PDA

View Full Version : Air America radio to file Chapter 11

royalfan5
9/14/2006, 12:41 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/13/air-america-bankruptcy

I still believe that any and all talk radio is worthless. Reading is where it's at.

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 12:42 PM
Rush - 1
Franken - 0

mdklatt
9/14/2006, 12:59 PM
Rush - 1
Franken - 0

Number of drug convictions?

TUSooner
9/14/2006, 01:02 PM
I really REALLY hate even to appear to encourage those who see everything in cartoon figures of black (God-&-America-hating libz and dims) and white (holy, righteous, patriotic true and infallible Conservative Republicans). But this just shows that the "mainstream" national Democratic party and its friends are not in touch with the majority of people in this country, even those who are not "holy, righteous, patriotic, true and infallible Conservative Republicans." That's why I fear we will have another lousy presidential choice between Hillary Lenin Rodham Clinton and a Republican neo-fascist to be named later.

usmc-sooner
9/14/2006, 01:05 PM
I really REALLY hate even to appear to encourage those who see everything in cartoon figures of black (God-&-America-hating libz and dims) and white (holy, righteous, patriotic true and infallible Conservative Republicans). But this just shows that the "mainstream" national Democratic party and its friends are not in touch with the majority of people in this country, even those who are not "holy, righteous, patriotic, true and infallible Conservative Republicans." That's why I fear we will have another lousy presidential choice between Hillary Lenin Rodham Clinton and a Republican neo-fascist to be named later.

I'll take the neo-fascist :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/14/2006, 01:05 PM
The new progressive network is failing because the commentators are so brilliant that nobody can comprehend what they say. Hence, the lack of listeners.

BeetDigger
9/14/2006, 01:34 PM
Number of drug convictions?

Brain cells.

9/14/2006, 01:39 PM
I'll agree with TU on this one in that no true, worthy leader candidate has been presented as of yet.

And in a time, when we most need a leader, regardless of party, who will be there?

OklahomaTuba
9/14/2006, 02:59 PM
Anyone ever listen to it?

I did on XM for a little bit. Its really sad, depressing, angry moon bat radio.

Its no wonder it doesn't appeal to the main stream democrats or liberals, as it appeals to the fringe "progressive" lunatics on the left, like the types that stand at ground zero on 9-11 demanding Bush be investigated for blowing the towers up.

They also have lots of venom targeted towards people who are Christians and Jews it seems. Again, 80%+ of the country is Christian or Jewish, so that sure doesn't help when dealing with mass media. Might work better if they just stuck to broadcasing in San Francisco and Berkley.

BTW, Did they ever pay back the orphanage they "borrowed" the money from?

OklahomaTuba
9/14/2006, 03:00 PM
And in a time, when we most need a leader, regardless of party, who will be there?

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

;)

Ike
9/14/2006, 03:34 PM
I'll agree with TU on this one in that no true, worthy leader candidate has been presented as of yet.

The guy (or gal) who manages to give us the best soundbytes...thats who. Whoever it is that can get up in front of a camera and say " I have a plan to eradicate the terroristas within 5 years and at the same time maintain America's status as a country to be respected within the world community." and make it sound believable.

Actually, I take that back....we won't even be that lucky. The winner will be whoever wins the spin war on current hot button issues. These days we seem to only ask our leaders to be pro-this or anti-that and never consider that we might actually want our leaders to think about the issues before them and discuss and collaborate with both their friends and opponents to work out the best possible solution based on all the facts rather than just stick to boiler plate answers dictated by party leaders. We no longer (of course, I'm not certain that we ever did) elect people based upon their capacity to find good solutions to difficult problems. Maybe its time that we demand that our leaders give us more than just soundbites and boilerplate responses. But as long as we expect our leaders to be pro-this or anti-that, we're never going to get that. Instead we'll get leaders that do a good job of articulating the same arguments everyone else has been raising to be pro-this or anti-that, and we'll wind up picking them based upon which one said the thing we already want them to say best.

