PDA

View Full Version : From a 3 Pete to a NO PETE.

nBoSTP
9/15/2006, 06:54 AM
I was just sitting here thinking that if the NCAA strips USC of their national title then they just went from the media "3 pete" to a "no pete" in a matter of minutes.

TexasLidig8r
9/15/2006, 08:16 AM
I was just sitting here thinking that if the NCAA strips USC of their national title then they just went from the media "3 pete" to a "no pete" in a matter of minutes.

Poor Condoms.

BoogercountySooner
9/15/2006, 08:21 AM
Now fella's Reggie denies everything.

GreenSooner
9/15/2006, 08:32 AM
Now fella's Reggie denies everything.
Of course he does. But let's be honest. All he stands to lose is a trophy and a vote for the Heisman. He's cashed in his chips.

When I heard this news I was thinking the same thing as nBoSTP: USC will go from being the only dynasty with a single championship to the only dynasty with NO national championships.

I guess there's another way of looking at this: the NCAA can't take the 2003 MNC away from the condoms...because they didn't win the 2003 MNC.:D

oufan1
9/15/2006, 08:35 AM
Did something new happen with this.... why are we bringing it back up?

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/15/2006, 08:37 AM
yeah I think new stuff came out this morning...something about Reggie getting over 100,000.

SoonerMooner
9/15/2006, 08:39 AM
Trust me. The NCAA isn't going to do a darn thing to USC in the end. USC, Notre Dame, and texass are untouchable by the NCAA.

OUDoc
9/15/2006, 08:43 AM
I'll laugh if it happens, but won't hold my breath. They'll get away with it.

instigator
9/15/2006, 08:47 AM
Here's the link to the story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/

VolinArizona
9/15/2006, 09:00 AM
The NCAA cannot strip the NC from USC. They can only force them to forfeit the games they played. The AP/BCS/etc could then decide to invalidate the titles.

Soonermagik
9/15/2006, 09:09 AM
If and this is a big IF they take the title away from SC does OU automatically get it?? Think about it, if USC didn't win the title what are they going to say for that year no one won the title?

usmc-sooner
9/15/2006, 09:12 AM
If and this is a big IF they take the title away from SC does OU automatically get it?? Think about it, if USC didn't win the title what are they going to say for that year no one won the title?

I wouldn't want it like that. If that was the case I'd say Auburn should get it.

OUDoc
9/15/2006, 09:21 AM
No one should get it. No one earned it on the field.

BeetDigger
9/15/2006, 09:26 AM
Any probation or sanctions that are given will be decided by the PAC-10. They enforce penalties and then the NCAA reviews and decides if they are strong enough.

The PAC -10 got tired of Washington kicking their asses so they threw the book at UW when Billy Joe Hobart got loan to buy a car based upon his earning potential.

Given this, the PAC - 10 will probably give USC a stern talking to and a request that they never, ever, ever do that again. And that will be good in the eyes of the NCAA.

OKLA21FAN
9/15/2006, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't want it like that. If that was the case I'd say Auburn should get it.
problem is, that Auburn was 'giving away' grades in '04 as well.

Dio
9/15/2006, 09:45 AM
I'm sure some Swank-esque mid-level NCAA or Pac-10 dunderhead will give Pete Carroll a richly deserved finger-wagging.

And what are the odds anyone in the media will blast suc for running a "renegade program"? Less than zero.

mxATVracer10
9/15/2006, 09:52 AM
new investigations suggest that Reggie and his family took over 100K in "gifts" from two different agents, one of which he finally signed with...
:pop:

::Edit:: Damn this thread filled up quick, I started replying to this when it was five posts deep!

Hamhock
9/15/2006, 09:57 AM
new investigations suggest that Reggie and his family took over 100K in "gifts" from two different agents, one of which he finally signed with...
:pop:

hence the birth of this thread

instigator
9/15/2006, 09:58 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Flagstaffsooner
9/15/2006, 09:58 AM
EDSBS's take on it (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=2563)

StoopTroup
9/15/2006, 10:14 AM
$18,000.00 for a job you don't go to...

Well...that's not a good thing.

But...if you self disclose and let your starting QB and Center go, it would seem you have some integrity.

If you hide a 3/4 Million Home and $100,000 and then said player leaves early for the NFL to cash in and later more and more charges pop up...

I can't see the NCAA sitting on their hands on this one.

Things are getting out of control it seems to me.

r5TPsooner
9/15/2006, 10:15 AM
F'in cheaters.:D

The Maestro
9/15/2006, 10:16 AM
Bottom line, though, no matter how wrong it was it had nothing to do with USC's on field performance. If Reggie or his family got 100K last year it's not like it brought him to the school...he was already there. What Reggie did on the field has nothing to do with the amount of money someone might have dished out to him or his family during his junior year. It's a black eye, it's cheating, but it has ZERO to do with the way USC played last year.

sooneron
9/15/2006, 10:17 AM
$18,000.00 for a job you don't go to...

Well...that's not a good thing.

But...if you self disclose and let your starting QB and Center go, it would seem you have some integrity.

If you hide a 3/4 Million Home and $100,000 and then said player leaves early for the NFL to cash in and later more and more charges pop up...

I can't see the NCAA sitting on their hands on this one.

Things are getting out of control it seems to me.
Actually, I believe the final overpayment numbers to the idiot were around 4K. He was cheated.

StoopTroup
EDSBS's take on it (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=2563)
Another thing you could have learned from Spurrier...

In fact, the whole bit reminds us of the Tank Black scandal at Florida, where a sports agent fed hungry undergrad phenoms cash in exchange for their trust, eventual agency when they went pro, and ultimately the management of their pro money. Black managed some 12 million of that into his own pockets, and now claims an address ending with “FEDERAL POUND-YOU-IN-THE-*** PRISONVILLE,” but Florida got away with little in the way of sanctions because Spurrier and the coaching staff knew next to nothing about it.

fadada1
i would LOVE to see them get nailed. something like $5000 would be no big deal in the grand scheme of things. but $100K??? that's a different matter. that's just ignorant. i already disagree with the way the NCAA conducts some (not all) of its business. ignoring this would send a VERY poor message about integrity in amatuer athletics and would be a "violation" of their mission statement... BIG TIME!!!

StoopTroup
9/15/2006, 10:19 AM
Actually, I believe the final overpayment numbers to the idiot were around 4K. He was cheated.
Hadn't heard that but it's still wrong and he should have just showed up to work.

CU Sooner
9/15/2006, 10:21 AM
Bottom line, though, no matter how wrong it was it had nothing to do with USC's on field performance. If Reggie or his family got 100K last year it's not like it brought him to the school...he was already there. What Reggie did on the field has nothing to do with the amount of money someone might have dished out to him or his family during his junior year. It's a black eye, it's cheating, but it has ZERO to do with the way USC played last year.

I have to disagree in the fact that when he took the money he becomes ineligible. Take him off the field and the condom offense is not nearly effective. So in essence, it has everything to do with how suc played last year and maybe even the year before.

sooneron
9/15/2006, 10:25 AM
I have to disagree in the fact that when he took the money he becomes ineligible. Take him off the field and the condom offense is not nearly effective. So in essence, it has everything to do with how suc played last year and maybe even the year before.
Well, they'd have to definitely give up the fresno st and nd games as both outcomes hinged on bu$h- something like 400 total yards against the convict school and the cheating push against the domers.

OUinFLA
9/15/2006, 10:28 AM

Yeah, they already have rings and banners and stuff.

SteelClip49
9/15/2006, 10:30 AM
This was a one man deal. USC, the school and the football program had no part in it. As much as people want to take USC's 2 national titles, it will not happen. The Heisman can be taken away because it's an individual achievement.

FTR, if the 2004 national title was to be taken away, I say Utah deserves it more than Auburn. Utah played a full division 1A schedule. It would give the mormons at BYU something to cry about considering they would see their #1 rival with a national title since BYU has one.

sooneron
9/15/2006, 10:31 AM
Hadn't heard that but it's still wrong and he should have just showed up to work.
No doubt, but it seems that how the ncaa deals with transgressions on a basis that reflect upon the dollar amount. I don't what I just typed made sense, but I'm sure you're picking up what I'm putting down.

fadada1
9/15/2006, 10:44 AM
This was a one man deal. USC, the school and the football program had no part in it. As much as people want to take USC's 2 national titles, it will not happen. The Heisman can be taken away because it's an individual achievement.

but no... usc DID have a part in it!!!! just as much as OU had a part in the idiot's mistake. lack of knowledge/ignorance is not an excuse.

they may not take away the trophy, but there should be some punishment habded down to their program.

CU Sooner
9/15/2006, 10:47 AM
I could care less about the titles, i just want to see suc held responsible for the action of their compliance department. OU gets nailed by the media as running a renegade program, yet it is responsible for uncovering and reporting their problems and then resolving those problems. suc on the other hand, has thier problems uncovered by outside sources and still gets a free ride by the media. The NCAA should just state that if you are one of our loves (nd, suc, fsu, etc) you can do whatever you want.

RedstickSooner
9/15/2006, 10:48 AM
Brief nugget of goodness from some of the links associated with the story -- apparently the UCLA fans refer to USC as "Pom Pom".

As this nickname acknowledges the only good thing about the program, it seems like a good 'un to me.

I think I may take to using it.

Scotty
9/15/2006, 10:51 AM

Now, I might be wrong on this, but wouldnt Auburn get it anyways since they finished second in the BCS?

RedstickSooner
9/15/2006, 10:51 AM
This was a one man deal. USC, the school and the football program had no part in it.

