PDA

View Full Version : holy carp lips is awesomse

Hatfield
9/16/2006, 02:01 AM
just so you know

KaiserSooner
9/16/2006, 02:50 AM
Yep. They kicked a$$ tonight. It was my first Lips concert, and I'm in total awe.

By the way, was anyone apart of that massive will call line that resulted in chaos? Yeah...that was pretty interesting, but I had a sh!tload of fun tonight. I'll never forget it.

OUAndy1807
9/16/2006, 06:14 AM
was it better than the boombox experiments?

slickdawg
9/16/2006, 06:40 AM
carp lips don't look so good to me.

http://www.karperland.nl/images/Carp%2099.jpg

Hatfield
9/16/2006, 07:00 AM
Yep. They kicked a$$ tonight. It was my first Lips concert, and I'm in total awe.

By the way, was anyone apart of that massive will call line that resulted in chaos? Yeah...that was pretty interesting, but I had a sh!tload of fun tonight. I'll never forget it.

knew the will call would be a cluster so i went and got my tickets at 2 in the afternoon.

what an amazing show.

KaiserSooner
9/16/2006, 09:41 AM
was it better than the boombox experiments?

Don't know, wasn't at any of them. I'm betting they're two different experiences.

KaiserSooner
9/16/2006, 09:56 AM
knew the will call would be a cluster so i went and got my tickets at 2 in the afternoon.

what an amazing show.

Cluster doesn't describe it.

My friend and I got in line about 7:30. About 8:30 the Zoo people started to break up the line according to alphabetical order.....which was completely chaotic. Around 10 til 9:00, they finally got to the Ss. Where they told the S's (that's my last name) to go was actually for names ending in E through F, so we lost our place in line, as did several thousand others.

At that point, the lines were replaced by a mob of confused, almost angry people. I think the Zoo folks just gave up because at that point, they stopped the WHOLE process and threw open the gates, letting everybody in, ticket or no ticket.

That's okay, though. We actually had fun waiting in line, talking to the people around us.

LilSooner
9/16/2006, 10:48 AM
The whole thing was greatness. We got there earlier and it the line thing sucked major monkey balls. Stardeath and White Dwarfs were really good. Deerhoof not so much.

bri
9/16/2006, 11:30 AM
The will call line was some fresh hell...but I was making friends with the two hotties in front of me. I probably could have pulled a Fredo, but they cut my game short when they declared "ANARCHY!" and just let us all in. :D

And the show rocked so very hard. I can't wait to see the DVD. :D

OUstudent4life
9/16/2006, 11:31 AM
It RAWKED!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know, btw, the name of the fanfare that started the show?

Spaceships and light-up whistles are cool.

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 10:27 AM
Do you mean the first actual song they played? Race for the Prize. The last encore song they played was Love Yer Brain, which is about 20 years old, off of Oh My Gawd. It was pretty amazing, and I bet they haven't done that one regularly in concert for more than 10 years. At least in concerts I've been to. They didn't do it at Red Rocks in July, either. I think it might have been a special treat for old-timer OKC fans in attendance. I'm only slightly disappointed that they didn't break the **** out of a piano like they did in the studio.

They get knocked for not being especially good musicians in the early days, but if you listen to that song and don't agree that it's beautiful, I will fight you, and that's no lie.

Other differences between this show and the Red Rocks show (the most recent one I've been to):

