PDA

View Full Version : Big game breakdown: Oklahoma-Oregon/Matthew Zemek / CollegeFootballNews.com..they suk

daddywarbucks
9/15/2006, 05:41 PM
Matthew Zemek / CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted: 3 hours ago

This is a football game in which Don LaFontaine's words might loom large.

Since you're reading this very article, you obviously watch college football on television. This means you've surely seen the recent series of GEICO ads featuring various celebrities. One of them is LaFontaine, a legendary voice actor and master of the movie trailer. In the ad, LaFontaine's last line is, "Payback: this time, it's for real!" That could well describe what's going to befall the Oklahoma Sooners this Saturday in a raucous Autzen Stadium.
Spotlight Saturday
Big Game Breakdowns

LSU-Auburn
Michigan-Notre Dame
Florida-Tennessee
Nebraska-USC
Miami-Louisville
Oklahoma-Oregon
Clemson-Florida State
Fearless Predictions

ACC | Big East | Big Ten
Big 12 | Pac-10 | SEC
Ind. | C-USA | MAC
MWest | Sun Belt | WAC

Bob Stoops' boys are heading into Eugene — a September graveyard for visiting non-conference opponents — and the Oregon Ducks are waiting to extract a fair measure of revenge for their loss to the Sooners in the Holiday Bowl last December. What makes this game so dangerous for Oklahoma is not the mere fact that Oregon wants to get even; it's that the Ducks are equipped to win at the same time the Sooners aren't.

One of the main reasons Oklahoma won the Holiday Bowl is now one of the reasons Oregon stands to win on Saturday: the absence of a No. 1 quarterback. Just as Kellen Clemens of Oregon was unable to play in San Diego nearly nine months ago, so it will be the case that the Sooners won't have Rhett Bomar (who played against and beat the Ducks in the Holiday Bowl) under center this Saturday. Oklahoma's reshuffling of the deck at quarterback has caused the Sooners' offense to struggle in the first two games of 2006; without a fourth-quarter surge against lowly Washington the week before, this OU offense would have sported very pedestrian numbers heading into Eugene.

Paul Thompson — a quarterback so unproven that he couldn't win the starting job last season — has once again become the trigger man for Bob Stoops' offense, this time by default. But with a horrible season-opener against UAB and a very sluggish first half against Washington, Thompson has yet to stamp himself as a quarterback who can slay big-time opponents, especially on the road. If Thompson can't become a substantially better signal-caller, Adrian Peterson's effectiveness will remain limited, and the OU offense will go down in flames. Thompson has to make this game his national coming-out party, but that will be a tall order against a feisty Oregon team and a deafening green-and-gold crowd.

For all of Oklahoma's concerns (and limitations) at quarterback, however, there are many other reasons why Oregon's chances of victory are so good. For one thing, Oklahoma got blasted at UCLA last year in the Sooners' first big road trip of the year; if the Sooners can't handle a West Coast roadie with any more maturity than what they displayed last year, they're in trouble. Another Oregon advantage is the fact that the Sooners' run defense — as evinced by a leaky performance against a Washington team that ran for over 200 yards against OU — has yet to find its stride. If Washington, Oregon's bitter and grossly inferior rival, could top 200 yards on the ground, just imagine what could happen if Jonathan Stewart and Jeremiah Johnson, the Ducks' talented backfield duo, got a look at some running lanes.

All in all, this game is shaping up to be a decisive Oregon victory. Oklahoma has proved to be alarmingly deficient in core areas of football competence that, if left unattended, will lead to disaster for Bob Stoops' ballclub. If the Sooners are to win in the Pac-10's loudest and most intimidating stadium, they need to play at least 500 percent better than what they've shown in their first two games of the year... and even that might not be enough.

It's all on Oklahoma to drastically elevate its level of play this Saturday in the Willamette River Valley. If not, Don LaFontaine's words will haunt the Sooners and remind them that they've gotten worse, not better, since the Holiday Bowl.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 05:46 PM
I read that earlier....The guy is a giant ******

fadada1
9/15/2006, 05:48 PM
that guy still suckles from his mama's teet.

leavingthezoo
9/15/2006, 05:50 PM
i don't believe for a second this fellow has watched ENA play.

King Crimson
9/15/2006, 05:54 PM
interesting how the loss of Bomar and Bomar's bad play at UCLA and the return to the West Coast...add to the same conclusion.

?

Oregon is a good football team and we may lose, but this writer is a moron.

