PDA

View Full Version : Bud Wilkinson- The Lost Interviews, Part One

The VIIIth
9/14/2006, 12:46 PM
My apologies in advance if this has been posted, I do not remember seeing it. I am also unsure of who to credit, but it is a great, great read.

viii

Bud Wilkinson - the 'Lost Interview' Part I

In late 1982, longtime Georgia Bulldog radio commentator and college sports connoisseur Loran Smith began working on his book, "Fifty Years on the Fifty, the Orange Bowl Story." As part of his research, he sat down with former Oklahoma coach Bud Wilkinson at the Coaches Hall of Fame Football Clinic in Atlanta, on February 26, 1983.

"I had known Bud for many years before that," Smith recalled recently from his Athens, Georgia home. "I had the pleasure of meeting him for the first time in 1965 when he and Jim Simpson came to Athens to broadcast the Alabama - Georgia game for ABC. At the time, I was an intern in the Georgia SID office and my job was to assist Bud and Jim in any way that I could."

"I must have made a favorable impression, because Coach Wilkinson apparently never forgot me after that and always returned my calls and gave me the same kind of respect that he would a journalist with the New York Times or any other famous writer or celebrity. The thing I most remember about him was that he was so courteous and accommodating, added to of the fact that he spoke in such an articulate manner, and in complete sentences as well."

Smith used a few excerpts from the interview in the Orange Bowl book, but afterward the tape feel into a drawer full of interviews with other sports greats and was somewhat forgotten for 23 years until Smith came across it earlier this year. Smith forwarded it to Jakie Sandefer, who played for Wilkinson at OU in 1956 - 1958, and Sandefer in turn, shared it with OU Insider.com and Sooners Illustrated.

Although the purpose of the interview was Wilkinson's history with the Orange Bowl, as he had coached Oklahoma in five appearances, (remarkable in an era where the Big 8 conference champion was prohibited from participating in back to back Orange Bowls); however, because it occurred on February 26, just one month after the death of legendary coach Bear Bryant, who, like Wilkinson, dominated college football in the 50's and 60's.

The Interview - February 26, 1983 Part I:

Smith: Paul 'Bear' Bryant passed away a few weeks ago, what was your opinion of Coach Bryant and what kind of relationship did you have with him?

"He was obviously the longest successful coaches of the day and I got to know Bear very, very well. We had met casually in the Navy, and we played in the Sugar Bowl game, January 1, 1951. That was after the 1951 season and Bear was at Kentucky and I was at Oklahoma.

"From playing each other in that game, and we were relatively of the same age, we were playing better offense than they were and they were playing better defense than we were. So for about the next six or seven years - Bear and I, either the last week in July or the first week of Augusta, (Masters - early April), would go to a mutually convenient town, might be Memphis, or Dallas, or somewhere. We'd get a three room hotel suite, two bedrooms and a living room with a blackboard, and we'd talk football for four or five days. We did that for six years, so obviously, we both thought we were getting some value from it - and it was fun too. We had a lot of good social times."

Smith: You took over at Oklahoma when Jim Tatum left after the Gator Bowl win in 1946. Why did he leave?

"Curley Bird (University of Maryland President) was a very persuasive guy, and Jim wasn't sure that we would be able to keep all the people that he recruited from Jacksonville Naval Air Station - as a matter of fact, we didn't. We lost two or three guys that were awfully good who went to the new pro league.

"I don't know how confidant he was with what could happen at Oklahoma, but more important, he wanted to get back to North Carolina. He really had roots, more than most people ever dream of having and he thought, in view of the fact that he would be in total control at Maryland, in addition to building a new stadium and everything else, and Curly Bird had been a football coach, so he would be dealing with a college president who understood what the problems were. Curley just gave him a better deal than Oklahoma and brought him closer to North Carolina.

Smith: What attracted you to the Oklahoma job?

"My alternative was to go to Maryland with him, or become head coach at Oklahoma. I was 30 years old and didn't have much of a choice. There's one problem about college coaching and it's almost as true as pro, then there were probably more good jobs than there are now.

"By that, I mean how much do you give away before the coaching begins? Right now, I can name maybe 12 schools where you ought to be able to do it. Penn State and Pitt; Georgia maybe. Tennessee is kind of like Georgia. Alabama can, at least when Bear was there. Texas can, Oklahoma can. Nebraska can. Southern California can. UCLA can. What can a coach normally expect in the way of material support and the tradition that is there?

