PDA

View Full Version : pruning rose bushes

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 07:31 PM
any of you know the ins and outs of this?

the links i've read via google all talk about pruning in the spring, as if you only do this once a year.......but i was under the impression you pruned off the dead flowers

i've got 2 hybrid tea rose plants that are growing like weeds and putting out some great looking flowers - however one of the plants is approaching 6.5 feet with one of the stems

AlbqSooner
9/14/2006, 08:06 PM
As the flowers die, or before if you choose to display them in a vase, prune them. During the winter hack the hell out of em. Cut them back so much you think you might be taking too much. Seriously, they come back in the spring and produce even more flowers. My grandmother always said you prune them back to the fifth leaf. I guess that is counting from the bottom up.

Think about it, when you buy rose bushes they have branches that are about as thick as your finger but only about 6-10 inches long. That is what they should look like after a winter pruning.

proud gonzo
9/14/2006, 08:08 PM
yes, you prune off the dead flowers (dead-heading)--trim above the highest stem with 5 leaves on it. (that's what she means by the fifth leaf) trim at an angle.

If two branches cross each other, trim one off. that's all I know.

but the reason they'll produce even more flowers in the spring is that the blossoms are produced from NEW growth, rather than branches there from the year before.

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 08:12 PM
what about those branches that have the shooters growing out of them? i pruned one back and it died at that spot and then two more stems grew out the sides of it and thats where i'm getting the height from....i guess just let them go until the winter and then cut them back?

proud gonzo
9/14/2006, 08:15 PM
i have no idea... if nobody on here answers you tonight i'll ask my grandma for you--she knows a ton about roses...and her father was a botanist.

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 08:16 PM
thanks, i appreciate it.......i'm wondering if thats what the website i read refers to as "suckers"

slickdawg
9/14/2006, 08:45 PM
yes, you prune off the dead flowers (dead-heading)--trim above the highest stem with 5 leaves on it. (that's what she means by the fifth leaf) trim at an angle.

If two branches cross each other, trim one off. that's all I know.

but the reason they'll produce even more flowers in the spring is that the blossoms are produced from NEW growth, rather than branches there from the year before.

Basically, that's it. Slickwife usually cuts off a little more than that on our rose bushes. Whoops, our former rose bushes. The new place has none.

yet.

RacerX
9/14/2006, 10:47 PM
roses = debil

Okla-homey
9/14/2006, 10:54 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2491/ccccccccccccccccccrose1oo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2006, 10:54 PM
So hey, JK, when you're done pruning the rose bushes do you suppose you could tat me up a doily or three?

;)

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 10:56 PM
now now, they are for mrs jk - they have a special meaning for her that go back to her miscarriage

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2006, 10:56 PM
Well hey, now I feel like an ***...

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 11:00 PM
lol, you didnt know and i know you were giving me ****

hey, i've got the best looking front yard on my street.....i planted those for her thinking they'd just do "ok"......well holy crap they are growing like weeds and putting out some really nice flowers

if you're into that sort of thing........and by the way, they're as close to crimson as you could find :)

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2006, 11:02 PM
Pretty cool. Unfortunately, two things predicate against me growing roses.

1. Heh. A temperature-sensitive flower that requires a lot of care up here?
2. I own a townhouse. Bonus-I do no yardwork. Downside-I don't have a lawn.

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2006, 11:03 PM
yeah i cant imagine how you'd grow that up in your neck of the woods

Mjcpr
9/15/2006, 08:46 AM
Booty bump. :D

Seems like she's some kind of rose expert or something.

jk the sooner fan
9/15/2006, 08:51 AM
Booty bump. :D

Seems like she's some kind of rose expert or something.

yeah i was hoping both pg and bsg would respond....

BeetDigger
9/15/2006, 09:11 AM
Back when I had rose bushes, I would trim the dead flowers by counting three or five. When the flower dies, count down from there the forks. I would cut just below the third fork usually. First pruning in the spring I would usually go down to the fifth fork however, just to clean it up and give it some breathing room. And yes, clean out the crossing and twisted branches. Roses were pretty easy to care for: water, systemic and pruning. That was it.

usmc-sooner
9/15/2006, 09:15 AM
you guys sure know a lot about pruning your bushes. :D

sorry to hear about your bad news, jk. Best wishes to Mrs. jk

jk the sooner fan
9/15/2006, 09:17 AM
its something that happened several years ago, but i knew she wanted some rose bushes for the same reason

they're easy to grow - and look really good.......there's a house down the street from us that has a gazillion rose bushes around the house - looks great with all the color

Mjcpr
9/15/2006, 09:18 AM
Dang jk, Booty must really hate you and your threads.

jk the sooner fan
9/15/2006, 09:21 AM
she's stuck in that damn "WAYLT" thread

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/15/2006, 09:25 AM
I can't grow roses. I can grow dang near anything but roses.

I have heavy clay soil and they just don't do well in clay. They need a little more acidity and a decently aerated soil. I wish I could, though - I love them.

So I refer to pg on this one. So solly...:(

Mjcpr
9/15/2006, 09:34 AM
This has a lot of info......

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/jan04/HU4,Solving.html

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/15/2006, 09:35 AM
You know, someone that is so successfully growing hair on a toof should be able to help at least a little.

WITHOUT the innerweb...

Fugue
9/15/2006, 09:38 AM
You know, someone that is so successfully growing hair on a toof should be able to help at least a little.

WITHOUT the innerweb...

well, someone who's name is Booty shouldn't have a problem with assidity. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/15/2006, 09:40 AM
ZANG!!!

Mjcpr
9/15/2006, 10:02 AM

WITHOUT the innerweb...

So tell us more about these "suckers" jk mentioned.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/15/2006, 10:16 AM
ZANG...AGAIN!!!

sooner n houston
9/15/2006, 10:49 AM
JK, sorry to bring this thread back on topic but, trim your roses as needed when they are out growing your expectations/desire.

Best rule of thumb for annual slahing is on Feb. 14 (yes, Valentines day) trim the bush back to about 12" high.

Fugue
9/15/2006, 11:29 AM
well, someone who's name is Booty shouldn't have a problem with assidity. :D

this is gold people. :mad:

"You weep for Booty and you curse the fugue. You have that Luxury. And my humor, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the humor because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on this board. You NEED me on this board. We use words like spek, teh, and gah. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent humoring something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a forum that negs and whines under the blanket of the very humor that I provide, and then questions the posts in which I provide it. I would rather you just said, "Have some spek," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and type a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what humor you think you are entitled to.

jk the sooner fan
9/15/2006, 11:31 AM
ok i'll spek you for the last comment, but it has nothing to do with the original joke

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/15/2006, 11:32 AM
I used my spekker on you for it.

Fugue
9/15/2006, 11:35 AM
Oh I dont care about spek, but thank you. I just wanted to post something not very funny from A Few Good Men. I suckceded. :texan:

MamaMia
9/15/2006, 02:34 PM
When you prune roses, remember to gather and discard all the debris. If left on the ground, it can cause disease.

BeetDigger
9/15/2006, 03:38 PM
When you prune roses, remember to gather and discard all the debris. If left on the ground, it can cause disease.

You mean like the flu, mumps, measles, AIDS, .... ?

:D

MamaMia
9/15/2006, 04:11 PM
You mean like the flu, mumps, measles, AIDS, .... ?

:DYou would be surprised what bushes can catch from dirty beds. ;)