had an anal exam given to them by TCU........"

OUstudent4life
9/17/2006, 02:47 PM
Stoops should say nothing, besides focusing the team on the coming weeks.

Goodness knows that'll be hard enough.

Castiglione, though, should call in every mob favor he can get.

And SCREAM!!!

boomrsoonr
9/17/2006, 03:06 PM
I don't believe that it's already in the media. It has been briefly mentioned as they move on to other games.

Here's how the media coverage has been:
"Oklahoma was stunned on Saturday by the #18 Oregon Ducks. There was a bad replay review against Oklahoma, but the Duck are going to be a team to be watched in weeks to come. In other news, Texas Tech had an anal exam given to them by TCU........"

Well, this guy has put it on CFN and Fox Sports. And I've seen several instances where announcers yesterday stated that the officiating cost us the game. By Wednesday, at the latest, I predict it will be in every major news outlet. Most haven't seen the evidence yet.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1549746#post1549746

noobalicious
9/17/2006, 04:33 PM
Stoops was on the break on CBS halftime just now and he said something to the effect of "you have to expect that the people that are paid to be in position to make the calls will make the right calls" and "if I start complaining and whining then I become the story, so people can look at the video and make of it what they will".

Also they showed a CRYSTAL clear version of the endzone view...so obvious that Oregon never had possession. I think Patrick didn't have a view at what went on in the pile so he just assumed that while he had the ball it didn't matter.

I can't believe this...I'm more ****ed than yesterday!

Vaevictis
9/17/2006, 04:41 PM
He didn't say that the replay was "inconclusive". He said "indisputable video evidence showed OU touched the ball first" which is wrong, at best, and a lie, at worst.

"After review, there is conclusive video evidence that the ball was touched by a receiving team player, which makes the ball live."

That's exactly what the ref said. The worst thing to me is that it sounds as if the refs think that if any OU player touches the ball -- irrespective of whether Oregon touched the ball before the restraining line -- then the ball becomes live.

Which is the only conclusion I can come to, given that it's patently clear that Oregon touched the ball prior to the restraining line. Which means that the f'in Pac-10 refs don't even know the rules of the game.

Note that the rulebook states that if the kicking team touches the ball prior to the restraining line, the receiving team can elect to take the ball from the spot of the touch.

Jewstin
9/17/2006, 04:48 PM
"After review, there is conclusive video evidence that the ball was touched by a receiving team player, which makes the ball live."

That's exactly what the ref said. The worst thing to me is that it sounds as if the refs think that if any OU player touches the ball -- irrespective of whether Oregon touched the ball before the restraining line -- then the ball becomes live.

One thing that crossed my mind that could have potentially happened -- the on field referee misinterpreted the result of the review from the booth. When he first started issuing the statement, I breathed a sigh of life. Then he said "receiving" instead of "defending" and ruled it was Oregon's ball. Didn't make one damn bit of sense ... the ruling itself doesn't even make sense, because whether or not an OU player touched it after ten yards isn't in question.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, boy.

GreenSooner
9/17/2006, 04:52 PM
One thing that crossed my mind that could have potentially happened -- the on field referee misinterpreted the result of the review from the booth. When he first started issuing the statement, I breathed a sigh of life. Then he said "receiving" instead of "defending" and ruled it was Oregon's ball. Didn't make one damn bit of sense ... the ruling itself doesn't even make sense, because whether or not an OU player touched it after ten yards isn't in question.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, boy.

I had exactly the same thought. You could write a book about how scru'd up this call was. And among many other things, the ruling from the on-field officials simply made no sense as a ruling, putting aside for a second that it bore no relationship to the action on the field or in the replay.

bakerjrb
9/17/2006, 05:14 PM
The best reaction from Stoops, and from the University as a whole would be to call a VERY public press conference on Monday, and let Joe C. announce to the world that OU is severing its association with Nike.

He wouldn't have to explain anything - the media could draw its own conclusions.

Nike is owned by P Knight - the sugar daddy for the Oregon Ducks.

This move would announce in no uncertain terms that we're mad as hell, and not going to take this kind of treatment anymore.

It would be fine with me for OU to wear Adidas or Under Armor or any other company that does not subsidize overt cheating, in order to make a statement like this.

jrb