PDA

View Full Version : Sooners' Recent NFL Struggles

MI Sooner
9/15/2006, 12:03 PM
I'm definately disappointed by the (lack of) success that Sooner alums from the last six years have had at the next level, but the more I think about it, the more impessed I am that Stoops & Co. were able to have such great success with guys that haven't flourished in the NFL. There are a few reasons good college players can't cut it in the NFL:

1) Different systems (e.g., option QBs). Not many Sooners have been victims of this, maybe some DBs who played a lot of zone. But our DBs have probably fared better than anyone else.

2) Undersized. This doesn't seem to be a factor for too many of our outstanding college players.

3) Injuries. Sooners have suffered more than their fair share of these.

4) Lack of talent/athleticism/skills. This must be a lot of the alums, since very few uninjured former Sooners turned into good NFL players, especially on offense. The defensive can claim Harris and TRRW, and several others still may pan out. But who is the best Stoops era Sooner on the offensive side of the ball, Brown (who is probably a perennial Pro-Bowler)? No skill position guys have made much of an impact, but like on D, some still may (esp. @ WR).

I just find it remarkable how much success we've had with so few guys who have starred at the next level. I follow Michigan State a little, and I think they have more good NFLers than OU, and they've been terrible for years. It does kill me to turn on the Lions every Sunday and see that UT guys are probably the best players on both sides of the ball, while guys like McDougal, Lehman, and Romero haven't done much.

Anyway, that said, what former and/or current Sooners do you see playing in a Pro Bowl in the future (besides those that have already made it)? I think Peterson may (I still think he might need the right system to prosper, since I'm not convinced he'll ever excel at blocking/receiving), Clayton has an outside chance.

Malcom Kelley? Reggie Smith? Ruuuuuu?

soonerlaw
9/15/2006, 01:41 PM
I think our wide recievers have been, and will continue to go to the NFL. To see how well they do, that I don't know. I do definately see Reggie Smith starting in the NFL though, that guy is a tremendous athlete.

gnostic19
9/15/2006, 01:47 PM
I've wondered this also. BTW, is Woolfolk still with the Titians?

TripleOption14
9/15/2006, 02:33 PM
If Mark Bardley could have stayed healthy last year he was well on his way to being star imo. He was the perfect #2 WR in chicago until he got hurt. Shame

TheGodfather889
9/15/2006, 03:02 PM
I definetely think Adrian will flourish in the NFL. He might be the best football player I've ever seen.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2006, 03:45 PM
I just wonder why the Oklahoma players are so ravaged with injuries once entering the NFL...besides TRRW who hasnt had injury problems?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the intensity of the training they go thru at OU...and how much change each individuals body goes thru during that training....a guy 6' carrying around 160-170 lbs and in a few years he weighs 30 lbs more and runs faster than he did at 160...i dunno