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 05:56 PM
Hrm ... well, I've already determined this guy is a biased rejectoid who doesn't know a damned thing about our program because he referenced a "late surge in the fourth quarter." I guess the 17 points we scored in the third quarter weren't key (nor the 47 yards we limited them to).

Bah. I have a special feeling about PT in this game.

This reminds me of the spoof I wrote in the "OU wins becasue of xyz, UO wins becasue of abc" thread.

Bah. Bah bah bah.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/15/2006, 05:58 PM
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
WASHINGTON.......... 7 6 0 7 - 20
Oklahoma Sooners.... 7 6 17 7 - 37

you've got to watch out for those 4th qtr surges...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/15/2006, 06:01 PM
WASH 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1st 2nd
Qtr Qtr Qtr Qtr Half Half Total
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time of possession 06:17 08:10 07:59 06:51 14:27 14:50 29:17
3rd Down Conversions 0/2 4/6 1/4 1/4 4/8 2/8 6/16
Avg Field Position W27 W20 W35 W39 W25 W36 W31
4th Down Conversions 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/2 0/0 0/2 0/2

OU 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1st 2nd
Time of possession 08:43 06:50 07:01 08:09 15:33 15:10 30:43
3rd Down Conversions 1/3 2/4 2/3 0/2 3/7 2/5 5/12
Avg Field Position O38 O31 O32 O24 O36 O29 O32
4th Down Conversions 0/0 0/0 0/0 1/1 0/0 1/1 1/1

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 06:07 PM
Also, what's the friggin' deal with all these major programs getting passes when they play crap teams, while we get nailed to the cross?

It has yet to be determined if Washington or UAB is going to be any good. I refuse to believe that the Huskies are another 2-10 or 3-9 team, with Ty Willingham at the helm, or that UAB won't be in the running for a C*USA title. They showed a lot of ability against us. I mean, look at Tulsa -- we got crap for not drilling them into the ground last season, and they turned around and won their conference AND their bowl game (against Fresno State).

Between last year and the year before, USC had half a dozen games against low calibre teams where they were either trailing at the half or tied up. Not to mention FSU/Troy and some of the other squeakers we've had this year (can't remember any others off the top of my head, but I'm sure they happened).

If those teams pull it out, it's because they have the "heart of a champion," or "great leadership," or "unrelenting desire." If we distance ourselves in the second half, it's because we got lucky or because the other team screwed up.

More BAH!

Falconnius
9/15/2006, 06:54 PM
If you go to the Owen Field message board, Zemek personally responded to this article posted on the site. interesting.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 06:55 PM
If you go to the Owen Field message board, Zemek personally responded to this article posted on the site. interesting.

Link?

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2006, 07:15 PM
Link?

"Actually, I did watch portions of this game.

Living in Seattle as I do, I know how gawd-awful the University of Washington program has been over the past few years, and that they could be very competitive in Norman over three quarters is something that alarmed me greatly.

If I'm a Sooner fan, I'm extremely concerned right now. The trajectory of the 2006 season is pretty much the same as 2005, with the only difference being that TCU was good enough to spring a game-one upset last year, while UAB was NOT good enough to do the deed this year.

Are you really going to tell me I'm wrong? Inconsistent QB play, insufficient leadership, spotty defense.

The Sooners might fix all these areas in Eugene against the Ducks, but the whole point is that if they don't, they will indeed get blasted. Not a controversial statement to make, in my mind.

Based on current form--the way the teams are playing right now--Oregon is, as a matter of analysis, in much better shape.

No one should be disagreeing with that statement. No one.

The tone of the piece was very alarmist about OU's chances. Well, if I were a Sooner fan, I'd think there would be many things to be alarmed about.

Remember that football analysis is just that--football analysis. It's not social commentary, and it's not a personal insult toward human beings. It's simply a belief that one team stands a much better chance of winning a football game than another.

And if OU delivers the goods, you know I'm going to give it up to them without any hesitation or indecisiveness.

Sincerely,

Matt Zemek
CFN"
http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=136079.top ic&start=1&stop=20

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 07:19 PM
Matt Zemek hates Jesus

Octavian
9/15/2006, 07:23 PM
Matt Zemek got caught wearing his momma's underwear

...last week

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 07:24 PM
Interesting ... I wonder if anyone pointed out that we played two quarters of excellent football in that game, not just one. I don't count that last touchdown drive in garbage time because it was exactly that -- garbage time.

Landthief 1972
9/15/2006, 07:32 PM
Horrible analysis backed by a worse rebuttal to the outcry. The guy tries to write a piece based off of SportsCenter highlights and won't admit he's wrong even in the face of stats and facts.

