PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thought on Owen Field

boomersooner82
9/14/2006, 09:55 AM
I know we get tired of stadium debates, when in reality what we think of future expansion doesn't matter, but anyone who thinks bowling in the south endzone is logistically impossible needs to talk to the guys that worked on Stanford Stadium.

They completely demolished the old stadium and built an entirely new one in 10 months!!! (albeit with 30 thousand fewer seats)

AlabamaSooner
9/14/2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, it seems very possible. Often you'll hear, "but the Switzer Center...". You could enclose it without affecting the Switzer Center. I do think it's kinda cool to be able to look outside the stadium, but we need to close it up eventually though. Even though we're 82,000+ I still hear visitors say "I thought it would be bigger than this". It would also increase crowd volume, helping the environment.

BermudaSooner
9/14/2006, 01:59 PM
It would also increase crowd volume, helping the environment.

Greenpeace wacko. ;)

KingDavid
9/14/2006, 02:10 PM
Speaking of upgrades . . . it would be interesting to research the most cutting edge things that top programs are doing to better their over-all facilities. I know we have the program and the resources to be at the front (and we are) . . . but it would phenomenal if we could somehow do something (without violating rules, of course) that would distinguish along the lines of how Cuban was able to separate the MAVS from the rest of the league by thinking outside the lines.

A stadium expansion would be great . . . and will likely happen . . . but it's kind of ho-hum.

What are some examples of places where we've been the innovators in the past? Where are the best opportunities in the future?

humblesooner
9/14/2006, 02:38 PM
Yes, it seems very possible. Often you'll hear, "but the Switzer Center...". You could enclose it without affecting the Switzer Center. I do think it's kinda cool to be able to look outside the stadium, but we need to close it up eventually though. Even though we're 82,000+ I still hear visitors say "I thought it would be bigger than this". It would also increase crowd volume, helping the environment.

The way to do the expansion is to add an upper deck in the North EZ Going all the way from the East side to the West side. Then give all the season ticket holders in the South EZ those seats for a year or two. Then tear down the South EZ completely (yes, including the Switzer Center) and build a new South EZ matching the North. Then give the North EZ Upper Deck season ticket holders the first shot at getting their S EZ tickets back or staying where they are.

PS - You just have to build a new and improved Switzer Center in the new South EZ. All should be able to be done in 3-4 years maximum.

boomersooner82
9/14/2006, 02:51 PM
The way to do the expansion is to add an upper deck in the North EZ Going all the way from the East side to the West side. Then give all the season ticket holders in the South EZ those seats for a year or two. Then tear down the South EZ completely (yes, including the Switzer Center) and build a new South EZ matching the North. Then give the North EZ Upper Deck season ticket holders the first shot at getting their S EZ tickets back or staying where they are.

PS - You just have to build a new and improved Switzer Center in the new South EZ. All should be able to be done in 3-4 years maximum.

I personally don't like the idea of an upper deck on the north side, at least not before the south end zone is bowled in and gets an upper deck. I like the current setup with the clock and reflecting pool and enjoy approaching from the union and being able to look into the stadium... but again, my opinon matters little.

My point was that if Stanford can find a way to demolish an entire stadium and rebuild a new one from scratch in less than a year, then there has to be a way OU could redo the south of Owen Field in less than a year instead of taking seats away for 3-4 seasons

CatfishSooner
9/14/2006, 02:53 PM
What would our new capacity be after this(if it is even going to be done)????

mrowl
9/14/2006, 02:54 PM
the only thing that needs to be added right now is a new jumbotron and scoreboard in the south end zone. The whole "red box" needs to be taken down and replaced with an LED screen.

SoonerStud615
9/14/2006, 03:10 PM
Here are my three thoughts:
Enclose the South, thats a given.
I also think that if that can be done, we need to take down the west upper deck and replace it with one that looks identicalt to the east side, you could utilize the bottom layer of suites for the press box.
And if that gets done, you could wrap an upper deck all the way around the stadium.

OK2LA
9/14/2006, 03:48 PM
What are some examples of places where we've been the innovators in the past? Where are the best opportunities in the future?

I'm glad you brought this up - I've been putting together a list of "improvements" for our current facilities - please tell me what you think.

1. Increase the stadium capacity to an even 1 million fans. By my calculations, this would allow for an ever increasing Sooner fan base, and would BLOW all the other Div. 1 institutions OUT OF THE WATER in regards to all of this hub-bub about who has the biggest stadium. This would also bring in a TON of $$$ -that huge season ticket holder line is now back down to ZERO!

