PDA

View Full Version : Artcle on AD and Oregon's Stewart

msteudem
9/15/2006, 10:50 AM
Toward the end of the article check out what Stewart says about Peterson, "He's so, like, masculine on the field." :D

http://www.newsok.com/article/2847604

Saturday will be battle of No. 28s

By John Helsley
Staff Writer

NORMAN — By now it's apparent that No. 28 can be a real difference-maker.
"Absolutely," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "Strong runner. Explosiveness. He's an excellent back."

No, not Stoops' crimson-clad No. 28.

Oregon's 28 — Jonathan Stewart, a sophomore running back in the mold of OU's Adrian Peterson (No. 28) who ranks among the nation's rising young stars.

In a way Saturday, Stewart goes head-to-head with Peterson trying to tilt the balance in this major matchup. At the end of the afternoon at Autzen Stadium, which back claims the better day may determine which team walks away the winner.

"That's probably how it's going to be played (in the media)," Peterson said. "I'm going to go out there and try to take care of my job and let that speak for itself."

While there's much more to this clash of top-25 teams, focus falls on the running game and each team's struggles to stop the run.

Peterson is the nation's No. 6 rusher, averaging 152 yards a game. He'll go against an Oregon defense that just surrendered 217 yards to Fresno State — 154 by Dwayne Wright, who hardly conjures the kind of fear Peterson puts into defenses.

Then there's Stewart, who's averaging 7.4 yards per carry, although he managed but one attempt against Fresno because of an ankle sprain he now claims is healed.

Stewart struck for 168 yards and two touchdowns in an opening rout of Stanford.

In the Sooners, Stewart faces a defense that has been a disappointment, allowing a 200-yard rushing game to Washington.

"I talked to (Stewart) about the two No. 28s on the field and said to him that this is a tremendous opportunity to prove that you're the same kind of guy," Bellotti said. "He's excited."

Comparisons of Stewart to Peterson pale for now.

While Peterson shattered records in finishing as the Heisman runner-up as a freshman, Stewart's first season a year ago was spent as a part-time player waiting his turn behind Terrence Whitehead, Oregon's No. 2 all-time rusher.

Stewart finished his freshman season with 188 yards and six touchdowns, yet did lead the nation in kick-off returns, averaging 33.7 yards per runback.

Just a junior, Peterson is in hot pursuit of Billy Sims to become OU's all-time rushing leader. Stewart is still chasing his first 1,000-yard season.

And Stewart faces questions about his durability, raised again with this latest ankle injury.

"You haven't seen Stewart," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. "He hasn't played a great deal.

"To compare him to Adrian � Adrian's different than everybody, to me. He's a wild, caged animal."

Still, there are similarities.

Both backs are big — Peterson 6-foot-2, 218 pounds; Stewart 5-11, 230. They share great speed, with Stewart timed as fast as 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. And both were prized prep recruits.

Peterson was the consensus national player of the year in 2003. ESPN.com ranked Stewart the nation's No. 2 recruit the following year.

"Jonathan's combination of speed and strength and power is unmatched on our team," Bellotti said. "I think when healthy, he is a difference-maker and a guy that we need in order compete with the top teams in the nation.

"I think Jonathan gives us the chance to do that."

The two big backs are fans of each other.

Peterson on Stewart: "I want to tell my guys on defense, and they're probably going to find out anyway, ‘He ain't no slouch. This boy can run the ball.'"

Stewart on Peterson: "He's a workhorse. When he runs, he actually reminds me of a horse because he just keeps going. He's so, like, masculine on the field."

Projections are for Stewart to blossom into a star, as early as this season. This game?

"I don't really think it's up to one person, or two people to change the game," Stewart said. "It's all 11 players on each side of the ball."

That's safe talk.

But ask Stewart who's the best back?

"I'm not really going to say who's best," he said.

How about No. 28?

Scotty
9/15/2006, 10:55 AM
"He's so, like, masculine on the field."

Maybe he admires him a little more than we thought???:confused:

The Maestro
9/15/2006, 10:57 AM
Looks like Stewart likes to hug more than trees up in Oreeegone!

Jason White's Third Knee
9/15/2006, 11:36 AM
AD IS, like , so masculine on the field.... and hot and sweaty too. What a hunka man meat.

boomrsoonr
9/15/2006, 11:41 AM
Stewart on Peterson: "He's so, like, masculine on the field."

That's about the gayest thing I've heard.

Miko
9/15/2006, 12:19 PM
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3590/paulrudd12jv4.jpg

Know how I know you're gay?

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/15/2006, 12:27 PM
Cause you said you weren't sleeping with women anymore