"Back in my beginning years, there were maybe 30 schools that had an equal chance to win. SMU and TCU could play well in those days. The only concern I had was I knew we were going to lose those kids and when I was appointed with the Oklahoma supporters really felt quite vocally that I was to young to coach. Fine, I was going to be a nice assistant coach, but I really didn't have quite the background to be a head coach.

"We won our first game against Detroit University and we lose to Texas. Anyway, we play Missouri and we have lost two, won four and tied one. That was the critical game, if we lose this one we're losing the conference championship, and if we ever get our team back together, and the whole thing. If there's any one game in my coaching background that sort of changed the numbers - momentarily at least, it was this game.

"We were favored to win (in Columbia). It's a gray damp day. Royal kicks the ball out of bounds. He kicks it out of bounds three straight times inside the five yard line and the fumble the ball the third time and we score (a touchdown), breaking a very tight game, and win 21 - 12. Then we go on and win the rest of our games. Next year, we get it rolling and we're a pretty good football team from that time on. But that one game we could have lost as well as won."

Smith: Harold Keith says you were a 'shoo-in' when Tatum left; a lot of people found you very attractive when Tatum first brought you in on his interview for the job, and that some were interested in hiring you at that point."

"I think that a lot of that is rumor and those kinds of things that are inevitable around athletics. I don't . . . "

Smith: He said there was no contest as far as who was getting the job.

"That's probably correct, but that didn't change the fundamental that I was talking about. We wind up 2-2-1 after we'd gone to the Gator Bowl the previous season ('46), which was the first bowl game in 8 years (and the second in school history), and there's the inevitable grumbling that takes place out there. They weren't going to give me three years to develop as a coach.

Smith: What was your recruiting situation like back then? Could you win with Oklahoma boys?

"That's something that probably is more misunderstood than anything about my coaching. If you go over our rosters at Oklahoma, you will have to hunt hard to find anybody that played for us who grew up over 300 miles from Norman, Oklahoma.

"We had a hypothetical 300 mile arc that we used to swing. We really couldn't touch people in Kansas very well. But the Texas panhandle, (Texas Tech was not in the southwest Conference), we were the closest major school. We had a line from Dallas to Midland, if a kid lived north of that line we had a good shot at him.

"But they were all Texas and Oklahoma boys, and all from that small portion of Texas. Buddy Leake happened to come from Memphis. His father wanted him to come to Oklahoma. That's the only name I can think of right now that didn't come from that area. There had to be some others, but this was really a home grown group. I was all for that because these kids had grown up reading about (Oklahoma football) and this was the culmination of a boy's ambition. That's the reason they tried do hard. That's paramount to their playing very well.

"In the last two years that I coached, I think my inability to recognize how the world had changed hurt us because we had a good reputation, I think, to recruit on a semi-national basis. It was the jet airplane that changed things."

"Lou Alcindor, (who is now Kareem Abdul Jabar), would have never gotten west of Pittsburgh before the days of jet air travel. No way. Now with the jet, anybody is within four and a half hours of your campus, no matter where they are. And everybody knows where the good players are.

"There's no question where the good players are, like Herschel (Walker). I remember (UCLA coach) Terry Donahue, this was two years ago, Herschel's freshman year, we had UCLA and Arizona State for our first ESPN game.

"The day before the game I'm talking with Terry in his suite. They'd been practicing, and we're trying to get filled in on what they're going to do and so forth. All the coaches are very cooperative. Somehow, Herschel came up in the conversation and Terry said. 'We tried harder to get Herschel than anybody we've ever worked on. We new there was no possible way he would ever attend UCLA, but we also knew if he went to Southern California, which he might, it was over for everybody for four years. With the supporting talent that USC has, you put Herschel in there and that's it. It's four years where they're going to dominate so badly. We spent a lot of money and we accomplished our objective. He didn't go to UCLA, and he didn't go to USC.'

Smith: Oklahoma, at that time, was a sparsely populated state - where did this great interest in football come from?

