PDA

View Full Version : First national media-love I've seen given to ENA

Ike
9/14/2006, 06:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2587702

The outlook isn't as good for Jackie Bates, the Ducks' best cover cornerback. He broke his leg against Fresno, and defensive coaches are reviewing an array of secondary permutations to fend off a surprisingly solid Oklahoma passing attack led by Paul Thompson. Thompson, whose numbers are roughly equal to Dixon's, converted back from receiver to quarterback after Rhett Bomar was booted from the team.

Nice to see that at least someone is realizing that ENA is more than just a space-filler at QB.

OUHOMER
9/14/2006, 06:35 PM
I was wondering how like it would take. I hope Corso is not paying attention

DrZaius
9/14/2006, 06:38 PM
It is about time. Even the guys at work are starting to relize that ENA isn't that bad. That is a pretty good compliment considering I live in SEC/ACC country

Ike
9/14/2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think you have to worry about that. He never pays attention!

:P

TheGodfather889
9/14/2006, 06:55 PM
Now if ESPN would take notice it would be nicer.

QuackAttack
9/14/2006, 07:05 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread (but I cannot create one of my own). BTW, I am impressed with ENA's play, and I think he will be productive verses Oregon.

Below is an Insider article on Espn.

Oklahoma Offense vs. Oregon DefenseOklahoma spreads the field with multiple-receiver sets and it will occasionally throw on first down to keep Oregon off balance. However, this is a run-heavy offense and don't expect that to change this week. With this game in Eugene, the Sooners don't want to ask too much of QB Paul Thompson, who was expected to line up at receiver and is making his first road start this year. The Ducks are expecting a steady diet of RB Adrian Peterson and they will frequently move ROV Patrick Chung into the box in an effort to slow him down. Chung lacks elite size but he is a powerful open field tackler that closes extremely well in pursuit, so that's a concern for Oklahoma. The key for the Sooners will be efficiency.
No. 15 Oklahoma at No. 18 OregonOklahoma vs. Oregon

When: Sept. 16, 3:30 p.m. ET (ABC)Where: Eugene, Ore.Preview: Oregon seeks revenge against Oklahoma

Oregon's linebackers are experienced and they rarely get caught out position so the Ducks generally do a good job of closing down cutback lanes. However, the interior defensive line lacks an elite run stuffer. As long as Peterson stays vertical and doesn't try to do too much he has the lower body strength to consistently pick up three-to-four yards per carry. That's good enough to keep drives alive and take pressure off Thompson. Pounding the ball between the tackles helps the offensive line as well. Though the offensive line is inexperienced it's talented and running between the tackles simplifies blocking angles making it easier for them to get into position. That being said, one area of concern about the offensive line is discipline. Last week two offensive linemen committed false start penalties on Oklahoma's opening drive and it's going to be a lot louder in Eugene. The offensive line cannot continue to make these mistakes because it forces Thompson to throw downfield more often.

Besides establishing the run, Sooners' offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson will try to help Thompson by running bootlegs and sprint outs. Thompson is mobile and he can be accurate when throwing on the run but he doesn't always make great decisions under pressure and he has thrown three interceptions thus far. Moving him makes it more difficult for Oregon to get to him and simplifies his reads by effectively cutting the field in half. Perhaps even more importantly, it gives him the option to run and he is certainly capable of taking advantage of those opportunities. There is also reason to believe Thompson will have a strong day, as he will be working against a Ducks' secondary that will be asked to help out in support and is suspect at corner. With WR's Juaquin Iglesias, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Strong creating quality separation the margin of error is greater for Thompson because he isn't throwing into tight spaces nearly as much.

