PDA

View Full Version : "Ducks seek revenge against Sooners" LOL

jackietreehorn
9/15/2006, 11:03 AM
sorry if this has been posted already. check out AD's quote at the very bottom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=262592483&confId=null

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) --There's not a whole lot of mystery between No. 15 Oklahoma and No. 18 Oregon.

The rivals will meet Saturday for the third time in three years, but whether their familiarity gives either side an advantage is a matter of debate.

"We definitely know each other very well," Oklahoma quarterback Paul Thompson said. "I think it helps us. We've played them recently, we know their tendencies, we know what they like to do.

"And we know we were able to get the win over them, so I think going into this game we should have a lot of confidence."

The Ducks want this one, too, not only to avenge last December's 17-14 loss in the Holiday Bowl, but also because they've never defeated the Sooners in six meetings dating to 1966.

In 2004, the Ducks went to Norman to face the then-No. 2 Sooners after Oregon had been embarrassed by a 30-24 loss at home to Indiana. Oklahoma won the game 31-7 and went on to the Bowl Championship Series title game.

"I'm pretty sure they want it pretty bad being that they have took the loss the last two years. We just have to know that coming into the game," Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly said. "We have to be just as motivated as if we lost the last two years going against Oregon."

The Sooners (2-0) started the season by getting past UAB 24-17, and then winning 37-20 last week against Washington -- a game that was tied at halftime.

Oregon is Oklahoma's first game on the road this season, and this is the Sooners' first trip to Autzen Stadium.

Oregon (2-0) opened at home with a 48-10 conference victory over Stanford before beating Fresno State 31-24 with a fourth-quarter fake field goal at Bulldog Stadium.

While the revenge factor from last year's Holiday Bowl loss has been huge going into the season, Oregon has dutifully concentrated on its first two games -- not wanting an ugly repeat of the Indiana loss two years ago.

"This team has done a great job of focusing on the task at hand," coach Mike Bellotti said.

Of course, the Sooners look a bit different than they did in last year's postseason. Gone is QB Rhett Bomar, who was dismissed before the season started after investigators discovered he had broken NCAA rules by taking money for work he did not perform at a Norman car dealership.

Thompson has performed respectably in taking over, throwing for 499 yards and four touchdowns this year. But he has also been intercepted three times.

"Obviously losing their starter is bad, but at the same time, this guy was starting at the beginning of last year and he was starting for a reason," Oregon linebacker Brett Haberly said. "He's a good athlete, and he's got a pretty good grasp of the offense."

The Sooners have seen a glimpse of Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon -- he played in the Holiday Bowl in tandem with Brady Leaf. The two had collectively replaced Kellen Clemens, who broke his ankle late last season.

In the waning minutes of the Holiday Bowl, Leaf was intercepted in Oklahoma territory, sealing the Sooners' victory.

This season, Dixon won the starter's job while Leaf became his backup. Dixon has completed 44 of 66 passes for 476 yards and a touchdown.

But no doubt most eyes will be on the running 28s: Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and Oregon's Jonathan Stewart.

Last year Peterson recovered from a high ankle sprain to run for 710 yards in the final five games of the season, including 84 yards against Oregon in the bowl win.

He has gained 304 yards on the ground through the first two games this season, including 32 carries for 165 yards and two scores in last weekend's victory over Washington.

Stewart had two carries for six yards in the bowl game. But big things were expected of the quick and powerful sophomore this season, and in his first game he ran for 168 yards before a right ankle injury limited him to one carry for three yards and a TD last weekend.

Stewart said he felt like he was about 80 percent as he prepped for the Sooners. The Ducks also have sophomore Jeremiah Johnson, who has rushed for 153 yards and has scored three touchdowns so far.

So, it could very well be the Battle of the Backs come Saturday.

"I don't look at it like that. Even though I don't look at it like that, that's probably how it's going to be played anyway," Peterson said. "I'm going to go out there and I'm going to try to take care of my job. That'll speak for itself basically."

jackietreehorn
9/15/2006, 11:04 AM
sounds like he plans on having a big day, ya know, more than his average everyday 170 yarder!! i love that kid.

Scotty
9/15/2006, 11:06 AM
Is it saturday yet???????

Jason White's Third Knee
9/15/2006, 12:02 PM
Here's why we win this game. AD can jump on a 36" box while holding 2 80lb dumbells.

Jonathan Stewart can only do that with 70's. *****.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
9/15/2006, 01:36 PM
There's not a whole lot of mystery between No. 15 Oklahoma and No. 18 Oregon.

The rivals will meet Saturday for the third time in three years,

Since when are they our rivals?

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 02:05 PM
sounds like he plans on having a big day, ya know, more than his average everyday 170 yarder!! i love that kid.

He needs a breakout day, like a 200 yarder to keep the Heisman pace with West Virginia's Stanton who rushed for 195 yards last night on only 21 carries.

King Crimson
9/15/2006, 02:14 PM
we'll need to score 30+ points to win. IMO.

i'm not sure we can cover their guys down the field.

DuckUnder
9/15/2006, 08:03 PM
Respectfully, I don't think there is any way Ad rushes for 200 against Oregon. He got 77 or 88 against us in the Holiday bowl when you had a much better QB than you do now. Granted we dont have Ngata any more, but our run D is still quite good. Frankly, I would think it much more likely that your QB throws for 300 yards than AD running for more than 150. With that said, I think AD is without question the best back in college football. Hoping for a game without injuries. Go DUCKS!!!

daddywarbucks
9/15/2006, 08:14 PM
Here's why we win this game. AD can jump on a 36" box while holding 2 80lb dumbells.

Jonathan Stewart can only do that with 70's. *****.