2. Make the entire stadium MOBILE! Put it up on blocks, and have those GIANT Bigfoot tires underneath it. I mean really - let's embrace our hillbilly roots, and give them a-holes that talk about us living in mobile homes somethin' to think about - How bad arse would that be - to actually CRUSH an opponents stadium while playing a HOME GAME with said opponent being CRUSHED by the SOONERS! - In OUR STADIUM . . . I got a little confused there, but I get goosebumps thinking about all of the posibilities!

3. Re-direct the Canadian River, and have H2O taxi's that take you directly to Dallas for OU/tejas - We might run into a little red tape on this one, but I see you working - think of how cool it would be to Float to Dallas on inner tubes - you might have to leave the week before the game, but DAMN! (I realize that this doesn't exactly fit into the "Stadium Improvement" thread, but I've been excited about this one for a LONG TIME!)

4. Forget about Jumbotrons - the wave of the future is Live RE-ENACTMENT! Build a very large stage where said Jumbotron would go - then have the Drama Department Re-enact the previous play for us! With this we could get really creative, and allow our "actors" to embelish an otherwise close call, to make the Ref's realize just how close it was.

Now I hear what some of you are saying: "That is just too far out there." If someone by the name of The Wright Bros. listened to the naysayers - we'd still be driving around in those model t's and stuff.

Think about it. I'm just sayin'

Pricetag
9/14/2006, 03:58 PM
2. Make the entire stadium MOBILE! Put it up on blocks, and have those GIANT Bigfoot tires underneath it. I mean really - let's embrace our hillbilly roots, and give them a-holes that talk about us living in mobile homes somethin' to think about - How bad arse would that be - to actually CRUSH an opponents stadium while playing a HOME GAME with said opponent being CRUSHED by the SOONERS! - In OUR STADIUM . . . I got a little confused there, but I get goosebumps thinking about all of the posibilities!

Great idea, but I'm thinking tracks instead of tires for the stadium, kinda like that thing that transports the space shuttle has. We could crush the enemy and use their living guts to grease the treads of our stadium.

SoonerStud615
9/14/2006, 04:05 PM
my one concern about adding an upperdeck i nthe north endzone is that we'll start to look like tacklebox a&m :twinkies:

StoopTroup
9/14/2006, 04:07 PM
As long as they can guarantee my 16" of seat space for my two seats...I could care less.

I'm tired of having to put two people in one seat.

KingDavid
9/14/2006, 04:25 PM
I'm glad you brought this up - I've been putting together a list of "improvements" for our current facilities - please tell me what you think.

1. Increase the stadium capacity to an even 1 million fans. By my calculations, this would allow for an ever increasing Sooner fan base, and would BLOW all the other Div. 1 institutions OUT OF THE WATER in regards to all of this hub-bub about who has the biggest stadium. This would also bring in a TON of $$$ -that huge season ticket holder line is now back down to ZERO!

3. Re-direct the Canadian River, and have H2O taxi's that take you directly to Dallas for OU/tejas - We might run into a little red tape on this one, but I see you working - think of how cool it would be to Float to Dallas on inner tubes - you might have to leave the week before the game, but DAMN! (I realize that this doesn't exactly fit into the "Stadium Improvement" thread, but I've been excited about this one for a LONG TIME!)

4. Forget about Jumbotrons - the wave of the future is Live RE-ENACTMENT! Build a very large stage where said Jumbotron would go - then have the Drama Department Re-enact the previous play for us! With this we could get really creative, and allow our "actors" to embelish an otherwise close call, to make the Ref's realize just how close it was.

Now I hear what some of you are saying: "That is just too far out there." If someone by the name of The Wright Bros. listened to the naysayers - we'd still be driving around in those model t's and stuff.

Think about it. I'm just sayin'

This stuff is OK, but I was hoping for some ideas with a little more vision.

See if you can stretch yourself a little further. I mean, what would you say if $$$ were not an issue? Give yourself the freedom to be a little unrealistic, if you will.

StoopTroup
9/14/2006, 04:29 PM
A North Endzone Jumbotron has been recommended by my Doctor.

I have sent my prescription in to President Boran.

Paperclip
9/14/2006, 04:31 PM
I also think that if that can be done, we need to take down the west upper deck and replace it with one that looks identicalt to the east side, you could utilize the bottom layer of suites for the press box.

You may find this odd, but I was having this exact same thought during the UW game. Logistically it probably makes no sense, but I would like the look of it.