Oregon Offense vs. Oklahoma DefenseRB Jonathan Stewart injured his ankle in the season opener and he carried the ball just once last week, but he is expected to play versus Oklahoma. If he can't go or the injury limits him, Jeremiah Johnson will get the bulk of the carries. Johnson did a good job of filling in last week but he lacks the explosiveness that a healthy Stewart provides this offense. The important point to make here is it won't matter which back gets the ball if Oklahoma's front seven doesn't start living up to expectations and the tackling doesn't improve. While Oregon's offensive line doesn't always get great push it is experienced and it gets into good position. As a result, the Sooners have to do a much better job of shedding blocks and locating the ball carrier. In addition, Stewart and Johnson are both balanced runners that run with good power. If Oklahoma's linebackers and safeties don't start squaring their shoulders to the ball carrier and wrapping up, both backs are capable of picking up ample yards after contact.

The front four's inability to get to the quarterback has been almost as disappointing as its inability to stop the run and it's unlikely that changes this week. First off, as well as the offensive line drive blocks it is at its best when QB Dennis Dixon drops back. Secondly, Dixon has excellent pocket presence and he excels at buying himself time. Thirdly, is the Duck's spread scheme. While WR Garren Strong sustained a lower leg injury last week and he could be limited this week, Oregon's receiving corps is deep without him in the lineup. That doesn't bode well for the Sooners because they don't have the depth at corner to matchup. Keeping that in mind, the Ducks' multiple-receiver sets create favorable single coverage matchups on the outside and that allows Dixon to get rid of the ball quickly. It's also worth noting that a playmaker has yet to emerge in Oklahoma's secondary and Dixon has done an excellent job of protecting the football thus far.

Special TeamsOklahoma PK Garrett Hartley has connected on all four of his field goal attempts including three last week. He is showing good accuracy as well as range and appears to have bounced back from a disappointing 2005 season. There's no reason to believe he won't take advantage of his opportunities to put points on the board. P Michael Cohen has a powerful leg and he generally puts good hang time on his kicks. KOR Juaquin Gonzalez is explosive and he has flashed big-play ability. PR Reggie Smith is a big-play threat as well, as he has the second gear to outrun most defenders.
Oregon PK Paul Martinez has connected on three of his four field goal attempts and his only miss resulted from a block last week. While the Ducks have to do a better job of protecting him, Martinez is one of the best in the nation. It's also worth noting Oregon faked a field goal and ran for a touchdown because the Sooners must stay focused and disciplined when Martinez trots onto the field. P Matt Dragich possesses excellent range and he does a good job of giving his cover team time to get downfield by putting a lot of air under his kicks. PR Jeremiah Johnson lacks elite speed but he is elusive and he reads his blocks well. KOR Andiel Brown reaches his top speed quickly and he is elusive.

Matchups• Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson vs. Oregon ROV Patrick Chung• Oklahoma ROG Brandon Walker vs. Oregon DT Cole Linehan• Oregon LOT Max Unger vs. Oklahoma DE C.J. Ah You

Scouts' EdgeOklahoma will keep this game close by handing the ball off to Peterson early and often but it won't be enough for the Sooners to get the win. While Peterson will help keep the chains moving, Oregon's run defense is strong enough to force Oklahoma to convert several third-and-long situations. Thompson will make some big plays but he will also make some critical mistakes that end in stalled drives and/or turnovers. Offensively, Oregon will keep the Sooners off balance with a quality mix of run and pass. The Ducks' backs should be productive enough to take pressure of Dixon and set up the play action package. Dixon will continue to do what he has done thus far, which is spread the ball around and take what the defense gives him. In addition, it's tough to overrate the part Oregon's offensive line will play in this game. It may not be pretty or dominant but the front five will create seams for the backs and make Dixon feel confident in the pocket. The Ducks simply have too much offensive firepower at home in this one.

Prediction: Ducks 24, Sooners 20

QuackAttack
9/14/2006, 07:10 PM
Have you all seen this pic?

http://www.sportsdignity.com/0046.html

Ash
9/14/2006, 07:49 PM
Good to see Paul get some well deserved credit. He's got some work to do but I've been pleasantly surprised with his play.

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2006, 07:59 PM
Have you all seen this pic?

http://www.sportsdignity.com/0046.html
I ironic thing about that picture is that castration is typical for the bevo worshippers.

They wouldn't feel a thing.