"One of the amazing things about Oklahoma, it's more apparent in baseball than it is in football because you don't have that many people going into pro football, didn't during those years anyway, but if you take a look at the big league baseball rosters and the great players that came from Oklahoma and relate it to the population of Oklahoma, it's frightening. It really is. It's so disproportionate that you can't believe it.

"Mickey Mantle, the Warner brothers, Johnny Bench, my good friend 'the Indian' Allie Reynolds, it goes on and on. It really was a product at that point in time, where there's not much else going on in Oklahoma. The circumstance in addition to the kids just growing up, that's just something you do - compete in athletics.

"There were a lot of towns in Oklahoma that had exceptional high school coaches. You hadn't gotten into where they are now in some of the cities. It's just the way administration is handled - where the coach is basically a teacher and the coach gets a small stipend for coaching the football team. It's so small that unless he's highly energized, he's not going to really give it his best shot. AT that time you had people that were coaches that were hired to coach. Whatever else they did at the school was secondary. As a result, you had great motivation.

"This was one of the more amazing things that I know of getting back to athletic ability. Hollis Oklahoma is a town of 3500 people. They had a coach named Joe Bailey Metcalf. Our '49 team that won a national championship, we had 3 of the starting 11 from Hollis. Darrell Royal, Leon Heath and the best tackle I ever saw named Willie Manley, and we had a back-up tackle. Four kids in our top 22 from Hollis. Muskogee was another town - that's where (Eddie) Crowder's from. But that was the pattern all over the state. You just had more good athletes that you expect to have. They weren't big - there wasn't anybody big in those days by today's standards - at all.

Smith: The war years, when you, Jim Tatum and Don Faurot were coaching together, you developed the Split-'T' - How did that happen?

"We were assigned to Iowa Pre-Flight, as a part of the 'B-5' program. Bernie Bierman, (Bud's former coach at Minnesota), had been the coach there the year before and then moved on. Tom Hamilton had sold Admiral Radford on the B-5 program. It was a totally different concept. The theory behind 'B-5' was that you're going to spend an awful lot of money training a naval aviator and if the guy wasn't competitive and wouldn't fight when he was out there in his plane you had wasted your money. So we should have a program where we find out who's a competitor before we start spending money to teach them to fly.

"Those kids all wanted to be naval aviators, so we had our pick of the best kids - college, pro athletes, high school athletes. These were the cadets coming through the pre-flight program. It was total military, but the classwork consisted of competitive athletics. They took boxing, wrestling and swimming - everybody had to do that. Soccer, football, baseball, the whole thing.

The VIIIth
9/14/2006, 12:47 PM
"They would go to four hours of class in the morning in those various sports and get graded on their progress. Everything was 'march to' someplace. Then a drill in the afternoon and three academic courses. And when the class day was over, you went to your battalion teams and were in a competitive athletic program. Then at night you studied - toughest physical program that will ever happen. It was a 12 week program. We lost a battalion every two weeks and got a new battalion every two weeks. Jim Tatum, Don Faurot, and a couple of others, including Moon Mullins, were the (football) coaches, with Faurot really being totally in charge.

"In our pre-season planning we were going to use the split-T as Don had used it at Columbia, which is a preliminary (snap) formation, like the old Notre Dame box, which is where he got the idea. All the Notre Dame teams used to line up in the 'T' - but then shift into the Notre Dame box. About one out of every five plays they'd let them play out of the 'T' - so you had to be set for the 'T' and then move everybody.

"That was our preliminary plan going into the season. But we'd (Tatum and Wilkinson) been teaching 'Split - T' prior to our arrival there. I can tell you ahead of time that Don's recollection of this is not like mine. He's going to be very jealous - he knew the 'Split-T' all the way and - I don't want to get into an argument with him - so whatever he says is true.

(Editor's note: Faurot had claimed to be the originator of the 'Split-T' offense, Wilkinson obviously thought differently. Some believed that Faurot took credit because he was technically the 'head coach at Iowa Pre-Flight when Tatum and Wilkinson arrived with the lethal adaptation of the Notre Dame 'T'. Faurot's claim would send Bud into a controlled burn whenever it was mentioned).

"But they'd been playing 'Single Wing in the football classes and in the competitive battalion football games and they'd never make a down. You can't run a 'Single Wing' with guys that don't know how to play and make any yardage. So before we start our varsity practice we're getting pretty intrigued by this 'Split-T' (formation) because we're running up and down the field.