Pricetag
9/14/2006, 05:02 PM
We'd lose some capacity, I think. The west upper deck appears to hold many more people than the east one.

stoopified
9/14/2006, 05:14 PM
Whatever is done ,demolishing Memorial Stadium to rebuild is WRONG.Too much history to do that.I am as much in favor of improvements and expansion as the next person but not at the expense of Memorial Stadium history.You will note I do not use that bull$hit name that is attached to it now.That is the first change I want is return the Name to its prper and historical one. Owen Field, Memorial Stadium,The field named in honor of Coach Owen and the staium in honor of the members of our armed services who have fought and bled and too often died to keep freedom alive.I have said it before ,while I have nothing against the Gaylord Family,the money they gave given does not eual the blood currency paid by those who serve our country.Name the new upper deck after them,the parking garage and pavilion addition after them or both I don't care.The stadium is and to me always will be OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM. OK.i am done with my rant.

Jewstin
9/14/2006, 05:20 PM
One word: DOME.

And a retractable, transparent sun-roof for no apparent reason. Maybe a spoiler for added performance ... and rims. Can't forget the rims.

While I'm certain this is completely infeasible (in terms of legal and economic purposes) and probably one of the silliest ideas ever, I've always thought it would be bad-*** to have a stadium somehow straddling the Red River (perhaps at its narrowest) so that I don't actually have to enter Texas to attend the RRSO. The only problem would be getting anyone to pay for its use for events other than the RRSO... and, you know, limitations of reality and physics, etc.

GrapevineSooner
9/14/2006, 05:31 PM
Why not redirect the Canadian river to make it feasible to float the stadium down to Dallas?

sooner KB
9/14/2006, 05:40 PM
If they enclosed the south end, Jenkins would definitely have to be built on and would be completely blocked off. The corner of the stadium would butt right up against the athletic dorms there. We would also lose our current practice field on the other side.

The south endzone is also a different length/slope than the rest of the stadium, but I'm no engineer, so I don't know how that would work out.

And how would you connect both upper decks without tearing down the current one on the westside??? They are completely different.

Miko
9/14/2006, 06:48 PM
Two words:

Beer vendors. :pop:

AlbqSooner
9/14/2006, 07:39 PM
Damn - and I thought the sixties were good to me.
"Roooooooooooooll another one . . ."

Readyfor8
9/14/2006, 09:00 PM
I always thought closing in the Southwest corner, while increasing the Size of the Switzer Center, so that it could come up into the SouthEast Corner would be cool and original.

With that and Heisman Park expansions we would have one of the most diverse and different stadiums in the country. Not to mention the cool broadcasts, extra broadcasts, and having the trophy case overlooking the stadium that could all be done if we had a 3-4 story building in coming into the south east endzone.

bstuff1979
9/15/2006, 07:01 AM
I always thought closing in the Southwest corner, while increasing the Size of the Switzer Center, so that it could come up into the SouthEast Corner would be cool and original.

With that and Heisman Park expansions we would have one of the most diverse and different stadiums in the country. Not to mention the cool broadcasts, extra broadcasts, and having the trophy case overlooking the stadium that could all be done if we had a 3-4 story building in coming into the south east endzone.

Have both open sides of the south endzone filled in with Mt. Rushmore-like sculptures. The Switzer Center side would be easier as there is already something to build it on. The other side may need something thrown up there to help. I'm thinking one of Switzer and one of Wilkenson. Also, on top of the north endzone scoreboard, a statue of Mex (like the stallion/bronco at the old mile-high stadium). Those giant faces would not only scare small children, but giant Switzer looking you down may add to a home field advantage.

OklahomaTuba
9/15/2006, 08:46 AM
We don't need to tear down anything.

Just add on or reconfigure the north endzone and make it look like a pair of undies, and that should do the trick. Maybe expand the east and west sides and have them invert towards the south endzone. Plenty of options, but it will probably take another national championship to do that. And everyone knows the pressbox is next, as the real money is in adding suites

http://www.tp.ohio-state.edu/Events/images/stadium.jpg

Pricetag
9/15/2006, 11:28 AM
I always thought it would be cool if they built the stadium to where it looked like the OU logo from above.

Fraggle145
9/15/2006, 11:36 AM

You are Right on... this would aid in keeping the noise in and would be a way more relevant factor than bowling in the endzone. To keep noise in you have to build up not out...

Fraggle145
9/15/2006, 11:39 AM
but I'm no engineer, so I don't know how that would work out.

And how would you connect both upper decks without tearing down the current one on the westside??? They are completely different.

Like you said you arent an engineer... they dont have to line up to where they were actually attatched...