OUHOMER
9/14/2006, 08:34 PM
I seriously hope the ducks believe that bs. Because ENA will light them up

Jewstin
9/14/2006, 08:35 PM
Thompson is mobile and he can be accurate when throwing on the run but he doesn't always make great decisions under pressure and he has thrown three interceptions thus far.

Bleargh. Sometimes I wonder if anyone has actually watched PT play. They're recognizing his statistics now, but that's about it.

I don't think I've seen PT throw into coverage or make many bad decisions. In fact, his decision making seems to be excellent. Personally, I've been blown away by understanding of the game. The only thing off the mark are some of his throws, and that will equalize with playing time. He progresses through his reads like a seasoned veteran ... pretty typical of a guy in his fifth year of football.

Two interceptions, one off a tipped ball and one as he was being hit != bad decision making.

OUHOMER
9/14/2006, 08:41 PM
Bleargh. Sometimes I wonder if anyone has actually watched PT play. They're recognizing his statistics now, but that's about it.

I don't think I've seen PT throw into coverage or make many bad decisions. In fact, his decision making seems to be excellent. Personally, I've been blown away by understanding of the game. The only thing off the mark are some of his throws, and that will equalize with playing time. He progresses through his reads like a seasoned veteran ... pretty typical of a guy in his fifth year of football.

Two interceptions, one off a tipped ball and one as he was being hit != bad decision making.

Not to mention the dropped balls

Skysooner
9/14/2006, 08:51 PM
Roughly equal? His numbers are better than Dixon's. Also, that bs about him making critical mistakes is ridiculous as well. Two of his interceptions came from being hit just as he threw.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/14/2006, 09:06 PM
I know this is OT but did anyone catch what Mark May and Lou Holtz' pick was between OU-UO ?

I am pretty sure they said at halftime of the WV game but I guess I missed it?

Ash
9/14/2006, 09:08 PM

I had have to agree with you completely. I know Stoops sometimes pours on the coach talk a bit when dealing with the media but he's said several times that he's been very pleased with PTs decision making, progression through reads, etc.

And the points others are making are on the mark too regarding ints coming when PT gets hit.

In the Washington game, he seemed verrry relaxed in the pocket - no happy feet, no panicking and hitting the first or second read then bailing. He's played pretty darn well with the exception of the placement of some his throws.

Ash
9/14/2006, 09:09 PM
I know this is OT but did anyone catch what Mark May and Lou Holtz' pick was between OU-UO ?

I was watching but didn't see them pick the game. They stopped with the Louiseville/Miami game (I think) then went to commercial. Guess the pick happened before I was watching or after the commercial break???

TrophyCollector
9/14/2006, 09:15 PM

No they didn't, they completely subbed OU-UO - they didn't cover the game at all! I watched the whole thing and waited (like a dumb ***). Just like last Saturday on ABC when about 100 teams were covered at half of tOSU - texass and we didn't get one single mention.

soonervet
9/14/2006, 09:45 PM
KOR Juaquin Gonzalez is explosive and he has flashed big-play ability. PR Reggie Smith is a big-play threat as well, as he has the second gear to outrun most defenders.

So can we call Jauquin "Gonzo" now.

poke4christ
9/14/2006, 09:58 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why is everybody calling Thompson ENA? Does it stand for something?

oupride
9/14/2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks Ike for the link!

Jewstin
9/14/2006, 10:10 PM
I love Juaquin Gonzalez!

Almost as much as I love Andre Peterson! (Hopefully someone caught Lee Corso saying that before the UAB game.)

They both pale in comparison to Patrick Thompson and Malcom Kellogg, though. These are some of the best players Brad Stoops has ever coached here at Okinawa.

sooneron
9/14/2006, 10:13 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why is everybody calling Thompson ENA? Does it stand for something?
Check the FAQ

poke4christ
9/14/2006, 10:20 PM
Check the FAQ

Thanx for the help

Ebony Ninja Assasin :cool:

Zach

sanantoniosooner
9/14/2006, 10:26 PM
Thanx for the help

Ebony Ninja Assasin :cool:

Zach
best nickname ever.....<cough cough>

Ash
9/14/2006, 10:31 PM
I love Juaquin Gonzalez!

