PDA

View Full Version : Score!

Norm In Norman
9/15/2006, 11:10 PM
Here is my long happy story for today. You'll be bored to tears by the end of it.

Let me start my story out with this: at work we have a consultant. Somehow this consultant has become more than a consultant. He is somehow in charge of our databases. Like head DBA or something. Nothing happens to a database unless it goes through him. He doesn't give advice (aka consult), he gives orders. As you can imagine, the guy is a real dickhead. I've had a run in with him before where he refused to help me with something because I was supporting a PHP app and evidently PHP is the debil to him.

So anyway, at work we were posed with a problem. We have this system where customers can call because they haven't received their money yet and someone (CSR) can look at their forms and tell the customer what is wrong with their form. The problem is the forms are all scanned in as tiffs. Tiffs are a standard thing, but they do NOT show up inline in web pages like (for instance) web pages do. So right now the CSR has to click on each individual image that is in a form to view it and that takes some time, especially since some of the forms are 200 pages.

Well, my group heard about this and we posed a solution I came up with. This solution made it's way to the director. Since we said it would be easy to do and it's really a good solution she decided to let us see if it would work like we thought it would. Evidently Mr. Consultant was working on his own uber solution for this that supposed to blow us all away, but they decided to let us do a proof of concept anyway so we could have a backup in case Mr. Consultant's idea didn't work.

My solution? To have the web app send some data to an (evil) PHP script and based on that data pull out the approprate tiff files from the database, parse through the tiffs, then insert them into a pdf. I got this done in about a day and a half (including learning how to parse through a tiff). Mr. Consultant spent months on his idea and it's wasn't working good because the software they had to buy has to convert the image to a jpg before it spits out the images, which takes longer than it's supposed to. He sent a trouble report to the people who wrote the software they bought though. The patch they sent back to him nearly broke our development server so they had install it on another server just to get it to work.

So after postponing our meeting for 8 days, today we finally got to demo our solutions to the director and some other bigwigs. We walked in, they logged on to the web system, clicked on a link to my solution, and BOOM the pdf pops up in acrobat reader with the 10 or so images it was supposed to show. The consultant wasn't looking happy. So we try another one and ... well, it went pretty slow. The consultant timed it at 48 seconds (yes, he was timing it). He had a little smirk on his face while it was loading - until we discover the form had 500 images associated with it. The pdf file was probably 100 megs, so of course it was going to go slow.

So then it was time for Mr. Consultant to demo his solution. "Do you have firefox installed on this machine" they asked? Nope. "Well, uhm, we have to recompile it in order for it to work in IE. And it's taking at least 30 seconds for every single form we pull up anyway. So I guess the other solution is better right now."

So now I'm like a hero at work or something. Everyone kept telling me afterwards congrats on an awesome solution. I think the best part is people are tired of the consultant's crap and are happy that my "free" solution was way better than his "spend a lot of money" solution.

In your face, stupid consultant!

critical_phil
9/15/2006, 11:15 PM
If you're going to tell a story, have a point--it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

http://otherstuff.laurelandhardycentral.com/pixm/planes.jpg

Norm In Norman
9/15/2006, 11:17 PM
If you're going to tell a story, have a point--it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.
Sorry about that. I made the assumption that the reader would have to know how to read in order to understand the point.

critical_phil
9/15/2006, 11:20 PM
you lost me when you used the word work.

OCUDad
9/15/2006, 11:20 PM
I read the whole thing. But you were wrong... I was bored to tears after the first sentence.

Widescreen
9/15/2006, 11:22 PM
Math is hard.

And congrats on kicking the consultant's arse. He'll probably stew about it all weekend.

OCUDad
9/15/2006, 11:24 PM
Norm obviously agrees with the standard definition of a consultant: someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is.

Norm In Norman
9/15/2006, 11:25 PM
Ok, here is the short version:
Consultant = c0cksucker
2 solutions to view tiffs
Consultant thinks he's won
Norm shows consultant and director that norm rules and consultant sucks
Norm is the office hero
The end

You guys really don't like my stories unless they end badly for me.

GottaHavePride
9/15/2006, 11:26 PM
Just ask the consultant "So... what would you say you do here?'