At Red Rocks I was really disappointed that they didn't play The Spark That Bled. Even though I know it has become cliche, and it's now a bit of self-parody, I think the moment that he pours blood on his forehead during that song, and wipes it from his brow, is somehow special, and visceral, especially when you know the Miles Davis inspired story behind it. Glad they played it here.
No War Pigs. I wondered if they were trying not to **** off the home crowd. Obviously, he still made some anti-Bush and anti-war statements, but he was a bit more vocal in Colorado (no surprise there), and they rocked the **** out of that song. As far as I know they've played it everywhere on this tour. I will say that song is a bit stronger with the giant video screen flashing political figures in the background, something that was impossible with the UFO installed. Overall, I think a Lips crowd, even those of us who disagree with some of what Wayne has to say politically, wouldn't have been bothered by, and would even appreciate, that song. But frankly, I'd guess 50% + of Friday's crowd weren't really Lips fans (at least before they saw the show), and were just there to see what it was all about. At the end of the day, Wayne and Steven still have to live here and shop at Home Depot and Target, as does Michael's family. If they toned down their rhetoric because of that, I can understand. Glad I got to see it at Red Rocks, and I bet they revive it in Austin tonight.
Speaking of the UFO, I'm so happy to have seen it, and it's incredibly cool, but it's not such a bad thing that they won't be touring with it. Sacrificing the huge video screen behind them takes away from what their show has become, to some extent. They (along with George Salisbury) have an amazing talent for melding pictures, written words and video with the music, and that's part of what has made their shows so awesome in recent years. Sorry a lot of you OKC folks couldn't see the video stuff, but you can say you are the only people to have seen a UFO show. By the way, I'm kind of glad they now don't plan to tour with that thing. I was standing about ten feet away from it when Wayne descended, and if he did that every night he almost surely would break his neck at some tour stop. I was scared ****less.
Another song they didn't play: Bohemian Raphsody. Meh. It was fun that they did it for the Queen tribute, and I think they did a wonderful job, but if that's what they punted to make room for Love Yer Brain, it was a good tradeoff.
I thought having Michael wear the giant hands, instead of Wayne, during A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, was great. In Denver, I can't remember which song they were playing when Wayne wore them, but I don't think they played Spoonful at all. Anyway, Michael is always so quiet, and stoic, sitting in his chair, thumping his bass, that you don't know if he's having fun or not. Seeing him, grinning, give Wayne a hug with the big hands was funny and endearing.All in all, it was a great show. I lucked out and got to hang in the VIP area at the front of the stage, between the crowd fence and the stage itself. Not crowded at all, and I was about 10-15 feet from the band. I'm still pulling confetti out of my underwear. Looking back over the crowd fence at a full ampitheater was amazing. It was probably only half of the people at Red Rocks, but you have to remember that the last time they played OKC, it was to 2,000 at the Coca-Cola Events Center in Bricktown. The time before that, it was a few hundred at Will Rogers theater. This had to be, for them, one of the most memorable concerts they've ever performed.

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 10:37 AM
Here's a clip of the Race For The Prize opening on Friday: Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQX5YxUlQ_c)

Here's Wayne descening in the space bubble (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZRnnhqpozA).

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 10:38 AM
Here's the UFO landing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2_ndhBjhE).

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 11:18 AM
I got some (crappy) phone pictures that I'll try to post later. I kept thinking "oh, I should have shot a pic of that" after it happened. Mostly, I was too busy getting my face rocked off to remember to shoot photos.

LilSooner
9/17/2006, 11:44 AM
Rhino has some decent video from far back of the UFO and a couple of songs. I'm sure when he gets up and is coherent he will try to post those some time tomorrow.

I'm also super happy that the Evangelicals got a record deal. They were really good, and I remember when the lead singer (guy with green hair) first came by Rhino's old apartment with one of their first CD's, wanting him to review it.

King Crimson
9/17/2006, 01:41 PM
Jed, what's the Miles Davis story?

I really like O My Gawd. some great weirdness on that one.

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 02:35 PM
Jed, what's the Miles Davis story?

I really like O My Gawd. some great weirdness on that one.
Wayne says that the reason he puts the blood on his forehead during shows is sort of an homage to Miles Davis, who he is a fan of. He talks about black and white photos of Davis in a pale suit, covered with his own blood. In 1959 Davis was playing a show at Birdland in Manhattan, when he supposedly stepped outside during a break to smoke or something when a New York cop approached him and busted him up with a nightstick.

Miles believed it was racially motivated, which may have had something to do with the fact that he was with his white girlfriend. Anyway, Miles picked himself back up, went back inside and finished the show, bloody forehead, suit and all.

Wayne's stated feeling on this, although he admits that it has become cliche and ultimately less and less meaningful for him to do it, is that it provokes a powerful response in the viewer, and to him symbolizes beauty and grace confronting ignorance and brutality.

He talks about it in Bradley Beesley's documentary Fearless Freaks, and in other written commentary elsewhere.

This entertaining review (http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/f/fearless-freaks-dvd.shtml) of the movie talks about it:

To remove bloodstains from a white suit, soak the suit in cold water for a few hours.