9/14/2006, 03:46 PM
McCain will run as an independent, after losing the repub nomination, and throw the presidency to the rug-chewers.

9/14/2006, 03:47 PM
So we are victims of our own invention?

Sadly so.

We are in real need of a world leader. Unfortunately, we'll grant the position to the one who has the most shine.

I usually refrain from all things political here on the SO, but the importance of the upcoming elections is very scary; party affiliation be damned.

9/14/2006, 03:50 PM
Oh, and back to topic, I don't know anyone who listens to "progressive" radio. I only know a few people who listen to the other stuff.

And paying for radio is something I won't do.

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 03:51 PM
Rush lost his mind years ago, but I fail to see how any non-pillow biter can stomach Al Franken. He was especially sissy during the verbal beatdown he got a while back from Bill O'Reilly.

crawfish
9/14/2006, 03:53 PM
Funny how overtly liberal media outlets seem to always have money problems (Salon, etc).

9/14/2006, 04:01 PM
Rush lost his mind years agoPlease tell us more about this.

Ike
9/14/2006, 04:15 PM
So we are victims of our own invention?

Sadly so.

We are in real need of a world leader. Unfortunately, we'll grant the position to the one who has the most shine.

I usually refrain from all things political here on the SO, but the importance of the upcoming elections is very scary; party affiliation be damned.

Thats pretty much spot on. Our politicians are getting to the point where they are like a piece of computer code. They say exactly what we want them say. Nothing more, nothing less. If we don't ask them to give us any proof of independent and original thought, we aren't going to get it from them. The way we are going we might as well just send robots to washington. The nice thing there is that they don't require a salary or heath insurance.

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 04:18 PM
The problem with US politics right now is that extremists (left wing or right wing) get elected far more than moderates. I believe 80% of the public is moderate somewhere in the middle. However, the big campaign donors (and elderly voters) prefer those who tow the party line on every issue. Vince Orza knows how hard it is to get elected as a moderate.

9/14/2006, 04:25 PM
Dude we have freedom-lovers and nanny-staters. The moderates don't appeal to either one of those extremes. Hence, they don't win elections. In addition, they oftentimes are just goofy on one issue or another, such as McCain's campaign finance reform law that violates ths first amendment.

Ike
9/14/2006, 04:31 PM
The problem with US politics right now is that extremists (left wing or right wing) get elected far more than moderates. I believe 80% of the public is moderate somewhere in the middle. However, the big campaign donors (and elderly voters) prefer those who tow the party line on every issue. Vince Orza knows how hard it is to get elected as a moderate.

It goes right along with what I am talking about in previous posts. We ask our politicians to be pro-this or anti-that. Moderates typically see the ideal solution as being somewhere in the middle of being hardcore pro-this or anti-that. Just as an example, take the issue of unions. The hardline extreme left position is that unions are always good and should be made more powerful. The hardline extreme right position is that unions get in the way of the market and should be elliminated. The moderate typically believes that while unions do get in the way, they are a nessecary force to make sure the working man does not get screwed. He also believes that unions should not be allowed to become so powerful that the markets can no longer function as they should. While I would argue that this is closer to the position that most americans hold, we make it difficult for someone holding such a position to get elected. Because his opponents on the left will run ads saying "Joe Moderate is Anti-Union, you should elect Bill Lefty who will make sure you keep your job!" and his opponents on the right will run ads which say "Joe Moderate is too pro union. You should elect Frank Righty who will fight to end union meddling" or something along those lines. So the picture that the average voter gets is that either way, Joe Moderate is bad. And poor joe moderate won't get any money to run couter ads because the unions will give all their money to Bill Lefty who will make sure they get as powerful as they can, and the business leaders will give their money to Frank Righty who will try to end union influence...and suddenly there is no one left to give money to a candidate who endorses a more sensible solution.

BigRedJed
9/14/2006, 04:37 PM
I'd still hit Janeane Garofalo.