"Well we start the season, we've got our game plans, but then we suddenly realize that every two weeks we're going to lose one sixth of our team. But we had the great luxury of having about 15 officers who had been pro football players and we knew they were going to be there- but we lose one sixth of the cadets that starts the season is going to end the season. So we never got around to le wing. The more we worked with the Split-T the more we realized that it was a total offense. You don't have many plays, but you don't need many."

Smith: He introduced you to the 'Spilt-T'?

"Everything in football is a mutation of something. Going back to Notre Dame's 'T' - when the backfield shifted to the box, both ends split out about a yard and a half. So you had six people shift, not just four backs. Everybody's always overlooked that the ends shifted.

Smith: What purpose did that serve?

"They were doing that in order to get a better blocking angle on the defensive tackle, and to get downfield quickly on the pass. If the tackle moved out with them, it opened up the inside. Same theory as the 'Split-T'. What we had done essentially, was to create that same circumstance all across the line, and then never take the ball away from the line of scrimmage unless you had to toss it.

"Our quarterback, going down the line of scrimmage, we taught him to hand off the ball to the halfback where our tackle had been lined up. He's going to come off the ball and knock someone out of there - so the handoff is maybe half a yard beyond the line of scrimmage."

Smith: You're handing off in the line?

"Yes. And hitting it as fast as you possibly can. Our halfback is in a sprinters stance coming straight ahead. He's handicapped a little going away from the handoff, well that's fine. We've just got to get him in there quickly.

"Basically, if the (defense) does not split out with you, you have a blocking angle on everybody on the outside. So they are going to have to split out with you, and all you've got to do is keep them is going to be there.

"What really happened early on, is that the better the football player, the more he was burned by it because he's coming faster to the tackle. And the halfback is watching the defensive tackle, he's not watching the block, and he just runs away from the tackle.

"When you ask if it would work today - the thing that has changed the game so immensely, is (the speed of the defenses). The offense has to be able to make use of the entire field sideline to sideline, as defenses have the ability now to react quickly. If you don't have a receiver detached, the support is too quick. But you detach some people who can catch some balls, by the time you run a sideline pattern, you're hardly near the sideline, that's an 8 count pattern. If the guy lines up as a flanker, that's a 3 count pattern. I don't know if you could line up on your 20 yard line like we used to in the 'Split-T' and assume the support without anybody detached."

Smith: What was the key to it - quarterback?

"Line takeoff was the key. If you watch a good wishbone team, it's just like the 'Split-T.' Yeoman at Houston was the first to use the triple option. We used to fiddle around trying to option the handoff every year in spring practice, but we were so in the line of scrimmage and we were moving so fast that we really couldn't read what was happening beyond where we were on the handoff. But line takeoff is the key."

Smith: Defensive recognition; how long did it take for defenses to get where they could begin to get some confidence against it?

"I'd say '58 - '59, something like that. There were eight people that were your immediate defenders when playing the 'Split-T.' You had six men on the line of scrimmage and two linebackers and three in the defensive secondary."

"If I ever made any contribution to football, it was the 'Oklahoma' 5-2-4 defense, or whatever term you want to give it. We did this simply because we were playing a 'Split-T' and we needed to find a way to stop the thing. Missouri was playing it, and (at the time), they were our toughest opponent.

"The theory was simple: you only had one player who had to protect two sides and that was the nose guard. In those days it was a tackle, an end and a cornerback. Your defensive tackle never lets the offensive tackle block him 'in.' If he blocks him out, that's dandy. Same thing is true of the end - he never gets blocked 'in.' The linebacker, who's totally reading the guard now, never lets the guard take him in. So if your nose guard is fast, they may beat him on one side or another. But there's nobody else who's going to be beat, except on the side where you want him to be beat. All the support on both sides can fall back in and that's really the theory. It's simple and it works."

Smith: The whole time you were teaching the Split-T you were trying to figure out how to stop it?

"It's not quite planned; it's something you evolve into. To get back to the mutation thing, when I was playing the ball wasn't thrown as much, it was a 7-2-2 defense. Seven guys on the line, two linebackers, and two safeties. Theoretically the receivers would be covered by the safety men, and the defensive ends could go if the halfback came at them, and if not the linebackers would cover them. What we did is drop the '7' out of the box by taking the two ends and making them cornerbacks.