"That really is my main job," Coyne offers, carrying his blood-soaked suit to the bathroom, "Keeping my bloody suits reasonably clean for the next day." The blood is fake, but Coyne's intentions are real: he cites famous photographs of a bloodied Miles Davis, after sustaining an unprovoked attack of police nightsticks in 1959, as striking and influential images. Coyne's onstage theatrics -- singing "The Spark That Bled" with fake blood running down his forehead -- aren't empty gestures akin to KISS' B-movie poses. They're about contaminating contexts, decorating pristine pop music with ghastly ornamentations. The Lips' targeted scope is beyond ambitious; it's a party of philosophical and existential proportions. Still, a party's a party. Coyne gets his hands dirty and cleans up the mess.

BigRedJed
9/17/2006, 02:37 PM
http://static.last.fm/proposedimages/original/6/6693346/52339.jpg

Rhino
9/17/2006, 08:41 PM
I have a really cool video of The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, but it's too big for YouTube (that's what she said)

If anyone has suggestions for hosting a 104 MB video file elsewhere, let me know.

Czar Soonerov
9/17/2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.snapdrive.net/

You can upload 100mb files there.

KaiserSooner
9/18/2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the YouTube links, BRJ.

BigRedJed
9/18/2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the YouTube links, BRJ.
My pleasure!

Better shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvLd2N2uR0&mode=related&search=) of Wayne descending from the UFO

BigRedJed
9/18/2006, 11:09 AM
Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxqfEU5EWI&mode=related&search=) from Vein of Stars

BigRedJed
9/18/2006, 11:11 AM
You know what they say about big hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbdMGuCQJ0U&mode=related&search=)...

...big gloves.

BigRedJed
9/18/2006, 11:17 AM
What the craphell? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMpvdLXno&mode=related&search=)

KaiserSooner
9/18/2006, 04:43 PM
Heh. Sounds like Wayne being Wayne.

GDC
9/18/2006, 07:13 PM
It was a night of divine madness
By MATT ELLIOTT World Scene Writer
9/18/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Where else but at a Flaming Lips concert can you sit next to a beer-drinking robot as the UFO arrives?
The Flaming Lips singer/high priest Wayne Coyne has said his band uses its spectacular live shows to mask its talentlessness.

The band proved those self-deprecating words to be false Friday as it has many times before in an energetic and absurdist psychedelic show at Oklahoma City's 9,000-seat Zoo Amphitheatre, performing for a standing room-only audience that packed the outdoor venue.

Coyne and the band led the crowd like Willy Wonka through their concert, playing much material from its most recent album, "At War with the Mystics," including "Free Radicals," "The W.A.N.D.," and "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song," while also including fan favorites such as "Do You Realize." They played with an energy, openness and spontaneity that can only come from the comfort a band gets playing to their hometown crowd. The music and the show were jaw-dropping, and Coyne told the audience it was being recorded for a live DVD.

Playing at the Zoo Amphitheatre "was the best night we could've asked for," Coyne told the audience.

Even before it started, I knew the show would be interesting. Driving home that point was a man standing next to me

dressed up like a robot resembling the unfortunate offspring of a drunken pairing of the Tin Man with the robot from "Lost In Space." Others in the crowd were dressed up as well.

He had foil arms and for his hands, clamps at the end of poles that were operated by levers held in his real hands. In his human hand, he clutched a 24 oz.-can of Bud Light. A silver mask covered his face. On the back of his box-shaped silver body were painted the words, "Feel Unit."

The robot spoke to me through the stench of gas station beer and marijuana smoke:

"What do you think they'll play first?" he said.

I don't know, I said.

He looked disappointed at my response and took an awkward step back, saying:

"I'm just messing with you, man. I've got my own set list in my head."

He then turned his metal gaze back to the stage, over which a flying saucer now hovered as roadies scurried about.

Finally, the moment we came for: the UFO descended, lights flashed and twinkled, aliens and Santa Claus people (audience members dressed in costumes) mobbed corners of the stage waving spotlights and joined by superheroes, and a ladder was placed at the UFO's base. From it emerged the Oklahoma indie rock gods known to their fans as "The Lips."

The crowd wailed as Coyne emerged from the top of the flying saucer, put himself inside his famous plastic bubble and awkwardly walked down the UFO's gangplank into the waiting arms of the superheroes, who placed the human gerbil ball into the audience.

Coyne crawled over the audience with the bubble's roll and bandmate Steven Drozd pounded away at his keyboard. The UFO's lights pulsed with the music. Streamers and confetti burst over the audience. The Feel Unit hit me in the head with a robot hand. He later fell on my wife.

Later on, Coyne, who spoke much with the audience, said that "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" has taken on a new life as a protest song.

