PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fallout From Potential USC Sanctions !!!

the_ouskull
9/15/2006, 06:08 PM
Let me be the first (I hope) to say that, if USC has to forfeit their 2004 National Championship, I'd like to say now that we, as OU fans, do NOT want it. Let it remain vacant. Let someone else have it. (I'm sure 'Bama already staked a claim to it anyway...)

But we do NOT want it. Not like that. We're fans of the Oklahomaf*ckin'homa Sooners. We don't "accept" titles, we win them or lose them. Period.

Anybody else feel the same way?

the_ouskull

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 06:19 PM
Damn straight.

And, honestly, regardless of the BCS mumbo-jumbo, I don't think we deserve it. I think Auburn has a rightful claim to it. If that Orange Bowl is voided, we are 12-0. Auburn is 13-0.

Does Auburn officially claim a championship for the 2004 season? 'Cause if not, you can bet your bananas they will if USC gets it revoked.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 06:31 PM
I honestly believe that if the NCAA were to come to Bob Stoops and hold a press confrence I think this is the way it would go down.

"On behalf of the NCAA and .......I would like to announce that due to certain NCAA rules that are in place the University of Oklahoma is hereby awarded the national championship of 2005" CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

Bob
"Thank you (----) I know all of you came here today to celebrate the University being awarded a national championship.........Well I appreciate the oppertunity to be awarded such a gracious offer. However, we here at the University of Oklahoma do not accept handouts (Bomar Joke ;)) Therefore, I feel it is my duty to decline this award"

Eruption of applause ensues with a standing O

OKLA21FAN
9/15/2006, 06:32 PM
I said this on another thread,
Auburn has their own 'issues' on '04 for handing out passing grades for classes not taken. Shouldn't they be forefeiting games for that as well?

IF (and thats a big if) USC has to forefiet games, the '04 title should be simply "void of a champion"

or just give it to Bama

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 06:38 PM
Ah, good point about the grades ... I had forgotten about that. Didn't it involve a professor offering directed reading courses, or something?

Well, no title for USC, Oklahoma, or Auburn ... maybe Utah will claim it. ;)

I think probably the best situation is to not have a champion for that year.

Flagstaffsooner
9/15/2006, 06:40 PM
I said this on another thread,
Auburn has their own 'issues' on '04 for handing out passing grades for classes not taken. Shouldn't they be forefeiting games for that as well?

IF (and thats a big if) USC has to forefiet games, the '04 title should be simply "void of a champion"

or just give it to BamaGawd damn, Middle Tenn may end up with this one.:D

royalfan5
9/15/2006, 06:49 PM
Gawd damn, Middle Tenn may end up with this one.:D
I think they actually might already be on probation, maybe the 1-AA champ will get both titles.

the_ouskull
9/15/2006, 07:23 PM
Give it to Baylor. They need the recruiting boost to leapfrog Lil Brother's stranglehold on 5th place in the South.

the_ouskull

OUHOMER
9/15/2006, 07:23 PM
Let me be the first (I hope) to say that, if USC has to forfeit their 2004 National Championship, I'd like to say now that we, as OU fans, do NOT want it. Let it remain vacant. Let someone else have it. (I'm sure 'Bama already staked a claim to it anyway...)

But we do NOT want it. Not like that. We're fans of the Oklahomaf*ckin'homa Sooners. We don't "accept" titles, we win them or lose them. Period.

the_ouskull

100%

goodonya
9/15/2006, 07:26 PM
Agreed, we don't take things unearned. Give it to Auburn, they deserved it.

mrowl
9/15/2006, 07:39 PM
fyi... the NCAA doesn't recognize a football championship, so they can't ask USC to forfeit it. stupid ideas.

DrZaius
9/15/2006, 07:53 PM
fyi... the NCAA doesn't recognize a football championship, so they can't ask USC to forfeit it. stupid ideas.

huh?

OUinFLA
9/15/2006, 09:05 PM
Let awbarn have it, they already have rings.

goingoneight
9/15/2006, 09:44 PM
This just in, it's a dog fight between OSU and North Texas for the 2004 MNC title. Naturally, orange aggy is losing.

Sooner47
9/15/2006, 09:49 PM

the_ouskull

If SC forfeits the 2004 NC, Alabama will claim it. :D

King Crimson
9/15/2006, 09:54 PM
If SC forfeits the 2004 NC, Alabama will claim it. :D

that's what i was gonna say. beside, Bama Billy's Tider website had them #1 anyway. so, keep the count rolling.

Desert Sapper
9/15/2006, 09:55 PM

This isn't 100% true. They do recognize champions, they just don't select them.

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process. Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) has conducted a contest between it's two top-ranked teams to determine a national champion.

Link (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html)

This is the bottom line. The NCAA recognizes every champion across the board, legitimate and otherwise. Those other organizations don't have any responsibility to the NCAA or its findings. No matter what the outcome of any 'forfeit games', the championship will likely stand unless the BCS decides to revoke it. I'm not sure I can see them doing so.

Fraggle145
9/15/2006, 10:20 PM

The BCS can force them to vacate the title... as well as the AP

Stoop Dawg
9/15/2006, 10:43 PM

I think his point was that the BCS and the NCAA are not the same thing. Not even related, really.

Eddie Money
9/15/2006, 10:44 PM
I doubt they will even do anything about the BCS part of it, but even if they did revoke USC's championship, I really doubt there will be any award ceremony to give the trophy to another team.