Almost as much as I love Andre Peterson! (Hopefully someone caught Lee Corso saying that before the UAB game.)

They both pale in comparison to Patrick Thompson and Malcom Kellogg, though. These are some of the best players Brad Stoops has ever coached here at Okinawa.

Do you mean our QB Charles Thompson?

durn it, I forgot to throw in the smiley ===> ;)

oupride
9/14/2006, 10:48 PM
It occured to me that a "solid Oklahoma passing attack" is the last thing the rest of the country wants to hear! Now let's go get that next Championship! Boomer Sooner!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2006, 10:56 PM
heupel threw interceptions

poke4christ
9/14/2006, 10:59 PM
I love Juaquin Gonzalez!

ROFL!!

sooneron
9/14/2006, 11:01 PM
Nuh-UH!!!!:mad:

westcoast_sooner
9/14/2006, 11:10 PM
ENA's play has been really solid for the first two games. Glad to see he's getting a little respect. I was frankly surprised, given all the changes he's been through. But I think he's going to keep getting better. UO will be a big test - they have a pretty good D, the game is on the road, and it will likely be loud. But he's experienced and he'll be fine.

Boomer Sooner

jwlynn64
9/15/2006, 12:23 AM
Roughly equal? His numbers are better than Dixon's. Also, that bs about him making critical mistakes is ridiculous as well. Two of his interceptions came from being hit just as he threw.

You gotta love columnist that just look at stats and have no knowlegde about how they occured.

When I see stuff like that I always wonder how they can even go to work the next day.

These guys parents never taught him the concept of shame.:texan:

TrophyCollector
9/15/2006, 12:34 AM

Yea, but he did it on purpose just to give the D a false sense of confidence.

Doged
9/15/2006, 02:00 AM
Quack Attack, I haven't had a chance to watch UO play this year. Is that writeup as far off reality for the Ducks as it is for the Sooners? That's probably the worst "scouting report" start to finish I've ever seen, though a few facts managed to sneak in.

And yea, the Ducks better work special teams. I'd post the return stats for Gonzalez, but I can't find them anywhere. ;)

badger
9/15/2006, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry, I was distracted by the hideous picture next to the article so I didn't catch anymore than the first two paragraphs:
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/0914/ncf_g_dixon_195.jpg
zzz. going to bed.

Texas Golfer
9/15/2006, 03:27 AM
Our OL needs to be more disciplined. We had false starts by our OL on two of our first three plays and that was at home. It will be loud and hostile at Autzen. We have to do better if we expect to win.

And our defense has to tackle better than we have the first two games. If they don't, it will be a long and disappointing day.

sooneron
9/15/2006, 10:21 AM
Holtz just said that PT is a solid quarterback.

ultimatesooner1
9/15/2006, 10:29 AM
we have the most underrated qb in the nation

sooneron
9/15/2006, 10:34 AM
we have the most underrated qb in the nation
I reserve the right to claim that when we play a good secondary. I think Paul is good, heck, he's exceeded my expectations so far, but we need to play a good all around D to find out how good.

Landthief 1972
9/15/2006, 10:39 AM
They seemed to forget how deadly AD is when he gets outside. With weakened corners, expect a lot of pitchouts and flat passes to AD. One on one with a good ROV is probably making AD drool this week, especially if the WRs can give some decent blocks.

So basically, ENA has to play as well as last week, AD has to have success on the outside with solid blocking from the WRs, and the defense has got to get some push into the interior, or Dixon is going to pick us apart.

start8
9/15/2006, 10:44 AM
OK, I know what ENA stands for but how did it start?

soonerfootball
9/15/2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread (but I cannot create one of my own). BTW, I am impressed with ENA's play, and I think he will be productive verses Oregon.

Below is an Insider article on Espn.