OCUDad
You guys really don't like my stories unless they end badly for me.Well, they're really not much fun the other way.

Vaevictis
And congrats on kicking the consultant's arse. He'll probably stew about it all weekend.

It always sucks to get shown up, but I've always found it hurts a little less when the hours are billable in spite of it ;)

hurricane'bone
I'd take a crap in his chair for good measure.

Norm In Norman
9/15/2006, 11:29 PM
You know, I honestly don't think all consultants are bad. In fact, we have another consultant and he isn't outrageously expensive and he's quite good. He actually gives advice and does projects we ask him to do in a reasonable amount of time. We recently had another consultant for about 2 years and that guy was horrible and was a bigger jackass than the consultant from my story. We've basically had to redo everything he spent 2 years trying to get set up AND he's off doing some more consulting somewhere else.

jkm is going to be all over this thread.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/15/2006, 11:30 PM
Just ask the consultant "So... what would you say you do here?'

I'M A PEOPLE PERSON, DAMMIT!!! :D

OCUDad
9/15/2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.despair.com/consulting.html

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/15/2006, 11:39 PM
jkm is going to be all over this thread.

the stories i could tell.

my first thought was OCR into PDF, but then i remembered you work for the state of oklahoma.

Norm In Norman
9/15/2006, 11:44 PM
See? You came up with a solution where we would have had to spend money on OCR software in order to use the solution. My way is free and lets acrobat reader take care of all the hard stuff like zooming, changing pages, thumbnails, etc.

Besides, OCR wouldn't work good on handwritten forms. And they look at the forms just to make sure there wasn't a computer or data entry error.

Vaevictis
9/15/2006, 11:51 PM
... what Norm does not realize (or is forgetting) is that this is now an albatross around his neck for all time, and any time anything goes wrong, or any time anyone wants a feature enhancement, it's HIS phone that will be ringing.

MUaHAHAHAHaHAHAHHAhAHAhahahahAHaHahahaHaHAha!

Widescreen
9/16/2006, 12:30 AM
You guys really don't like my stories unless they end badly for me.
I'm pretty sure this story isn't over. The luck of the Norm hasn't kicked in yet.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/16/2006, 12:51 AM
See? You came up with a solution where we would have had to spend money on OCR software in order to use the solution. My way is free and lets acrobat reader take care of all the hard stuff like zooming, changing pages, thumbnails, etc.

Besides, OCR wouldn't work good on handwritten forms. And they look at the forms just to make sure there wasn't a computer or data entry error.

pfft, i would have used that ocr crap off of sourceforge. i have only recommended a company to spend money on software twice - both on my last internal project. i had them buy the infragistics .net controls and help scribble. grand total of $2200 to shave off about a month of dev time.

most of the time, i just build the solution myself. microsoftees get ****ed at some of my demos because i actually mock up the solution in either visio or winforms as part of the business requirements.

Okla-homey
9/16/2006, 06:16 AM

Good Norm. You may have a cookie and a juicebox now.;)

Howzit
9/16/2006, 06:24 AM
Good thing OU4LIFE approved the use of a PHP script.

RacerX
9/16/2006, 09:47 AM
CONGRATS! Norm.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/16/2006, 11:17 AM
You got this idea from The Boy, didn't you?

Yay, The Boy!

Cam
9/16/2006, 11:19 AM
Good job Norm.

Now, go get me a samich.

OUstudent4life
9/16/2006, 12:03 PM
I understood .5% of this thread.

But good for Norm.

Oh, and I understand the samich thing. I'm hungry.

:D

Norm In Norman
9/16/2006, 01:19 PM
I just came back from Mr. Goodcents. Italian on wheat with provolone, standard dress, and banana peppers. It was good. I'm about too nervous to eat though.

proud gonzo
9/16/2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.epa.gov/performancetrack/members/images/gold_star_poster.jpg

Vaevictis
9/16/2006, 02:05 PM
I'm just waiting for Norm to come back in a week or two, and report that his boss has come to him and said, "That thing you did was awesome. Now we need you to make it so that people can edit the forms in the web browser to correct their errors and resubmit them. I'll expect you'll be done around the end of the month."