Yahoo went to great lengths to emphasize that at least one coach was familiar with the details of the arrangement, and that agents involved in dispensing the benefits were allowed both in the locker room, and on the sidelines.

The defense of, "I'm just a dumb shi'ite, and didn't realize nuttin' was wrong." only goes so far -- and once that dumb shi'ite starts letting the guilty parties hang out in the locker room, I'd say the dumb shi'ite exemption has been exceeded.

RedstickSooner
9/15/2006, 11:00 AM
Brief nugget of goodness from some of the links associated with the story -- apparently the UCLA fans refer to USC as "Pom Pom".

As this nickname acknowledges the only good thing about the program, it seems like a good 'un to me.

I think I may take to using it.

Sorry, apparently I misunderstood. It would appear Pom Pom is their nickname for Petey Boy.

Carry on.

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2006, 11:03 AM
Now, I might be wrong on this, but wouldnt Auburn get it anyways since they finished second in the BCS?
There is no post-bowl BCS poll. The final one in '04:

http://soonerstats.com/fb/polls/bcs/seasons.cfm?SeasonID=2004&BCSPollID=53

sooneron
9/15/2006, 11:28 AM
but no... usc DID have a part in it!!!! just as much as OU had a part in the idiot's mistake. lack of knowledge/ignorance is not an excuse.

they may not take away the trophy, but there should be some punishment habded down to their program.
usc may have had a little to do with it as it appears the RB coach may have had knowlege of this.

Scotty
9/15/2006, 11:40 AM
There is no post-bowl BCS poll. The final one in '04:

http://soonerstats.com/fb/polls/bcs/seasons.cfm?SeasonID=2004&BCSPollID=53

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Luthor
9/15/2006, 12:29 PM
That can't happen. ESPN would spend their entire net worth in court to prevent it. After all, what is worth more than saving face? Both of them.

Luthor
9/15/2006, 12:32 PM
Trust me. The NCAA isn't going to do a darn thing to USC in the end. USC, Notre Dame, and texass are untouchable by the NCAA.

Wrong my friend. We're not the ones with the full time ESPN crotch slurping beat writer on campus. That distinction belongs only to USuCk and Domer.

Jewstin
9/15/2006, 01:19 PM

I read somewhere that the overpayment was a discrepency of $2,500 between what he actually worked and what he was paid.

I had a little more respect for him (granted, it was still on the order of miniscule) when it was, "Bomar gives up future career for $18,000." To know he gave it all up for only $2,500? C'mon. If you're going to cheat the system, at least do it right. You're giving a bad name to all the other cheaters in college football.

The words that come to mind ... Sad. Laughable. Pathetic.

I can't see USC getting off with a slap on the wrist. This report about Bush is EVERYWHERE. If they broom this under the rug, they are going to have a lot of negative publicity ... and when that happens, the politicians step in.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 01:58 PM

Certainly not Auburn. They've just come to terms as to why they didn't play in the game (their weak non-con schedule). If they were to get the Crystal, they'd schedule La-Monroe, La-Lafayette, and The Citadel every year but now, since they have four non-con games, they'd schedule the La. School for the Blind, as well.

fadada1
9/15/2006, 02:13 PM
usc may have had a little to do with it as it appears the RB coach may have had knowlege of this.
"is that wrong??? should i not have done that??? 'cause i gotta plead ignorance."

wishbonesooner
9/15/2006, 02:46 PM
"usc may have had a little to do with it as it appears the RB coach may have had knowlege of this"
If the rb coach is employed by the university, that smacks of "lack of institutional control". I'll bet a cold beer nothing happens. Nada. Zero.

badger
9/15/2006, 04:27 PM
weeeeelll, we sort of had an athlete that got away with this for awhile. granted, he didn't take as much (either one of them), but we found out about the problem and dismissed his arse (both of them, actually).

USC can't do that--- they're contenders for the title, they've got a Heisman legacy to preserve. They need all the awards and accolades they can get, or athletes will keep going to the east coast Florida schools. We have Texas and Oklahoma to pull recruits from. What does USC have? Where is your sympathy for a program that's in such a competitive area for the talent-lacking state of California?

Give USC their dues--- they're a Division I-A school, too. Let them keep their championship. Dammit, with all the hardship they endure off the Pacific coast beach, they deserve to keep the title. They deserve to keep the Heisman. THEY DESERVE TO BE LEFT ALONE.

Okay, Mr. Carroll. Change all that to your perspective instead of mine, but say it with a straight face. They might let you off... okay, say that with a straight face too.

DrZaius
9/15/2006, 06:13 PM
I was just thinking that even though he is a greedy bastardo. It is the players that are still there and the school that has to pay the price. So while he is making millions in the NFL the kids at suc could be facing a bowl ban and other things that hey do not deserve.

There should be a price that Reggie has to pay. Chris Webber also got away scot free while his University got hammered. It is just all screwed up.

By the way.....I still don'tbelieve that anything will come of this but I was impressed by the level of details this time.