PDA

View Full Version : OU wins becasue of xyz, UO wins becasue of abc

gnostic19
9/15/2006, 01:45 PM
I'd like to hear some objective(that's funny) analysis about how you peeps think either team can win the game. There are always fluke games with weird instances that can causes teams to win or lose a game, but if all things go "accordingly", what will be the difference supposing either team comes out victorious.
For OU it starts, of course, with AD & PT. If enough plays can be made by PT to do some stretchage of the defense AD will have more openings than he would otherwise.
OTOH, I also think that our D is susceptable to being overwhelmed under these circumstances. The proverbial floodgates could open up if Oregon strikes a balance betweeen their running and passing game and the fandom go ape-sheat. Our D hasn't shown me enough this year to warrant confidence. I remember last week i was actually doubting a 3rd and 15 at one point in the game. I can't remember the last time i had that much anxiety with our D facing a 3rd and 15.
Anyway, brief post for what i am asking(at work) but i was wondering what people with a good idea of what Oregon brings to the table might think would lead them to either a win or a loss on Saturday. How could they win this game or how could we come out on top?

ousoonerfan
9/15/2006, 01:48 PM
What?

Miko
9/15/2006, 01:55 PM
Ignorance being no bar to discussion, I'll jump in on this.

I think that barring turnovers or shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, our offense (and special teams) can keep us in this game even should it turn into a shootout.

I expect the game to largely hinge on what happens when the ducks have the ball. If we can wrap up and stop the run, I think we'll be fine, especially with the potential recent changes in the db lineup.

Additionally, I will be surprised if we do not score a TD on special teams tomorrow.

Blues1
9/15/2006, 01:58 PM
IF Oregon gets on a roll *early* with it's passing game it could be messy for OU....Something tells me the First Half maybe "The Key" to this game....Who ever gets out in front by half time I see as The Winner in the end - JMHO

But I also think this may be the game that PT makes some long runs after faking to AD - If some of those long runs can be Touchdowns we open the
2nd half with some good passing yards and keep Oregon off balance...With everyone talking about the two number 28's - I think PT's play will be the KEY to this game.....PT needs to have a Very Good Game....Once again just MHO....

Everybody Keep Rockin'

mOUse
9/15/2006, 02:00 PM
OU wins because thier fly is open,
OSU wins because of A broadcasting company?

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 02:03 PM
Well, in the name of objectivity, I'll do what ESPN generally does and analyze all facets of the game:

Oh my God, the Sooners friggin' suck since Bomar left. Good grief, Paul Thompson might as well be a mute, deaf, blind quadriplegic. I mean, look at his above-average statistics -- what a terrible player! Despite the fact that he has been at OU for four years now, I'm going to reckon that while preparing in practice, watching games from the sideline, and even playing in blowouts from time-to-time, that he has, in fact, forgot every single aspect of quarterbacking through his one year of wide receiver play. Coaches like to harp on the fact that he was still the backup QB during 2005, but as an ESPN analyst, I know more about teams and football (having never played the game in any competitive medium) then do any of the coaches in division I-A football, so I am going to dismiss that in all regards.

They've won two games, but in my opinion, those two games are meaningless, despite the fact that both were reasonable I-A opponents. In fact, winning those games in such an unconvincing fashion should actually qualify them as LOSSES in the respectability and meaningless blowouts column, two new factors in the BCS computer computations, as well as the minds of the Harris pollsters.

As for the defense? Well, they haven't played well lately, and I'm relatively sure that has something to do with how Rhett Bomar, an offensive player, was kicked off the team. Did I mention Paul Thompson is terrible? Good grief. Everyone in Oklahoma is wishing they had a time traveling DeLorean at this point so they could go back and slap some sense into Bomar, since he is the end-all element of every future Oklahoma team. Ever.

With Stewart's recent admission that Adrian Peterson reminds him of a horse, Oregon coach Mike Belotti has taken the notion to heart and begun training his safeties, the two strongest men on the planet, I might add, in the use of tranquilizing darts.