Neg away.

Taxman71
9/14/2006, 05:12 PM
It goes right along with what I am talking about in previous posts. We ask our politicians to be pro-this or anti-that. Moderates typically see the ideal solution as being somewhere in the middle of being hardcore pro-this or anti-that. Just as an example, take the issue of unions. The hardline extreme left position is that unions are always good and should be made more powerful. The hardline extreme right position is that unions get in the way of the market and should be elliminated. The moderate typically believes that while unions do get in the way, they are a nessecary force to make sure the working man does not get screwed. He also believes that unions should not be allowed to become so powerful that the markets can no longer function as they should. While I would argue that this is closer to the position that most americans hold, we make it difficult for someone holding such a position to get elected. Because his opponents on the left will run ads saying "Joe Moderate is Anti-Union, you should elect Bill Lefty who will make sure you keep your job!" and his opponents on the right will run ads which say "Joe Moderate is too pro union. You should elect Frank Righty who will fight to end union meddling" or something along those lines. So the picture that the average voter gets is that either way, Joe Moderate is bad. And poor joe moderate won't get any money to run couter ads because the unions will give all their money to Bill Lefty who will make sure they get as powerful as they can, and the business leaders will give their money to Frank Righty who will try to end union influence...and suddenly there is no one left to give money to a candidate who endorses a more sensible solution.

That basically sums up my point and why I could never be a politician....I just don't tow the party line on each and every issue. It also explains how people like Tom Coburn get elected in Oklahoma despite platforming that he was going to refuse money going to Oklahoma to prove a point that government spending is excessive.

Also, it is interesting that the democratic party is split between the southerners (moderate on social policy) and northeastererns (far left on every issue). They will have difficulty regaining the white house because their POTUS candidate has to campaign on the far left on social issues that even southern dems disagree with. Meanwhile, republicans are predominantly unified (now that Ross Perot is gone) on most issues and vote the party line.

Fortunately, the geniuses who drafted the Constitution anticipated all this and installed adequate checks and balances so we don't have to change cultures every 4 to 8 years.

9/14/2006, 05:20 PM
Joe Moderate who is for unions, but only if they don't get in the way of the market is for something that is not based in reality. Who's gonna vote for that?

Ike
9/14/2006, 05:23 PM
Joe Moderate who is for unions, but only if they don't get in the way of the market is for something that is not based in reality. Who's gonna vote for that?

nice reading comprehension. Not only if they don't get in the way of the market as you seem to think. But rather limiting the power that unions can wield to a reasonable level rather than elliminating them altogether.

TUSooner
9/14/2006, 08:29 PM
nice reading comprehension. Not only if they don't get in the way of the market as you seem to think. But rather limiting the power that unions can wield to a reasonable level rather than elliminating them altogether.
Well, exactly. I've been on both sides and cussed both union and management. Things worked well only when both sides realized they both needed the enterprise to succeed. (Which was not very often.)

VeeJay
9/14/2006, 08:43 PM
Randi Rhoads -

Wednesday she was teeing off on Cheney. Here's a little of what I heard before I turned off the noise:

"Cheney is so much in love with torture...he should put a personals ad in The Village Voice or some other dirty magazine....he uses electrodes anyway - every day, to get his heart beating....the heart probably just wants to stop beating out of disgust."

They're doing a fantastic job of bringing fence straddlers to their side.

9/14/2006, 11:59 PM
nice reading comprehension. Not only if they don't get in the way of the market as you seem to think. But rather limiting the power that unions can wield to a reasonable level rather than elliminating them altogether.Yeah, and just how is that achieved?

Scott D
9/15/2006, 12:21 AM

nobody ever said that was a good skill of his.

GottaHavePride
9/15/2006, 12:22 AM
what?

I hate flood control.

mildpussy
9/15/2006, 12:51 AM
big tossup on saddest day in my life: (1) Air America files for Ch. 11, or (2) Red Sovine kicks the bucket