PDA

View Full Version : Ou gets NO respect from local media

stoopified
9/15/2006, 10:27 PM
The other day on the page editural in the sports section of the D.O. Rhode picks the Ducks by 12.Tonite Dean the Dip says there is a 30% chance of rain in tomorrows game AND that is what the Sooner chances to win are.Then he makes a crack that he is OFTEN wrong.DUH! Wonder if ANY local media are picking us to win?None taht I've seen.Can't wait for the game to shut these A$$hats up.GOOO SOOONNNERRS!!!!

OKLA21FAN
9/16/2006, 08:51 AM
So if Dean says that OU has a 30% chance of winning, im thinking that the AFLAC fans have to feel good about their 80% chance.

just sayin

Flagstaffsooner
9/16/2006, 09:00 AM
I cant believe Rhode has lasted 20 years at the DO. He was an asshat from day one. In his first year on the Friday before the texass game he wrote a column about the domers.

stoopified
9/16/2006, 09:26 AM
The disrespect continues,Almost everyone on the D.O. picked UO to win.Only two staff members( HelsleyBaldwin by7,Gilman) picked OU.Carlson UO by7,Tramel UO by13,Schroeder UO by 2,Baldwin UO by6,Wright UO by 4Jaxkson UO by 1,Blevins UO by 7.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but this just floors me.The main reason most cite is that OU has been soft on D.True except in the last half of football played,in which UW was outscored 24-7 and had no offense till the last two minutes.That two minute lapse belongs on the coaches lack of aggresiveness as much if not more than the players effort IMHO.Apparently we are getting neg credit for 11/2 games of lackluster play and no credit for our best half of football. Todays game should fix that til UT anyhow.:D

jk the sooner fan
9/16/2006, 10:05 AM
so what you're saying is that you would rather have a bunch of homer journalists who will pick OU in any situation, rather than be objective and pick what they actually think will happen?

RedstickSooner
9/16/2006, 10:09 AM
so what you're saying is that you would rather have a bunch of homer journalists who will pick OU in any situation, rather than be objective and pick what they actually think will happen?

When referring to the sports section of a newspaper, the term "journalist" should be used sparingly.

:D

sooneron
9/16/2006, 10:14 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the recent Stoops fall out with the press. These dorks aren't that fair and unbiased.

SoonerBlonde87
9/16/2006, 10:14 AM
What do you expect. They probably have money riding on it so they are going with the team that they think will win. Its a bunch of crap when you find out that your own state and local media won't even support the sooners.. But what do you expect. Some oklahomans are like that

jk the sooner fan
9/16/2006, 10:19 AM
amazing.....

snp
9/16/2006, 10:24 AM

Yup. We have some of the sissiest fans ever sometimes.

SoonerBlonde87
9/16/2006, 10:43 AM
Yup. We have some of the sissiest fans ever sometimes.

Actually not the sissiest, we just have some fans that will only cheer for the team if they are WINNING.. but at the first sight of loosing or trouble they start trash talking the team. I will never forget some of the stuff that this lady that sits by me has said in the past years. She treats them like crap when they make a bad play. When we were supposed to go to the rose bowl but we lost to OSU she was sitting there being the biggest B**** ever. Its a bunch of BS if you ask me. It just proves who the true Sooner fans are. Boomer Sooner!

stoopified
9/16/2006, 10:45 AM
so what you're saying is that you would rather have a bunch of homer journalists who will pick OU in any situation, rather than be objective and pick what they actually think will happen?Reread the post.I say they ARE entitled to their opinions.What I fail to understand is how they can look at the progress shown in the last half of the UW game and think we are doomed. Many people would say we played 4 halves of football and our last was our best and that we are headed in the right direction.Hey you are entitled to your opinion too although apparently you are a fence-sitter who won't make a choice but instead criticze those who do.C' mon tell us who YOU think will win.

BajaOklahoma
9/16/2006, 11:05 AM
For the most part, the sports page is simply an opinion page with the actual game scores as filler.

Year ago, one of the DO reporters was sent to the Gaylord's paper in Colorado Springs for his own safety. His comments were not well received by the public. After 15-20 years, he came back and did a fairly popular column for the DO.

SleestakSooner
9/16/2006, 11:26 AM
How many injuries does Oklahoma have going in to this game? I know for a fact that Oregon lost their best corner back and that their best tailback suffered an injury very similar to the one AD suffered early last season.
Sure OU has looked lackluster in its first one and a half games. That stuff happens at the beginning of a season. These are kids, they get nervous. PT has shown amazing poise and leadership skills.

Having said all of this, I think this game is a toss up. UO having home field advantage is huge. Unless AD runs wild on these guys and they manage to have a positive turnover ratio I don't see OU winning this game in the drizzle fa shizzle.

Anyhow, it should be a great game and Go Sooners! Even if they lose I will support the team like a true fan.

soonerinabilene
9/16/2006, 11:42 AM
Actually not the sissiest, we just have some fans that will only cheer for the team if they are WINNING.. but at the first sight of loosing or trouble they start trash talking the team. I will never forget some of the stuff that this lady that sits by me has said in the past years. She treats them like crap when they make a bad play. When we were supposed to go to the rose bowl but we lost to OSU she was sitting there being the biggest B**** ever. Its a bunch of BS if you ask me. It just proves who the true Sooner fans are. Boomer Sooner!

10 bucks she has a son named nick!!

BillyBall
9/16/2006, 11:48 AM
For the most part, the sports page is simply an opinion page with the actual game scores as filler.

This is why I like Baja.... On the money again.

Ike
9/16/2006, 12:03 PM
When referring to the Daily Oklahoman, the term "journalist" should be used sparingly.

fixed

Scott D
9/16/2006, 12:34 PM
When referring to the media, the term "journalist" should be used sparingly.

fixed.

DrZaius
9/16/2006, 12:43 PM
the MEDIA are all tools but I can't help thinking that respect is earned and after today we should get some.

ADs_Agent
9/16/2006, 12:45 PM
the Joklahoman should never be read by any sooner, it has been voted the worst state newspaper in the US numerous times. It's full of community college journalist grads who barely got by with C averages at OCCC

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2006, 01:06 PM
I still can't see why the media is so infatuated with Oregon; it must be solely because of the home field advantage as they haven't been all that great so far this season

Earickson
9/16/2006, 01:15 PM
I agree, no sportswriter who is worth their weight should always stick with the local team no matter what. I see it done in other regions, and it is just sad, trust me be glad that the local papers don't blindly worship all that is OU.

Now, with that aside, I still say that OK has some sad excuses for newspapers and some really pathetic sportswriters. This, however, is not uncommon across the nation.

Just so happens these so called journalists appear to be objective, but I think they are just following the trend. They watch cold pizza on Tuesday, then write their column on Tuesday night. Rewatch cold pizza on Wednesday morning, and if the column agrees with the big talking heads, then print it up.

SoonerInKCMO
9/16/2006, 01:18 PM
You're saying that people watch Cold Pizza? :confused: