PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pic

SCOUT
9/14/2006, 03:15 PM
I was looking through some pictures I took a last November when I was touring the Switzer Center/Locker Rooms etc. I was looking for the "Play Like A Champion" picture for another thread.

I came across one I had forgotten about. In one of the display cases they have a helmet that looks like it is at least from the 50's. I thought the name written on the inside was interesting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/scout71/OUTripNov0553.jpg

JonnyRed
9/14/2006, 03:22 PM
ha - that is what Sam Houston uses!

Europasooner
9/14/2006, 03:28 PM
The helmet in the photos is either a McGregor or a Bill Kelly helmet which bought out McGregor and it would be from the 70's. This was actually a practice helmet. During the 70s, the Sooners had practice and game helmets. The practice helmets were like this one and were externally padded. It was thought to hold down concussions and other injuries, as well. Steve Rhodes, a Sooner WR, in that era who had shown a propensity for concussions, actually wore a game helmet with the external padding. His OU decal was tiny because it was only affixed to the plastic shell and not the external padding.

SCOUT
9/14/2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the decade correction.

Landthief 1972
9/14/2006, 05:28 PM
The helmet in the photos is either a McGregor or a Bill Kelly helmet which bought out McGregor and it would be from the 70's. This was actually a practice helmet. During the 70s, the Sooners had practice and game helmets. The practice helmets were like this one and were externally padded. It was thought to hold down concussions and other injuries, as well. Steve Rhodes, a Sooner WR, in that era who had shown a propensity for concussions, actually wore a game helmet with the external padding. His OU decal was tiny because it was only affixed to the plastic shell and not the external padding.

You must be a lot of fun at Trivial Pursuit parties. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2006, 05:30 PM
why do i get the feeling i'm the only one who doesn't think that helmet says "bomar"

Jimminy Crimson
9/14/2006, 05:34 PM
why do i get the feeling i'm the only one who doesn't think that helmet says "bomar"

Schwing! ;)

boomrsoonr
9/14/2006, 05:56 PM
I remember those external padding helmets. I just thought they were ear warmers.

boomrsoonr
9/14/2006, 05:56 PM
Schwing! ;)

Hey, that's my old high school band director's name. :confused:

RedstickSooner
9/14/2006, 06:45 PM
Er, I've wondered for a while about external padding -- seems like padding helmets externally would cut down on a *bunch* of injuries, as well as meaning we could do away with penalties related to using the helmet as a weapon.

How come they haven't made external padding mandatory? Is it purely because it's so silly looking?

boomrsoonr
9/14/2006, 06:48 PM
Er, I've wondered for a while about external padding -- seems like padding helmets externally would cut down on a *bunch* of injuries, as well as meaning we could do away with penalties related to using the helmet as a weapon.

How come they haven't made external padding mandatory? Is it purely because it's so silly looking?

IF they ever used them, I'd hope they wouldn't slacken the head to head penalties. Neck injuries would still occur.

4everasooner
9/14/2006, 10:35 PM
What about the name?

OKC-SLC
9/14/2006, 11:20 PM
you're not.