Smith: Did you run the 'Spilt-T' up until your retirement?

"No, we became a wingback 'split-T' team. Getting back to recruiting, we did not do a very good job. I mentioned that there were surprisingly many very good players in that small geographic area. Well, for a few years there were not. But we did, in 1963, have a very good football team again, which was my last year of coaching.

"We basically were a team that had an 'open' side and a 'wingback' side. We were running kind of a fullback belly option to that side and a 'Split-T' option to the other side. We had broken up the tight formation two or three years earlier.

"When I say this people don't believe it, but all the time we were running the 'Split-T' we were always talked about as a team that never threw the ball. But about 45% of our plays called for passes, but they were all option to pass or run. Half the time or more, the option to run was open and it was clearly better to run than pass. Statistics never show what the options were, only what happened, We were a much more pass oriented team than people give us credit for."

Smith: Did you look for a quarterback who could throw?

"No, because the quarterback (at the line of scrimmage), was not in the best position to throw. It was more important to have halfbacks that could throw. But if we did have a quarterback who could throw, we had a lot of play action and roll out where they had the option to pass or run. We generally moved the ball on the ground so well that we didn't have to throw it that much.

"Another factor was that when I first came to Oklahoma, we had both ends of the stadium that were 'open' and after a year or so, one end. The wind blows in the Midwest and Kansas State and Iowa State were often like wind tunnels. So if you're counting on a drop back passing game, there are just some days when you're going to play and it's just not possible.?

Smith: What sold you on the 'Split-T' other than the things we've talked about?

"When I was at Minnesota we were a much better coached team than most of the people we played. We were a singe wing team, but we played out of six different formations that we shifted into. Coach Bierman was very innovative. For example, we played in 1939 with the center facing the backfield. It was kind of a 'T' formation, but this allowed the center to 'snap' the ball accurately at angles a normal center could not do. It was very innovative, and very successful. It was ruled out the following year after Amos Alozo Stagg said it was 'unsportsmanlike' not to face your opponent.

"So I had seen some variations in football. But it was fairly early on, perhaps at Iowa Pre-Flight or at Oklahoma, that I suddenly realized that all of the offensive formations that I knew anything about put you in a fixed position. If the guy you're lined up against is a better athlete than you are, if he's bigger, faster or tougher, you're going to find that out in about eight to ten minutes. And the most common reaction is 'this ain't for me baby. I don't want it - I've got the dance to go to tonight' or however you care to explain it.

"In the Split-T, the only position that is fixed is the center. Everybody else can have the attitude of: 'That S.O.B. may be bigger than I am, he may be faster, but he's not as smart.' So, to summarize, you never put a player in a position where he can't outsmart a superior athlete. That's what sold me on the offense.

"I don't know whether other coaches that used the 'Split-T' ever thought about it that way, but that's what we tried to sell our players on over and over and over again. "We may not be as good as they are, but we're smarter and we’re in better condition."

Next week: The Lost Wilkinson interview Part II:

Wilkinson had it rolling after that first year and would coach the Sooners to their first national championship in 1950. After the 1953 season, Oklahoma, ranked No 4, would face Maryland, who had just been named regular season National Champions. The Terps were coached by former Sooner head coach Jim Tatum. Bud tells about the first Orange Bowl that saw one platoon football and how the bowl games impacted college football in the 1950's. Bud also tells why he practiced for bowl games with 13 men on defense.

Blues1
9/14/2006, 02:26 PM
Great Information...Love this kind of stuff....Keep it Coming and Rockin'

sooneron
9/14/2006, 05:20 PM
Great stuff!

OUGreg723
9/14/2006, 06:32 PM
I like how Bud states that our 1949 team won the national championship. I wish we were recognized for that one..

Egeo
9/14/2006, 10:38 PM
how did you find those?

sooneron
9/25/2006, 09:55 AM
When do we get part two!!!??!???

Fraggle145
11/1/2006, 02:52 AM
a little late, but great stuff

SoonerNAustin
11/1/2006, 08:48 AM
It was from OU Insider.

crimson&cream
11/1/2006, 09:17 AM
When do we get part two!!!??!???
I think it comes out in Nov. Sooners Ill as this part is in Oct's.