Oklahoma Offense vs. Oregon DefenseOklahoma spreads the field with multiple-receiver sets and it will occasionally throw on first down to keep Oregon off balance. However, this is a run-heavy offense and don't expect that to change this week. With this game in Eugene, the Sooners don't want to ask too much of QB Paul Thompson, who was expected to line up at receiver and is making his first road start this year. The Ducks are expecting a steady diet of RB Adrian Peterson and they will frequently move ROV Patrick Chung into the box in an effort to slow him down. Chung lacks elite size but he is a powerful open field tackler that closes extremely well in pursuit, so that's a concern for Oklahoma. The key for the Sooners will be efficiency.
No. 15 Oklahoma at No. 18 OregonOklahoma vs. Oregon

When: Sept. 16, 3:30 p.m. ET (ABC)Where: Eugene, Ore.Preview: Oregon seeks revenge against Oklahoma

Oregon's linebackers are experienced and they rarely get caught out position so the Ducks generally do a good job of closing down cutback lanes. However, the interior defensive line lacks an elite run stuffer. As long as Peterson stays vertical and doesn't try to do too much he has the lower body strength to consistently pick up three-to-four yards per carry. That's good enough to keep drives alive and take pressure off Thompson. Pounding the ball between the tackles helps the offensive line as well. Though the offensive line is inexperienced it's talented and running between the tackles simplifies blocking angles making it easier for them to get into position. That being said, one area of concern about the offensive line is discipline. Last week two offensive linemen committed false start penalties on Oklahoma's opening drive and it's going to be a lot louder in Eugene. The offensive line cannot continue to make these mistakes because it forces Thompson to throw downfield more often.

Besides establishing the run, Sooners' offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson will try to help Thompson by running bootlegs and sprint outs. Thompson is mobile and he can be accurate when throwing on the run but he doesn't always make great decisions under pressure and he has thrown three interceptions thus far. Moving him makes it more difficult for Oregon to get to him and simplifies his reads by effectively cutting the field in half. Perhaps even more importantly, it gives him the option to run and he is certainly capable of taking advantage of those opportunities. There is also reason to believe Thompson will have a strong day, as he will be working against a Ducks' secondary that will be asked to help out in support and is suspect at corner. With WR's Juaquin Iglesias, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Strong creating quality separation the margin of error is greater for Thompson because he isn't throwing into tight spaces nearly as much.

Oregon Offense vs. Oklahoma DefenseRB Jonathan Stewart injured his ankle in the season opener and he carried the ball just once last week, but he is expected to play versus Oklahoma. If he can't go or the injury limits him, Jeremiah Johnson will get the bulk of the carries. Johnson did a good job of filling in last week but he lacks the explosiveness that a healthy Stewart provides this offense. The important point to make here is it won't matter which back gets the ball if Oklahoma's front seven doesn't start living up to expectations and the tackling doesn't improve. While Oregon's offensive line doesn't always get great push it is experienced and it gets into good position. As a result, the Sooners have to do a much better job of shedding blocks and locating the ball carrier. In addition, Stewart and Johnson are both balanced runners that run with good power. If Oklahoma's linebackers and safeties don't start squaring their shoulders to the ball carrier and wrapping up, both backs are capable of picking up ample yards after contact.

The front four's inability to get to the quarterback has been almost as disappointing as its inability to stop the run and it's unlikely that changes this week. First off, as well as the offensive line drive blocks it is at its best when QB Dennis Dixon drops back. Secondly, Dixon has excellent pocket presence and he excels at buying himself time. Thirdly, is the Duck's spread scheme. While WR Garren Strong sustained a lower leg injury last week and he could be limited this week, Oregon's receiving corps is deep without him in the lineup. That doesn't bode well for the Sooners because they don't have the depth at corner to matchup. Keeping that in mind, the Ducks' multiple-receiver sets create favorable single coverage matchups on the outside and that allows Dixon to get rid of the ball quickly. It's also worth noting that a playmaker has yet to emerge in Oklahoma's secondary and Dixon has done an excellent job of protecting the football thus far.