70's?? dang thats awso....oooh its onto a 4" box......yeah *****

goingoneight
9/15/2006, 09:53 PM
There's not a whole lot of mystery between No. 15 Oklahoma and No. 18 Oregon.

The rivals will meet Saturday for the third time in three years,

Since when are they our rivals?

I though UO and Okie Lite were rivals. They really seem to hate UO. OH!!! That's what a Gooner is!!!

Desert Sapper
9/15/2006, 10:10 PM
He got 77 or 88 against us in the Holiday bowl when you had a much better QB than you do now...Frankly, I would think it much more likely that your QB throws for 300 yards than AD running for more than 150.

Isn't that contradictory? It's more likely that we have a 'lesser' QB pass for over 300? As I see it, ENA needs to have a good game throwing the ball to back your defense up and let AD run. IF ENA has 250+ yards passing, AD has 200+ yards running. AD PERFORMS in big games (especially when healthy).

My concern is that YOUR RB tandem will probably run for 200+ if OUr D doesn't start playing to their potential (making open field tackles and getting penetration up front). Remember the name DeMarcus Granger. This may just be his breakout game.

stoopified
9/15/2006, 10:52 PM

Jonathan Stewart can only do that with 17's. *****. There I fixed it.If there is one thing I cannot stand,it is a math error.

DuckUnder
9/15/2006, 10:57 PM
I guess that was my point. I don't think there's a snowball's chance that your QB throws for 300, hence I don't think AD will rush for 150. He is a great back regardless.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 11:15 PM
Respectfully, I don't think there is any way Ad rushes for 200 against Oregon. He got 77 or 88 against us in the Holiday bowl when you had a much better QB than you do now.

A few things come to mind:

1. AD is healthier now than he was then.
2. AD can get 77 or 88 in one carry if there's a breakdown. This is evidenced by the Washington back getting more than his game average on the first play against us.
3. I'm not sure Bomar is a much better QB than Thompson.

The VIIIth
9/15/2006, 11:22 PM
Respectfully, I don't think there is any way Ad rushes for 200 against Oregon. He got 77 or 88 against us in the Holiday bowl when you had a much better QB than you do now. Granted we dont have Ngata any more, but our run D is still quite good. Frankly, I would think it much more likely that your QB throws for 300 yards than AD running for more than 150. With that said, I think AD is without question the best back in college football. Hoping for a game without injuries. Go DUCKS!!!

AD was used, if you'll pardon the expression, as a decoy primarily in the first half of the Holiday Bowl. Those 80 came mostly in the 2nd half. Not his fault if his number isn't called.

Paul T's numbers and decisions have been beyond reproach in the two home games. We'll see how it holds on the road in a hostile environment...which is usually anywhere OU plays.

This ain't Thompson's first rodeo.

jwlynn64
9/15/2006, 11:42 PM

Is this post for real. Fresno torched UO last week with the run. What makes anyone think that AD will do less.

Also, PT is not inferior to RB. The first two games have proved that.

I'm just having trouble believing this post isn't someone pulling our collective legs. :confused:

lil'duck
9/15/2006, 11:47 PM
Is this post for real. Fresno torched UO last week with the run. What makes anyone think that AD will do less.

Also, PT is not inferior to RB. The first two games have proved that.

I'm just having trouble believing this post isn't someone pulling our collective legs. :confused:

sadly, I'm inclined to agree. It was just ugly how many yards Fresno ran on us. Although Oregon did win, anyway...but, if Oregon's D doesn't adjust, then tomorrow's game is another story. I'm just hoping beanpole (Dixon) can save us in the end.

Soonerus
9/15/2006, 11:52 PM
Ducks, meet a healthy AD...he goes over 200 easy...

birddog
9/16/2006, 12:01 AM
tell that to the fresno back.

tbl
9/16/2006, 12:02 AM
when you had a much better QB than you do now.

Tap the brakes, duck.

Soonerus
9/16/2006, 12:04 AM
I do not think the duckies respect AD, look out...

Ike
9/16/2006, 12:31 AM
I guess that was my point. I don't think there's a snowball's chance that your QB throws for 300, hence I don't think AD will rush for 150. He is a great back regardless.
300 maybe stretching it. 200 would not be surprising though.

ENA has a better chance of hitting 300 yards in this game than that knucklehead ever would have. book it.

You may not think he's much of a QB now as he did lose his job to a freshman last year after the TCU debacle. But I have a very strong feeling that you'll change your mind on that one before halftime.

Desert Sapper
9/16/2006, 02:41 AM
I do not think the duckies respect AD, look out...

I'm willing to bet that he's the only guy their fans respect. I have no doubt their D has been preparing for ENA, too, regardless of what ESPN and the popular media has been spewing. They'll be ready for us, regardless of how clueless their fans might be. I just hope OUr D is more ready for their O than we were for UAB and UW. That whole 'lack of tackling' thing has yet to be completely remedied, regardless of what happened in the second half last week.

Dio
9/16/2006, 09:45 AM
Respectfully, I don't think there is any way Ad rushes for 200 against Oregon. He got 77 or 88 against us in the Holiday bowl when you had a much better QB than you do now.

Last season, the idiot had 10 picks and 10 TD's. So far this season, ENA has 3 picks and 4 TD's. Statistically I'm not seeing the dropoff, and overall Paul brings more to the table as far as maturity and being a team player. Duck soup tonight!

cdnduck
9/16/2006, 10:57 AM
So let me get this straight. AD, as good a back as he is hasn't been able to top the 200 yard mark yet this year against the worst team in the Pac-10 and UAB, but you think he's going to hit that mark today? I guess the drinking has started early in Soonerland.

Texas Golfer
9/16/2006, 10:16 PM
When I pointed out the AD would probably have to run for 200 to keep pace with WV's Stanton, this Oregon homer said this:

I don't think AD will rush for 150.

Guess what, Homer.