It would be really cool if they had a trophy revoking ceremony though. They could make Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush kneel down in front of a formation and some BCS rep would smash the crystal football in front of them.

You know, kind of like the Chuck Connors show, Branded...

Stoop Dawg
9/15/2006, 10:59 PM
Let me be the first (I hope) to say that, if USC has to forfeit their 2004 National Championship, I'd like to say now that we, as OU fans, do NOT want it.

You're not the first. It seems to be the consensus over the last two days:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543787&postcount=12

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543803&postcount=13

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543867&postcount=19

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543935&postcount=31

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543162&postcount=16

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543181&postcount=20

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543218&postcount=28

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543338&postcount=40

Eh, you get the idea.......

AlabamaSooner
9/15/2006, 11:02 PM
I'm still not quite sure about OU fans "obsession" on this board about the number of titles Bama has. They count pre-AP and UPI championships just as ND and USC do. What's the big deal if you were good and won those championships before 1950? It's not like championships weren't won in the earlier years. Sounds like a bunch of Auburn fans on here. Which reminds me, Auburn claims the 2004 "Peoples' National Championship" so if you want to discuss legit championships, chew on that one for a while.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 11:06 PM
Damn straight.

And, honestly, regardless of the BCS mumbo-jumbo, I don't think we deserve it. I think Auburn has a rightful claim to it. If that Orange Bowl is voided, we are 12-0. Auburn is 13-0.

Does Auburn officially claim a championship for the 2004 season? 'Cause if not, you can bet your bananas they will if USC gets it revoked.

12-0 vs 13-0 is irrelevent. Auburn scheduled La-Monroe, La-Lafayette, and The Citadel (all at home) as their three non-conference games. If they are awarded (and, therefore, rewarded) the Crystal Ball, they'll continue to do the same only they'll add the Louisiana School for the Blind since they now have to have four non-con games.

All of the Sooner "fans" are willing to give the trophy away only because we played so poorly during that game. We played extremely well during the regular season and did well in the CCG. We had a very bad night.

But, although Auburn ended up with more points than did Virginia Tech, Tech statistically beat them up and down the field. Had a Tech chip-shot FG not hit the crossbar and bounce back OR had the Tech TE not dropped an easy, sure TD pass in the endzone, Auburn would have lost.

Auburn was not better than OU then and nobody can convince me that they were.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 11:10 PM

the_ouskull

Yes, we do want it. We were second to USC in every poll. There's no other team that deserved it more than we did (prior to the game). Certainly not Auburn.

Stoop Dawg
9/15/2006, 11:10 PM
I'm still not quite sure about OU fans "obsession" on this board about the number of titles Bama claims.

Fixed.

mrowl
9/16/2006, 08:51 AM

exactly. NOT THE NCAA. Any punishment the NCAA hands out, they can not force a title removal.

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, we do want it. We were second to USC in every poll. There's no other team that deserved it more than we did (prior to the game). Certainly not Auburn.
I wouldn't want it.

I would give it to Auburn. I don't care about statistics during their game. They won. We were humiliated. It was the most painful loss I've ever watched. I don't want a trophy for it.

Cam
9/16/2006, 09:02 AM
Persoanlly, I'd rather there not be a Nat'l Champion for that year.

Leave it blank so that when a kid asks about it 20 years from now, he can be told it was because the team that won it cheated.

sanantoniosooner
9/16/2006, 09:05 AM
he can be told it was because the team that won it got caught cheating
ahem.......

RedstickSooner
9/16/2006, 10:24 AM
Persoanlly, I'd rather there not be a Nat'l Champion for that year.

Leave it blank so that when a kid asks about it 20 years from now, he can be told it was because the team that won it cheated.

Agreed - although I'd like them to be more direct, and not leave it blank - instead, award the 2004 national championship to "cheater", or "cheaters", or somesuch.

Making teams forfeit games from previous seasons is ghey, and pointless. Fans don't care - and it has no real effect on the program. The only penalties which matter are recruiting-related penalties (scholly restrictions, etc.), postseason play bans, and TV coverage bans (although TV coverage bans also penalize the team you're playing, which isn't fair)

the_ouskull
9/16/2006, 11:12 AM
To all of you who said that you want the 2004 championship, if it's even offered up to us, are you the same people that want every kid in Little League or Pop Warner to get a first place trophy? Are you the reason that they only keep the clock and don't keep score in some youth leagues?

I don't want it, and, if we somehow get it, I won't recognize it. I would hope that more Sooner fans would feel this way.

But, keep in mind that the 2004 Auburn team had some "issues" as well. They probably wouldn't get it either. That's why I recommended Baylor get it.

the_ouskull

TXBOOMER
9/16/2006, 11:35 AM
Bama already claimed it. I think Stoops and the team knew about Bush and thought SUC was going to have to forfeit before the game was played that night.

the_ouskull
9/16/2006, 11:40 AM
Heh.

Big Red Ron
9/16/2006, 11:41 AM
I'm still not quite sure about OU fans "obsession" on this board about the number of titles Bama has. They count pre-AP and UPI championships just as ND and USC do. What's the big deal if you were good and won those championships before 1950? It's not like championships weren't won in the earlier years.:rolleyes:

You know your claim is iffy on a few (i.e., other teams claim the same years and some you claim are by regional newspapers)

You have six universally accepted NC's
ND has eight universally accepted NC's
USC has six...
OU has seven...

This is really a tired subject...