Special TeamsOklahoma PK Garrett Hartley has connected on all four of his field goal attempts including three last week. He is showing good accuracy as well as range and appears to have bounced back from a disappointing 2005 season. There's no reason to believe he won't take advantage of his opportunities to put points on the board. P Michael Cohen has a powerful leg and he generally puts good hang time on his kicks. KOR Juaquin Gonzalez is explosive and he has flashed big-play ability. PR Reggie Smith is a big-play threat as well, as he has the second gear to outrun most defenders.
Oregon PK Paul Martinez has connected on three of his four field goal attempts and his only miss resulted from a block last week. While the Ducks have to do a better job of protecting him, Martinez is one of the best in the nation. It's also worth noting Oregon faked a field goal and ran for a touchdown because the Sooners must stay focused and disciplined when Martinez trots onto the field. P Matt Dragich possesses excellent range and he does a good job of giving his cover team time to get downfield by putting a lot of air under his kicks. PR Jeremiah Johnson lacks elite speed but he is elusive and he reads his blocks well. KOR Andiel Brown reaches his top speed quickly and he is elusive.

Matchups• Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson vs. Oregon ROV Patrick Chung• Oklahoma ROG Brandon Walker vs. Oregon DT Cole Linehan• Oregon LOT Max Unger vs. Oklahoma DE C.J. Ah You

Scouts' EdgeOklahoma will keep this game close by handing the ball off to Peterson early and often but it won't be enough for the Sooners to get the win. While Peterson will help keep the chains moving, Oregon's run defense is strong enough to force Oklahoma to convert several third-and-long situations. Thompson will make some big plays but he will also make some critical mistakes that end in stalled drives and/or turnovers. Offensively, Oregon will keep the Sooners off balance with a quality mix of run and pass. The Ducks' backs should be productive enough to take pressure of Dixon and set up the play action package. Dixon will continue to do what he has done thus far, which is spread the ball around and take what the defense gives him. In addition, it's tough to overrate the part Oregon's offensive line will play in this game. It may not be pretty or dominant but the front five will create seams for the backs and make Dixon feel confident in the pocket. The Ducks simply have too much offensive firepower at home in this one.

Prediction: Ducks 24, Sooners 20

KOR Juaquin Gonzalez is explosive and he has flashed big-play ability.
Since when do we have a kick returner named Juaquin Gonzalez? Juaquin Iglesias maybe...not Gonzalez..How much could this person possibly know? It does seem like a decent assesment but to say our secondary doesn't have a playmaker?...I guess we forgot about Reggie Smith. You look at the key Matchups• Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson vs. Oregon ROV Patrick Chung• Oklahoma ROG Brandon Walker vs. Oregon DT Cole Linehan• Oregon LOT Max Unger vs. Oklahoma DE C.J. Ah You. I think Oklahoma wins all of those Peterson won't have a problem, Ah You didn't last year, Walker is a great o-line guy. I expect the secondary to step up. The only question will still be tackling and the d-line. OU 24 -Oregon 17. It will be close.

A-M
9/15/2006, 11:34 AM

On ESPN this am, May picked UO and then Holtz' picked OU to win. So it was a split decission.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/15/2006, 11:51 AM

Yes, it was all part of his evil plan.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/15/2006, 11:54 AM
I just want to add that WR Fred Strong can bench 315lbs, so take that Oregon corner bitches.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/15/2006, 11:54 AM
God, I make so much sense, it's like a gift from Gord.

r5TPsooner
9/15/2006, 12:33 PM

True. If Paul has a good game and leads us to victory, all of the naysayers will be put to rest.

Personally, I think he has done a solid job under all of the existing sets of circumstances.

mOUse
9/15/2006, 02:08 PM
"Thompson is mobile and he can be accurate when throwing on the run but he doesn't always make great decisions under pressure and he has thrown three interceptions thus far."

I believe those 3 were tips and knock downs from behind, not PT's decision making.
That is all ...Quacker!