Advantage - Oregon. I suspect the UO defense to line up in a punt block formation on every down since OU's quadriplegic quarterback is literally unable to throw the ball (the yardage he racked up in the first two games was a direct result of Adrian Peterson ... somehow).

Sorry for the lack of seriousness ... I can come back and throw in some decent points when I'm feeling a little less goofy. I've just been arguing this stuff up and down on other forums, and I've reached the breaking point.

Only 24 hours till gametime! Yippee!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/15/2006, 02:16 PM
Well, in the name of objectivity, I'll do what ESPN generally does and analyze all facets of the game:

snip

Can't breathe . . . laughing so hard....I'd spek you if it would mean anything.

fadada1
9/15/2006, 02:26 PM
i'm hoping that tomorrow, we "regress back (up) to the mean" with our turnover differential.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 02:34 PM
OU's offense has a few tricks up their sleeve, as does UO im sure. (see last year's fake punt)

Who knows? maybe OU will put some of their super freshman in just to mix things up a bit

Stoop Dawg
9/15/2006, 02:46 PM
I don't see any Ducks in here, so I'll be honest.

I think that barring turnovers or shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, our offense (and special teams) can keep us in this game even should it turn into a shootout.

But our offense will almost certainly turn the ball over and have some penalties. I don't see us winning a shoot out.

I expect the game to largely hinge on what happens when the ducks have the ball. If we can wrap up and stop the run, I think we'll be fine, especially with the potential recent changes in the db lineup.

I 100% agree that it's up to the defense to win this game. They have GOT to stop the run without putting 9 men in the box.

I think OU scores about 21-24. If the defense can hold UO under 21, we win. If UO runs wild and scores in the 30s, we lose.

QuackAttack
9/15/2006, 03:05 PM
Sooners win if their defense plays as good as they did in the Holiday Bowl. I have seen a lot of people down on the Sooner D, but I really fear they just took UAB and Washington for granted. Couple the lack of effort with the criticism the Sooner D has undergone the last 2 weeks, and I think you got a heavily inspired Defense. They came to play in San Diego, so my bet is they come to play in Eugene.

To me, the equation is the same for both teams. Defense, turnovers and special teams. Whichever team plays better in those facets win the game, because both teams are explosive offensively.

I think the victory will be the vegas line, and I am praying the Duck is the victor.

goingoneight
9/15/2006, 10:22 PM
Sooners win if their defense plays as good as they did in the Holiday Bowl. I have seen a lot of people down on the Sooner D, but I really fear they just took UAB and Washington for granted. Couple the lack of effort with the criticism the Sooner D has undergone the last 2 weeks, and I think you got a heavily inspired Defense. They came to play in San Diego, so my bet is they come to play in Eugene.

To me, the equation is the same for both teams. Defense, turnovers and special teams. Whichever team plays better in those facets win the game, because both teams are explosive offensively.

I think the victory will be the vegas line, and I am praying the Duck is the victor.

They've been inspired plenty of times since BV took over, they just make sloppy mistakes, the only thing really that worries Sooner Fans is a "struggling" defense going into a snake pit where they can't hear eachother. This IMHO is going to be an OU victory or a UO blowout. Doesn't mean I won't see it through, though... Good Duck, lucks!!! :D

Desert Sapper
9/15/2006, 10:37 PM

Funniest sh!t I have evar read on this forum. I'm still trying to catch my breath. I think this is what we have all been thinking, every time Mark May or some other annointed genius spouts off. Kudos and spek. :D

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 10:45 PM
Duck fan here - don't shoot. ;)

Here's how I see the strengths and weaknesses of the teams:

1) Both D lines need to step up. Fresno ran like nearly 200 yards last week on Oregon. And I watched the Washington/Oklahoma game - Sooner D line looked really week in the first half.

2) Coaching will be key. Stoops will have tricks up his sleeve. Oregon's corners are weak. Bates - most experienced corner - is out for the season. If Stoops can exploit this by not being afraid to pass (a lot), then this could be a topper. On the flip side - Crowton might have some tricks of his own. But Oregon pulls these "trick plays" off about 10% of the time.....