Coyne sang, "if you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch, would you do it?" and the audience sang back, per his instructions, "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah."

They also played "She Don't Use Jelly," the 1993 hit and snapshot that familiarized pop radio, and unsophisticated dolts like me who wouldn't otherwise know anything about them, with a small part of their sound.

Just when I thought the Alice-In-Wonderland stuff was over, a red-headed woman grabbed my ink pen as I wrote notes in my notepad during "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1."

She asked me what I was writing, and I told her I was writing what Coyne was saying.

She then took my pen and notepad. I threw up my hands, knowing my story was going to be terrible anyway. She then asked if there was something she could write down for me. She swayed on her feet and I shrugged my shoulders.

She scrawled "Yoshima," spelling the song wrong in my notepad and handed it back to me, with a drunken half-smile. It was that kind of crowd.

Coyne urged attendees to give a wide berth to aging cynics who say that being smart is just another curse.

He urged them to go crazy and alternately told the crowd to tell their loved ones and their fellow concert-goers that they love them.

Then, a woman kissed my wife several times on the cheek and hand. Another woman told my wife her hair smelled good.

After two encores, the spell was over and reality returned. As a now-calm but bleary-eyed mob, we made our way to the exit like we were leaving what could've been any other rock show, but we knew it was something much more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Elliott 581-8366
[email protected].

sooneron
9/19/2006, 10:47 PM
Got my tickets for Monday's show at the Hammerstein Ballroom. CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

Prolly no ufo, tho.

bri
9/19/2006, 11:17 PM
Meh, you're not really missing that much. I'd rather have the video screen and the full Lips experience...

Hatfield
9/20/2006, 08:30 AM
Meh, you're not really missing that much. I'd rather have the video screen showing the boobies and the full Lips experience...

you don't say....

sooneron
9/20/2006, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I figured it's a trade off of one greatness for another.

bri
9/20/2006, 08:56 AM
"Greatness" is a bit of a stretch for the UFO. I mean, it was cool, but pretty much all it was good for was the Wayne space bubble walk that scared the f*ck out of me 'cause I just knew he was gonna take a header off that thing...and so did he. ;)

sooneron
9/20/2006, 09:07 AM
But, I love danger.

bri
9/20/2006, 10:04 AM
So do I...but I love mind-blowing visuals even more. :D

BigRedJed
9/20/2006, 12:35 PM
I agree. Not to knock the UFO. It was cool and different, if you've seen the other shows. If you've seen the other shows, however, you also know that the Lips combine the video experience with their shows perhaps better than any other band. I missed them, but 8,000 of the people at that show didn't know any different.

GDC
9/20/2006, 12:36 PM
I agree. Not to knock the UFO. It was cool and different, if you've seen the other shows. If you've seen the other shows, however, you also know that the Lips combine the video experience with their shows perhaps better than any other band. I missed them, but 8,000 of the people at that show didn't know any different.

Didn't Boston and ELO pretty much wear out the UFO thing back in the seventies?

Rhino
9/20/2006, 12:39 PM
Didn't Boston and ELO pretty much wear out the UFO thing back in the seventies? No, P-Funk did.

GDC
9/20/2006, 12:40 PM
There was a band actually called UFO, but I don't know if they actually had a giant UFO onstage or not.

bri
9/20/2006, 01:21 PM
It would almost be ironic if they didn't.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 01:39 PM
It would almost be ironic if they didn't.
heh!

bri
3/14/2007, 09:35 PM
Did someone say "DVD"? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWY99Y6Kifw) :D

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2007, 09:38 PM
Did someone say "DVD"? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWY99Y6Kifw) :D

Take that, Tulsa! ;)

soonercody
3/14/2007, 09:39 PM
Friendly reminder they'll be at Bonnaroo (www.bonnaroo.com) this year.

bri
3/14/2007, 09:45 PM
Friendly reminder they'll be at Bonnaroo (http://www.bonnaroo.com) this year.

Less friendly reminder that they'll also be at D-Fest (http://www.dfest.com/) this year.

SUCK IT, OKC!!! ;)

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2007, 09:50 PM
Less friendly reminder that they'll also be at D-Fest (http://www.dfest.com/) this year.

SUCK IT, OKC!!! ;)

So will I? :O

Suck it, Turner Turnpike!

bri
3/14/2007, 09:51 PM
Certainly, the Turner sucks in a great way. Everyone knows that.