OU has the QB problems even though ENA has a better QB ranking? WTF?

sooneron
9/15/2006, 07:47 PM
without a fourth-quarter surge against lowly Washington the week before, this OU offense would have sported very pedestrian numbers heading into Eugene.

Why do reporters say this crap? Uh, there's four quarters of football in a game. Does this ****tard really think that Oregon is so head an shoulders above us? Do I think this game is a toss up, yes. My prediction proves so, but we are not so outmanned in this game that we are prohibitive dogs. Dennis Dixon's #'s are really no better than PT's against overall similar competition. I'm sorry, but Stanford just plain sucks.

daddywarbucks
9/15/2006, 07:54 PM
I was so pizzed when I read it I couldnt even respond at the time without swearing alot. Ok I KNOW from what he said that he could not of even watched the highlights of our last game...What a complete clown. I can remember forgetting to write reports for a class and the morning of school writing some piece of crap also Mr Matthew Zemek,, I also can remember everyone knowing that I had no freaking clue what I ws talking about either..azzhole.

amlah6
9/15/2006, 09:14 PM
Actually, I did watch portions of this game.

Translation: "I saw the highlights on SportsCenter."

Desert Sapper
9/15/2006, 09:37 PM
if oklahoma would play 500 percent better like the article suggested ou should win 78-3.

I liked this post on the Scouts forum. Heh.

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 09:43 PM
heh. for a guy who knows so much about Oregon/Autzen, etc., he got the name of our valley wrong. It's Willamette valley, not Willamette River Valley....newb.
:rolleyes:

I think Michigan used Autzen Stadium as an excuse for their loss to us a few years ago. They just didn't come to play. Yeah, it's loud...but is it anything out of the ordinary for the Sooners? I doubt it.

AD, Stoops and the whole program are dangerous. Duck fans should be worried. It think it will be a close game, just based off of team strengths/weaknesses, but I won't rule out an a** whoppin' on part of the Sooners either.

westcoast_sooner
9/15/2006, 09:47 PM
i don't believe for a second this fellow has watched ENA play.

I'm with ya Brutha. There is no way he could have seen ENA play.

westcoast_sooner
9/15/2006, 09:50 PM
WASH 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1st 2nd
Time of possession 06:17 08:10 07:59 06:51 14:27 14:50 29:17
3rd Down Conversions 0/2 4/6 1/4 1/4 4/8 2/8 6/16
Avg Field Position W27 W20 W35 W39 W25 W36 W31
4th Down Conversions 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/2 0/0 0/2 0/2

OU 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1st 2nd
Time of possession 08:43 06:50 07:01 08:09 15:33 15:10 30:43
3rd Down Conversions 1/3 2/4 2/3 0/2 3/7 2/5 5/12
Avg Field Position O38 O31 O32 O24 O36 O29 O32
4th Down Conversions 0/0 0/0 0/0 1/1 0/0 1/1 1/1

ROFL - Damned statistics. Looks like someone else had the 4th Quarter Surge to me.

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 09:54 PM
I think Michigan used Autzen Stadium as an excuse for their loss to us a few years ago. They just didn't come to play.

Yeah, I agree. While I don't doubt that Autzen is incredibly loud and gives the Ducks a huge advantage, I do think that its effect is somewhat exaggerated, especially in the Michigan case. All home fields give an advantage when a big game is afoot and the crowd is pumped up.

When I read Lloyd Carr's comments about their loss up there, the first thing that came to my mind was "excuse." Autzen has a formidable non-conference home record, but who doesn't? Most non-conference games are cup-cakes. Combined with conference games, Oregon is 36-9 since '99, and that doesn't make it to the proverbial "Death Star" that everyone on the planet is making it out to be.

But the stadium definitely is daunting ... I imagine it's "power" is probably on the order of what Kyle Field is like, and that place makes the Aggies a contender with pretty much any team in the country no matter how average they are overall. 2000, 2002, and 2004 were some of our very best teams and they all struggled at Kyle Field, especially in '02 when we lost.

In any event, I've gone from being overconfident to worrying my *** off over the course of the day. I think I'm just going to get drunk and call it a night. ;)

Here's hopin' for a good one!

achiro
9/15/2006, 10:02 PM
Translation: "I saw the highlights on SportsCenter."
Couldn't be that, OU was completely ignored by espnutcases last weekend.

goingoneight
9/15/2006, 10:13 PM
Paul Thompson — a quarterback so unproven that he couldn't win the starting job last season — has once again become the trigger man for Bob Stoops' offense, this time by default. But with a horrible season-opener against UAB and a very sluggish first half against Washington, Thompson has yet to stamp himself as a quarterback who can slay big-time opponents, especially on the road. If Thompson can't become a substantially better signal-caller, Adrian Peterson's effectiveness will remain limited, and the OU offense will go down in flames. Thompson has to make this game his national coming-out party, but that will be a tall order against a feisty Oregon team and a deafening green-and-gold crowd.