3) Special teams - Oregon looked pretty good last game. Don't remember/know about Oklahoma.

4) QB's. This game belongs to them, being the D line issues on both sides. Whoever can step up here, might very well win the game.

5) AD - if Oregon can't contain him, even a little, then the Ducks are roasted dinner.

Okay, so I'm talking out my arse, but this is how a Duck fan might see it. I'm sure I'm missing major Oklahoma strengths, so sorry if I missed any.

SCOUT
9/15/2006, 10:52 PM
Nice analysis lil'duck. The OU special teams have been lackluster for the last few years but have been a surprising bright spot so far. Surprising at least to me :D

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 11:08 PM
Nice analysis lil'duck. The OU special teams have been lackluster for the last few years but have been a surprising bright spot so far. Surprising at least to me :D

thanks, Scout. I can say the same for UO special teams. They look "okay" this year, but have just sucked it up the past few years.

It could always come down to special teams. I fear that might be the case tomorrow....or should I say hope????

Scotty
9/15/2006, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie takes one to the house this game. He as been 1 man away it seems like at least a couple times.

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie takes one to the house this game. He as been 1 man away it seems like at least a couple times.

Reggie = new WR? Am I right?

Oh, also, look for Rosario at TE and the screen. Oregon loves that one and Stoops will probably be all over that.

jwlynn64
9/15/2006, 11:29 PM
Reggie Smith. You can probably look him up but he has been great at Corner and on Kick-off and Punt returns.

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 11:36 PM
Reggie Smith. You can probably look him up but he has been great at Corner and on Kick-off and Punt returns.

http://sooners.wordpress.com/tag/reggie-smith/

Same guy right? Is he playing as WR now?

SCOUT
9/15/2006, 11:48 PM
http://sooners.wordpress.com/tag/reggie-smith/

Same guy right? Is he playing as WR now?

Yeah. Reggie saw some snaps at WR against UW too. He is an unbelievable athlete. Stoops probably wants him on the field as much as possible.

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 11:54 PM
Yeah. Reggie saw some snaps at WR against UW too. He is an unbelievable athlete. Stoops probably wants him on the field as much as possible.

Reggie= secret weapon?

Soonerus
9/16/2006, 12:01 AM
I look for roast duck with bernaise...who the heck do they have that objectively leads them to believe they can even compete on the same field...they are lucky not to be in Norman this year, will be about 95 on Saturday in Norman...in Eugene pansy, depressing weather...

SCOUT
9/16/2006, 12:01 AM
I don't think Coach Stoops has been secretive about Reggie being a part of the offense. With that said, he can certainly be surprising when he has the ball in his hands.

lil'duck
9/16/2006, 12:06 AM
Soonerus - don't worry, I know we're not on the same field. I think most Duck fans know that, too. But there's always a chance at home.

Scout - I mean, do you think he is really important to the team? Like a diamond in the rough kind of thing? Like he is that adaptable that he could be crucial in time of need?

noobalicious
9/16/2006, 12:06 AM

HILARIOUS! Still laughing. I really am tired of people saying OU has no passing game when PT has a better passer rating than Brady "the Media is in love with me" Quinn. We should see it show against UO's secondary with them missing their best DB with a leg injury.

My take on the game: as long as Lee Corso doesn't pick us, we should win! He seriously has some kind of curse associated with him. He picked Texas and before that Miami (in the FSU game).

Soonerus
9/16/2006, 12:08 AM
Reggie is a sure fire All-American to be...he is a game breaker, difference maker...surprise...look for #3 since no names on jerseys....

SCOUT
9/16/2006, 12:10 AM
Soonerus - don't worry, I know we're not on the same field. I think most Duck fans know that, too. But there's always a chance at home.

Scout - I mean, do you think he is really important to the team? Like a diamond in the rough kind of thing? Like he is that adaptable that he could be crucial in time of need?
I don't think he is the go-to guy in special circumstances. I think he is a guy who can make a 2nd and 4, in the middle of the game, kind of play into a touchdown.