Remember this.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 10:53 PM

Remember this.

This only shows Zemek is a follower and not a leader in journalism. He's bought into the propaganda of other sportswriters rather than do the research himself.

Thompson's numbers are just as good as some of the so-called Heisman hopefuls. Our offense hasn't sputtered. They're playing as well if not better than I expected they would after our summer situation.

It's the defense that concerns me. Touted by many as being the best defense in the country in the preseason, the Sooner defense has looked like anything but.

rainiersooner
9/16/2006, 12:42 AM
I liked his defense of his weak analysis - basically he said it was analysis, not opinion, so we couldn't question it...in other words "My assertion of fact is a fact because its an assertion of fact, not an assertion of an opinion." Hmmm.

noobalicious
9/16/2006, 12:56 AM
Since you're reading this very article, you obviously watch college football on television. This means you've surely seen the recent series of GEICO ads featuring various celebrities.

This is the point where I already know I won't be taking this article seriously.

and the Oregon Ducks are waiting to extract a fair measure of revenge for their loss to the Sooners in the Holiday Bowl last December.

Where might the Ducks be extracting this revenge from? I would think they would want to perhaps exact some revenge...but I could be wrong.

so it will be the case that the Sooners won't have Rhett Bomar (who played against and beat the Ducks in the Holiday Bowl) under center this Saturday.

This has the makings of an excellent drinking game. :D "Drink every time you hear that the passing game left OU with Bomar"

Paul Thompson — a quarterback so unproven that he couldn't win the starting job last season — has once again become the trigger man for Bob Stoops' offense, this time by default.

I thought their QB was a backup last year...so unproven he had to split playing time with another QB?

If Thompson can't become a substantially better signal-caller, Adrian Peterson's effectiveness will remain limited, and the OU offense will go down in flames.

Goodness gracious, PT should be ashamed of being in the top 40 passers in the country, and having no interceptions that were completely his fault. And AD...170 yds/gm...what pedestrian numbers. He's in the Heisman race? hahahaha

a feisty Oregon team

...that needed their FG kicker to have a rushing TD to pull one out over the vicious Fresno State team.

For one thing, Oklahoma got blasted at UCLA last year in the Sooners' first big road trip of the year

LOL! Wow, I almost just had soda come out my nose! This sounds like a middle schooler trying to formulate an argument. Too funny...

Another Oregon advantage is the fact that the Sooners' run defense — as evinced by a leaky performance against a Washington team that ran for over 200 yards against OU — has yet to find its stride.

Of which about 70 were on a fluke run on the very first play of the very first UW possession.

All in all, this game is shaping up to be a decisive Oregon victory. Oklahoma has proved to be alarmingly deficient in core areas of football competence that, if left unattended, will lead to disaster for Bob Stoops' ballclub.

That's it guys...lets pack it in and move down to Division II.

they need to play at least 500 percent better than what they've shown in their first two games of the year... and even that might not be enough.

87% of all statistics are made up randomly on the spot. Did you know that?

RedstickSooner
9/16/2006, 10:48 AM
Washington gave their game against us their absolute all. Ty believed (as many of our opponents have, and do) that with our QB issues over the summer, we were vulnerable, and he staked a LOT on beating us.

He spoke at length about how you don't know how good a team is until it plays another good team -- and that if they beat us, UW would know that they were capable of hanging with anyone. He thought that he'd win, and what's more, he believed that beating us could and would be used to give his squad some much-needed confidence.

He really thought they could win, and put a lot on it -- his team bought into that belief as well. I don't think UW is bottom-of-the-barrel this year (although after losing to us and havng such high hopes, they might collapse -- Ty's teams have done that, from time to time)

stoopified
9/16/2006, 10:57 AM
interesting how the loss of Bomar and Bomar's bad play at UCLA and the return to the West Coast...add to the same conclusion.

?

Oregon is a good football team and we may lose, but this writer is a moron.Apparently he forgets that UO has lost AT HOME 9 times in the last 6 years.By contrast OU has lost only 2 homegmes in the last 6 years.Yeah we should be afraid of THE DUCKS NEST.Its not like we have played in Kyle Field or TT'Jones Stadium or Faurot Field or even at Stillwater.I think we have been their done that.